Networking Video Game

Started by sbennett, Tue 13/04/2004 17:16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

sbennett

I created this game about a year ago for my class.  I would not rank it very well in the fun department, but in relation to the powerpoint that I used to use it is ok.

http://www.capitalcenterhighschool.org/pqt/

SSH

Flopping egg, they teach the OSI model in high school these days? I learned that in University... but then they didn't have Computer Studies at all when I was at school.

And now I'm working on a PCI Express Transport Layer ...

Kweepa

I suppose I should know what the OSI model is. ???
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

sbennett

Yup, students are coming out of high school with a ccna if they go through the cisco academy and pass the test (key emphasis on pass the test).  The concepts make it easier to break the process of networking into smaller, more learnable bits (layers).

Quote from: SSH on Tue 13/04/2004 17:37:26
Flopping egg, they teach the OSI model in high school these days? I learned that in University... but then they didn't have Computer Studies at all when I was at school.

And now I'm working on a PCI Express Transport Layer ...

sbennett

hence there is now a game that teaches it :) kind of...

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 13/04/2004 17:42:24
I suppose I should know what the OSI model is. ???

AGA

I learned about the OSI model in the vaguest terms in 'high school', but it's not until now (university) that I'm learning any details.

SSH

Although, considering that I went to Uni at 16 and graduated at 20, I maybe learned about it younger than AGA or sbennett anyways  :P

[rhetorical moan]Tell me: why does PCI express L1 mode have a Transaction layer NAK but a DataLink layer ACK? Is that messed up or what?[/rhetorical moan]

Snake

QuoteYup, students are coming out of high school with a ccna if they go through the cisco academy and pass the test...
Heh. I had a hard enough time understanding algebra.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Bryan

Neat.  A little tedious though :)

I was expecting there to be some sort of puzzle for the poor packet to solve involving trying to get up and down the TCP/IP stack given only the OSI reference model.  "Oh my!  Where'd half the layers go?!"
this space intentionally left blank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk