Which were your first games ever?

Started by PureGhostGR, Fri 05/12/2003 08:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonRose

First ever... this is really hard. Not because I don't remember the games- which I do- it's just that I couldn't read at the time so I made up names. My parents thought this was adorable so they never used the real names either.  I think it was probably "Asteroids" for the Atari ST.  I called it "Crash Moons." You had to shoot at bright green asteroids to prevent them from hitting your triangle-ship.

First game on the PC was probably "Where in the World is Carment Sandiago." I never managed to catch her, because I never found any way to save.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

LordHart

Quote from: Captain Mostly on Fri 05/12/2003 15:55:18
As does SPACE WARS (although not the origional version)

There was more than one version? I had it on the very old Milton Bradley Vetrex... now that was a system... those lines were absolutely brilliant!

Darth Mandarb

We had Pong ... it wasn't an Atari unit.  It was a stand alone thing ... I can't remember what it was called.  I think it was called just 'Pong'.

That's my earliest memory.

We had every computer/game console that came out back in the day (my father is a techno-junky)  Atari (all versions), Colleco Vision, commodore, apple, nintendo ... it just goes on and on.

Some of my favorite game memories ...

Atari Console ...
Pitfall - the original
Pac-Man - who didn't love this game (if you can remember when it came out!)
Frogger
Galahad - (similar to Castle Adventure ... but more primitive)

Atari Computer ...
Quasimodo
Raid on Fractillis
Leather Goddess of the Phobes - what a bizarre game!
The Lounge Lizard - yes!  It was Leisure Suit Larry's first introduction.  It was text based (no graphics)

PC Games ...
XO Football
Sierra Games - King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, LSL ... it was all history from this point on!
Wing Commander
Wing Commander II - That opening scene when the Kilrathi actually spoke!!!  It was the first time I had actually hear talking (movie like talking) in a game!  I was floored!  "My stealth fighters distroyed the Tiger's Claw at K'tith Rak Mang ..."  historic!!

EDIT How could I forget ...
Apple IIe ...
The Oregon Trail

There's literally 100s more games ... I could just go on and on and  on and on ...

])]v[

Rincewind

I was going to say that it was my SNES - Which I got around the time when it was on the peak of it's popularity, but then I remembered how I, when I was really young, used to play at my older brothers Commodore C64. He had a whole bunch of games, but the one that I probably played first of them all and enjoyed the most as well was "Live And let Die", a James Bond boat-racing game that I will always love not only because the game itself, but also for that incredibly cool sound effect when you picked up a fuel tank... It was some sort of odd c64:ed version of the James Bond Theme, I'd reckon, but to me it just sounded like "Bah-da-daa"... Aah...

And there was another game as well, which was quite fun - It was a simple platformer,  where you walked around as tiny man in some sort of maze, where there were several obsacles or enemies, which you of course died by touching...
Still, that wasn't what I remember most from it. The thing I memorized more than anything else was that horrible, monotonous music... It was like nothing else you've heard... I can't really describe it in words, you'd have to hear it to understand...
The worst thing is that I can't remember what the heck the name of the game was... Man, I really need to play it again...

Ah, I love nostalgia... :) I still haven't quite forgotten him for giving away the C64, though... Dang...

juncmodule

Darth, it was called just Pong. It was the first home video game system ever. I believe Sears distributed it.

My father was a tech junkie too. The first computer I recall was the TRS-80 (not sure which version, had the disk drives, screen, and keyboard all in one unit...I think). I used to play berzerk on it (I think that is what it is called, one man in a room with other pixel men running at him while you shoot him with your pixel). Also this game called Asylum. It was a text adventure/first person maze type thing.

We had an Atari of course. That horrible Atari pacman, pitfall, and the infamous E.T.

Later we moved on to the Atari ST which was my introduction to Sierra and adventure games. We played King's Quest a lot but, I was only half interested. It was Space Quest that won me over. I remember the first time I saw it was at this meeting me and my dad used to go to at a local elementary school. It was basically a meeting for software pirates. It was great. One of the guys there had a copy of Space Quest before it was released to the public. It was great.

My forray into PC's were a little late, as well as LucasArts games. I purchased and played FoA, MI1, MI2, MI3, Full Throttle, DOTT, and Sam and Max just this year. It's been a good year for adventure games for me. I didn't own my first Windows PC until well after Win98 was released(2000 maybe?). Up until then I still had a 8088 and then about a year before the Win98 machine a 486DX with Win 3.11

Wee!

later,
-junc

foz

First machine was pong.........binatone it had five games soccer,tennis sqaush all various pong games.

then coleco vision.......zaxxon,donkey kong, and a game called turbo that had its own steering wheel ..thats was back in 1982 i think it was any how...

then the spectum(excellent machine...)  jet set willy ,knightlore, sabourter, popeye.........this was the machine that had me hooked on computers.

C64......i can`t remember any games on this but they were all good.

amiga......another excellent machine well worth the 400 quid it cost....1988 i think it was...
maniac mansion,zak mckrakken,operation stealth,monkey island games and every other game you could mention..........i still have my old amiga 1200 in the loft....(i must get the thing out and fire it up some day.)

pc....full throttle.......made me buy a pc as it was outstanding in its day......talkie adventures were new then.

the dig (tops).....day of the testicle..(all time favourite)....

Shit........... i`ve spent a lot of my life playing computer games....

Scavenger

I can't remember! My childhood (early) had two major things in it:

Home:
Frogger
Digger
Space Invaders
Pacman
Stuff (can't remember the name. Blue screen. I think it was Wordstar =P)

Grandparents:
It HAD to be Simon the Sorcerer. StS rocks my socks from the day I first played it to this very present day. The graphics were superb, the music delicious and I could even imitate most of the voices in it =). I was even scared of Sordid! I felt for the Swampling! I laughed at every single joke in it! =P I am the ultimate StS nut. And guess what age? 4-5. When it was first released =) I must thank my nan and granddad one day for owning such a beautiful game. Unfortunately, the copy I owned fell into the hands of my cousins, who probably sold it. Waah.

Anyway. I think it was years before I got my hands on Monkey Island... at least 1999.

Domino

My first experience with playing games
was way back in the 1970's with Pong, and then
later on with the Atari 2600 during the early to
mid 1980's. But the one experience i do remember
the most was playing Kings Quest 1 for the first
time back in 1984. I think we had a Tandy 1000
computer at the time, and it was the first time i
had ever seen anything like it. I was amazed at
how i could control this character on screen with
a joystick. I think thats what started my love of
adventure games.

Well fast forward to 2003, and geez i pretty much
have all the major console sytems. NES, SNES,
N64, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast,
Game Boy Advance and Playstation 2.

well i am a GAMER, hence my username. I have alot of favorites, but i would say Kings Quest 1, is right there at the top.

Shawn  :)

well, I didn't discover adventuregames until -97.
my first game must have been virtua fighter. it sucks. i know...
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Ben

I remember my first game. It was Captain Comic. I think my dad ordered it from some mail-order company. This was back when people paid for sharaware games. I think we also had the Last Half of Darkness, which was a first-person adventure. I remember one room in the game where two girls were playing, and if you clicked on them, one of them would stab you and drink your blood. It was just still EGA graphics, but I almost pissed my pants.

After that I think we got another big batch of shareware games from Apogee. We paid for these too. It had Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, and the original Duke Nukem, among other things. I think that was the point when I became a geek. I remember I used to tell my friends every excruciating detail of every single game I played, and drew millions of pictures of games I wanted to make. I was a weird kid.

My first commercial games were Lemmings and Fate of Atlantis. Even at the age of eight, I knew that nobody kicked ass more than Indiana Jones.

Then in 1994 we got our first modem. We had a billion shareware games after that. And we didn't even have to pay a dollar per disk for them.

Evil

My first adventure game was Gobliins II. I also had a genisis...

Sonic 2, and 3D
Aladin
Desert Strike
Jungle Book
Ronald McDonald's something or other
Aerobiz
Toy Story

There where some others too I think...

earlwood

As I have stated before, KQ2 was the first graphical game I played (Red Dragon being the first game I have played, Weapon:Serrated Penguin) Hagatha along side the first time I heard The Ripper by Judas Priest, Made for a most terrifing experiences when trying to sleep, showering,entering a room, or playing hide n' seek in the dark.

Goldmund

The first game I've played... this was back in - I don't know - 1986? 1985?
It was a Polish amateur game on ZX Spectrum (48 kb !!!) - the title translated to something like Fuckstress the Princess.
So, as you can see, I'm with amateur scene since it started...

evenwolf

In the early nineties my grandma decided to buy my brother and me a computer.  It must have had something to do with him typing school papers or something, but I just wanted to play games.  Mom and I were in Sears waiting to pick up the computer and I remember she told me I could pick out one game.

The box art of Monkey Island put me in a daze, so I picked it up, and once my brother installed and booted it up that night,  I became an adventure gamer.

that was MY first game ever, but long before that I recall my brother getting an Atari for Christmas and the two of us playing Joust.
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Snake

My first experience was Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt...
From then on till this day I'm still a die-hard NES fan.

My first adventure game was Willy Beamish and haven't stopped loving it 'til this day.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

TheYak

My first games were the Zork series, Castle Adventure and something called Beast or Beast Hunter or something.  They were all in glorious amber-monochrome, the latter two with pseudo-graphics.  One day, my dad brought home a Commodore Vic20 (Ooo! Color!) and we played insane amounts of Centipede, some Airhockey game and Space Invaders.  We later upgraded to a C64 and I played Street Surfer, Archon, Attack of the Mutant Camels, Gridrunner and a couple others.  Then, my dad brought home a copy of a game on 5 1/4" diskettes.  It was KQ4 on about 6 floppies.  It sucked me away from the C64's pretty-colored games into a monochrome amber world with a plot-line (kind of).  Thus began my adventuring adventure.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Doom I and II, pacman, pipeliner.
I was 6 ~_^
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Nostradamus

My first PC was an XT with no hard drive and a CGA screen. My very first games were on a diskette with 11 games, some of them were Pacman, Digger, Space Invaders & that game where you close sections of the screen to get points.

My first adventure game was probably Leisure Suit Larry 1. The original version.

Oliver

I remember when my pratents bought me a computer back in 1995 ;D
It had Doom installed. THAT WAS MY VERY FIRST GAME. I played it all the time (if I could). We sat at the computer all the time (my brother and some pal's)...that's as much as I remember. ;) (Maybe Tetris too ;D)
You got it!

Coming Soon!

Joelman

the first game i really got hooked on was "tarzan" on the colecovision, lol it was like the early 90's but we werefar behind technologicaly. then when we got a PC, when i was like 8, it was Commander Keen, and Wolfenstien 3d.and on the NES, it was definitely Super Mario Bros 1.
Are clones people two?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk