Perils Of Poom

Started by M, Wed 31/12/2003 17:28:38

Previous topic - Next topic

M

Perils of Poom - here it is. Whipped up in time for the AGS Awards - not that I'm excepting it to win anthing, though. At all.

Thanks to everyone who has supported the game, I appreciate it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ev.cool/poom_full.zip

The music by m0ds is sick! I love it. You can hear the tracks in the STERIO section of the main menu. There is a problem, though. Due to time restrictions, etc etc, the soundtrack isnt finished!! This release of Poom is for the benefit of meeting the AGS Award deadline rather than having to wait another year for it. An updated version with full music will be released in the coming weeks. Sorry. Everything else is done, though. You'll just notice that music is recycled a lot.

Thanks
-Mike-

Oh yeah, there's a short(ish) Bonus Scene right at the end. You have to unlock it first, though!

(Should I have put stats here, like number of rooms etc etc?? Well, There's 96 by the way - most are playable...)

::UPDATE:: 22 Jan
Just a minor update - uploaded a new version of Poom -- all thats different is that some of the 'pixel-hunty' hotspots are bigger or slightly more obvious. Oh yeah, the ship-sales man guy now has a new talking loop (*cough stan anyone *cough*)

Other Poom news - the game's been nominated for a few categories at the AG Underdrog Awards and for Best Game at The Crows Nest.

::UPDATE:: 23 March
You can get latest news on Poom 2 right here. There's also a Poom 1 re-release in the works, with the full soundtrack as well as some extra stuff.

Goldmund

Heeeeeey, I thought this game was dead! Great! I enjoyed the demo.

Now, if you'd put a link to download, people would be even able to get it! That's just my opinion, though.

M

Yeah, geeze - sorry. I uploaded it a second ago and forgot it... :P Sorted now. Its always something...

Inkoddi

Why isn't there any usic in the intro?

edit: Heh, cool game but I'm stuck already...

Spoiler
I need some matches or a lighter to start a fire in the bin in the docks (I've covered it with illegal drug)
[close]

M

There's no music in the intro coz there's nothing appropriate for that part at the moment. The music comes in later and then I try to keep as much as I can.

=edit=
There's a walkthrough for everything up to the end of the demo parts of the game here.

Damien

I'm stuck...
Spoiler
I'm on the refueling station, visited all the screens, talked to both salesman and pokemon(or something) card collector. I took collector's drink, guess it has to do something with that fish, but what?
[close]

BTW: Great game! I'm enjoying it.

M

Spoiler
Have you pressed the button on the vending machine in the canteen (involves a bit of pixel hunting)? After that you can get the fish magnet from the shop.. and theres an open paint can outside *ahem*
[close]

jane

I've found a bug I think.....................I managed to get into club - now I can't get out.  I have talked to bloke and interracted with door and tried to leave the way I came in - tried everything I can think of but just can't get out of room :-\

Damien

jane: when he entered the room, character climbed up the stairs leading to the left of the screen. Now you must find the last step and right click it

AGA

Spoiler
I'm in the cave with the sand worm. What the hell do I do?
[close]

M

Spoiler
Just dodge the worm for a while by walking to either the top,bottom or middle of the cave (got to right-click on those areas) and something will eventually happen. Its got a set pattern of where it hits, its not random. It only hits the bottom of the cave twice, though. If I recall it hits something like: top, bottom, top, middle, top, middle, middle, bottom, top, top or something
[close]

Damien

Spoiler
I'm on the third planet, got my bank card, how do i get goth to hack my card or something?
[close]

M

Spoiler
Where the goths are there's a locked door. You can get in using the bank card. Basically, once inside you can pull the plug on the goth's music (theres always so some ice in there). Give them something new (did you pick up the sterio from the sewage place on the bottom floor?) and the sitting goth will be more willing to help with hacking the card.
[close]

asafii

Great Game :)
But im stuck spoiler below
Spoiler
Ok im on the planet with the sand , I have the seed , the lens and  the empty bottle but im not sure how to get that obstruction away from the cave?
[close]

Inkoddi

Spoiler
I'm still at the refuleing station, got the trading card, the gas mask, the phone and a coin. Mac wants to go to the loo, but the queue (spelling?) won't move so I can't exit to the ship
[close]

Pet Terry

Holy shit! Downloading now!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

asafii

Inkoddi :

Spoiler Below
Spoiler
You need to set of a stink bomb , if you didnt notice when you are near the machine in the canteen there is a little man behind the pilar click on the pilar and youll go there he will trade you the card for a stink bomb
[close]

AGA

asaafi:

Spoiler
Give the lens to the hippies. Then take the shovel. Then go to the bar and talk to the guys there until you go with them to dig. Then go back to the hole and take the rope. Use the rope with the sticking-out rock by the cave entrance
[close]

Grace

Spoiler
I'm stuck. I'm in the park and broken the building's window. But how to get down to the long drop???
[close]

AGA

Spoiler
I'm in the amusement park. How do I win the ring-toss game to win the glass cutter? I've already met Jay and got the toilet paper, stick and magazine.
[close]

Damien

Spoiler
You have to give the ring to the operator of the ferris wheel, he likes bending stuff.
[close]

asafii

Ok need some help

Spoiler
I have broken the window but i cant get down the long shot and i have used all my inventory items
[close]

AGA

asafii:

Spoiler
Right. You'll find a stick on the ground outside the window. Go to the outhouse and keep poking the stick through the hole until you get the toilet paper. Go back to the window and use the stick and toilet paper on the sticking-out rock.
[close]

AGA

-M-, great game. I really, really enjoyed it. While most of the puzzles weren't too difficult, there were a couple of tricky ones that had me stuck for awhile. The plot was great, and I especially loved the long dialogues and cutscenes. There were also a lot of laugh out loud moments. Great work, and I'm definitely looking forward to a sequel

Damien

About that bonus scene...

Spoiler
So, obviously you get the bonus scene by planting seeds you got from the hippies. There's three spot to plant them, one of theese spots is a hole you dug with the shaken alcohol on the desert planet.  Aybody knows where are other two seed plantin' places?
[close]

M, I really enjoyed playing the game, scropting, sounds, lots of animations, humour: everything is done very good.

AGA

Spoiler
You can throw one of them into the slime river (at the bottom floor of the office building where the scientist guy is).
[close]

asafii

Spoiler
third one is on the way to see Jay there is a small bit on the mountain side where the earth is soft
[close]

Absolutely great game M a very good prospect for the AGS awards . I absolutely loved the humor , full review forthcoming in a few days.

regards
Asaf

Damien

Well, I'm of to plant some seed. I have no saves from the beginning of the game, guess i'l have to play it again.

lspace

I can't get this game to run.  Every time I click on the poom.exe file my computer freezes up.   I have a P4, Geforce 5200 video card, Win 98 and SB Live.  Can anyone help me out?

M

Wow, you guys got threw it so quickly! I'm really glad you guys liked it, though (my first game and all).  ;D AGA - cool, I'm glad I got some laugh-out-loud moments in. That's made my day. Asaf - Great, a review! I look forward to it. IM me or something when its out.

Don't forget to check out the sterio section? Y'know, its.. its got dancing.

lspace: Sorry I have no idea why its not working. I made it in AGS 2.56b, not that that helps at all. Have you tried the setup.exe first? Maybe CJ, or someone, has an idea?

Damien

;D
Have you seen the bonus section? LOL!
;D

AGA

Heh yeah, the bonus ending was excellent. lspace - I have almost exactly the same PC as you, except for Windows 2000 instead of Windows 98. My advice? Change OSes :P

Gregjazz

The game is pretty good so far, although I'm stuck at one part.

Help would be most appreciated.

Spoiler
While imprisoned in the cell by the mechanical bounty hunter, I broke the light switch. This was intriguing, but it didn't really help me. I'm not sure how to reach the button(s) on the side of the cells. Any ideas?
[close]

AGA

Spoiler
Now you need to call the bounter hunter over. 'Use' the left side of the screen, where it says exit.
[close]

M

Aw, now to shamelessly vote for myself. :P Wait a minute.. can I do that?

Inkoddi

I'm stuck. (again, doh)

Spoiler
I'm on Poomside, got the ring, the wood, the screwdriver and the magazine (and all the items from the other planets). I need the Spanspro Glass Cutterâ,,¢ (some number) in order to cut the glass to the "haunted" house... and what's that outhouse all about?
[close]

Pet Terry

That was so great! I loved everything in it. Some things really made me laugh and bonus section was awesome too!

Now, waiting for the rest of the music to be added.

Spoiler
I was kinda surprised seeing my name in the bonus "credits" :P
[close]
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

M

Inkoddi:
Take a look at Damien's spoiler at the top of the page (post 20 i think) and AGA's (post 22). That should point a little in the right direction.

petteri:
Spoiler
Yeah, well, you were one of the early supporters that still cared about the game even when it looked dead. Y'know, that was nice... Aww.. I'm getting emotional here.. i.. i've got to go, i've got something in my eye!
[close]

BerserkerTails

Excellent game so far! I love all the animations, they bring alot of personality and professionalism (Is that a word?) to the game. But alas, I'm stuck! Ack!

Spoiler
I've been "chased" into the garbage chute on the refuelling station. How do I get out? I got the gun, wire and metal, and I combined the wire and metal to make a grappling hook, but it doesn't work when I try to use it on the opening. Have I missed something?
[close]
I make music.

Damien

Spoiler
have you combined the grapling hook with the gun?
[close]

Inkoddi

There's only one thing I want to complain about and that is the annoying pixel hunting. ARGFH!

M

Quote from: Inkoddi on Fri 02/01/2004 18:51:02
There's only one thing I want to complain about and that is the annoying pixel hunting. ARGFH!
Yeah, its only in a few places but I'll learn from that for my next game. Well, hope you liked it otherwise.

Inkoddi

Yes I liked it, especially the bonus section (ROFL). ;D

BerserkerTails

Curses, I'm stuck again! Nooooooo!

Spoiler
I'm on planet Poomside. I've gotten the screwdriver, but that seems to be all I can do here! I searched but couldn't find anywhere else to go besides the screen with the bags, and the screen with the ship. What do I do?
[close]

Oh and by the way, I loved the Prisoner reference!
I make music.

Inkoddi

That room is a scrolling room. Just walk right and you will find an exit.

BerserkerTails

Oh um... Yeah... I knew that...

..<Smacks forehead>
I make music.

Kairus

I love this game! I loved the demo when I played it and I love this full chapter too, though I haven't finished it yet, but I'm on my way (pixel hunting... huh? That's what I wanted to know! ;) ). The graphics are excellent, but in my opinion, to make it complete, you MUST make the guy who sells the second hand ships shake his hands up and down in his talking view, that would really give a plus to the (ahem... Monkey Island clichè???) scene. :)
Download Garfield today!

DOWNLOADINFOWEBSITE

earlwood

:-\ Geez I feel so retarded because I can even get out of the freaking store room. =P

Spoiler
I was kind of suprised that you didn't use the coin to unscrew the vent or to buy some zombie chow to burn a hole through the door.
[close]

AGA

Spoiler
Er, that's exactly what you do do... Use the coin on the vent. You have to right-click though, not left.
[close]

earlwood

:D Oh, ok thanks AGA.

[btw]Excellent game ,M

Kairus

Spoiler
Well, I'm stuck. I got out from the cell by breaking the light switch and calling the robot, but now I don't know what else to do. Can't I lock him up or something? I have the phone, the tool I got from Phlessi VI, the gas mask and the bank card.
[close]
Thanks
Download Garfield today!

DOWNLOADINFOWEBSITE

Damien

Spoiler
There is a switch by the cell door for closing it. Happy pixel hunting!
[close]

earlwood

Just finished your game & I would have to say, one of the best gaming experience this year (Talking about 2003 ;) ). Great game.

[btw] Loved the greasy ring toss part!

LightBear

I'm on the purple planet, talked to every one but can't get into the bank.

What pixel did I miss?

Inkoddi

Spoiler
You can open the door beside the Goths by using your bank card on it
[close]

LightBear

Quote from: Inkoddi on Sat 03/01/2004 19:23:56
Spoiler
You can open the door beside the Goths by using your bank card on it
[close]

THX, was in already but now I don't know how to get the machine going in the next room....... I guess I'm not to good at these games.....

Inkoddi

Spoiler
use the phone with the pixel-huntish button
[close]

BerserkerTails

Finished the game yesterday. Just like to congratulate you M, for making (IMO) one of the best AGS games of 2003. I *REALLY* enjoyed it, and I can't wait for the next installment! Keep up the good work!
I make music.

M

Dammit, I didnt think there was that much pixel-hunting. Awww..Maybe I overlooked some things.

QuoteThe graphics are excellent, but in my opinion, to make it complete, you MUST make the guy who sells the second hand ships shake his hands up and down in his talking view, that would really give a plus to the (ahem... Monkey Island clichè???) scene.
Y'know what? I might just do that for the next release (the one with full music). If I find time that is.

QuoteFinished the game yesterday. Just like to congratulate you M, for making (IMO) one of the best AGS games of 2003. I *REALLY* enjoyed it, and I can't wait for the next installment! Keep up the good work!
Thanks, BerserkerTails. That really means a lot to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the support, everyone.

(BTW - Hey, Earlwood - whyd you get rid of your freaky avatar?)

Kairus

Wow, this game was terrific! The bonus part was excellent. :) You really should make the sequel, please, don't let it die... And now that you're there, please fix all those nasty pixel-hunting sequences. I know you're tempted to use them because they make the game last longer, but probably many players will end up insulting all your family members before finding out how to solve the puzzle. To fix it, just highlight the parts of the screen where there's something the player should see, use another colors so the hidden spots can be easily recognized, but avoid making them look illogical. I mean, you don't need to add a giant arrow that says 'look for hotspot here', though maybe that would fit in the atmosphere of some games.
Spoiler
The ones I had trouble with where at the vending machine at the service station, the closing button of the cell (you got the cell puzzle from the game Guilty, didn't you? ;) ) and the groove inside the haunted house. Also there's a bug in that scene: if you use ANY item on the groove, it will make the same effect as if you used the stick. You could fix it if you have time.
[close]
Excelent! Please don't lose interest and make the sequel!
Download Garfield today!

DOWNLOADINFOWEBSITE

Duzz

Alright?

Haha, I too laughed out loud many a time when playing this, the dialog rocked.  I missed the secret bonus bit, but I'll play it again when you release the full music version.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

M

Cool - thanks, Duzz. Just gotta say I really liked your game. I havent completed it yet, but I'm getting there. Heh, angry bear.

Nostradamus

Spoiler
How do I get into the park?  I got the screwdriver but can't do anything else to open the gate or pay the ticket guy
[close]

Inkoddi

Spoiler
Go back to the tent and look for something...         green!
[close]

Nostradamus

Spoiler
Yeah, I saw the card but I can't take it or read it!
[close]

AGA

Spoiler
You need to have gone one screen right of where the ship landed, first. It's a scrolling room, keep going right until you enter a new screen. Then look around here, then go back to the tent.
[close]

luutje

i really like this game. i finished it, with help ofcourse. but still great game. thanks everyone.

StuckInThePit

Okay... this game is awesome but I'm stuck in a really stupid place.....  hopefully somebody can help me (please)!

*How* do I get out of 'The Pit' at the beginning??

He does nothing when I try to use or look at the door, and just stands at the bottom of the stairs when I direct him down them...

I'm stuck in the club and can't get out... Help!

Inkoddi

Spoiler
There's a hotspot on the highest step on the stairs you came from. Right-click that
[close]

NoLongerStuckInThePit

Ahhhh that was it, thanks a bunch =) now for the rest of the game...

M

The first post has been updated with some Poom news and a new version of the game uploaded (nothing to get excited about, though - just a couple of changes).

JimmyShelter

Very cool game!

There are some typo's though. For example, it's stereo, not sterio.
And also, what's with the aat instead of out?

But apart from that I loved the game. Cool music, cool graphics.

AGA

I assume they have English accents, in which 'out' is pronounced like 'aat'

JimmyShelter

Quote from: AGA on Fri 23/01/2004 21:09:50
I assume they have English accents, in which 'out' is pronounced like 'aat'

Yeah, that's what I thought. Makes it less easy for the non-native english speaker, though.

Kweepa

I downloaded this when it was released, but didn't get around to playing it until now.
I love it so far! Very entertaining stuff. Great dialog, and interesting plot.
It's much more professional than it looks! (No offence!)
So, errr, bump.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

M

Thanks for the kind words, Steve. Glad you're enjoying the game.

For anyone interested, you can get latest news on Poom 2 right here. There's also a Poom 1 re-release in the works, with the full soundtrack as well as some extra stuff.

-Mike-

piraatlife4me

Hey just finished playing your game! Pretty good stuff. Some of the puzzles were really tough (had to bust out the ags walkthrough for a couple of them) but for the most part I thought it was all done quite nicely.
A few things...
Spoiler
I noticed that if you get the fish magnet and swap it for the real fish before opening the paint can you're outta luck and have to start all over. Was this intentional?
Also it is really hard to leave the poom office in the first map of the game. I noticed you have to click on the streets hotspot before it lets you out. If you release a second version maybe you could just put a region there or make the hotspot bigger to leave the room.
[close]

For the most part I though it was a great game looking forward to playing the sequel.

Kweepa

So far, my biggest laugh out loud moment was
Spoiler
haggling over THE THREE TRIALS!
[close]
This game continues to entertain, and so far very logical without being too easy.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

kine

Quote from: M on Thu 01/01/2004 11:30:35
Spoiler
Where the goths are there's a locked door. You can get in using the bank card. Basically, once inside you can pull the plug on the goth's music (theres always so some ice in there). Give them something new (did you pick up the sterio from the sewage place on the bottom floor?) and the sitting goth will be more willing to help with hacking the card.
[close]

help!!! where is the sewage place?
Where do i find the sterio

Holo

Hi there.
I am stuck.  ::)

Spoiler
I got the stink bomb from the boy and tried to use it on the queue (bad English), but the vent sucked all of it in it.  ::)
So what do I have to do?
Thanks.
[close]

PS: I will register here soon. I like this message-board and the games. ^^

Floco

i arrived at poomside, and the only screens available are the scrolling one with the ship and mountains and skyline and the park front where i cant get in. in the park screen i go left and even leave the screen but it does not scroll or anything, is this a bug or there is other way? help me, im stuck!!! ???

AGA

Spoiler
Go left from the spaceship...
[close]

Floco

now i am trapped in the haunted house with john wrath's security dudes. there's a panel connected to a loose wire, a radiator and something i dont understand scribbled on the wall. what to do?

lucubration

I cannot locate the phone to use this machine. Tried pixel hunting as suggesting on page 4 of this thread to no avail....must be the world's smallest pixel if it's in that room! help :)

lucubration

NM  I feel retarded now :D

Sheila

Quote from: AGA on Thu 01/01/2004 15:54:56
asaafi:

Spoiler
Give the lens to the hippies. Then take the shovel. Then go to the bar and talk to the guys there until you go with them to dig. Then go back to the hole and take the rope. Use the rope with the sticking-out rock by the cave entrance
[close]

What rope, I can't find any rope

rtf

Just finished. It was great.  There were a ton of animations, humor, characters, the whole thing was excellent. 
The bonus section was awesome, too  :=
I fail at art.

M

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully 'deluxe' version won't be too long now.

Sam.

man this couple of weeks since the start of january has gone on a long time. ah well. maybe the passage of time will right itself in due course.
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Nick

I'm stuck! I'm in the theme park, but when I try to put a hoop over the device, It falls off.

nick3005

Quote from: Sheila on Tue 17/08/2004 00:04:40
Quote from: AGA on Thu 01/01/2004 15:54:56
asaafi:

Spoiler
[close]

What rope, I can't find any rope

Spoiler
Go out of the room and come back in again. Then all the stuff will be there and you can take the rope.
[close]

netdroid9

Wow. Just wow. ROFL!!! :P

I agree, the two main people were Bast!@# and Papabiskit. Very important. Very. Yes, I said Very. Ã, ;D

Nansober

I played this before but I cant remember how to get the toilet paper from the guy in the outhouse

nick3005

Quote from: Nansober on Mon 08/11/2004 20:10:51
I played this before but I cant remember how to get the toilet paper from the guy in the outhouse
Spoiler
Get the sitck and then keep poking it through the gap
[close]

Can you answer my other question please (before I joined the forums)

Goot

About the ring hooping thing:
Spoiler
You've got to get that guy who bends stuff to bend it for you and make it bigger. (I don't see how that's physically possible unless you can stretch it out or something, but that's what you have to do.) That guy makes you do a favor for him or something I think, which you do, then he'll bend it and you can...well...get the prize by attempting to win the ring toss.
[close]

nick3005

I'm trapped in the haunted house with the security guys.

Like this post:
Quotenow i am trapped in the haunted house with john wrath's security dudes. there's a panel connected to a loose wire, a radiator and something i dont understand scribbled on the wall. what to do?
EDIT: Figured it out ;) Here is what to do:
Spoiler
Use screwdriver on radiator, use container on water stream, use container on open wire, push the putton.
[close]

Lee

I cannot use the rope on the obstruction for some reason.  Do I need to do something first?

Nadif

Hi,
I'm not sure about the three seeds. Got the one in the hole and the one on the mountain where the ground is soft, but the third? I read something about the sewage in the lower floor of the building, but... that's before getting the seeds, right? So what's the trick?
TIA,
M.

Mr. Mysterious

Nadif, you can choose whether you want to go to Tooteo or Phleesi VI phirst... er... first.

Nadif

Quote from: Mr. Mysterious on Thu 25/11/2004 21:54:38
Nadif, you can choose whether you want to go to Tooteo or Phleesi VI phirst... er... first.

Holy cow, how did I forget that? ???

Thanks a lot.

M.

NEED HELP!

??? Ã, how do you get the shifty looking Ã, guy's cards? I NEED HELP!

Shmearlwood

Need Help!:
Spoiler
You need to scare him with the fish from the souvienr vendore
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk