Trip on this. A moving thread.

Started by , Mon 02/02/2004 22:45:53

Previous topic - Next topic

discordance

. . . hello MT.

I don't think we've ever met, but I found you anyway, because you don't move.

Yesterday I was walking to work, at my job, in which I work, feeling bad because it was 5:45 in the morning and I hadn't slept last night and I knew that the next four days were going to be exactly the same, and that the weekend would last about forty-five minutes in comparison because I would be asleep for most of it. Then I looked up at the sky and noticed that the sun was just about one quarter of the way up there, and that the clouds were metaphorically on fire, and was hit by a beautiful epiphany in the same way some people are hit by cement trucks with slashed brake lines: "Drudgery, angst, and utter lack of direction in life all go down the whirling emotional toilet as soon as something mildly pretty pops up and drops warm fuzzy blankets on you! For about ten minutes."

Then I noticed that the buildings were also literally on fire and additionally were disgorging hordes of flammable axe murderers, and that velociraptors were busily disemboweling me with serrated spoons.

Life goes on.

voh

Quote from: voh on Wed 31/10/2007 15:49:27
Dear Moving Thread

There's an indication that I may have found a girl who isn't entirely fucked up in the brain for once, and I am thankful for that.

Also, my shoes hurt.

Kind regards,
voh.

Dear Moving Thread,

The indication concerning the girl mentioned in one of my previous writings to you turned out to be false not long after I had written it. As people do, I moved on.

Then again, moving on is something that has taken up most of my time over the past year. I sadly wasn't able to muster up the finances to continue my studies into English Language and Literature, and had to put a stop to them. This, of course, means that after 7 years of studying (not purely English Language and Literature, mind you) I was forced into the workplace.

I do realize that I was forced into the workplace entirely by my own decisions and actions, so there are no ill feelings harbored to anyone but myself. It was a very stressful period, mostly due to the economic downturn we've all been facing, which made finding a job worth having very difficult. I spent months worrying and nearly freaking out because if I didn't find a job I'd have to give up my apartment and so much more.

But after my part-time job ended, and with it my student loan, I was entirely broke. There was no money coming in whatsoever, and every job opening I responded to just wasn't happening.

After spending two days unemployed, however, I hit upon a bit of luck and chanced upon the job I currently have. I say chanced because I didn't know this job existed until the temp agency called me up to see if I would be interested in it.

I had calculated how much money a month I would need to keep my existing luxuries and spending pattern, and I came to a certain conclusion. That was the minimum amount of money a job had to provide me with. Now, however, I earn that amount in two weeks time, rather than four, and I am more than comfortable when it comes to my finances.

When the time comes to pay off my student loan, I'll have a buffer ready to take a good chunk out of it in one go.

Moving Thread, I went from nearly destitute to relatively rich in two days. I don't care about money, as you know, but I do care about not having to think about money constantly.

Seeing as how I still eat and spend money like I'm a student, I'm saving money by the boatload.

On the other hand, the 40 hours I pump into this job has severely shaken up my rhythm, the way I live my life, the way I approach and work on my creative projects and, well, everything else. I'm only just starting to get a grip on how things are, but the outlook is good.

In conclusion, MT, I'm in a good place.

A very good place.

Thanks for listening, once again. Your nearly unending patience has once again allowed me to ramble. I feel guilty that I haven't taken the time to listen to your stories, but I promise that next time we meet, I will be as unendingly patient with your stories as you have been with mine.

That's a promise I intend to keep.

Until next time, Moving Thread. Be well.

Robin "voh" de Graaf
Still here.

Bulbapuck

Hi MT, my name is Bulbapuck.

Today has been a bad day, and I felt like venting, so I came to you.

The reasons today is bad is that I'm sick. I can barely get out of bed, as I'm writing this I'm in my bed and on painpills. This was a bad day to get sick.. First off I'm missing school on the most important day of the week. And I'm studying one of the toughest courses in my town to become an engineer. But what's worse is that it's my own fault. It was raining and freezing yesterday yet stupid me decided to bath in a filthy lake to prove that we weren't "chickens".. Damn I'm stupid.

Another thing I did yesterday was go to the gym. And I wore myself out to the point that my entire body is sore today. I can barely move a muscle.. Damn I'm stupid.

I hate this day. But it did have some bright sides, I've had the time to play a lot of chess online, wich is fun. And I also got the time to make some trophies for the sprite jam I'm running, so all is not bad. However in that time I should have been studying.. Damn I'm stupid.

Thank you for litsening MT, it gave me some perspective. Now I know that, Damn, I am stupid.

Calin Leafshade

Ah MT, we havent met before so its nice to finally speak.

I'm becoming somewhat disheartened with my game. I'm concerned that the story will not carry the game on its own.

I'm worried that my game will be described as: "the story was ok.. but the graphics and the lack of puzzles put me off."

When i do something i like to do it well.. to be the best immediately but having looked at some of the other AGS games on offer mine pales in comparison.. especially in terms of visuals.

Now, i know what youre thinking MT, i do. Youre thinking why dont I recruit an artist.

Well this board and any other game makey board is always flooded with "i want to make a game but i dont know how" and those people are often arrogant and stupid and i dont want to be compared to them. I want to create something wholly by myself and then perhaps i'll collaborate.

Thanks for listening MT

Dualnames

Back again here MT,

My current project is killing me more than Calin's project is. It has ended up sort of vaporware it has, and although I've made many changes, it has yet to satisfy me.

I've asked the moderators to lock the topic, till I make up my mind, and in order not to give false hopes to anyone else.

Cheers James.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ThreeOhFour

Hello MT. Long time no see, man.

My game project is proving to be challenging as well. Seems to be a common theme, really...

See you in a year or two :).

Intense Degree

Dear Moving Thread

We've not met before but I thought I would introduce myself.

Without wishing to jump on the same bandwagon as everyone else I too am having trouble with my current game project. Basically I have very little time to put into it and it's not really come on that far in the last 4 months (3 mostly finished backgrounds and 3 half finished characters). Also seeing as I have roughly zero natural talent as an artist, even though I spend hours and hours on a background or a character it still looks ... well ... rubbish. I try to reassure myself that graphics aren't everything but deep down I know that they have to be reasonable, at least in proportion to the amount of time I spend on it.

Also the mountain of work there is to do on it just puts me off even starting when I do have time, which seems to be less and less often recently given the stress and hassle I have been having from work. I haven't started a GIP thread as I seriously doubt if it will ever be finished.

Anyway, thanks for your time as I know you are busy.

Mike.

Ryan Timothy B

Hey MT!
I got laid off on Monday!  About freakin time.
Ok, I know you're supposed to be angry/upset when you get laid off, but seriously, it's about time.  I've been there for 5 years and have wanted to quit for years now, just didn't due to the convenience of having a job and enjoying the people I worked with.  But now that I'm laid off, I have no excuse but to find a job. :P

I applied for EI (employment insurance), but I won't see a penny for 4 weeks minimum.  I'll probably find a job before then, but it will at least cover the few weeks that I didn't have a job.  But who knows.

Anyway, he who now has no source of income, and rent to pay, should not be buying things.  But I couldn't sit at home for a week with the (literally) crappy computer I had.  So I bought myself a new laptop!  HP Pavilion dv7-3080ca  It was $100 off, and I had been checking up that computer since it was released, just turns out it went on sale. :P

It's not a completely irresponsible move on my part.  I have been saving my money for a few years now with the intention of buying a computer and a down payment for a house.

Anyway MT, now I can start working on my new adventure game once I get the setup stuff out of the way and the tablet hooked up.  I have thought of a great storyline, one of which I'm surprised hasn't been used yet (to my knowledge).  And I'm hoping for it to have exceptional cartoony graphics.  We'll see, MT, we'll see.

Thanks MT, for listening about my new hobo status, and laptop!

Dualnames

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Rules are just guidelines.

MT, where have you been? I feel you're lost, lost like my former days in the AGS, when I cared more about other people's projects, when we thought the year was over and someone blew our minds. When Stickam was there for the newcomers to join and feel the love. When Al_Ninio was a man. A real man.

What happened to you MT, nobody wants to share the love with you? Is this forum place finally out of emos? Is there happiness overflowing this forum?
I'm not nostalging the old days. I'm nostalgic about you MT. I'd find you everywhere. Took me some while to understand you. But now I feel that circle is complete. So I revive you one last time. I'm giving you the kick you need to wake up from your Limbo. I'm making you what you are again.

*Uses DEFRIBILATOR*
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

vertigoaddict

'ello moving thread,

Today I woke up to the smell of french toast, only to find that it wasn't french toast but a number of my sister's failed pancake experiments (we couldn't find the non stick pan, so used an oven tray on the stove instead). She then begged me to make pancakes for her 'cause really she's hopeless in the kitchen. Then she complained that my pancakes we slightly undercooked, claiming that they were only "nearly" golden brown.

I have also recently got my visa to study in the U.K. man, getting one was such a pain, I guess it's different in every country 'cause when I was in Malaysia I just had to hand in my passport and wait for 3 months (and I was already studying, I guess illegally?).

On another note, it's Hari Raya a special religious holiday over here and the next door neighbors are playing with fireworks, them fireworks are exploding so closely to my window (my room is on the edge) that the sparks are hitting on the glass and I'm freaked out. Damn. Considering they live like a house away you'd think it wouldn't reach here but I guess they're shooting it at an angle or something.

I also thought of a way to kill someone with an eraser, or any random small object really, don't you just have to shove it down their throats and make them choke to death?

^might do for an interesting adventure game puzzle?

Some family members I couldn't remember visited today and it was very awkward talking to them, especially when they came to see my mother and brother. I just sat there answering a couple of questions and they left staring at me. Aaaaaawwwkwarrrddd....  :(

meh not a lot of stuff happening today but hey I'm breathing.

FSi++

This thread has moved me to tears again. Thank you, moving thread for being so moving.  :'(

Alun

Today I found the Moving Thread for a first time.  This turned out to be particularly bad timing, however, because today has been by far the most uneventful day I've had in a very long time.  I'm just getting over a rather bad cold (at least, I hope I'm getting over it), so I literally didn't leave my bedroom until around 7 p.m.  (Note: For the purposes of this statement, the bathroom should be construed to count as part of the bedroom.  But only for the purposes of this statement.)  And even then, it was only because I figured it might be a good idea at some point to eat something.

Still, even if today was extremely uneventful, it comes at the end of a rather eventful week.  (Or the beginning of the next week, I guess, depending on how you look at it.)  I had three paid shoots this last week, for two TV shows (one of them a pilot, though my character alas will not be recurring) and an interactive internet project.  The pilot and the internet project I'm not supposed to talk about yet, but the other TV show was a show on Spike TV called 1000 Ways to Die.  Which people outside the U.S. probably haven't heard of, uh, and, OK, most people inside the U.S. may not have heard of it, either, actually.  But still, I got paid for it, and it'll be another IMDb credit for me, so hey, there's that.

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Alun on Mon 20/09/2010 04:50:52
But still, I got paid for it, and it'll be another IMDb credit for me, so hey, there's that.
Cool. What's the link to your imdb page?

Alun

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Mon 20/09/2010 18:44:11
Cool. What's the link to your imdb page?

I've actually mentioned it once before, in a post about voice acting in the Offer Your Services thread, but it's http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2825835/.  (My first name isn't given as "Alun" there because I use a different pseudonym for my acting.)

And now, since I'm posting on this thread again, I guess I should say: Today... wasn't really much more eventful than yesterday.  Bleh.  I did go to USC to pick up an official transcript that I needed for a job application, only to realize that I had forgotten both my checkbook and my bank card and, while I did have more than enough cash with me to cover it, they don't take cash.  So I'll have to go back down there tomorrow.  Which, since my car recently broke down and I currently live in a place that's sort of out of the way and hard to get to and from by bus, will not be a quick or easy process.  In the last week and a half I have spent enough time on the bus to get more than two thirds of the way through Moby Dick.  (No, seriously, that's literally true; I'm on page 497 out of 724 (and that's not counting the twenty pages of preface and introduction.)  Though technically part of that time was actually on Metro rail rather than the bus, I guess...)

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Bulbapuck

This day sucks..
It can burn in hell for all I care.

As most days it started with me struggling out of bed, I'm late so I skip the shower. When I see my reflection in the window of the tram I realize this was a mistake. I'm a mess.

First period I worked on a project, but my partner didn't show. And he had all the files. I had to wait 2 hours for him but he never showed up. Fuck.

The rest of the day I struggle to try and learn something while being so tired it feels like someone attached weights to my eyelids. I have to stay late as I have to work on the project which I wanted to get done in the bloody morning.

I get home at 9 PM, and this is when life decided to completely screw me over. I just wanted to relax for a bit. Play some Knytt Stories while litsening to music. But no. My stationary computer broke down, can't get it to start at all.

I bang my fist into the table, bad move.... I realize I had my iPod in my hand. It suddenly froze and I can't do shit about it.

And now I have to stay up late to prepare a lab tomorrow....

Fuck this day.

EDIT:My iPod is working again, I'm happy again :)

Ryan Timothy B

Oh moving thread, this has been such a poor poor day.

First I wake this morning to find out the butcher at my father's grocery store has fallen off a small ladder and busted up his face. He was rushed by helicopter to the nearest city for brain surgery because he was bleeding into his brain (whatever the technical term is). The man is 70 years old, too hardworking and stubborn to retire, and he is possibly going to die. That's pretty shitty.

Then with all the stress on my father with this recession and him fighting to keep the business afloat, and now with this incident being the icing on the cake. He's going to sell the store.

Half a year ago I quit working at the sawmill I had been at for a little over 5 years just to come back to the store to help him out. Now I know I'll have to start looking for a new job. His little nest egg will not be passed down to me.

To top things off, I'm signing papers to finally finalize the purchase of a brand new house. Do I still sign the papers, moving thread? Or do I play it safe now with the knowledge that I may not have a well paying job in a few months and not sign it?

It's been a poor day, moving thread.

SinSin

Dear moving thread
"Thas been a merdah"
to be precise 3 in the last week in my town ..  Oh I love Burnley
Currently working on a project!

Ryan Timothy B

Well, moving thread, the man died this afternoon.
I can't begin to fathom what kind of legal actions will be taken. I'm terribly sad today.

There was a security camera aimed in his direction while he was working. I happened to watch the recording and I can't stop thinking about it. I can't stop thinking about how simple of an action he was doing, and he's now dead.

The man was leaning over to move some styrofoam trays on the top shelf. His ladder rocked sideways, and with him trying to catch his balance he fell over and landed flat on the ground with his head taking some heavy damage.
The sad thing is that he was in so much shock that he didn't process the blood or injury. He went right back up the ladder, put the styrofoam trays away that he fell with. Then he put the ladder away and shortly after that he started to faint.

Dualnames

I feel so sorry for the whole situation. The man himself. What this death will cause to you. I can't help but offer my condolences to his family, even though I never met them/know them. And regardless wish you luck Ryan with your future. Sometimes when life sucks, well it sucks. The main problem I've encountered myself is that the good things happen, but we're just not looking or noticing them. Trust me on that last one.

Calin Leafshade

Good evening MT, how've you been?

I have little to tell you because I have done nothing all year. I mean *literally* this year has been largely a waste. If 2011 had not happened and we had skipped straight to 2012 I would not have noticed the difference.

I know that new years resolutions are pretty trite and mean very little but I will try my best to make 2012 something special for me, a breakthrough.

Wish me luck MT, I hope you have an eventful 2012 too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk