Leisure Suit Larry 2 Point and Click

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 26/02/2004 22:16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkoddi

But... but... noooooooOooo!!!!

Spoiler
when i answered "Yes" to the girl that came when Larry was sunbathing they ran off the screen then the game crashed
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You need to download and install the patch, Inkoddi.

BTW, I've just playtested on a different system and found no less than 9 bugs, so expect another patch!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

M

Quote from: iron_man on Sat 28/02/2004 13:04:25
For the room of larry, do not count on the mouse,
because it is quite tricky to enter rooms with it from the map system. You'd better use the cursor keys to navigate larry.
Thanks for the tip, that sorted me out. Gotta say, I'm really impressed by this remake. The subtle animations and the extensive coding. Infact, you've inspired me right now! Really great effort. Well done. Havent completed yet, but I'm enjoying it.

Totoro

Did you put the patch into the original download?  :)

nope!

good job!  :D

I finished the patched game and noticed few bugs:

Spoiler
1-"death cutscenes" loops : in the swimming pool, along the cliff (The only way to escape is ALT+X)

2- pathfinding: the ship map...I got berserk!

3- X-ray in the airport: after the bomb explosion, something went horribly wrong with the Xray device: confusion beetween extern views and intern views, with luggages (I saw the intern view of the cat-bag and the extern view of a normal luggage)

4- Suits: when you wear the swim suit, why , in his pockets, there's still the swim suit -and not the normal suit?

[close]

Soya.Sauce

I'm stuck. Can someone help me out?

Spoiler
Everytime I get on the moving floor in the airport, it always says I've missed my flight! Is the game on a timer from a certain point, and if so when from? Or have I missed something - bomb's blown up, got the parachute, got the pin from the food.
[close]

Thanks

iron_man

Spoiler
I had this problem when FIRSTLY showed the ticket upstairs, then went down to get the parachute
and then again upstairs.
If you did not do this mistake, then the only thing that
comes to my mind is that perhaps you should
slow down the game speed from the options menu?
[close]

AGA

Spoiler
How do you stuff the money in Larry's bikini top?
[close]

nope!

soya.sauce & iron maiden:

Spoiler
Maybe, there is a timer...but you have plenty of time to pick up all the stuff: bobby pin, parachute...Soya, did you buy a ticket?
[close]

AGA:

Spoiler
strange but I could'nt use money on the bikini top in this version....instead,I used the soap on the top -inventory- when Larry is in the guest room
[close]

soya.sauce

Thanks for the help. Completed it.
[hint]I just got the pin and parachute before I picked up the ticket then got the ticket last.[/hint]
Great game!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

nope! - Pathfinding - I feel I can safely blame that one on AGS. It's gotten better, but it's always been its ONE issue.
          - Suit - The original didn't have the graphics, so I chose to do it that way.
          - bugs - thanks for the input, they'll be corrected in v1.2.

Sidewalk timer -
Spoiler

Like in the original, the timer starts counting as soon as the clerk has sold Larry a ticket. You can't waste time from then on.
[close]

AGA -
Spoiler

That was one of the little things I decided to scratch from the original. In this version, you can only stuff it with the soap.
[close]

General feedback - Thanks everyone. I am very glad to know that those of you who never could enjoy this game because of its parser can play it through now, that's why I remade Larry 2 in the first place!

Kneel. Now.

Timosity

I haven't tried the patched version yet, but I didn't find anything wrong after the airport.

As far as the timer goes in the airport, It isn't possible at the 'default' speed to make it in time, even if you already have the pin and parachute (before you get the bomb and ticket), and get to the walkway as fast as possible (literally just walk there, including showing passport etc)

so the timer needs to give you more time. It does work if you adjust Larry's walking speed, but you should still have it at lerast so the default speed is possible.

I'll have a go at the patched version later to see if those bugs I emailed you are all fixed.

*as much as you'll hate doing it, I'd still recommend fixing up the cliff, I know it might be something to do with regions, I had some similar problems at the beach in LSL3, but after lots of tweaking you might be able to get it right. (remember that having something eg. a region or walkable area that is only a few pixels wide can cause problems in AGS especially on a bend where pixels diagonal to each other will probably be the culprits)

It is actually quite regular that you get stuck at this point (there is a few points that this happens on the second last turn) and you have to press ALT-X to exit, load the game and restore the closest game.

It is possible to avoid if you click the mouse in the right spots, but as you know exactly where to click (and I figured out where the best places to click were) it's probably hard to get stuck.

Over all, an Excellent conversion, and I noticed the reference to my up coming sequel.

~Tim

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

You know what, Timosity? I finally found a way to fix the cliff! And I think EVERYTHING'S all right now, I DO believe I've got all the bugs trashed! So I'll soon upload a version 2.0.

BTW, I tried it in a different PC at default speed (Larry's timer at the airport). It gave me no trouble whatsoever, but what the heck, a little more time can't hurt. I'll add some.

Over all, an Excellent conversion
[/unquote]

Remember what I say in the manual, "LSL2 paved the way to LSL3, one of Sierra's best SCI games"? I felt it was my duty to pave the way for YOUR magnificent conversion. Personally, I always liked LSL3 better, but THAT one didn't have any guess-the-verb situations, so I decided on LSL2 so it would actually be worth anything.

Kneel. Now.

Timosity

It could be possible that the cpu speed has something to do with it, cause I'm running a Pentium4 2.6Ghtz machine, and as I said, I couldn't make it when all I had to do was walk from the ticket booth to the walkway without stopping.

It must be hard programming anything on computers with the amount of different hardware, software, screen resolutions, cpu speed, font sizes etc, there are, to take it all into consideration is probably impossible to make perfect, I guess that's another reason there will always be bugs, cause what works fine on one machine, won't on another.

I also have a problem on my machine, which has been a confusing bug that CJ doesn't even know the reason behind yet. It involves skipping cutscenes, It does crash on my machine if I press ESC straight away to skip the intro in LSL2, but if I wait a few seconds before I press ESC it skips fine.

I have this problem on my machine in skipping a few cutscenes in LSL3 (and on my old machine & on others there's no problem), I haven't played many games with skippable cutscenes yet on my new machine, but I'm sure it's a consistent problem. I guess time will tell.

AGA

Whoa. Snap that guy up, Tim. Just how much more work would replacing all the graphics involve?

deltamatrix

I'm having trouble applying the sunscreen.

I applied just after Larry jumps into the lifeboat but he still gets burned up. Says its not waterproof.
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

AGA

Spoiler
Hmm... wait until the lifeboat has left the ship, there's about 30 seconds before the close-up boat sequence begins, where Larry is sort of drifting away from the ship in the lifeboat. That's when I did it... You also need to put the wig on then too/hide]
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I can't understand whether this sunscreen thing is a misunderstanding or an actual bug...

Spoiler

What SHOULD happen is, if you apply the sunscreen at ANY TIME AFTER you dived in the pool, you're safe. You still need the wig, of course. Isn't this the way it goes?
[close]

Kneel. Now.

deltamatrix

i suspect its a bug.

I tried what AGA said already.

Spoiler

I applied the sunscreen when larry was in the lifeboat just before the close up and the wig. The wig seemed to work OK.

Logically, this method should work.
[close]
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk