Exile 1.2

Started by jrp, Sat 31/08/2002 04:41:11

Previous topic - Next topic

jrp

Since no more bugs have been reported, here is the final (hopefully) version of Exile.

http://www.otropunto.com/jrp/ags/exile.asp

Don't forget to leave your comments on the ags game page (and to rate the game), and/or here.

edmundito

very impressive, specially on the gui part.

I found this weird bug, if you're in the third location (where the guard is) if you walk to the shadows to the left of the door, it switches character to the woman! It's crazy.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

elizabeth

I get the same thing, but it crashes after it switches characters.  Pretty game though.

Andail

Very nice, very impressive. The GUI is extraordinary

jrp

The weird swithc character bug has been fix.

yay!

Relight

Cool.  Opening cutscene stuff is professional looking.

Has the fix been uploaded?

I'm stuck, but that's OK.

Poser characters are slightly annoying, but better done than some previous times by others.

I hate arrogant self-extracting progs.  I don't want icons, menu items, adds to my registry, or to my control panel add/r prog list.  <sigh>

edmundito

Small games should be on zip.
Big, long games (like Pleurghburg, for example) should be on installers and zip (two options!)

AGS Games don't really require an installer, so that's why zip is probably the best option

That's just a suggestion, though, and that's what I'll do myself anyway.

jrp

Actually, the installer is a nesesity. The movies use an obscure video codec, and i use the installer to also install the codec.

The uninstall icon cleans your menus, and stuff, anyway.

Also, as far as I know, the installer doesn't touch the registry (I hate that too).

volmel

This is a beautiful game.  Unfortunately, I suck at playing it and am stuck.

Cerulean

I toughed it out and figured out what to do. Pretty clever.

By the way, the dead guard still gets up and talks to you if you try to flirt with her. Also, looking at the tree in the top of the building gives you the message you would expect from shooting at the door.

Pod

Quote from: Relight on Sat 31/08/2002 21:01:26Cool.  Opening cuts
I hate arrogant self-extracting progs.  I don't want icons, menu items, adds to my registry, or to my control panel add/r prog list.  <sigh>

i'm with you!
VIVA LA ZIP DISTRIBUTION REVOLUTION :D

also i like the Monkey island style insult fighting :) thought, im sitll figuring out how to get past the guard, seeing as ive tried everything wirth everything in all 4 scenes of the game ;)

edmundito

JRP has a point though.... if you need to install extra codecs and stuff, you should have a installer. It's the nice thing to do.

Maybe you should release a patch for the game on zip.

jrp

Ok, I fixed the Bugs reported by Cerulean. They are very small, and don't afect gameplay, so if you got 1.1, you probablly won't want to download 1.2

m0ds

Very good game, well done. I haven't played much but what I have played its cool.

Although the GUI is excellently coded, I don't like that kind of GUI :p

The opening logo is very good too.

And yes, I agree the install thing is annoying. I don't want all those icons, menu things either.

But on the whole, very good!

7-8/10!

:)
m0ds

MachineElf

Nice game! The only big downside as I see it is the speed. Everything goes ever so slowly in some screens, like when walking on those bridges that are very long. You should also have ditched the fading transitions I think. Other than that: cool graphics, good puzzles, good gameplay (although I would have reduced the number of options on the GUI). I also think that the outro was a little too long. It would have been nice if you had a way of playing through at least some parts of it. A sequel to this would be nice. I'd love to see you make a larger world to explore!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

jrp

you know you can change the speed, right? Pressing ESC brings a menu where you can tweak the preformance.

rodekill

I'm really impressed.
It reminds me of the style of adventure game that started coming out when cd-roms first became popular.
The only thing that irks me is that you can't skip the speech my clicking.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Potch

Can anyone help me get past the guard?  I have a knife and a fruit.
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

TLLOTS

Here's a hint for you :)
Spoiler
Take a look at your surroundings, especially around the guard
[close]
and if you want the full solution
Spoiler
Use the fruit on the box like thing on the ground near where the guard lurks, then after that hide in the shadows by the door
[close]

Potch

Thanks!Ã,  I almost had that, but I didn't know about the shadows.

But, now I'm stuck again (I didn't ge tvery far.)Ã,  I'm at the second guard.Ã,  I can get her to move back and forth, but she keeps saying I need papers.Ã,  Can you help?

Thank you!

AH.... resourcefulness.... never mind.  I figured it out. :-)
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Cyberion

hmm.. i can't download the game, anyone to help me out?

Snarky

jrp, your website is very, very broken. None of the tabs actually work, the link you posted doesn't go to a page on your website, and the file hosting service where your game is supposed to be says the file doesn't exist.

The game can be downloaded from the AGS game site, but I'm not sure if it's the latest version.

Ieremiou

Well, I'm no expert but I looked here => http://justadventure.com/IndependentDevs/JRP/files/
Which holds the Games by JRP...
Now from what I understand he also released the source to Exile which I think is quite awesome.
The dates on the files are not the dates of when he released them but once I have the game on my HD,
I'm on dial-up and downloading it, the timestamps on the files should be somewhere around September 02, 2002 in my mind.

/Ieremiou

Edit: Yep, I see that the internal timestamp of the install.exe is 9/01/2002. So this would be the 1.2 version.
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

Edwin Xie

Hehe, why would he put the source of Exile?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Ieremiou

I dunno, but he did. It's there.
Helped me to figure out the sucker. :P.
If you want to know how to beat the game I know how now :D.

The source is complete has almost everything including some stuff he didn't use/finish but it doesn't include the movies. Pity.

Anyways, the ending is funny, I think.

EDIT:

Just so you know... the source would need a lot of fixing/polish if you use it in AGSEdit 2.6.2 even though it compiles a few of the scripts don't work like they used to. The GUI has text labels all over it and so on.

I'd need to really understand how to use AGSEdit to figure it out.

Btw... this game as a number of spelling errors. lol.
His Frontpage
Here you can gain access to what's left of his site
But all the files are off site and they are most likely long gone since it says object not found.
You can see though what his ideas were for the other game he was working on.

Quote from: Last Entry from his websiteToday, I finally graduated as an Engineer. Yay for me!
On site related news, I published the source files from "exile", and added a new section under Literature.

Most likely he's being an engineer nowadays is my guess.

Everything that was on his site is still there though.. like for instance... He did some really sweet wallpaper...

http://www.otropunto.com/jrp/arts/wallpapers.php

Javascript is messed up it seems but the links to the images are...

http://www.otropunto.com/jrp/photo/wp_fight_1024.jpg
http://www.otropunto.com/jrp/photo/wp_spaceship_1024.jpg
http://www.otropunto.com/jrp/photo/wp_spaceshiprojo_1024.jpg

And I couldn't stop... as you can see His last post of the forums which deatils his moving in location of his files and for them to update where they are.

And I suppose you could say this is "officially" what his website is now.
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk