Does anyone else here hate winter as much as I do? (rant?)

Started by Nine Toes, Wed 10/12/2003 21:49:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Brown

I live right around the corner from Junc, and man, let me tell you, midwesten winters, Central and Northern Ohio and Iowa more so, suck. We dont get much sun here during the summer, but during the winter? Gray. Gray. Gray. and COLD. It actually doesnt snow that much, (Its snowing a tiny bit right now), but its always dark and cold and slushy and all-around nasty.

I miss New Mexico :(
word up

Nine Toes

Timosity... you, me, and junc: roomies.  Right about now, Australia is sounding pretty good to me.  Warm sunshine, honeys, and a big can of Foster's (blech!).

I went out to get some smokes, my car doors were frozen shut.... so I dumped some hot water on them and then pulled... and pulled... I pulled until that vein in my forehead burst.  Now I have a knot in my bicep and a thrombosed vein poking out of my head.  j/k

I know winter is good, because it kills off all the bugs... but then again, I can identify perfectly with junc... I mean, he literally took the words right out of my mouth.  It's not just the bugs that die... everything dies.  The trees, the plants, and if you go and stand out in this weather in your skiddies, you'll probably die too.  Honestly, I'd rather spray on some skeeter spray and live with the bugs.

I was born in Wisconsin, and I'm 21 now... I still haven't learned to put up with the winter around here.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Las Naranjas

Only CJ and other foreign fools drink Fosters. Finding it here would be like finding an Irish pub in Ireland.

But we've got plenty of melanomas to go round.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Privateer Puddin'

So, it's very easy to find Fosters in Australia?

Ben

I love winter.. Best time of year, except when it rains like it's doing now. Then I want to kill winter.. Kill it dead..

Las Naranjas

Perhaps I was too subtle was you custard, I could have written "themed" between Irish and Pub, but I overestimated the capacity of members to get jokes which are old chestnuts anyway.

However, this time I'll use the contigency plan
;););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)v:D:D:D:
D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:;);););););););););););)

kthnxbye
"I'm a moron" - LGM

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Ech snow :(

The only people who like it are the people who don't have to walk in it, shovel it and drive in it. >:(

earlwood

God, I hate winter too, you can't imagine how I'm suffering here in Texas!
I mean, it must be 60 degress Fahreinheit outside!

You guys should be luck you get snow! Go out and enjoy it! All we get here his black ice. And that makes one weak, smelly clubhouse.

CheapAlert

Man, was it quite foggy today. As a car comes as I walk, I had to jump out of the way into the snow to save myself :O
I AM THE STAR TREK ADVENTURE MAKER.

Timosity

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/12/2003 20:21:26I might have to take a holiday there, but "accidentally" forget to leave.

That does happen quite a bit, all those poms over staying there visa's, I can understand why they don't want to leave, the sun, the surf, the women.

I'd actually like to experience a Christams in the snow one day.

It has pretty much rained all day, and has been in the mid to low 20's C so quite cold for summer but as usual the weather man got it wrong, it was supposed to be 31 but they did get the thunderstorms right, yay I love ligtning (as long as it doesn't take the power out)

Note: They don't worry too much about English outstaying their visa's compared to some poor refugees that they stick in a "detention centre" (terrible jail in the middle of the desert) The system is totally fucked

HaddasDadsPC

Is it not true that you have LOADS of flies in Australia?

P.S I now know why we don't have snow here yet. It's because of the goddamn global warming crap. And now that USA & Russia backed out from that Kyoto (or was it Kioto?) contract... Well :(

Las Naranjas

I can't make a comparison with other countries, but apparently yes.

Problem is that most native animals do little small hard shits that aren't very good to flies, so not many ever arose prior to European settlement, so not man animals evolved that like eating flies on the level of those in Europe for instance. But when the Europeans came [illegal immigrants] from 1788 onward, and brought cows and other animals with nice large soggy shits, the flies went crazy breeding, and there was nothing to keep the population down.

It isn't too bad in some areas, but rural areas cop is worst.
"I'm a moron" - LGM

Timosity

As far as global warming goes, we definately have some impact, but the earth over many ages has warmed up cooled down over and over without anything much to do with us.

There are certain events that can change it much more dramatically than us, eg. a large ateroid hitting the earth causinga lot of dust in the atmosphere, cooling it down to another ice age, wiping us out.

There are much greater forces at work than humans in altering our planets temperatures. Plus you'll probably find out that the current weather isn't out of the ordinary if you compare it to other years in the past.

The other thing is that the records we keep are hardly comparable to anything significant, considering how long we've been keeping records to how ever long the earth has been around.

We have caused a lot of problems and still aren't changing our ways, but in the end, it's really out of our control, we can try to help in the short term, but the long will be changed by greater forces than us arrogant humans can imagine.

Weather does come in patterns, but there are greater scale patterns above that level and then even greater etc so eg there are patterns in the time we have recorded, then there are say, patterns that occur every 1000 years, then some every 1000,000 years etc

we can't possibly comprehend certain events that may change our planet, but we probably won't exist then anyway, and the events of our global warming may just have given some other species a chance of survival better than ourselves, Like  some other creatures probably did for us once upon a time.

So at the greater scale, we're not as significant as we think we are, the sooner we realise this, the more fun we can have without worrying about power and control, and the other more serious shite that fucks up a simple life.

Pet Terry

I don't really like winter because it's cold etc. etc. but sometimes snow wakes up my inner kid and I go sledding with my friends... :P

But then again, it's horrible to cycle to school when there's truckloads of snow on the sidewalks and it's cold as ice.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Hinders

----

c.leksutin

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 11/12/2003 20:21:26
On the one hand,
I hate the fact that my heating doesn't work very well and I have to wear a coat indoors on very cold days.

Whats this "heating system" you refer to?  I spend a good portion of the warmer months cutting fire wood so I dont freeze to death in the cold months.

Even if I get the fire roaring all day, I still have to wear a coat when I use the computer, as one end of my home never gets warm.

C.

Eigen

I really like winter. It's really fun. I can go "snowboarding" with a skateboard, and do lots of other extreme stuff. But one tiny problem. It's almost mid December and NO snow. It just rains a lot. Could someone send me a bit of snow in a package or something. :P

-Eigen

DragonRose

You can have my snow, Eigen. It's been coming down all day in big fluffy "is that a snowflake or a small kitten" sized flakes.  

Truth is, I don't mind snow. Snow is pretty. It is useful for making sculptures, and makes excellent balistic weapons and defensive barriers.  The problem, though, is that it is wet and cold! YUCKY YUCKY YUCKY!!! I can't STAND being wet and cold.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Domino

well, its snowing right now. yay!! I just wish for a white christmas, then it can all melt. People around here drive on snow like they're driving the indy 500. They don't seem to care. Thats probably why i see so many people's cars in ditches when coming home from work.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Shawn

remixor

Anyone seen Almost Famous?  The opening scene of that movie is Christmas in my home town of San Diego.  We essentially have one season, I think it's called "Nice."
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk