Fading text in intro

Started by WeHoo, Mon 22/12/2003 21:25:15

Previous topic - Next topic

WeHoo

I'm planning on doing an intro where the background is black and white text comes up and then fades out, before more text comes up and fades. Is it an easy way to do this?

Remember I'm quite the n00b, so explain well. ;)

Wolfgang Abenteuer

You could try making two background frames, one with your text in full white and one as a completely black background.  Set the background frame of the room to the completely black frame.  Then, just use RawDrawFrameTransparency to gradually fade in the text frame at different levels, from 0% (text gone) to 100% (text white).  If you have more than one text message you want to fade in, just make a separate background for each message and use the same black background for fading.

Don't know if that will work, but it's worth a try, I suppose! :)

~Wolfgang

Scummbuddy

You could just make them animations, and then call the animations.
--------------
Or, harder by more coding

make your text objects on the screen, and then call them and then have them start as dark transparency
'SetObjectTransparency'
then run a loop that will continuously make it show til its done, then run a loop to make it fade, then bring up a new text element/object
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

densming

I used fading text in my game in the intro.  I did it using text overlays, and just setting the color of the overlays gradually from black to white.  Here are the functions I used:

Code: ags

function fade_in_string(int textoverlay,string str,int x,int y,int width,int font,int speed) {
  int Color=0;
  while (Color<63422) {
    Color+=2113;
    SetTextOverlay(textoverlay,x,y,width,font,Color,str);
    Wait(12-speed);
  }
  SetTextOverlay(textoverlay,x,y,width,font,65535,str);
}

function fade_out_string(int textoverlay,string str,int x,int y,int width,int font,int speed) {
  int Color=65535;
  while (Color>2113) {
    Color-=2113;
    SetTextOverlay(textoverlay,x,y,width,font,Color,str);
    Wait(12-speed);
  }
  SetTextOverlay(textoverlay,x,y,width,font,0,str);
}

function do_fade() {
  // here's how I would use the above functions:
  int to;

// This line can remain constant
  to=CreateTextOverlay(0,0,0,0,0,"");

// fade text in
  fade_in_string(to,"Fading text",100,70,200,1,9);

// wait a little while
  Wait(40);

// fade text out
  fade_out_string(to,"Fading text",100,70,200,1,9);

// clean up
  RemoveOverlay(to);
}

You can change the parameters of the fade_in_string and fade_out_string functions to suit your needs.

Here are the parameters and their explanations:
int textoverlay: This is the text overlay variable.  You need to create a text overlay first and assign it to this variable and then pass this var to the function (just follow my example above)

string str: The string to display.  Be sure to pass the same string to fade_in_string and fade_out_string; otherwise, the fading in string will be different text than the fading out string.

int x, y: x and y location on the screen

int width: width of the overlay.  Play with this till it is the right width for your text

int font: font number to use

int speed: fade speed.  The higher the number (up to 12) the faster the fade will be.

Hope this helps!

densming

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk