The Mystery of Haunted Hollow

Started by Hollowman, Sun 29/02/2004 16:21:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollowman

I have finally finished my first game - The Mystery of Haunted Hollow.

The game follows the adventures of a boy named AJ, who, during one dark night, unravels a mystery that has surrounded his home town for centuries.

It is available for download at

http://www.freewebs.com/hauntedhollow/Hollow.zip

I think it will be a pretty slow download considering where it is hosted, but the file isn't huge (1.2MB) so hopefully it won't be too long a dl.

I am pretty sure I have crushed any bugs in the game but I apologise in advance if there are any that I missed.

Hope you enjoy it. :)

EDIT: The link doesn't work for some reason so the best bet is to go to:

http://www.freewebs.com/hauntedhollow

And use the download link at the bottom of the page.

EDIT 2:

A big thanks to jannar85 who has been kind enough to offer a mirror for downloading the game which should be quicker than the terrible freewebs site.

http://runestone.adventuredevelopers.com/temp/Hollow.zip  

HillBilly

w00t. You finished it! Looking forward to play it.

...5% complete...

Which should be a while.

EDIT: If you use the steak with the church window, he says he wont go near the dog and turn. Now the GUI is locked and cursor is changed to an arrow. You can't do anything.  :'(

Kairus

Yeah! It's already finished. I played the demo I think last week or the previous one :P I didn't have to wait too much.

I'm downloading it now...
Download Garfield today!

DOWNLOADINFOWEBSITE

Hollowman

Quote from: HillBilly on Sun 29/02/2004 17:31:44
EDIT: If you use the steak with the church window, he says he wont go near the dog and turn. Now the GUI is locked and cursor is changed to an arrow. You can't do anything.  :'(

Sorry about that :(

Not sure why that was happening, but I think I have fixed it now and replaced the file.

aicram

Help! I'm stuck in the house.  Does anybody know where to find the key to the backdoor?

karelimur

Spoiler
You can leave the house another way.  Instead of going through the living room door, take a left, which brings to to the front door.
[close]

I'm stuck too:
Spoiler
I have the steak, matches, wet sponge, cup, ticket, and have talked to mom and her friend.  Don't know what to do now...
[close]

Keith Weisshar

I can't exit the screen which appears when I look at the church door.  This screen has a chewing gum blocking the coin slot.  Also in the school lab when I use cupboard I find a beaker but it does not appear in the inventory.  I need to fill the beaker with water and boil it with the bunsen burner.

Hollowman

Quote from: Keith Weisshar on Mon 01/03/2004 02:25:38
I can't exit the screen which appears when I look at the church door.  This screen has a chewing gum blocking the coin slot.  Also in the school lab when I use cupboard I find a beaker but it does not appear in the inventory.  I need to fill the beaker with water and boil it with the bunsen burner.

Spoiler
You exit the coin slot screen by interacting with the bottom right of the screen. Exit should appear when you are over the right area.

The beaker in the cupboard is not needed.
[close]

Hope that helps.

luutje

nice game. but i'm stuck. how can i get the log and the flower. and how get i rid of the dog.

HillBilly

Spoiler
When I use the cup in the mud, and give it to Bernie, AJ says "aah, what the heck"
[close]

What do he mean by that?

Hollowman

Quote from: HillBilly on Mon 01/03/2004 16:48:28
Spoiler
When I use the cup in the mud, and give it to Bernie, AJ says "aah, what the heck"
[close]

What do he mean by that?

Spoiler
He is looking for HOT chocolate, not cold mud... You need to do something else to the mud first.
[close]

aicram

Quote from: karelimur on Sun 29/02/2004 23:05:31
Spoiler
You can leave the house another way.  Instead of going through the living room door, take a left, which brings to to the front door.
[close]

I'm stuck too:
Spoiler
I have the steak, matches, wet sponge, cup, ticket, and have talked to mom and her friend.  Don't know what to do now...
[close]

I tried leaving the house by the front door but mum tells me to get back to bed - how do I leave the house?

DJ

I'm stuck on the same problem. Can't find the backdoor key.

Hollowman

Quote from: DJ on Mon 01/03/2004 21:54:27
I'm stuck on the same problem. Can't find the backdoor key.

First:

Spoiler
Someone left a note to tell the household where the key will be. Think of a place where messages might be left and look closely in that place.
[close]

If you are still really stuck:

Spoiler
Look at all the fridge magnets
[close]

I also uploaded a newer version of the game which should fix a few problems I found.

miryoku_81

great game so far, but I'm afraid that I'm stuck

Spoiler
I'm no sure what to do with the dog in front of the church.  I keep trying to combine the flower that makes me sleepy with the meat, but it won't let me.
[close]

Hollowman

Quote from: miryoku_81 on Tue 02/03/2004 04:12:35
great game so far, but I'm afraid that I'm stuck

Spoiler
I'm no sure what to do with the dog in front of the church.  I keep trying to combine the flower that makes me sleepy with the meat, but it won't let me.
[close]

Here's a hint that should help...

Spoiler
The flower is one ingredient in a recipe you need to make up. The recipe can be found in a place of learning.
[close]

nope!

:'( I'm stuck in front of the church door.

Spoiler
I think that I need a special coin but I can't find it
[close]

DJ

I can't get in the school. When I use an item on the window, it reads, "Talking to it won't do any good." Bug?

Hollowman

nope!:

Spoiler
The coin is located in the museum, just hunt around for it, you will find it.
[close]

DJ:

Yep, slight bug I suppose, just need to change a message.

Spoiler
You can still get into the school however, but you need a specific item to get you in through the window. If you know how to get into the school sheds, you should be able to find the right item.
[close]

DJ

Just completed it. Terrific game! Good job. I look forward to the sequel.

luutje

i finished the game. and i like it very much. thanks a lot

aicram

Quote from: luutje on Mon 01/03/2004 13:30:00
nice game. but i'm stuck. how can i get the log and the flower. and how get i rid of the dog.
Cool game but I'm stuck.  How do I get the log and where is the ticket???

nope!

for the log

Spoiler
you need a tool...this tool is in a place which doors are closed...you need a key...etc...
[close]

for the ticket

Spoiler
take a look around your mother, in front of the house
[close]

Rincewind

Downloaded it, and it's a nice game. But should it really start outside the church with the dog? It does for me...
And also, debug mode is still on... :) Might wanna turn that off...

But otherwise it's really cool - It's got a lot of atmosphere and mood.

Hollowman

Quote from: Rincewind on Wed 03/03/2004 10:34:03
Downloaded it, and it's a nice game. But should it really start outside the church with the dog? It does for me...

That was after I fixed a few things and due to my own stupidity uploaded the wrong version. I fixed it again pretty quick but you must have downloaded in between the two uploads.

Sorry about that  :-\

Larien

Excellent game.  Are you SURE it's only your first?  ;)
There were a few bugs, which I think you already know about, but other than that there were no problems.  You had some great puzzles.  I never would have thought of some of that stuff myself.  Good for you.  
I'm definitely looking forward to anything you put together in the future.  Just remember, you keep makin' 'em, we'll keep playin' 'em.  Great job.  :)
"A writer without inspiration is but a fool with a pen." --Sitara Stanton
http://www.myspace.com/zalea1864
"Someday--when things are slow again--we'll burn this city down." --J.M., who was quoting from...well, somewhere unbeknownst to me

meowy

Having fun playing it! =)

Minor look-at message error to report:
Spoiler
The look-at message for the red pot (while in inventory) displays a message related to the mom's look-at, rather than one related to a red pot.
[close]
- meowy

jannar85

The screenshots looks nice! Downloading it now.. I will mirror this on my server, which can be a bit faster. Edit your post with this new url as well:

http://runestone.adventuredevelopers.com/temp/Hollow.zip
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

ElaineMc

This was a fun game to play. I especially liked the location map, and the references to Laura Bow [the first adventure game I ever played!].

AJ was a nicely conceived character, and the use of look-at and interact-with comments helped to make him a little more "real".

Question: Will Bernie *ever* forgive him?? *g*
1. Never make unnecessary noise.
2. Never use unnecessary light.
3. Never expect a rescue.
Outrider - Zombies exist. Deal with them.

lspace

I'm stuck too.  I got into Shed B but don't know how to get into Shed A.

cutie_02_

I still can't find the ticket. Some help please.  ???

autowil

Quote from: cutie_02_ on Wed 10/03/2004 21:43:31
I still can't find the ticket. Some help please.  ???

Spoiler
Combine the magnet on the string in the inventory and use it on the grate outside the front door near ur mum.
[close]

Anyone know how to get in the park? I see the post that must give cup of mud plus some other thing to the guy. What other thing is that??

Nostradamus

Very interesting game!
I need some help:
Spoiler
How do I enter the sheds?   Also, I've entered the museum but can't take the pot. Opened the window but can't find it on the outside to take the pot from there.
[close]

Larien

Nostradamus:
Spoiler
You can't get into the shed until you do what you have to do with the pot.  Open the window in the museum and use the pot on it.  I don't remember if you have to pick it up and use it on the window or what, but you have to drop it.  You should then be able to go outside and get what you need off the ground.
[close]
"A writer without inspiration is but a fool with a pen." --Sitara Stanton
http://www.myspace.com/zalea1864
"Someday--when things are slow again--we'll burn this city down." --J.M., who was quoting from...well, somewhere unbeknownst to me

Nostradamus

need more help:
Spoiler
I'm in the spaceship with Ms. Derby. What do I do to save her and get out?
[close]

Damien

Nostradamus:

Spoiler
First you use the panel in the middle of the spaceship to get the commands in english, then you use the button above the far left panel, then you use the same looking button on the far right panel
[close]

Nostradamus

Snake

Yeah, the pixel hunting is a bitch.

I love this game so far anyway...
I loved the demo too. Can't wait to get further :)

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Kediri

Something strange happened to me - after I finished playing the game I ended up back in the bedroom! So I explored a bit - can't do anything beyond the door in the church that's just a blackscreen.
Mom keeps telling me to go to bed and the police are still looking for Mrs Derby!
But I did manage to get into the manor house and found the letter!! ;D
So I assume the game really is at an end now?

Queen Kara

Arg, I hate being so crappy at games.
Please help.

Spoiler
I got the ticket and some other stuff just fine but I can't find the key to the backyard door , can't set fire to anything to distract Mum ,  and Mum won't let me go exploring away from the house.  But , muuuum , there's a mystery to be solved! ( lol ) The game won't let me cook the steak or use the sponge on anything either. It'd be funny if I could distract mum by wetting her favorite painting or cooking for her. And the game won't me sleep so am I supposed to stay up just because there's a mystery? lol
[close]
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Ashen

Kara:
Spoiler
The key is in the house - have you read ALL the notes on the fridge? And you use the sponge in the same place you got it. Try everything ON everything
[close]
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Queen Kara

Spoiler
There are notes on the fridge? I only saw magnets! Whoops. As for using the sponge in the same place I got it...I tried that , I thought I already made it clear that I have a wet sponge and nothing to use it on? Or do you mean trying to use the wet sponge in the bathroom again? Sorry , bit confused here ,  I just joined another forum ( for the place that used to be Tierra ) and was just asking about the King's Quest parody there. Any way....back to the subject at hand...I'll try again but with my luck I'll probably still be stuck. lol *pout and whine* arrrr
[close]
Thanks for the post.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Ashen

Kara:

Spoiler
My mistake, thought you hadn't wet the sponge yet. You don't need the wet sponge INSIDE the house, that comes later. There's A note on the fridge, but it's a bit of a pixel hunt.
[close]

If you want a bigger spoiler about the key:
Spoiler
Try everything in the hallway (with the stairs).
[close]
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Queen Kara

Thanks.
Spoiler
I finally got out but I think I discovered another bug.
When you try to look at the trees ,  Bernie says you have to wait until daytime , then the game just freezes up.
Finished! Silly me , I should've thought of simply pouring the water from the sponge into the beaker in the first place. Interesting that you end up back in your room and stuff after the game is over. Cool!
[close]

Pretty fun game but kinda not knowing
what to do next is a pain...thanks for making this , as much I complain some times , I barely know how to program myself.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

sarah

ok, all the hints are suggesting i need to use the axe on the school door, but im doing that and its telling me talking to it won't do much good - help!!!

Primus

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar)

He-Man

Great game!
The music and the backgrounds are really good!

Dave Gilbert

just downloaded and tried it out.  Very involving!  I didn't have much time to futz with it, but rest assured I will.  Nice work.

Belthazor

Great game! Nice characters and bakgrounds...!

Hollowman

Thanks for all the nice comments. Nice to see some people are still playing the game :)

Dave Gilbert

Hi, just finished it.  A bit confused about the ending though.

Spoiler

At the end of the game, you're back in AJ's room.  Is there anything to do?  Or is this a bug?  Speaking to AJ's mum still gives the response about Mrs. Derby having disappeared.  And going back to the church just crashes the game when I go into the back room.
[close]

Hollowman

I have to admit to being lazy with the ending. Instead of doing a menu, like I should have done, I just decided to go and plunk the player back into the starting room again. I just assumed that players would quit from that point after having the end game text. I think I was just oo impatient to get the game released, and too excited about my first game.

If I ever finish my second game, I promise I'll make more of an effort to polish it off :)

Phemar

---------------------------
Adventure Game Studio
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
problem is caused by the game rather than the interpreter.
(ACI version 2.60.693)

(Global script line 50)
Error: DisplayMessage: Invalid message number to display

OK   

When I spoke to the window (at school). I only spoke to the window becasue when I used Inventory (ticket) on it it said "I'm not going to talk to that," (or something similiar).

UP

sorry for reviving this, but I just found a funny little bug there, though I'm not sure if you knew about it. Anyways, if you go to the school, there's a little part of the shed you can click on. If you use the hand on it, you first jump to a place or two on the current room, the you're teleported literally on shed door B, and can't do anything... So again, if this was useless to post here, sorry 'bout that...

Phemar

There's nothing wrong with reviving topics. The announcement thread is usually a good place to post bugs so you did the right thing :D

GuyLaDouche

So far this is a good game. The music is great. Only problem right now, I can't find ink...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk