Pointless Download

Started by Bryan, Sun 11/04/2004 08:25:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I hesitate to call this a "game", it's actually just one and a half rooms with a seriously lame puzzle.  It is just my first attempt at noodling with AGS.  I hope to do something more serious soon.

my first "game"

Thanks for reading this, and if you actually bothered to download that thing and play it, I apologize in advance.

-Bryan
this space intentionally left blank

ElectricMonk

Tee hee.  "I mean... Wow, they're just the windows." I really liked the interplay between character and narrator in this one.

Good first effort, you definitely have great potential.
As long as you're trying out stuff: When the drawers are open, the player can move around behind them. Try experimenting with the baseline of objects (see manual) so the character will appear in front of them.

Bryan

I had a lot of trouble with the baseline for those drawers.  It took me a while to get them to display properly.  It kept happening that one of the lower drawers would be drawn on top one of the upper drawers.  The manual really only described baselines in terms of the EGO (unless I missed something).  

Anyway, the baselines I ended up with made it display correctly (since you can open/close each of the three drawers independantly and they all overlap)....

I didn't even think about the EGO walking through that space with the drawers open though, and I see the problem you mention.  I'll play with it some.  Thanks for the tip.

earlwood

lol,..I loved the walking animation, smooth as silk..but I couldn't find the puzzle...getting in key right?

Good game, though it took me longer then I would have hoped.

rtf

Hahah!  Funny Dialog.

Call me a loser, but:

Spoiler

I have the key and the nail.  NOw what?
[close]
I fail at art.

Kinoko

I hope earlwood was being sarcastic about the walking animation because it doesn't exist in my version of the game :P

Wonderful though! For such a small and insignificant test game... I was enthralled. Really! It's hilarious, and the background music is beautiful. The interaction with the narrator is great - if you make this game properly or another game, use that.

Honestly, for such a short game... I was impressed.

Bryan

EDIT: oops, I guess quoting [ hide ] is a bad idea....

Hmm... I think I made a order of operations slip such that you might not always see an important hint.

Spoiler
I think the hint you missed only happens if you try to leave before you've twisted the dead bolt.
[close]

And it makes no sense if you don't read that... so, I learned a lesson about assuming what order people might try things in.   If you'd already seen that... sorry, I didn't claim it was a logical puzzle...
Spoiler
You know why EGO doesn't want to go outside... the rug contains a hint that will solve his anxieties.
[close]

And as for that other inventory item:
Spoiler
it's useless.
[close]

Kweepa

Very neatly done for such a small game...

I did get a bit lost though
- I'm pretty sure I tried to pick up flowers many times with no success.
- I picked up the nail and then I got a hint about there being something sharp on the ground.

Looking forward to a full size game from you!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk