MAGS October: "Hallowe'en" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/10/2014 21:42:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Hallowe'en'

This month's guidelines were set by Stupot:

Trick or treat?

There are spooOOooky goings on in the AGS neighbourhood. All Hallow's Eve is upon us and the creatures of the night are a-stirring. No one can stop the Beast Fiesta. But the skeletons and mummies and witch-zombies and spectres just want to play, that's all. So give them something to play.

The theme for this month's MAGS is Hallowe'en.

There are no rules but the game must be set on Hallowe'en (October 31st).
It doesn't have to be horror as such, but Hallowe'en must inform the plot and/or gameplay.

The deadline is October 30th. Why? Just because I thought it would be a neat idea to bundle them up and release them all together on Hallowe'en.

Ending 31st October

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

I might bodge something very short together for this one...I think I can't resist the theme!!! But very limited time because of my school's Halloween Party being our biggest event of the year...

LAST YEAR WE DID THIS

...and this year we are getting even MORE ambitious with an "Alice In Wonderland" themed adventure room...

But I have a few ideas...let's see what happens (laugh)

yamipanda

Sounds fun. Does anyone want to collaborate, since I can't draw? (I pushed my artistic talents to the extreme limits with The Case of the Stolen Moustache)
Doing a game together with Ghost. :)

LRH

I actually started working on a Halloween themed game a little over a week ago.  I'm considering entering but it doesn't seem entirely fair. Anyone know the law on this?

Atelier

Sorry, you can't enter with anything that you created, in whole or in part, before the competition started!

LRH

Well, fair enough. I'll release it on its own.

Myshkin

That is a pretty epic party you made there, Mandle. If you can do that and also make a complete game I'll be very impressed :-D

Mandle

Quote from: Emont on Fri 03/10/2014 10:56:28
That is a pretty epic party you made there, Mandle. If you can do that and also make a complete game I'll be very impressed :-D

Well...this next one isn't going to be a "complete" adventure game like last month...More of a stand-alone mini-game, but if what I'm planning is possible I think the community might be able to have some fun with it... And I just got the nod from AprilSkies on coding help, and if a guy that can make a 2D racing arcade-game in AGS can't do it, then noone can... (maybe Khris...but that's kinda like saying "But God can do it...")

I'm figuring about 2 weeks work, on and off...We will see I suppose...And I will need a few testers. Not really heavy-lifting testing like constant game-breaking, bug-spotting (it's not gonna be that complex a project). More of a "test-of-concept" kind of testing, to see if it's actually any fun/practical to use the thing...

miguel

No dude, you have it all wrong, Khris coding skills are pragmatic, exact and reliable, while God would do it in a different way.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: miguel on Sat 04/10/2014 01:11:18
No dude, you have it all wrong, Khris coding skills are pragmatic, exact and reliable, while God would do it in a different way.

So to get the best of both worlds and the most awesome result:
a) Make Khris code a better God
b) Have God make a downright wacky Khris
c) Splice the results
d) See the release of Tony Hawk's Jedi Knight Guitar Hero: The Point And Click Adventure Game (starring Oceanspirit Dennis)

Mandle

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 04/10/2014 02:38:32
Quote from: miguel on Sat 04/10/2014 01:11:18

So to get the best of both worlds and the most awesome result:
a) Make Khris code a better God
b) Have God make a downright wacky Khris
c) Splice the results
d) See the release of Tony Hawk's Jedi Knight Guitar Hero: The Point And Click Adventure Game (starring Oceanspirit Dennis)

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

miguel

Mandle

Update of progress:

Well, first time your eyes are going to be destroyed by a scene 100% hand drawn by myself:

The project's name is:

T.O.T.S. (Trick Or Treat Simulator)

The actual gameplay is still kinda secret, but home-owners will be able to customize their houses with various Halloween decorations as seen in the above picture...

Now I have to get out my sewing kit and design some costumes for those who decide to arrive at said houses as Trick Or Treaters...

AprilSkies

This is awesome Mandle!
Only now I discover that you're a great pixelator!!!!!!!
and now that you're also able to draw this way, who'll stop you from making games??

www.apemarina.altervista.org

Mandle

Quote from: AprilSkies on Sun 05/10/2014 15:12:28
This is awesome Mandle!
Only now I discover that you're a great pixelator!!!!!!!
and now that you're also able to draw this way, who'll stop you from making games??

NO PIXEL LEFT BEHIND!!!

That's my motto...

Or something...

Cassiebsg

That's a great BG and am looking forward to see what you come up with this time. :)

HanaIndiana

Love the background Mandle! BOO!

Adeel

I'm sorry but I won't be entering this month's competition. This theme has been used to death by hundreds of games that now it fails to inspire me. I tried coming up something for this month's MAGS but failed to do so.

Stupot

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 07/10/2014 08:48:53
I'm sorry but I won't be entering this month's competition. This theme has been used to death by hundreds of games that now it fails to inspire me. I tried coming up something for this month's MAGS but failed to do so.
Sorry you feel that way, bro. I checked and there didn't seem to have been a Halloween MAGS for over ten years, so I thought it was about time. Plus I liked the idea of packaging them up as a little themed bundle, though we might not have enough entries to make it worthwhile.

@Mandle - nice All Hallow's Doorstep. ooOooooOOOoooOOOO

miguel

I'm in again! :=
Honestly, I'm still finishing last month's game but will enter this one, hopefully in time!

Adeel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 07/10/2014 12:41:46Sorry you feel that way, bro. I checked and there didn't seem to have been a Halloween MAGS for over ten years, so I thought it was about time. Plus I liked the idea of packaging them up as a little themed bundle, though we might not have enough entries to make it worthwhile.

I apologize if that came as hard and/or rude. By no means that post was directed at you. I didn't know that this theme had not been chosen for over ten years. It's just that I've seen too many Halloween games that now I feel uninspired. This feeling might also be due to the fact that I'm 'foreign' to this festival. I've read up on it quite a bit but that's all. I failed to get the true spirit and/or essence of this festival.

Stupot

No need to apologise mate. I know it's not a very original theme, but just seemed like a good idea at the time.

@Miguel, I look forward to both of your games, sir :-)

Mandle

Well...I've got almost all the house decorations done, and working myself up to start work on the Trick-Or-Treaters' costumes, and AprilSkies has coded the PvP interactive file import/export thingy I need to make the whole shebang actually work...Now I just need to code an actual structure his code can get plugged into...

I will release it in a ready-or-not state anyways by the deadline, but I hope I can get it completed in full...

We will see...

Cassiebsg

Good luck Mandel! :)
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

miguel

Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 07/10/2014 15:20:45

You are very kind Stupot,
I've released the September entry and am from tomorrow working on this month's game.

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Fri 10/10/2014 00:55:25
Quote from: Stupot+ on Tue 07/10/2014 15:20:45

You are very kind Stupot,
I've released the September entry and am from tomorrow working on this month's game.

I'm sensing that you have the brilliant idea to make a game series and adapt it to the MAGS theme, no matter what, in chapters...This would be exciting for you and us (the players)...We get to play your games and anticipate your next response to the MAGS theme at the same time...

Here's what I think you're planning right now:

Spoiler
I sense our heroine will be making a large drug-deal on Halloween Eve and come across some complications requiring her to pull out her gun and get all bad-ass on everyone again...
[close]

As for my own project: Well, I coded a lot today but run across some ridiculous problem in my coding where "oBject.VisibleTransparency =" worked perfectly as long as it was 80% and failed totally when I changed it to 75%...I wasted about 2 hours searching for the problem because I wanted the learning experience, but finally caved and went back to the working 80%...

I'm sure I will slap myself in the head when I learn the problem...But for now it's time to move on...

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 10/10/2014 16:42:40
worked perfectly as long as it was 80% and failed totally when I changed it to 75%....

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but have you tried 76% or 74%? I seem to vaguely remember reading something about 75 not working, but might be totally unrelated to this and it could even be a completely different number (I'm a bit dyslexic when it comes to numbers). Just a thought, and probably not to hard to test.

Stupot

Isn't .Visible a true or false? Maybe you need .Transparency instead?

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 10/10/2014 17:23:41
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 10/10/2014 16:42:40
worked perfectly as long as it was 80% and failed totally when I changed it to 75%....

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but have you tried 76% or 74%? I seem to vaguely remember reading something about 75 not working, but might be totally unrelated to this and it could even be a completely different number (I'm a bit dyslexic when it comes to numbers). Just a thought, and probably not to hard to test.

Hmmmm...I'll look into that, thanks!

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 10/10/2014 17:52:38
Isn't .Visible a true or false? Maybe you need .Transparency instead?

Ah yeah...I meant to type .Transparency and failed...Cheers!

miguel

Mandle, get your transparency shit together dude!

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Sat 11/10/2014 00:49:01
Mandle, get your transparency shit together dude!

Tranparent? Shit? Reminds me of an old Aussie joke that's too racist to repeat here...

Anyways, will do!

In further exciting news, I have received an offer from a talented musician to do music for the project! Can't wait to see what develops there!

Not much progress since last time...I planned to get a ton done over this weekend past but my wife threw her back out at work and I've kinda been playing nursemaid instead.

Hopefully tonight/tomorrow I can get stuck into it again...

miguel

Been working on this month's game pretty much every day, I don't want to miss the deadline again due to laziness.
Is it only me and Mandle this month?

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Thu 16/10/2014 12:38:14
Is it only me and Mandle this month?

Oh crap...Now I GOTTA get this thing out on time...Can't have you winning by default! Much better if you win by crushing me!

Stupot

I think it might just be you two. So much for the Halloween bundle, hehe. Still, looking forward to them. I still haven't played your last one Miguel, so I might play them together when this one comes out :-)

Nightfable

I may join although it's a bit late now, I won't have much time to put something together. How many rooms, minimum, can we have for a mags?

Cassiebsg

I think one is probably the minimum... then again, if you make a game that only uses a GUI, then you probably get away with zero rooms.... (laugh)(roll)

Atelier

No room number needed - as many or as little as you like! Doesn't even need to have a 'room' as such - could be some other type of game, like a simulator.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Thu 16/10/2014 20:06:20
I think one is probably the minimum... then again, if you make a game that only uses a GUI, then you probably get away with zero rooms.... (laugh)(roll)

ORLY?! (laugh)

miguel

Stupot thanks, let's see if I don't screw up this month's entry as well. I want to crush Mandle's dreams of a default victory.

Dread Spectacle

I will be attempting a game for this month's competition. So far I am calling the game "A Tainted Treat". I have been working on improving my isometric pixel drawing and thought this would be a good test.  Below is a small sample. This is just a piece of one background, I can't use a whole one because the game will probably only have four or five. My game will also feature overly simplistic puzzles and shoddily done animations. Stay tuned for updates.

Mandle

Quote from: miguel on Fri 17/10/2014 01:07:28
Stupot thanks, let's see if I don't screw up this month's entry as well. I want to crush Mandle's dreams of a default victory.

Ah....my post had a c/p typo thingy:

Was supposed to say:

"Oh crap...Now I GOTTA get this thing out on time...Can't have you winning by default! Much better if you win by crushing me!"

Anyways...looks like we have a new entrant!!!

WELCOME to Dread Spectacle!!!

Never mind the simple puzzles and animations:

JUST LET US PLAY YOUR GAME!!! (because that crystal-clear isometric style is a wonder to behold in itself!)

miguel

Mandle speaks words of wisdom, Dread Spectacle.

Nightfable

I'm gonna destroy you with my  awesome super-duper advanced programming skills!!

Not... :(

It may make you laugh, at least. (laugh)

miguel

So then they were four...

Okay, finished the first half of the game (playable intro) and am now moving to the core of this chapter. 10 days left...

Mandle

First successful test is complete over the interwebs:

My 2-Player interaction without any file-swapping concept is confirmed as possible:

Mostly due to the 1337 coding skillz of this guy:

Quote from: AprilSkies on Sun 19/10/2014 15:52:47
IT

WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

\o/

I SAW THIS:

WOW THE GRAPHIC IS EXCELLENT MATE!!!

This was the house I decorated and sent to AprilSkies as a text message, which he was able to copy/paste into the game and view as intended...

Now that I know the concept works...DAMNIT! I actually have to complete this thing on time... :-\

Nightfable

My intro works. I'm currently trying to put the game together with placeholders since my backgrounds and animations are largely unfinished.

I'm crossing my fingers I'm able to finish this on time.

Wishing everyone some luck.

AprilSkies

Nightfable!
The first screenie is marvelous.
So VGA from 1990.
I see nothing so unfinished there. You can already Keep it exactly like it is. It's so cool already!

Cassiebsg

I agree with AprilSkies! t looks awesome! :)
Looking forward for more!

selmiak

thirded! This looks awesome.
I get a very halloweenish feel from TrickOrTreating at Brugo's Brothel of Brorror.
The perspective on the cupboard and clock in the b/w screen seems to be off though.

Mandle

Nightfable: Your game already has me wetting my pants in two regards:

Pants-wetting-regard-the-first: The game looks incredible and I can't wait to play it!!!

Pants-wetting-regard-the-second: My own game is way behind schedule and I have to pretty much get the whole thing finished tomorrow or not as the rest of the month is booked for RL work...

As to my own progress:

Well, I got three Trick-Or-Treaters' costumes finished tonight...I think that might be it for now: My sewing fingers are raw to the bone...

Tomorrow I look forward to coding the entire thing that makes the game actually work...

YAWN!

HanaIndiana

Dear MAGS October entries to come,

Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow
!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!Wow!
Wow!Wow!

Wow'd,
HanaIndiana

Mandle

Well, I didn't manage to completely pull off the coding coup I had hoped for today, but major progress was still made...

I've passed the deadline into my RL timescale and now I will have to put stuff together a bit at a time instead of in major blocks...

Almooooost theeeereeee....

Stay on target!!!

miguel

Did some good progress this morning and am feeling happy with how things are developing.
There's a good chance of delivering it on time.

Nightfable

I'm giving myself 2 days to finish the backgrounds, 2 days to finish the animations and 2 more days for the coding.

So far I have my first puzzles working -- it's the first time I've ever used a variable in a game. I'm actually very proud of myself, lol! :-[

Mandle

Gurok

The walk sprite for that pug looks a little small. You could ask Seventeen Uncles to guest sprite it for you. ;-)
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mandle

Well...instead of getting the game working fully, tonight I instead worked on expanding the content: Just wasn't in the mood for coding I guess...

The good news is that the possible Trick-Or-Treaters' costume variations has expanded from a possible 9 combinations to a possible 36 combinations, even if some sprites are kind of just lame paint-overs at this point...

Well, here's a pic of an under-decorated house and a decked-out Trick-Or-Treater:

Hopefully I can release the game by Wednesday I'm thinking...

Mandle

Locked in on target finally...Had a battle with myself tonight with coding that led to a moment of self-realization:

My problems with coding come down to an internal and possibly unwinable struggle between stupidity and perserverance: I have to perservere enough to overcome my stupidity, and I have to be stupid enough to perservere for that long...

Now I have a bunch of junk-code used for debugging that I have to hunt down and kill tomorrow, then just a bit of finishing up....and then release I think!

miguel

Time is running fast but I can do it this time. I'm only missing the last scene and a set of walking sprites.
Turned out bigger than I thought although is still a short game :=

Because everybody is posting pictures here's a close-up done C64 fashion:

I also would like to learn how to zoom pictures (roll) Thank you Tabby!!!!

Nightfable

I won't be able to finish mine in time. I caught my daughter's stomach flu and have been sick for the past two days.

I'll make it available for download when I can. Sorry, guys.  :(

Mandle

Miguel: I love the retro feel like in the last one!

Nightfable: Aw shucks! I hope you feel better soon...Selfish reason really though: I want to play your game!

As for myself...Well, I'm almost there...Stupid bugs are killing me right now but I'm just gonna have to release despite them. Nothing game-breaking I hope...

Gotta get done in the next 2 hours so bye for now!

shaun9991

Nightfable, your game looks incredible - I love the graphics! Looking forward to playing it.
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Mandle

Well, here it is...Not perfect yet and still has some issues (detailed below) but playable I think:

T.O.T.S: Trick-Or-Treat Simulator

This game was created for the October 2014 MAGS Contest. The theme of the contest was "Halloween".

My little effort is an attempt at a 2-player simulation of a child Trick-Or-Treating on Halloween. By 2-player I mean that two people participate in the game over the internet. However, the game is turn-based, not real-time, and no direct net connection to each other, or file-swapping is needed.

The data is transferred via a file in the game folder called "Halloween.txt". Just open the file, select-all, copy, and send the text to another player via PM etc, or simply post it on the forums as an open invitation to play, as I will do below. The second player then copies this text and pastes it into their own Halloween.txt file in their own game folder, starts the game, and selects the "Continue" option.

Players can decorate their houses for Halloween, mix-and-match pieces of Halloween costumes to dress up in, talk with each other in-game, slam doors in faces, give treats, play tricks etc!!!

Here are some screenies:

The above shot shows Player 2 selecting their costume.

Here's a shot of Player 2 announcing their presence.

Player 1 has opened the door here and is saying something to Player 2.

FEATURES:

* Spooky Halloween atmosphere. (I hope)
* Nice creepy music by JasonB!
* Customizable Halloween house decorating!!
* Customizable Halloween costume making!!
* Tricks!!!
* Treats!!!
* Two-player play without using a net-link or file-swapping!

KNOWN ISSUES:

* Currently legal characters usable in player names and messages are:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz !+$%&'()=;:,.?0123456789-

IMPORTANT: The + and ? characters were NOT available in the original download when the game was released so please re-download the newer version at the same link.

If you use characters that are not on this list the game data in the Halloween.txt file will become corrupted. The game is still playable but house decorations, costumes, and player names will all go out-of-whack. I will code a fix for this oversight but it's quite a big job so will have to wait. As long as you stick to these basic characters and punctuation for now the game should be fine.

*Previous issues with long player messages containing typos have been fixed in the latest version.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!

Mandle

Oh....and here's my house open for any Trick-Or-Treaters who would like to stop by:

A*DM**g**a*n**d****r***d***l****e**b*R****VT****F***N**********************y**Ua****V***u**K******U***************************************************

Just copy/paste that over the data already in the Halloween.txt file in your game folder, start the game, hit Continue, and follow the in-game instructions to visit me! Feel free to PM me your data after you get into costume and I will open the door for you and maybe we can have a little chat and you might get some yummy treats too!

(It's a good idea to set font size to 6 or so or that line of data really stretches the forums screen out)

yamipanda

Meh. Couldn't finish mine on time. :(

miguel

Dread Spectacle

My game will be ready in a couple hours.  It'll be a little rough but fully functional.

Mandle

Quote from: Dread Spectacle on Fri 31/10/2014 20:59:21
My game will be ready in a couple hours.  It'll be a little rough but fully functional.

AWESOME! Can't wait! :)

Dread Spectacle

My game is complete. I'm sure I'll be the proud winner of last place with this creation. I was unable to get the main character to walk to a spot when looking/interacting/inventory using. But it doesn't hamper the game too much. I would have liked to add some more interaction to make the world a little bit more alive but I guess you can't have everything in a month.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Mandle

WOAH! Looks amazing! Now I have two new Halloween games to drool over tonight!

Cassiebsg

Congrats on the release Dread Spectacle... even though I would have loved it that it was bit longer, but what is there is good.
You even got me stumped for a few minutes...(roll)
There's few typos and missing "description names", but otherwise just fine. :)

Oh...
Spoiler

You left the debug mode on. :P
[close]

Mandle

Quote from: Dread Spectacle on Fri 31/10/2014 23:15:21
My game is complete. I'm sure I'll be the proud winner of last place with this creation. I was unable to get the main character to walk to a spot when looking/interacting/inventory using. But it doesn't hamper the game too much. I would have liked to add some more interaction to make the world a little bit more alive but I guess you can't have everything in a month.

DOWNLOAD HERE

I must say that I absolutely LOVED your game!

Spoiler
Sure it lacks a lot of the proper interactions between cursors and most hotspots etc. Sure the gameplay is quite directionless EXCEPT that you know this is the night that changed your life forever...which intrigues you enough to keep playing...

At the end of the day, the great story you have created:

BIG SPOILER WARNING:
Spoiler
A kid selling his soul for a treat by being mistaken for a real demon in his costume (after disobeying his parent).
[close]

is what I LOVE most about this game!

Second only to the awesome and moody graphics which you obviously did not have time to fully flesh out: I sooooo want to see the rest of the neighborhood you had planned out but did not have the time to finish...

There are however, quite large problems with:

BIG SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler
I had a LOT of trouble finding the Element Corner hotspot (it was one pixel wide) and even the Beast Corner Hotspot was iffy...You really need to make these hotspots much larger: With a MAGS game the players are just going to give up at this point assuming that the game is broken and they cannot progress further...
[close]

BUT! Wonderful entry that definitely gets my vote!

Cheers for the Halloween fun!
[close]

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 01/11/2014 14:43:07
BIG SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler
I had a LOT of trouble finding the Element Corner hotspot (it was one pixel wide) and even the Beast Corner Hotspot was iffy...You really need to make these hotspots much larger: With a MAGS game the players are just going to give up at this point assuming that the game is broken and they cannot progress further...
[close]
Spoiler

Funny, I had trouble with the hotspots right in the bedroom, but as soon as I realized that there was a mouse over name display for hotspots and objects, I had no longer problem with. Just moving the mouse very slowly where the "logical" hotspot should be until the name appeared, solved the problem. :)
My problem was actually finding the path to the haunted house... I thought "that" was actually an elevation on the terrain, with maybe something buried that did not make it to the game. So I went up and down the street a couple of times, tried to cross the street, find a missing hotspot somewhere... until my little demon started walking another way...
A brown/tan color instead would probably had been better to determine that that was a path... but might just be me. (laugh)
[close]

Mandle

I had a bit of trouble with the same thing Cassie just mentioned actually, but I just kind of wrote it off as an extra challenge for the player in a fairly short game. I assume that more graphical hints were planned to make it more obvious what it was, such as a sign, a fence, or somesuch, but time just ran out?

AprilSkies

Congratz to all the partecipants!
I played Mandle's one and playing Miguel's one. after Miguel's I'm going to play Dread Spectacle's one!
@Dread Spectacle: why don't you open a "Complete games announcement" thread?

Atelier

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delay - I'll open voting and start MAGS November as soon as I can later today.

Dread Spectacle

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments regarding my game. I apologize for the issues you had during gameplay. About the small hotspots, I was thinking the status bar gui would help alleviate that since a player could see when on a hotspot but I'll use larger hotspots in the future.
Spoiler
It may be too dark or not obvious enough but there is a tree branch in the shape of a pointing finger that was intended to help lead the player to the old house.
[close]
I was thinking I would put it in the "Completed Games Announcement" thread in a weeks (after fixing a few things) but I'll go ahead and do that now.

Mandle

I vote for: A Tainted Treat

Miguel's effort was also awesome (as usual) but I must say that I had the most fun with Dread Spectacle's game: It fitted the theme perfectly, being a Trick-Or-Treating misadventure set on Halloween night. I really hope to see more games from this author!

MAGS Host

Big apologies for not opening voting officially, I've been mental hectic busy this past week. Here are our entries:

1    Mandle's T.O.T.S: Trick-Or-Treat Simulator: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51070.msg636499249#msg636499249
2    Miguel's Charamba - Chapter 2: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51070.msg636499306#msg636499306
3    Dread Spectacle's A Tainted Treat: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51070.msg636499331#msg636499331

Please PM this account with you vote by the 21st November!

Cassiebsg

Quote from: MAGS Host on Fri 07/11/2014 19:41:42
Please PM this account with you vote by the 2st November!

You do realize that that~s kind of hard... unless you use Minifeg's time machine... but no garantees where you'll end up...;-D

ArgyBoi

Played them all (I should be working on my own MAGS game, shouldn't I?) and vote sent to Atelier via PM!
Congratulations guys, I liked all the entries, so It was a difficult choice to make!

AprilSkies

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 07/11/2014 20:29:23
Quote from: MAGS Host on Fri 07/11/2014 19:41:42
Please PM this account with you vote by the 2st November!

You do realize that that~s kind of hard... unless you use Minifeg's time machine... but no garantees where you'll end up...;-D

Voted. I also put a time macchine in one of my games (in Donald Dowell) so I used that one to vote ^^

Mandle

Quote from: AprilSkies on Sat 08/11/2014 15:38:27
Voted. I also put a time macchine in one of my games (in Donald Dowell) so I used that one to vote ^^

Did you remember your history enough to click the BC/AD switch just right? Otherwise you might be voting for the outcome of a Pelota match instead...

AprilSkies

Quote from: Mandle on Sat 08/11/2014 16:53:16
Did you remember your history enough to click the BC/AD switch just right?
(laugh)

MAGS Host

Votes are in!

Dread Spectacle's A Tainted Treat - 3 votes
Mandle's T.O.T.S: Trick-Or-Treat Simulator - 1 vote

Congrats Dread Spectacle!

miguel

I want to thank my family for not supporting my game-making passion, I also want to thank God for not getting a single vote! Witch I don't think is unfair because he did give me a huge penis so I guess the Universe is balanced and makes sense.

Adeel

But did God give you testicles along with a huge penis as well?

Anyway, congrats, miguel.

Atelier

Quote from: miguel on Sun 23/11/2014 12:30:37
I also want to thank God for not getting a single vote! Witch I don't think is unfair because he did give me a huge penis so I guess the Universe is balanced and makes sense.

It's common knowledge that 1 vote = minus 1 inch.

AprilSkies

Quote from: miguel on Sun 23/11/2014 12:30:37
I want to thank my family for not supporting my game-making passion, I also want to thank God for not getting a single vote! Witch I don't think is unfair because he did give me a huge penis so I guess the Universe is balanced and makes sense.
AHAHAHAHAHAHA!
ROFL IRL!

Joking aside, Miguel's game deserved votes, and Miguel himself don't deserve a huge penis.
I voted mandle's one... For its "originality", but if I didn't vote for TOTS, I would vote for Miguel.

BTW, congrats Dread Spectacle, also a great game!

Dread Spectacle

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who played my game and voted for it. It is truly an honor to be the winner especially when the other entries were so outstanding. It is a gratifying feeling to think that someone might have actually enjoyed my little story. It makes all the hard work and frustration worthwhile. I have made some progress on a more polished version but it's a busy time of year and I probably won't have it finished for a while. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open for another interesting MAGS theme.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Dread Spectacle on Tue 25/11/2014 15:13:06
I have made some progress on a more polished version
I have the same complaint as everyone else : (SPOILER)
Spoiler

- I picked up the salamander, went to the devil's house. Put the salamander on the altar.
- I noticed that the "element" hotspot was there.
- I went back to town to pick up the mercury, and then went again to the altar.
- I couldn't find the "element" hotspot, to put the mercury on it. I looked for it with the mouse, it's like it had disappeared (I've read here that some people say it's 1-pixel wide?) I gave up and never finished the game
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk