What's an Hourgame competition?
The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is to encourage amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you plant your ass in your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and very short deadline (i.e. one hour).
When will it take place?
This Hourgame session will take place on Saturday 7th August 2010. Starting at 19:00 BST (14:00 New York, 20:00 Johannesburg) participants will have an hour to make their games + 15 minutes to beta test / upload (i.e. the deadline is 20:15 BST).
How do I participate?
A theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence. It will be announced on IRC (3 simple steps to IRC
) and here.
Why should I participate?
Because it's FUN!
Research shows that Hourgames get the creative juices going and will aid for healthier game building skills.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existing AGS template for your game (e.g. the Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.
- You are allowed to use previous Hoursongs (Should we create a list somewhere?).
If you have Camtasia or Camtasia-esque software, it would be great to see your "Making of"! Or blog about it, or just open Notepad, do something! No twittering.
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
(Recommended by Magma42, referral link)
Or your own place.
In honor of M. Night Shymalan's birthday yesterday, this week's theme is...
THE ABSURD TWIST ENDING
Just tell us your favourite game. You don't have to enter to vote!
(If you want to tell us what you liked and disliked about all the entries, that would be super nice of you!)
After all games are in you are encouraged to vote, again, you don't have to enter to vote. Voting closes the next Saturday (August 14)
Please post below if you're interested in participating, if the change in time will/won't work for you, or if you have any other questions.
If you are unable to make the scheduled time, but wish to participate anyway, say so in this thread and we can work out a scheduled hour at your convenience to make your submission (Earlier that day for instance).
Hope to see you there!