DooM - a Very Graphic Adventure (short)

Started by ElectricMonk, Sun 28/03/2004 15:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricMonk

Hi everyone,

I'm new to AGS, and this is my first effort. It's very short and extremely easy and I basically made it in order to teach myself some of the basics of AGS.

Being too lazy to paint a new animation, I ripped some graphics from good ol' DooM. I'm posting this game here because I think some people might get a kick out of seeing the Space Marine run around in familiar surroundings with a completely different interface.

Enjoy this humble effort...
http://www.freewebs.com/provisionalplayers/DoomGraphic.rar

Edit:
Damien, thanks for the image hints. Should be fixed now.
Lazy Z: Please try downloading it again. The server was on the blink yesterday a few times. Maybe it has these brief short-outs regularly, I don't know...

Damien

Heheh, looks fun, downloading now.

Tip:Freewebs don't support hotlinking images, so you need to put:
Code: ags
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/
in front of the pics's adress.
So, for you it would be:
Code: ags
[img]http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.freewebs.com/provisionalplayers/scrshot1.jpg[/img]

But downloading the pics through the anonymizer is a slow and painfull proces, sometimes the image doesn't show, etc., so you might want to check out HERE!

Lazy Z

I actually like this idea a lot! I love Doom. But I can't download the file. :/

(edit) Doh, where are my manners, welcome to the AGS community!
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Kweepa

There was another game like this about 8 months ago - something about a party that the Baron wasn't invited to? I don't remember the details, but it was pretty funny...
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

ElectricMonk

Do you have the link to the other Doom game?

I suspected someone else had probably already done something similar - it's not like the idea is a hugely original one - so I'd love to see someone else's variation on the theme.

Kweepa

All I could find was this link to the game announcement.
The download link seems broken :(
http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=9845
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

ElectricMonk

Actually the link worked for me.
Very very cool game. Obviously someone went to a lot more effort than I did... But then I like my "display the object" bar and my cursors better, so there. :P

Migs

It works if you go to the web site here and download it.  I'm glad you pointed this out, it looks like a funny game.

EDIT: Correction: It's hilarious!  If you haven't played this already, get it!
This signature intentionally left blank.

Wormmaster

Could someone put it on the zip-file?
My RAR-program can't extract those files, and I WANT THIS GAME!!!

ElectricMonk

Turned my game into a ZIP file. It should be available to download at

http://www.freewebs.com/provisionalplayers/DoomGraphic.zip

By all means, please don't expect anything like the pretty awesome "Harry's 21st Birthday" - my game was made in 3 afternoons and is my first try with AGS ever.  
Be gentle with me. :-\

Wormmaster

THIS GAME REALLY ROCKS!!!
I wonder if someone is going to do Duke Nukem adventure game...

Mr_Frisby

This was really fun, nice choice for your first game. I likey your avatar too.
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

ElectricMonk

Thanks. ;D He'll be the main character in my next game.

Moox

yay claymation, i love it, reminds me of those oldschool films.

Peter Thomas

how funkeh! I love the game, and that screenie owns

EDIT: I love the inventory bar, too. It's soo.... clay-like...
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Mr_Frisby

Looks ace. It's good to see someone getting creative with AG Graphics.
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

stuh505

ElectricMonk

Soitanly. ;D
Never got around to playing it much, though. My effort is nowhere near the league of Neverhood, btw... just another very small game.

I recently got a digital camera and thought it might be fun to experiment with a claymation look for an AGS game (also, as you may have noticed from my Doom game, I'm too lazy to draw sprites at the moment...)

wyr3x

I AGREE WITH WORMMASTER !!!!!, THIS GAMES REALLY ROCKS !!!!!!!!! .... I LIKED THE DOOM .... & THE "PLASTILINA" GAME .... ESPECIALLY THE MENU & THE CHARACTER.
AND ... WELCOME TO THE AGS COMUNITY ! ! ! ...
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Tiki

I commented on your grammar/etc after another post of yours,  wyr3x.  Please, follow the rules.

oh, and ElectricMonk is a regular here.  He's post 260- someodd times.  So I doubt a welcome for him is in order.  ;D

Movin' right along...I got a kick outta your idea for a Doom game, Monk,  and that claymation thingie has jumped up very high onto my list of "Games that I really really wanna play!"  Good, job! 

What program did you use to rip the Doom graphics?  I'm sure there are plenty, but I just am too lazy to look for one.   :D

Phemar

You mean...a guy with 5 posts...is telling a guy with 260 posts...welcome to the forums?
Is there something wrong with the picture here?

ElectricMonk...that's from Dirk Gently, right? I'm sure it is...

artphobia

Quote from: ElectricMonk on Sun 04/04/2004 00:56:07
Thanks. ;D He'll be the main character in my next game.

Hello
Well I've never been one for DOOM but, Cthulhu in claymation!!Ã,  I'm all about thatÃ,  8)Ã,  Hope to see that game finished!

Scott Jarvis's Developer Profile
http://www.ambitiousgamer.com

wyr3x

well, sorry TikiTikiMan i was just trying to be freendly ... pherphaps i said something wrong, but the reall thing was that i thought i had to welcome him, because ... i would like to be welcome by others ... snif  :'(.
anyway, i think it`s a very good remake of this "Gold" game, but, very short .
I give you an idea:  you could let the gamer to shoot the wall or some of the other objects in the screen to make it more "real".
thanks TikiTikiMan because of helping (or telling) my errors.
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Barbarian

Hey, I just d-loaded the doom game.. very funny stuff!  hehe   ;D
It made me want to go and play some classic doom for a while afterwards too.

Hey wyr3x, it's nice you want to share your enthusiasm with others. I guess maybe your typing all in CAPS before is the equivlent to someone SHOUTing at you,  and it also tends to be hard on the eyes to read a message that is written all in CAPS, though I think the ocassional word in CAPS to emphasize something is usually okay.
But, regardless, welcome to the wonderful world of AGS, wyr3x, nice to have ya aboard.  ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

iv4n

DoomGraphic is awesome although it's too short.

Final_Sin

FYI you're famous! You've just got a mention in the UK October Edition of PCGamer!

'Okay, so you've got Doom III. Big deal. Our second adventure this month is the first to earn the name 'The Thinking MAn's Shooter' - exchanging cursors and quicksave keys for floating footsteps and an inventory window. Just remember, if you get stuck there are few problems a quick USE SHOTGUN can't cure. Unfortunately this is the first room of the game - put together purely for kicks. But it's still a moment too good to miss.'

Good work!

Cluey

Looks great will d/l, who ever said about a Duke Nukem game, someone has to do that...
Aramore
My webcomic.

Janik

Cool game! It took longer for me to download it than to actually finish it, but still a fun experience. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't shoot the barrel. I love shooting barrels!  :)
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk