Leisure Suit Larry 2 Point and Click

Started by Rui 'Trovatore' Pires, Thu 26/02/2004 22:16:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I still haven't managed to replicate anything! Deltamatrix, could you send me a savegame, or something? Or a recording?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Timosity

quote from Deltamatrix:
QuoteI'm having trouble applying the sunscreen.

I applied just after Larry jumps into the lifeboat but he still gets burned up. Says its not waterproof.

Yes, this is the same one I reported, It must be something to do with not applying sunscreen after you swim & when you try to apply it in the lifeboat it doesn't work (and that is in the time you are moving away from the ship, it says something like you apply sunscreen to your face and neck).

Quote from: redruM on Mon 01/03/2004 06:23:56
I still haven't managed to replicate anything! Deltamatrix, could you send me a savegame, or something? Or a recording?

I've still got a saved game from when this happened to me, I kept it just incase I had to upload it.

I don't have a server that I can hotlink from & the file is about 1.3MB, so I'll email it to you. Note: the save game is from the version before the patch.

Edit: I sent 2 emails to your hotmail, 1 was the save game at 1.3MB, then I realised that I should have zipped it, the 2nd one is 36.5KB

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ah, kay. Thanks Timosity, I get it now. I couldn't load the savegame (version 1.0 was made with the previous AGS beta, and 2.0 with the newest, so you shouldn't be able to load old savegames into IT either), but your description of the problem helped me. It's fixed, I'll upload the patch for v2.1 as soon as I can.

Kneel. Now.

wannabe78

i am unable to download the game..... the site has exceeded its bandwidth..... where can i get the game?

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Er, AGA's mirror. It's both in the first post on the thread, and on the game's page.

The patch, however, can't be downloaded until the bandwidth is reset - like I say in the first post, that's the ninth of each month.

Kneel. Now.

Kropell

This is truly great ;D

I'm an old fan of Sierra Games and really want to express my gratitude to the one behind this revival!

I'm having a problem, but the walkthroughs available to me cannot give me a solution:
After arriving on the first island and after changing into the bikini - I'm not able to put either the money or the soap into the bikinitop! Anyone got an answer for me  ???

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Thanks for the complements, Kropell. I did this for people like you to enjoy!

Spoiler
You can't stuff the money in this remake, only the soap - and you've got to be wearing the bikini and be on the guest room. AND the soap must go into the bikini top IN THE INVENTORY, not just click at Larry!
[close]

Kneel. Now.

wintermute74

What a great remake! Thanks a lot. It is a long time since I last played Larry 2 (Ah, the memories!  ::) )

Some things that are great:
- The addition of new music and sound add a lot the game
- The save game system, which allows you to delete and replace games (This seems to be difficult in AGS)
- the possibility of changing Larry's speed independently of overal game speed (this wasn't in the original game)
(- and of course the mouse control, but this was the reason for this remake)

I just started playing, but I already have a few more or less important suggestions (I compared some things with the original version):

- In the original game was a picture of Larry in the "Game Over" Screen
- Also in the original were additional menu options like
-- a Filth Level meter: It was rather useless and changed only a few words (I think), but it was a nice joke like the boss screen
-- the about screen, which showed Al Lowe torturing his programmers.

- When clicking on a door, Larry walks to the door, stops and the door opens. For entering you have to click again. This was not necessary in the old game, where Larry continued walking automatically after the door opening.
- There doesn't exist an "Exit"-Icon. For example, when sitting on the bench in the television station, you have to click in the menue on "Stand" to stand up. In some other original Sierra games, in such cases you just click some times the right mouse button, until the "Exit"-Icon appears (which replaces temporally the "Walk"-Icon). At this point left-clicking will exit the screen/situation, which is a little bit faster than using the menue.
- There is a slight spelling error, when looking at the television station:
 " KROD originates many of your favorite..."
- When shot in the shop by the clerk, Larry just falls down, in the original version he fell out of the picture (which I thought pretty funny)
- the camera man in the show behaves a little bit differently. In your version he changes between a spot on the left side and one in the middle of the right side.
In the original game he also moved from contestant to contestant (but didn't move to Barabara when she asked a question, like he does in your version)
- Just an idea, but maybe you can add some more fake applause sounds when the applause sign is lit in the show

Once again, I really like this remake.
Maybe some of my suggestions would be helpful to you. I am sure I will add some of them later, when I continue playing!

wintermute74

OK, I played a little bit further and have another bunch of recomendations.

- First a couple of typos:
-- When you try to pay for your swimsuit at Molto Lira the woman replies:
"But is that trivial, little clearance item all your are going to pu[/i]rchase today?"
-- When you get caught by mom, while opening her drawer she says:
"...like you ever since my Mister had[/i] his big one..."
-- After this and also when you walk near mom sitting on her bed:
"...Mama proceeds to have her way wi[/i]th you repeatedly..."

- Concering the game play:
-- When you save a game and enter right away a name, the game is saved in a new game slot.
When you click on a slot and enter a name, this specific game slot will be overwritten.
The problem is, that even, if you havn't select a slot, the last saved game will be highlighted, so you can't judge from the look of the save box if you are about to save a new game or overwrite the last one.
It would be better if a slot is only highlighted when  you first select it. I accidently overwrote same games I wanted to keep.
-- When you enter the swimming pool on the ship with your leisure suit and you drown, all buttons on the "game over" box a greyed out, so you can't click anything anymore and are forced to quit the game by pressing "Alt-F4".
-- on the map screen of the ship it is very difficult with the mouse to enter your cabin, the bridge and the life boat area. You have to click exactly on the foot line and not on the area itself. It is also a little bit difficult withe the mouse to enter the ship on the walkway (after you showed your ticket and passport). Maybe you should widen the clickable areas (I don't know anything about scripting in AGS, so I don't know if this would be easily done.)
-- You can't access the game menue in cutscenes like in the original game. This way you could skip for example a death cutscene, which you already know, and restore or quit right away.
-- I don't know if this is easily possible with AGS, but it would be nice if you could support local keyboard layouts for different countries.
-- I found another application for the "Filth level" slider in the original game: When you daydream in the first barber shop, you can see a nude couple running along and a dog "releaving" at your leg. With low filth levels, there would be black bars in both scenes.

- Some things which were in the original game but not in your version:
-- After you enter the harbour with the ship and the bird starts to fly it tries to hit larry with a turd when it flies over him.
-- When you dive in the swimming pool on the ship, Larry sometimes accidently "relieves" himself. Also the guy in the tub "releases some gases"
-- In your version the time span after which it turn to night and larry gets automatically to bed after entering his cabin (and thus getting killed) seems to be even shorter than in the original version. In my opinion it was already too short before.

- Some ideas for extra sounds:
-- When you try to cross the bridge, the captain gets shot by a dart and the ship crashes. A crashing sound would be nice.
-- Also funny would be a "whirling" (not sure, who to call it) sound, when Larry swirls around in the chair after being poisoned by the bar tender on the ship.
-- When Larry jumps into the life boat, you could use a comic sound for jumping and some thumping noise, when he lands in the boat.

Phew, a long list. I hope you would consider some of the topics!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Whew, and here I thought it was all over... ;)

Quote-- When you enter the swimming pool on the ship with your leisure suit and you drown, all buttons on the "game over" box a greyed out, so you can't click anything anymore and are forced to quit the game by pressing "Alt-F4".
THAT one I STILL haven't managed to fix!

Quote-- on the map screen of the ship it is very difficult with the mouse to enter your cabin, the bridge and the life boat area. You have to click exactly on the foot line and not on the area itself.
AGS' pathfinding isn't perfect, it's got a long history of not being perfect, and it DOES have this problem when one-pixel-high walkables are concerned.

Filth Level - I've cut it completely. I had noticed the difference, but I thought it wasn't worth it.

Quote-- -- After you enter the harbour with the ship and the bird starts to fly it tries to hit larry with a turd when it flies over him.
I never got around to adding that, so I thought I just wouldn't. Basically, that's it. No excuse, I'm afraid. ;)

Quote-- When you dive in the swimming pool on the ship, Larry sometimes accidently "relieves" himself. Also the guy in the tub "releases some gases"
That IS in my version. But they're easter eggs, so it's likely they won't be seen easily. It takes a lot of luck to see them.

Quote-- In your version the time span after which it turn to night and larry gets automatically to bed after entering his cabin (and thus getting killed) seems to be even shorter than in the original version. In my opinion it was already too short before.
Actually, it is, as I remember, the very same time span - 10 minutes. But of course that by raising the Game Speed, you also accelerate the timer... that's why you can set Larry's Speed.

I should have made you a beta-tester. Well, I don't have much time right now,. but I promise you most of the things you spotted WILL be fixed, thanks a lot! :D

Kneel. Now.

wintermute74

QuoteWhew, and here I thought it was all over...
Sorry, to disappoint you, but as I continue with the game I notice more and more things   :D
By the way, I hope you also noticed my first post, since you only referred to my second one.
Ok, here it goes:

-Some more typos:
-- In the resort guest room, when you answer yes to the latino maid, she sais:
" If I can make it better in any way, please don't hes[/i]itate to ask."
-- When caught by the KGB on the beach with blonde hair but still wearing the suit:
"... We vill mak[/i]e you ze best-looking..."
-- On the same spot caught with flat bikini:
"Ve caught ju, ju pawn of the prol[/i]et[/i]ariat."
-- in the resort barber shop during the body waxing procedure:
"Once again, he's got you trapp[/i]ed in the chair."
-- When looking at the cliff (after passing the agents):
"...Be careful, Larry; a fall from this height could be[/i] fatal!"

- Gameplay issues:
-- When you jump into the swimming pool in the ship you had to start to "swim" in the original game. Otherwise you would drown and die. (I guess you cut that out by purpose, because it was difficult to implement with mouse control?)
-- You may speed up the jump of Larry into the life boat a little bit, as it looks like Larry is flying.
-- At the nude beach, when the henchette of Dr. Nonookee stands up, the bikini bottom is already lying there. This item should only be there when you return from your first barber session.
-- When you get caught by the two KGB guys on the beach, the one that caught you, just stops like he is supposed to do, but the other one just keeps on running in a strange pattern around Larry.
-- The Inventory-Icons, when you use them, are way too big. It would be better if you would use different icons for displaying in the inventory and for using on the screen. They should be at maximum a quarter the size.
I know, that the original mouse-controlled Sierra games used the same icons for both purposes, but their icons were much smaller than the ones used in the earlier mouse/keyboard SCI-games (like Larry 2).
If I could be of any help in converting or redrawing, please write so.
-- Just a suggestion, nothing really important: Maybe you should add a "Use-Button" to the inventory box.
The same action is now done, when clicking the object on Larry, but in the suggested way it would be more convenient, especially in the life boat scene where you have to click the gigantic wig icon (see above) on the small three-pixel Larry icon, which is made even more difficult, because the Larry-icon is moving.
-- The "Exit" cursor (which I wrote about in my first post) could also be applied on the situation, when jumping (at exiting) the life boat without pulling the lever first and the jungle scene

- Music/sound issues
-- The machine sound on the ship is played for both lower decks. It would be more authentic, if it would only be audible in the lowest floor in front of his cabin.
-- Because in many rooms now there is constantly music playing, you removed some of the jingles. In some cases this could be helpful, for example there was a special jingle in every room where there was a henchette of Dr. Nonookee.
Another example is in the forest, where some alteration of the "Jaws"-Theme is played, when the guy with the strange head appears.
Also there were sound effects, when Larry (almost) "falls" of the cliff (after the KGB agents).
-- The volume of the different music pieces and some sound effects differs a lot. (I know, you just got the pieces unaltered from different games but maybe you can play them in AGS with different volumes, so that the effective total volume of all pieces is the same.)
For example the music, when you "play" with the latino lady in the resort bed room is too silent (especially since directly after this you hear the "game over" melody which is much louder.)
On the contrary in the barber shop the music is way too loud. (By the way, your hair cutter really plays Cranberries?). For example you nearly can't hear the high score sound or Larry's crying during the body waxing procedure. The last sound should be somewhat louder (since it is not a nice thing happening to Larry, hehe   ;D )

Ok, I fear, I have to bother you again with another post in the future, when I continue playing ;)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kay, I'll fix all that I can (and may I note that your suggestions are all considerably useful, and I am currently knocking my head against the nearest wall for not having thought of them), but as concerns the inventory items, I'd just like you to note that each item's hotspot it highlighted, that's why I suffered the items themselves to be that large.

And I saw in your first post you mention something about the way Larry behaves concerning doors - you know, that was one of the many problems of allowing Larry to have a different speed from the rest of the game. There was no other way to code around it.

I may, however, remove "Change Larry's Speed" and use AGS' new "SkipUntilCharacterFrame". What do you all think about that, people?

Kneel. Now.

wintermute74

OK, another morning report.  :D

-First again some more typos. (By the way, I know from my own experience how difficult it can be to spot your own spelling mistakes, even if you read the same text five times. Your brain sometimes does'nt want to see them.)
-- When looking at the airport doors:
"Inside, you see lines of businessmen wa[/i]ting to buy tickets."
-- buying the insurance (parachute) in the airport:
"Well, you suppose_[/i], a parachute would be..."
-- right after the take off of the airplane when Ken talks to you for the first time:
"...says the man beside you, in his[/i] too-loud voice...."
-- While looking at the passengers in the first class compartment:
"They stare back at[/i] you, thinking..."
-- After entering the cockpit:
"Carrumb[/i]a!"..."

- concerning gameplay:
-- After conquering the cliffs and before entering the airport, Larry automatically change clothes. I guess you did it by purpose, since you don't see Larry in this scene and therefore can't click on him.
Maybe you could reintegrate this scene, since it contains another puzzle element (with points) and another funny death scene. If you'll use the "USE" button in the inventory like I suggested earlier this would be no problem.  ;)
If not, you may allow Larry to change at the airport, where you can see him (even if the original game didn't allow that).
(-- I have to disappoint you a little, but the cliff problem, which other people experienced, happened to me too. I got stuck and I had to reload the game. But it only happened once and I couldn't reproduce it.)
-- I also got stumped for a short time whith the soap puzzle like other people. Maybe you should allow clicking with the soap on Larry, because as the player you want to fill the top, which Larry is wearing. But in this case the "USE"-Button (if you would add such  ;) ) may not be supposed to work to make the puzzle not too easy to solve by accident.
-- it is rather difficult to grab the suitcases in the airport, because they have to be directly behind Larry, where you can't click them easily with Larry in front. In the original game it was possible to already catch them, when they were directly on the left side of Larry. Especially in this point&click version this would make things way easier.
-- When the screen is shaking (like for example in the time bomb explosion) it shakes only in vertical directions, in the original game there was also sideway movement. (I don't know if this could be a AGS limitation?)
-- It could be difficult to click on your seat in the airplane: The upper border of the clicking area for the seat should be extended. I very often selected "Ken" even if I clicked on the upper seat graphic.
-- While seating you have to click "Stand" in the menu (see my older posts about "Exit".)
-- The stewardesses, when serving drinks, just drive to the middle and stop instead of moving back and forth like in the original.
-- When you havn't played the original game, it is very hard to guess, that there could be an emergency exit in the corner. In the original game this was hinted at in the text: When you tried to look at the toilet door with "look door", the game would tell you, that actually there are three doors, one of them an emergency exit. After this you would just go search for it.
Maybe you could include a similar text when you just look at the room in general or some of the doors.
-- Also in the original: When you enter the area around the emergency exit and can't reach the rest rooms, some guys in the background change places. This kind of annoying joke is missing.
-- when dropping down with the parachute, it opens automatically skipping the death scenes, when opening the parachute too late or not at all. (This also can be done with the "USE" button ;))
(-- All the timed sequences (for example on the ship, before plane departure, plane landing, pause between Ken's talking) seem much shorter than in the original. I saw in the forum that some other people had the same problem. This could be difficult since the timer seem to be highly dependant on the indivdual computer configuration.)

- And now many, many sound issues. But since these are only suggestions it is up to you if you keep them or toss them.  ;D
-- A fact which I liked very much in your version is that you added outdoor music which gets louder when you enter the specific room. The only problem is that the outdoor music volume is too low.
I noticed this especially in the airport barber shop. While in my opinion the music in the shop itself is too loud (see the last post from me above), the music in front of this is barely audible. This is sad, since therefore you can't recognise very well the extra Cranberries joke, you added. Maybe you should lower the difference of indoor/outdoor volume in all these scenes.
-- Maybe you can add an extra MIDI music volume slide, since this is dependent on your sound card and not the same on all systems (in contrary to the WAVE volume).
-- You can hear airplane noises in the airport barber shop, which distracts from the "All barber shop are the same" theme.
-- You should add some exaggerated dramatic sound or jingle when taking the time bomb (acutally this would be good for all occasions when large text is shown: At the moment I only remember the following scenes: the intro with "Dr. Nonookee" and some "special" comment, when you first see Kalalau on the beach)
-- When carrying the bomb there ought to be a ticking sound (like in the original) and maybe also a suspenseful music.
-- a drop sound followed by gargling when you accidently eat the bobby pin of the "Blue P ate Special"
-- a machine whirling sound, when bying the insurance (parachute)
(-- The sound you used, when Larry's "mind wanders" is really good!)
-- in the airplane you should add a background hissing/humming noise (from the air conditioner).
-- The plane take off sound could be longer and louder.
-- There should be a high pitched gong before the captain's announcements.
-- There may also be a special jingle before the stewardess speaks to the passengers
-- It would be funny if you could add a comic rubber dragging (difficult to describe) noise when entering/exiting your seat and a kind of "plop" when you finally succeed.
-- a sound while your scalp is being removed by Ken (maybe an exaggerated ripping sound, or even some crying of Larry)
-- a chopping sound (from the ax) and maybe a thump after that (from the falling body) after entering the cockpit
-- a landing sound (plus tires hitting the pavement), when you stay too long in the plane
-- different clicking sounds when opening the lock, lever and door of the emergency exit
-- a loud hissing sound, after opening the door, followed by a sucking sound (vacuum cleaner) when Larry gets pulled out.
-- some falling sound (like you did in when falling in the jungle) when Larry drops into the sea
-- parachute opening noise.
-- you could make a sound of cracking and breaking branches, when landing in the jungle.
-- a cutting sound, when using the knife on the parachute
(-- The subsequently sound sequence you made of crying/falling/landing is really great!)

OK, be prepared for the next round  ;D

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ok, I considered everything you said, but haven't corrected everything, for a different number of reasons. You'll find the new version doesn't have all the additions you suggested, but it's got the ones I thought were important.

Kneel. Now.

wintermute74

I just completed your game and must congratulate you again about this remake. Its really fun.
Had I know that there would be so many issues, I would have E-mailed you from the start, since I don't think these listings would be very insteresting to other people. But anyway as from now it would be better if we contact each other per E-Mail.
I didn't find your E-Mail-Adress on your profile page, so here is mine:
mxjgr.fakeadress@gmx.de
(just remove ".fakeadress" from the URL)

Interesting to know that you are actually from Portugal. I guessed before, that you might be from some spanish speaking country because of one of your typos ('nacional')
Afortunadamente, não falo muito bem o Português.  >:( ;)

Anyhow here are my latest findings. I will make an extra post/E-Mail later about sound/music issues, since I have a lot of ideas in this area! (Yes, this is a threat!  ;D)

OK, here goes nothing:

- Again the typos:
-- After falling down in the jungle:
"A fall like that would be enough, to break the average man's onkl[/i]unk!..."
-- Looking at the trees after the fall:
"... in the middle of a jungle on a tropical island[/i]?!"
-- and directly after this:
"The gro[/i]und here is unusually spongy."
-- during Kalalau's monologue after kissing:
"...; all of us here on Nontoonyt Island do[/i]..."
-- later in the monologue:
"... a megabuck deal with a large, multi-nat[/i]ional hotel..."
-- village, in front of the chief's hut (in all other parts of the village the sentence is OK), when looking at the plants:
"The dens[/i]e undergrowth of the jungle..."
-- chasm with the dead tree, when looking at the trees:
"...of the fern family, one of the first tru[/i]e trees..."
-- above the waterfall, looking at the room:
"...are only activated here on this e[/i]nchanted island."
-- during the final scenes; Larry on the radio:
"How about if I have some palm trees emit a cloud of fog to su[/i]rround the island,..."
-- in front of the Witch Doctor's hut, wedding ceremony:
"And finally moon[/i]walk across this dirt compound!"

- Gameplay issues:
-- A very small thing: when you order your ticket at the airport, your answers are displayed in the middle, the ones from the clerk at the top. But the last message of the dialogue which is spoken by the clerk is wrongly displayed also in the middle.
-- Maybe you shouldn't let Larry automatically crawl after seeing the killer bees, but require the player to use the hand icon on the ground or something like that.
-- There is a bug in the east part of the village:
When get hit by the wood chopper, after the "Game Over" box is displayed, the same text messages of the death scene appear once again!
-- All the inventory combinations (there aren't that many in this game) are only one way, for example you do have to use the bag on the rejuvenator, the other way around it won't work. It would be better if both solutions would be possible, since normally you just click the two items which you want to combine in some way together without regarding the correct order (at least I do this very often).
-- Maybe you should change Patty's hair to dark like it is in Larry 3, since you already changed the texts referring to this game (reffering to Timosity's remake)
-- And, at the end, instead of just suddenly quitting the game without any message (if you didn't play the original game before, you could assume that AGS might just have crashed!), you may display a big "THE END" sign (maybe from some other game), slowly fade the rest of the picture out and only quit after the player presses a key

Till

I simple cant get the binkini bottom :(, it isnt there.

wintermute74

Quote from: Till on Mon 15/03/2004 16:10:59
I simple cant get the binkini bottom :(, it isnt there.
Did you already went to the barber shop? You have to get a hair cut first, otherwise the bikini bottom wouldn't appear.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Whoops, a bug... fear not, I'll soon have it fixed.

Kneel. Now.

wintermute74

Quote from: redruM on Mon 15/03/2004 20:52:12
Whoops, a bug... fear not, I'll soon have it fixed.
Sorry, I didn't realise, that you already uploaded a new version!
Seems, that you corrected the previous bikini bottom bug, I mentioned (it was visible too early), a little bit too efficiently.  ;)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

There. Updated, the bug's fixed. Sorry 'bout that.

Kneel. Now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk