RE: Characters...

Started by Rattrap93955, Mon 08/12/2003 05:24:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Rattrap93955

I was wondering if there might be someone out there that is interested, possibly, in helping with creating characters for a game/demo that I am working on.

shbaz

Details, Rat. Details.  ???
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Nacho

Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Rattrap93955

Okay. I want to make a game based upon the Stephen King book The Talisman... Various characters are required, but for the moment, I only need the main character and his mother. Plus a car.

Only major problem I am seeing at the moment is the fact that I still do not have the means to draw up the backgrounds for either the demo or the game itself. :(

I am finally getting the hang of the coding thing, but I super seriously have not the ability to make any kind of graphics whatsoever. My beaches look like someone barfed all over the screen and my characters are stick figures without any kind of animation. They don't even turn directions.

HELP! Please. :)

Rattrap93955

OK. Would a Star Trek theme be better for a game? I haven't gotten any reply to my immediate post and am wondering if I just need a different theme...

I have several ideas for a game and would also like to make a really cool ST (Star Trek) game where you can explore the entirety of the Trek Univers, all the planets and such. Would also like to use the TCP/IP plug-in for AGS, if I could find it again, for multiplayer so that it might be a little bit more entertaining than a tour of the Trek Universe....

Perhaps someone would be more interested in helping me out with this theme...?

shbaz

Well, had you paid more attention to the test you took to register or perhaps the posts that scream READ ME at the top of each forum, you would realize something very important to understanding why people aren't responding to this post.  People don't want to make your game for you.  In the game I am currently making, 75% of my time is going to be in making the graphics.  I don't want to do 75% of someone elses game. Neither does anyone else here. Sorry.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Rattrap93955

I wasn't trying to get someone to do my game for me. Just asking for some help. Perhaps someone can explain how to do this step by step? I have no artistic abilities and as thus can obviously use any and all help I can get.

I would be willing to do all of this myself if I could figure this art stuff out.

veryweirdguy

This question is often asked, and everyone will tell you the same thing

First, you might wanna try this post out:

The Tutorial Post

It's dead useful, some great stuff in there.

Secondly (you're gonna love this one):

Just practise.

You don't have to start art on your game straight away. Try some backgrounds and characters that have no relevance to anything and get some crit in the critic's lounge. It is easier to tell you what you need to improve on rather than tell you how to draw from scratch.

Also, the events in the Competitions & Activities forum are a great way to show off your skills and practise. Try and enter, whydon'tyou?

Hope that helps.

Dave Gilbert

Hi Rat,

You obviously weren't very attached to your original idea, if you went and changed it two days later.  Nothing's wrong with a game based on "The Talisman" - personally, I *love* that book.  Are you going to follow the book verbatim or just a game set in that universe?

And just to reiterate what everyone else said, the best way to get help and respect is to show that you deserve some. ;)  

If your strength is scripting/writing and not drawing, maybe you should try making a "Reality on the Norm" game?  It's a series of games that all take place in the same town, so there are many characters and backgrounds available for you to use.  That's how I got my start, anyway.    You can get more info at http://ron.the-underdogs.org.

shbaz

Sorry for my assumption and bluntness.. but when you said you had no artistic ability at all and begged for help.. then changed your plot and begged for help again.. it really looked like you were just wanting someone to draw everything for you. My apologies.

Rattrap93955

OK, Dave. Nice to see that someone else out there knows what I am talking about. Anyway, it was going to be verbatim. It's an idea that a friend and I had. Make books into games for those that can't read.

BOYD1981

won't that make dialogue a bit awkward?

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

MrColossal

i think the talisman would make an interesting adventure game if only for the whole "objects having different identities" from the real world to the other

i enjoyed that book also, but it's been yeaaaaars since i read it
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk