Does anyone else here hate winter as much as I do? (rant?)

Started by Nine Toes, Wed 10/12/2003 21:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Nine Toes

For the last two days I had been hearing the weather man talk about a snowstorm that was going to cover about one-third of Wisconsin.  Including my county.  This is the first real snow we've had this season.  Then he talked about heavy winds that were going to make the situation much worse.  I figured nothing like that was going to happen, because our weather men have a tendency to be wrong.

Last night at about 10:00 pm, it started raining here.  By midnight, it was snowing, but it melted when it hit the ground.  On my way home from the bar, I saw a couple of my friends who had put their cars in the ditch.  The road had a layer of slush and it was pretty thick stuff.

I woke up today at noon, and looked out the window.  My whole yard is covered in a blanket of dandruff.  I went outside to get the mail, and stepped out the front door into a drift about a foot deep.

I got snow in my tennis shoes, and now my socks are all wet.  I'm getting cabin fever right now... I don't wanna go outside and do anything, but I do wanna go somewhere.  I can't drive right now because the plows still haven't been through.

Which brings me to my point.  I think winter really sucks!  It's not so bad if it's a winter like the one we had the year I was born, or the winter we had when I was 15... green.  No snow, because of that El Nino bullcrap.  I can't wait until I'm 30.

I love summer.  It's warm, the sun is shining.  You can go for a drive, you can go and ride your motorcycle, four-wheeler (or what have you).  You can go swimming.  You can go to a party with your friends.  The only thing you really have to worry about is heavy rain.  If I had the money, and I didn't have anything to worry about here in Wisconsin, I would move south.  Far south, where it never snows (away from the earthquake and hurricane zones).

But winter... It sucks because, you can't drive anywhere without the risk of putting your car in a ditch (especially if you have balding tires on your car).  You can't go outside and do anything, 'cuz it's too damn cold.  Me, personally, I think winter is depressing.  Every time I look out the window, this feeling of dread sweeps over me.

I swear, if I lived any farther north, I would go insane.

Any one else out there get buried in the white stuff, and feel like venting their frustration?  I would actually like to see how many people feel like I do.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Privateer Puddin'

No not at all,

I get to see my girlfriend :-*
It may snow!! :D
Christmas
Christmas Parties
Hot Chocolate \o/

Nacho

Eeeer... You´re talking, Mr. Jeckyll, mainly of the weather, not the winter. I can´t really talk of severe winters because I live in the banks of the Mediterranean.

I see snow, because there are some mountains reaching 1,500 meters in the vicinity, and it is difficult for the cyclists to go and train, but I do, and I like it because, no matter how long I go, all the cyclists I see are friends (We are 10 or 15 in winter, whereas in Summer there are thousands of us in the roads...), and it´s funny, but the temperatures never reach less than 10 º centigrades in my town.

So, a really white Christmas could sound exciting for me, but I can´t really talk of it...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Domino

I really can't say winter is my favorite season, but i do enjoy a nice winter storm here and there. I don't mind the cold either, but i would prefer a nice, some what warm day with low humidity.

Living in Buffalo, we see our share of rotten winters. This year we've only had about an inch of snow (lucky us). But living so close to Lake Erie has produced some terrible and almost devastating winter storms.  A couple of years ago, a Lake Effect snow band set itself up right over western New York and dumped 8 feet of snow on us. Yep, that is correct folks. 8 FEET of snow. I think it was a couple of days before christmas.

I hate driving in the white stuff, i hate shoveling it too. But i do enjoy being called and told not to come into work. I guess snow has its perks.

But i'd have to say Spring and Fall are the best seasons for me. Even though our Springs and Falls around here aren't that great. Well, thats what i deserve for living here.

Does anybody recall the Blizzard of '77?

Shawn  :)

juncmodule

I despise winter. I despise the snow.

I see winter as when everything dies.

It is dead and not pretty and white and happy.

DEAD.

I would like to move to the desert.

I would like to move to Arizona.

I am stuck in Ohio because my girlfriend will not move that far away from her parents.

Ohio and it's dead skies. With it's dead winters.

dead,
-junc

MillsJROSS

Ah...this Florida weather is soooo nice...

Actually I wish I could get some snow for a day. I used to live up north, and I miss. Of course, I never had to drive in it, so I don't know how I would feel towards it then.

-MillsJROSS

shbaz

It snowed here last night, only an inch.  It snows four times a year max in Oklahoma, but in the spring there are at least 50 tornados in the state.  Between the earthquakes and the hurricanes you have tornados.  Before the cold front came through and it snowed it was so warm I was out skating in a t-shirt at 3am.. then suddenly it was sleeting and freezing cold winds made me go inside.  I don't like the winter much either, but it's better than tornado season and then 105 degree summers.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I used to live in a cold place with snowy winters and there would always be snow on my birthday and on New Year's Eve,  and we built snowmen and went around on sleighs, even people who were grown up. The winter lasted for 5-6 months, but I didn't mind.  It got cold often, and if it was below -30 C we would get a day off school  :D

Now I moved to the Southern Hemisphere, I live in the subtropics, and I can't say that I enjoy the whole beach-around-the-year thing, with all those surfies :X
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

remixor

I'm currently in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, and I'll soon be home in San Diego, California.  We have no concept of "snow" here.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Nacho

Quote from: shbazjinkens on Thu 11/12/2003 06:40:13
Between the earthquakes and the hurricanes you have tornados.

Yes... I thougt it was a topic! I remember that when I was a kid I really wanted to live in the USA... In California. Then, there wasa big earthquake, it maybe was in 1986. Then I decided to move to Florida, and there were Hurricanes.

Then... Tornados in the middle.

When I was almost decided to settle my spiritual home in New York, I saw a National Geographic program where a cockroaches infestation in a New York´s neighborhood was shown... And I really have phobia to that bugs  :P
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

TheYak

Not totally true, Remixor.  We had some snow in '01 (At least Sonoma County did).  Anyway, I love winter.  I detest summer.. heat, lawn-mowing, the bright burning thing in the sky is brighter. It's awful.  Leave me to my winter with cool breezes & heavy rainfall.  Of course, I might feel differently if we regularly had snow.

Haddas

I live in Finland, and there's no snow here. What's up with that. Today, there's no snow, Tomorrow there's no snow. Last New Year it was goddamnit 1 meter of snow outside. Plus it was -30 Celsius.

I like the winter because everything is so dark, and dead. No one bugs me, no flies, no mosquitos... No sunshine. Aaahhhhh...

The only thing shitty is that I've got a cold now. *sniff*

Darth Mandarb

I used to live in Michigan ... now I'm in South Florida.

I miss the Michigan winters.

Like junc said, everything dies.

But then you get the rebirth of everything in the spring as it all starts anew.

Don't get me wrong, the weather down here is nice but I think in order to really appreciate the nice warm weather you need to go through a few months of winter.

It got down to about 60 degrees here the other day and all these thin-blooded Floridians thought it was freezing!  They were wearing coats!!!  I was walking about in short sleeves and shorts and people kept saying, "You're not from around here are you?"

It was funny.

])]v[

shbaz

In the town where I grew up a couple of years ago we had a German foreign exchange student.  The first time a cold front came through in the fall it was ~50 degrees and people were wearing coats and stuff.. the German guy was wearing a short sleeved shirt and telling everybody, "Eez not cowld!"

I kept getting a funny picture of him in my head walking around in his underpants telling people that when we got our first snow...
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Pessi

I pretty much dislike winter as well. Most of all the fact that it's so cold and dark. I don't really have a problem with snow though. I think it's one of the few positive things in winter as far as weather is concerned.

It seems stupid to me to go to work or school at 8 AM when it's completely dark outside and come home for example at 2 PM when it's equally dark. There's only about 5 hours of what one might call daytime. And what you see when you look outside at that time is gray sky, trees without leaves and probably a bit of rain. Usually, at this time of year we have snow though - which would make the issue a whole lot better. I should mention though, it gets a lot better after a couple of months. The sun shines pretty often and the daytime is way longer.

Nonetheless, the thing I dislike the most is that it's so cold sometimes. I can't do anything outside because most of the time it's too cold to actually enjoy what you're doing. The weather forces people to stay indoors and it's something that I definitely don't like. I'd like to spend my days out in the sunshine with my friends. And I don't necessarily mean running around like a bunch of kids (which isn't a bad thing, of course) but just sitting outside and listening to birds sing. You know, enjoying the nature instead of sitting in front of the computer or TV all day trying to ignore the fact that it would be pitch black if there weren't any lights on.

Anyway, as I said, it gets better but I still don't like the fact that it's like this for several months every year. I'm really considering moving somewhere sunny when I get some money. Which might be after quite a while. :)

Timosity

Well It was bloody hot and humid here in Sydney today, (the humidity is the killer) not too used to humidity here cause it has hardly rained for the last 2 years or so, but there has been a little bit lately, but not enough to lift water restrictions.

Still wearing shorts and t-shirt at 3:15 am and it's not to cold to go out for a smoko, It's actually quite pleasant.

Summer can get really hot over here, and winter is not that cold, but still too cold for me, probably gets down to about 10 C near the coast. I have never seen snow in Sydney but maybe a bit of sleet once. But big Chunks of hail in summer (destroying homes cars etc)

Nothing like a christmas drinking beers around the pool to cool off. I feel sorry for Santa wearing that bloody suit when he comes down here, he's a friggin moron, he should strip down to underwear and shave off the beard (silly fool, also lucky his sleigh can fly cause there's no snow to slide on)

There is hardly anywhere that snows on the whole continent, I don't think we could physically pull off a winter olympics, cause even where it snows, it's not gauranteed.

A couple of weeks ago I played cricket on a day close to 40 C which is about 104 F, (each saturday it goes from 1pm to 6pm) It's not the hottest day I've played in but to strenuous physical activity in that heat is extremely hard, it's draining enough to be in the sun on a day like that.

So Yeah, I hate winter, I'm just really glad it's SUMMER, I got all sad when everyone from the north was going into summer a few months back, all I can say now IS "yay it is summer"

Just a couple of things I love about summer:

Cicadas singing deafiningly loud in the trees (even on a warm evening at 3 in the morning)

A fast violent thunder storm in the afternoon to cool things off (rare in last few years, and as long as they don't destroy your home)

Watching thunderstorms out to sea (at the headland at Bar Beach in Newie is an awesome spot)

The amount of topless bathers there are these days

c.leksutin

I live in New Hampshire, we have some brutal winter weather.  We got like 3 feet of snow the other day.  Up here, you learn to suck it up or they find your body in the spring.

Some years I really like the challange, this year I really want to live in San Francisco, with their ultra-liberal mayoral elections and what not.

C.

juncmodule

That's it Timosity. Clear off the sofa. I'm moving in :D

Lucky bastard.

Darth: I think the reason I hate winter so much is because I spent the first 21 years of my life in Michigan. That was enough winter for one lifetime ;D

later,
-junc

Inkoddi

I live in northern Sweden and I say the same as Haddas, excaept for the cold

Pumaman

Winter is a necessary evil.

On the one hand,
I hate the fact that my heating doesn't work very well and I have to wear a coat indoors on very cold days.
I hate de-icing the car every morning before going to work.
I hate the fact that women wear too much clothing.

But on the other hand,
Winter kills off various nasty bugs, insects and parasites and stops them taking over the world
Winter gives a chance for the reservoirs to re-fill so that we have enough water to last the next summer.

Still, that doesn't detract from Australia sounding damn sexy. 10 degrees in winter? We're lucky to get that in the summer.  I might have to take a holiday there, but "accidentally" forget to leave.

Matt Brown

I live right around the corner from Junc, and man, let me tell you, midwesten winters, Central and Northern Ohio and Iowa more so, suck. We dont get much sun here during the summer, but during the winter? Gray. Gray. Gray. and COLD. It actually doesnt snow that much, (Its snowing a tiny bit right now), but its always dark and cold and slushy and all-around nasty.

I miss New Mexico :(
word up

Nine Toes

Timosity... you, me, and junc: roomies.  Right about now, Australia is sounding pretty good to me.  Warm sunshine, honeys, and a big can of Foster's (blech!).

I went out to get some smokes, my car doors were frozen shut.... so I dumped some hot water on them and then pulled... and pulled... I pulled until that vein in my forehead burst.  Now I have a knot in my bicep and a thrombosed vein poking out of my head.  j/k

I know winter is good, because it kills off all the bugs... but then again, I can identify perfectly with junc... I mean, he literally took the words right out of my mouth.  It's not just the bugs that die... everything dies.  The trees, the plants, and if you go and stand out in this weather in your skiddies, you'll probably die too.  Honestly, I'd rather spray on some skeeter spray and live with the bugs.

I was born in Wisconsin, and I'm 21 now... I still haven't learned to put up with the winter around here.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Las Naranjas

Only CJ and other foreign fools drink Fosters. Finding it here would be like finding an Irish pub in Ireland.

But we've got plenty of melanomas to go round.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Privateer Puddin'

So, it's very easy to find Fosters in Australia?

Ben

I love winter.. Best time of year, except when it rains like it's doing now. Then I want to kill winter.. Kill it dead..

Las Naranjas

Perhaps I was too subtle was you custard, I could have written "themed" between Irish and Pub, but I overestimated the capacity of members to get jokes which are old chestnuts anyway.

However, this time I'll use the contigency plan
;););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)v:D:D:D:
D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:;);););););););););););)

kthnxbye
"I'm a moron" - LGM

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Ech snow :(

The only people who like it are the people who don't have to walk in it, shovel it and drive in it. >:(

earlwood

God, I hate winter too, you can't imagine how I'm suffering here in Texas!
I mean, it must be 60 degress Fahreinheit outside!

You guys should be luck you get snow! Go out and enjoy it! All we get here his black ice. And that makes one weak, smelly clubhouse.

CheapAlert

Man, was it quite foggy today. As a car comes as I walk, I had to jump out of the way into the snow to save myself :O
I AM THE STAR TREK ADVENTURE MAKER.

Timosity

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/12/2003 20:21:26I might have to take a holiday there, but "accidentally" forget to leave.

That does happen quite a bit, all those poms over staying there visa's, I can understand why they don't want to leave, the sun, the surf, the women.

I'd actually like to experience a Christams in the snow one day.

It has pretty much rained all day, and has been in the mid to low 20's C so quite cold for summer but as usual the weather man got it wrong, it was supposed to be 31 but they did get the thunderstorms right, yay I love ligtning (as long as it doesn't take the power out)

Note: They don't worry too much about English outstaying their visa's compared to some poor refugees that they stick in a "detention centre" (terrible jail in the middle of the desert) The system is totally fucked

HaddasDadsPC

Is it not true that you have LOADS of flies in Australia?

P.S I now know why we don't have snow here yet. It's because of the goddamn global warming crap. And now that USA & Russia backed out from that Kyoto (or was it Kioto?) contract... Well :(

Las Naranjas

I can't make a comparison with other countries, but apparently yes.

Problem is that most native animals do little small hard shits that aren't very good to flies, so not many ever arose prior to European settlement, so not man animals evolved that like eating flies on the level of those in Europe for instance. But when the Europeans came [illegal immigrants] from 1788 onward, and brought cows and other animals with nice large soggy shits, the flies went crazy breeding, and there was nothing to keep the population down.

It isn't too bad in some areas, but rural areas cop is worst.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Timosity

As far as global warming goes, we definately have some impact, but the earth over many ages has warmed up cooled down over and over without anything much to do with us.

There are certain events that can change it much more dramatically than us, eg. a large ateroid hitting the earth causinga lot of dust in the atmosphere, cooling it down to another ice age, wiping us out.

There are much greater forces at work than humans in altering our planets temperatures. Plus you'll probably find out that the current weather isn't out of the ordinary if you compare it to other years in the past.

The other thing is that the records we keep are hardly comparable to anything significant, considering how long we've been keeping records to how ever long the earth has been around.

We have caused a lot of problems and still aren't changing our ways, but in the end, it's really out of our control, we can try to help in the short term, but the long will be changed by greater forces than us arrogant humans can imagine.

Weather does come in patterns, but there are greater scale patterns above that level and then even greater etc so eg there are patterns in the time we have recorded, then there are say, patterns that occur every 1000 years, then some every 1000,000 years etc

we can't possibly comprehend certain events that may change our planet, but we probably won't exist then anyway, and the events of our global warming may just have given some other species a chance of survival better than ourselves, Like  some other creatures probably did for us once upon a time.

So at the greater scale, we're not as significant as we think we are, the sooner we realise this, the more fun we can have without worrying about power and control, and the other more serious shite that fucks up a simple life.

Pet Terry

I don't really like winter because it's cold etc. etc. but sometimes snow wakes up my inner kid and I go sledding with my friends... :P

But then again, it's horrible to cycle to school when there's truckloads of snow on the sidewalks and it's cold as ice.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Hinders

----

c.leksutin

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/12/2003 20:21:26
On the one hand,
I hate the fact that my heating doesn't work very well and I have to wear a coat indoors on very cold days.

Whats this "heating system" you refer to?  I spend a good portion of the warmer months cutting fire wood so I dont freeze to death in the cold months.

Even if I get the fire roaring all day, I still have to wear a coat when I use the computer, as one end of my home never gets warm.

C.

Eigen

I really like winter. It's really fun. I can go "snowboarding" with a skateboard, and do lots of other extreme stuff. But one tiny problem. It's almost mid December and NO snow. It just rains a lot. Could someone send me a bit of snow in a package or something. :P

-Eigen

DragonRose

You can have my snow, Eigen. It's been coming down all day in big fluffy "is that a snowflake or a small kitten" sized flakes.  

Truth is, I don't mind snow. Snow is pretty. It is useful for making sculptures, and makes excellent balistic weapons and defensive barriers.  The problem, though, is that it is wet and cold! YUCKY YUCKY YUCKY!!! I can't STAND being wet and cold.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Domino

well, its snowing right now. yay!! I just wish for a white christmas, then it can all melt. People around here drive on snow like they're driving the indy 500. They don't seem to care. Thats probably why i see so many people's cars in ditches when coming home from work.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Shawn

remixor

Anyone seen Almost Famous?  The opening scene of that movie is Christmas in my home town of San Diego.  We essentially have one season, I think it's called "Nice."
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

jannar85

Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Inkoddi

ARGH!! Here, it snowed a lot in the middle of October, then it melted away, then it snowed in the middle of November, then it melted away and now it's -10°C and no snow!! I like snow. Snow is good.

Oliver

WINTER ROCKS!!!  :)

I can't understand how you guys hate snow... :o
You got it!

Coming Soon!

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Where are you from Oliver? :P

Like I said, the people who like it are the people who don't actually have to do anything with it.  :P

Oliver

I live in Estonia.
Probably you don't have a clue where it is. It's is next to Finland, Russia, Latvia.
It's a small country. It just snowed this morning but it got kinda wet in the afternoon and now...it's all gone. Last winter there was knows like to you knees, or something. That rocked!
I love snow.
Want to know why?

EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM SPORTS!!!!!! ;D

(and everything else that has something to do with snow) :P
You got it!

Coming Soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk