TOOL: Dialog editor v3.1e

Started by ca0mgr, Mon 29/03/2004 22:48:45

Previous topic - Next topic

jannar85

Um, sorry if I seem dumb right now.. But how do I open the dialogues into this editor?
I don't really understand this program :P
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

strazer

Hm, you've got a point.
Perhaps a more fitting name would be Dialog Creator since you create dialog scripts for AGS, not directly edit them.

jannar85

Bug report:
Launch AGS, and we are asked to find its location, there's no turning back to the "editor", if we don't want to start ags. :P

Also, in the resource thingy.. It would be kind of nice to have more information about each of the stuff; so we don't need to go back to the Design Document to find it out. :)

** edit2 **
Also, it would be nice to have a picture of the characters or something as well, when we run the dialogue:)
Just another suggestion :)

** edit3 **
Something like this in the inventory;
Where to find it?
Where/How to use it?
Additional info

Then in the characters and so on, you can imagine what do add there :P

or something!

Thanks anyway.

** editx **
Also, in the Characters tab, would it be possible to add script names as well?
Like Peter = Ego, and so on?

also... something similar as this? ---> http://novelcode.com/
Just another... future suggested :P

Hoho :P

Also.. (sorry for the suggestions)
Why can't the dialogue "editor" save the resource thingy as well?
It's a bit irritating, since it's all within the same project :)

Aaand... in the characters tab, it would be nice to have each color pre-defined, and then the dialogue "editor" grabs whatever color used.

Aaaand.... (last thing) Make an option for the "editor", to display the topics as well, before continuing.
Like something like this, that doesn't require a response:

Let me guess...
new topic: You are my father...?!
new topic: You noticed me stealing yesterday?

and so on... let the dialogue run (inside the editor), with commands, like dialogue-off-forever 1, when that one has been run.

** edit xx**
Just realised that the "editor" doesn't work with commands like dialogue-off-forever 1 etc... :(

jannar85

ca0mgr

No, I'll just wait until COM support in AGS. I'll see what I can do then. Otherwise, this version is a great help in doing dialogue for my game, so I won't update it until then.

Thanks for the interest though.

Fjodor

Nothing new?   ;)

AGS supports COM now :)

ca0mgr

I've just about given up with VB. its syntax is horrible. Uch. help files... uch. File reading... ewwww. I've had a go, but given up. Could anyone else write an importer? I'd appreciate any help as, as you might have noticed, I'm crap with VB. Here is the *.dg file format as exported by my Dialogue Editor:

------------------------------------------------
file version (string)
number of topics (byte)
for i=1 to number_of_topics
     topic name (string) [only used with editor]
     'number_of_choices' this topic has (integer)

for j=1 to 'number_of_choices'
          choice name (string)
          choice script (string)
          choice id (integer) [only used with editor]
          choice 'children' (integer) [only used with editor]
          choice visibility (byte)
     next

// done seperately for linking purposes on load
     for j=1 to 'number_of_choices'
            for k=0 to 'children'
                   child id (integer) [only used with editor]
            next    
     next
next
------------------------------------------------

Dusk

Great work with the editor... thanks  :D
Trying it I've noticed a possible-bug.
Let's take as example the multi topic example.dg: if you add a phrase to say in the option 4, before the "goto-dialog 1", it won't be showed in the preview (or probably it is showed, but with no delay).  Nothing of really important, of course - in AGS the dialog will work perfectly - but it should be simple to fix, when you do the next release : )
Bye  ;)

Robert Eric

Are you using VB.Net?  The language is much better in VB.Net than the older Visual Basics.
Ã, Ã, 

MrColossal

Hope we aren't pestering you but i'd love to see this program up and running along side AGS

or integrated into ags
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

ca0mgr

It's not that I don't want to create an importer for AGS, it's just I can't write VB code to do it. If someone could give me a hand, then AGS would be able to import the dg files created with the dialog editor. Anyone? email me on matthew.griffiths AT sunderland.ac.uk if you're any good at VB and we'll talk about getting it sorted.

Gregjazz

This dialog creation tool is awesome. I am using in Apprentice 2, and it is most helpful in the intricate dialog trees.

I don't really care about AGS integration -- it's fine the way it is right now for me.

One thing though: do you think you could implement the option-off-forever dialog function? I use it a LOT, and that way I'd be able to more accurately preview the dialogs.

ca0mgr

Done. You can update with the program or manually download from the usual place: www.3030deathwar.com/editor3.zip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk