- water
- slopes
- hole pars and shot counts, total course shots in top right

Planned features:
- 9 holes, based on cool themes or past, present or future AGS games
- course par in top right
- a progress board

Demo unavailable for now!
Move the mouse to aim, hold the left button down to shoot.

Hole contributions welcome, as are music and sound effects contributions.

Cheers,
Steve

[EDIT] Now includes Farlander's Snail Quest hole, and mouse control.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Damien

About the Darth's course, I think that the slopes should push the ball down not up, and It would be more difficult to hit the hole if it was on a hill, also it would be better if all the courses would be drawn in the same style.

I will make some music for this great game in the next few days.

Keep up the good work.

Darth Mandarb

This is awesome!  I'm lovin' it!

When I designed the level, I had in mind that the start and finish plateaus were higher than the bottom part!  It's no biggie, but I think it would be harder if the hole was 'up' from where you're coming from because right now it's easy to get the ball to the hole cause it'll tend to stay down there.

The warp is excellent!  Just how I envisioned it!

I think I'll make another course (is that allowed?)

Suggestions:

1) When/If the ball jumps would it be possible to add a shadow?

2) This one's hard to explain:  Does the engine know where the ball is going to stop right when it's hit?  Then it does MoveObject commands?  The reason I ask, is that it would be cool if you could skip the 'rolling' animations.  You hit the ball, hit enter and it would just put the ball where it would have stopped!  Does that make sense?

3) Aiming with the mouse rather than 'steering' with the arrow keys (this isn't too big a deal!)

4) Have you ever played VirutalPool64 (on the N64)?  There's a 'cheating/helping' option where you can get a line to help visualize where the ball is going to go depending on how you hit it.  Something like that (using RawDraw) stuff should be possible and would be awesome!

5) Custom fonts/cursors/guis ... I'd be happy to help out in the art of these if you'd like!  And of course a great title screen!

This is an excellent project and if it keeps just getting better and better I can see it as something that could be included with the AGS demo/download (or at least an extra demo package) to really showcase the 'thinking outside the box' with AGS!

Great stuff!

~ d

Moox

would it be possible to mod the minigolf into pool or bowling?

Snake

Sweet! Is it alright to make a Snake Course?

W00h00!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Chicky

i like , lots and lots. How long did it take to program teh plugin? i dont have a clue how any of that stuff works

nice one

-OVC

Kweepa

Damien,
Music? Great! Thanks!
Yeah, it would be great if the holes all matched in style, But I'm not sure how realistic that is...

DM,

1) Umm, I was thinking about it, and I can kind of do it, but it won't be perfect, unless I change the game engine a bit... It's a bit of a pain to enter the data for the walls and floors, you see, so it's kind of faked. We'll see.

2) That's sort of possible - I can "forward wind" by just running the physics at full computer speed. But doesn't that ruin the fun?

3) Yeah, I could do that easily I guess. Probably makes more sense.

4) Cheating? Pah! That would be a problem, because I don't think the physics would run quickly enough to preview the shot.

5) Of course I planned that stuff, and of course I'd love to have those things from you - I love your style! But I don't want to distract you from the beta test of JP & Cosmo.

You can make another hole too - that's encouraged!

Lost,
You were right about the slope direction on DM's hole.
Ummm, pool or bowling? Those are totally different games, but they're certainly possible. I'll release the code with this and you can play with it if you like.

Cheers,
Steve

[EDIT]
Snake - sure, a snake course is fine! Looking forward to it.

OVC - Umm, the plugin is just a floating point number plugin. It took about an hour to write. The ball physics are all in the room script. Those took two or three hours to put together. It's scripting the hole layouts that takes time now.

James Kay

Maybe you could do a frog course, with a road and a river and...

..no, hang on...I'm thinking of something else there.  ;D

Goldmund

Cool! Creative scripting!

Goldmund's Course will have walking deaths and a maze puzzle.

Timosity

Yeah, looks excellent Steve,

I don't mind which way you have the slopes for DM's hole, but by the way it's drawn, it looks like you got it the wrong way around.

and on the third hole I was a bit confused in what the light green part was, I guess it must be some sort of jump cause you don't go under what looks like a tunnel, and if you hit the ball slow enough you end up back on the bridge and have to go round again.

anyway, I guess you'll have new improved graphics and uniform slope, jump, tunnel etc and other features when done. well if not there's a suggestion.

and DM, I don't know what you were thinking about skipping the shot animation/move with a click or key, wouldn't that totally ruin the whole point??

keep up the good work

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Timosity on Mon 23/02/2004 08:27:51and DM, I don't know what you were thinking about skipping the shot animation/move with a click or key, wouldn't that totally ruin the whole point??
It wouldn't automatically skip the rolling animation.  But if you hit ENTER or another specified key you could skip it.

I'm just thinking back to games like 'Zany Golf', 'Virtual Pool 64', and others where, after a while of playing, you no longer want to wait for the move to finish you just want to get to the next one.  So you can just skip past the rolling animation.  You don't have to, but you can.  Just an option I think a lot of people would appreciate.

Steve - I got the PM and I'll be in touch!  I've got some work to do (real-world stuff) which shall be keeping me occupied for a bit, but I'll be back ;)

~ d

Damien

QuoteYeah, it would be great if the holes all matched in style, But I'm not sure how realistic that is...
I made the revised version of this background (DM style):

And here is teh new one:

Kweepa

Hey, that's nice work!
Unfortunately (there had to be one) the engine is top down for internal reasons - it would take me days (and a lot of head pain) to do a proper 3d engine. It would then be much easier to move the whole thing into the plugin, with AGS just doing the sound, rendering and input.
And this was just supposed to be a side project for me!

Steve

[EDIT]
If it was rotated 90 degrees, it would then fit the current physics engine. I'd just have to implement scrolling. And a lookaround mode. But hole 3 would be out of the question...

Raggit

How can I help with this?  I'd be willing to contribute some holes if they are needed.  If so, where do I send them?
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Chicky

hey i palyed the new demo, and i have to say. WELL DONE!

i like the DM style, and the friction works just rite.

nice one

-OVC

Kweepa

Raggit,
You can just post your level (gif?) here, or PM me with the link.
Cheers,
Steve

Gregjazz

Ooh, DLing it right now! I've always been a fan of 'mini games'.

James Kay

When doing slopes you should use the "standard" lighting, ie. top left.
Therefore the sloped top and left are brighter and the bottom and right ones are darker. Somehow this feels most natural to the eye.
So in the demos first level, the slopes should be lighter, not darker, if the hole and starting point are lower than the bottom part of the screen.

On the tee, I can't tell the difference between the ball and the while dot.

Wouldn't mind doing a course myself, actually.

Bluke4x4

This demo is great. I love this idea. Can anyone make a course? If so, I'm hard at working on mine.

Raggit

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/RaggitMGhole.BMP

Here is my hole!

Thanx Neole! ;)

PS, that's a hump, not a dip, and please make sure the ball rolls into the water if it get's too close! !  ;)
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

Gregjazz

This game is going to be really awesome. I was playing the demo, and I can really feel that this is going to be a great game. It's just so fun!

You might consider making a multiplayer version in the future, using avo's TCP/IP plugin.

Kweepa

Cheers!
Any chance of an Apprentice hole?

Gregjazz

Hmmm... I'll have to see if I can get Big Brother to draw one for you. I'll ask him!

Nacho

I made another course following Darth Mandarb's style, which rocks....

It is called: Arizona Scott and the twin-designed slope.

It matches in the "future AGS games" cathegory.

As the name says, the main difficulty are two twin slopes, and I think the pair could be 4.

Here is a shot in Gif:

And here is the *.bmp that the creator will have to download to make me the honour of including the course, if proceed...

http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/MinoGolfArizona.bmp

P.S. Yes... I wrote "minogolf" when I saved the files  :P

P.S.S. Lol... I'm with stupid! ;D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Kweepa

Fabulous!
It's in the latest version, unavailable for now!

Along with
- Haddas' hole
- title screen
- scoreboard (although these are not in DM's style!)

Steve

Kal-El

Hehe...this look cool. I'm downloading now!

Your pal, Daz.

MrColossal

love it,

the only complaint i have is it needs a unified style. the holes are so different from one another and it's confusing

but as it's a work in progress awesome so far
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Esseb

I love it also and I agree with eric in that they need a coherent style.

I think you would save yourself a lot of trouble if you let the plugin handle a lot more than simply the floating point operations. That way you could implement the "cheat" suggested before and make the levels easier to set up if you for instance create a simple program to define the walls and holes of levels and store it in ascii files the plugin reads.

deltamatrix

Very very good.

I sense a 2004 AGS award on its way. ;)
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

Moox

brilliant!

Mandarb, would u mind creating a piece pack with your grass and wood sides

Kweepa

Esseb,
As long as the holes stay 2d, it's the work of 5 minutes to put one in the game (I have a special room which allows me to "draw" the walls, and write them out to a text file), so I'm not saving myself any trouble any more by adding to the plugin.
Agreed about the style. I was hoping theming them after AGS games would obviate the need for overall coherency. Doesn't seem to be working - I haven't had any real themed contributions. And then Darth had to supply his pseudo-3d hole, the swine :)
Cheers,
Steve

Moox

Hmm, i could make you a cursor!

MillsJROSS

The light green whole represents Ace's gravity well.

-MillsJROSS

Esseb

My post disappeared due to the forum mishaps so I'll write a shortened version.

Here's a 6da course. I don't want to detail it untill a uniform look for the courses is decided on. I vote against Darth's perspective because despite how good it looks, it's impractical for detailed courses.

I tried to make my course as close to the 6da universe as possible, hence the chalk outline of a dead body and also a guitar case (with golf clubs instead of a rifle) would be placed next to the course somewhere (and I would draw a ground not let the course float in space).

Also I tried to somehow incorparate the puzzles and situations from the game into the course. The red squares that pop up are supposed to resemble the shades you must close in the game, hence you can only pass it with your ball when they're "closed".

The planks you must pass through is the wall you must break open to find the camera, I'm not too pleased with this analogy but it's good enough for a golf course.

The 5 holes at the end before the final hole represents the windows in the game, only onfe of which houses the assassin, or in this case leads onto the final section. Choose wrong and you end up in the water (you're dead) via the currently very ugly tube and must restart.

The light source is in the upper right which should let you figure out which way the slopes go. You might want to omit the first slope down (the brightly coloured one) before the shades.

Currently it's a bit hard to see which parts of the course are higher than the other, hopefully this will be more apparant when the ground is drawn.

Edit: Oh, the white ball is not part of the course, it's to show where the start is. And the chalk outline of the body was drawn in a couple of seconds only so don't hold it against me.

Edit: I drew the course so it would look it's best when stretched vertically in 320*200. Using 320*240 instead would make the courses much easier to draw if you're as anal retentive as I am.

remixor

Steve: Great work, I just downloaded the latest version and had a blast.  :)

Esseb: Geez, what is that, a par 17?
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Gregjazz

As I said before my post was erased, MillsJRoss: very disturbing. :)

Moox

Is this dead now? If so please make it open source, I would love to add a golf minigame to my current project

jason

MMM... open source would sure be delicious!  8)

sergiocornaga

Kweepa

It's not dead, it's just resting.
I've had a few things on my plate - changing job, moving country, etc.
I'll get back to it some time this year though - and the other games I'm working on...
Thanks for the course Sergio!

Steve

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk