Scythe Island - Get your pirate on!

Started by fransaskois, Thu 22/04/2004 08:08:50

Previous topic - Next topic

fransaskois

What's that you say, Scythe Island, Fransaskois/Simon's piratey AGS adventure game has finally been released?

Yes, I say, Yes it has!  

Look! It has a church in it!  And a moon!  How many games can claim that?

Oh my, an island named Scythe Island that looks like a Scythe?  That's hilarious!  What will they think of next?

That's right, ladies and gents.  Come one, come all, for many more marvels await!

Download the game here, now!  Quickly!

Thank you for your time!  This game will be thirty minutes you won't regret.... if it takes longer than that... it'll be the best hour of your life! 2 hours? Even more fun for you!  It takes you more than 2 hours to finish?  Hm.... congrats on finding what side of the keyboard faces up.

I kid,  i kid.

Download and enjoy.  Feedback encouraged.

-Simon P
"My computer is narcoleptic."

Farsight

Hey fransaskois,
Did you fix the umm *cough*cough*smallbug*cough*cough*
Guess who's back??

fransaskois

Hehe, hi Farsight/

It sure is cleaned up... didn't I send you an email?  No matter.  Thanks for your beta testing skills.
"My computer is narcoleptic."

Farsight

Thats ok. I can't wait to get some replies from others. :P
Guess who's back??

ElectricMonk

*applauds*

Very very good. Borrowed elements, sure, but it feels much more like a homage than a rip-off. I loved the crappy pirate jokes ("rated arrrr", heh). Nice puzzles, too.
And I like the simple art style a lot, it suits the cartoony characters. Good choice of music. Great writing ("It's Japanese"). More please!

That said, a few minor niggles and errors:
- The sideways walk cycle looks wrong. I'm sure the animation experts can tell you more about that than me.
- At the very end, your icon says "resart" instead of "restart".
- When you look at the package, it says it's for Jack Tar. It should be for John Waters.

Other than that, wow. I'd very much like to see a sequel.

Mats Berglinn

Oh, this will be great. I'm downloading it right now and I'm gonna play it as soon as I get my new graphic-card so the games can work.

I'll reply as soon as I have begun played it.

nope!

I enjoyed the game especially the characters/speeches.

The music is great and graphics not bad at all...

Now, I will get rude: the game doesn't have a graphic identity/style: the GUI icons style doesn't fit with the character (and background) design.

I also had an odd feeling when I was in the bar: the 2 characters are too different (size, design, details).

Another thing: If you want help for the french translation, I'm in (I'm a pure frenchie...it explains my poor english)

InCreator

Great sound!

Three things only you could fix to have this perfect:

a) Speech text is with very dark colours. Why not use very bright ones instead to separate them from already dark bg-s and black outline?

b) Sideways walkcycle - not very good  :-\

c) the bug! I walked into puddle at the front of bar and tried to use door. Game resulted a bug which stuck me into puddle, unable to get walk cursor back or do anything!

Milo

Hey fransaskois, great game.
I love the style of your art and the humour in the dialog is great too. As was mentioned before, the only problem is that main charater kind of looks funny when he's walking sideways.
Otherwise, I thoroughly enjoyed it. "Isle be darned!"

DanClarke

I liked this one, the humour was great! Just a little thing, when you walk into the alleyway, the direction of the shot is a little confusing, as you enter it north but appear on the next screen coming from the north, just made me lose my bearings a little, other than that it's all cool!

Baron

Oooo.
This game looks really fun, but the Sens logo really puts me off.  Is there any chance you could replace it with an undeservedly more successful one?

aussie

Really funny. I laughed out loud at the "it's Japanese joke", and at the "do you read books" one.

I hope there's a sequel, you certainly left it open...
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Lol.. I haven't finished beta testing it yet :P I sent u an email yesterday.. ah well.. there weren't that many probs anyway.. except his arms move when he walks sideways and not forward.. this is not physically possible!

SteveMcCrea in Austin

I liked this game!
Good atmosphere, great animation (and a decent amount of it), beautiful character design, nice music.
Thanks!

A couple of things though:
Spoiler

It was way too easy. There weren't really any puzzles to speak of, which is disappointing for me.
The main character had no motivation, particularly at the end where he could just walk away from Jack. Something simple like Jack trapping him and saying "Arrr, I be taking ye for me awfully wedded bride - once I do whatever the hell I came to this crypt to do" might have helped.
[close]

I look forward to a longer sequel!

Kinoko

I was really happy when I found out this game had finally been released (you're waiting for a "but", right?).

It's a really neat game. Nice graphics style, nice MI references, great humour. Of course it was WAY too short but I know what it's like when you just have a cool little idea you want to get out without spending years on it. Definitely go for a sequel where you can take the game further.

I also noticed the problem of the package being for Jack Tan but it's been mentioned already. I think the choice of music was great and was used really well... buuuut, I'm picky. I guess I prefer to hear the game maker's own music. Have a go next time! ^_^

Overall, really cool and very nostalgic.

Queen Kara

"Of course it was WAY too short but I know what it's like when you just have a cool little idea you want to get out without spending years on it. Definitely go for a sequel where you can take the game further." I totally agree.
Thanks for making this and I hope someday there'll be a sequel.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Pet Terry

Nice digital conversions of music, my favourite is the title screen tune. Looks pretty nice so far, gotta play more.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Sam.

sounds great, u got alot of praise.  downloading now
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

hamish20

I get this message up when i clicked on your link

Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.
This practice of 'remote linking' reduces
our ability to serve out the homepages
of our members quickly and efficiently.

What should i do?

It's ok it works now!!!

Farsight

I have the same problem. You have to go to the parent directory (the one before the scytheisland.zip) and then go to the zip.
Guess who's back??

sunshinegold

Quote from: hamish20 on Thu 06/05/2004 19:18:51
I get this message up when i clicked on your link

Angelfire does not allow direct linking
from offsite, non-Angelfire pages,
to files hosted on Angelfire.
This practice of 'remote linking' reduces
our ability to serve out the homepages
of our members quickly and efficiently.

What should i do?

It's ok it works now!!!

Could you please tell me how you managed to get the game?  I cannot find it . I get Angelfire site but cannot see the game ???

Farsight

Just click on this url
http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/prefontaine/main.htm
Go to the bottom of the page and click the download link. ;D
Guess who's back??

PhoneBooth

Go here:

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon2/prefontaine/main.htm

and click the 'Download Scythe Island' link near the bottom of the page. Alternatively, right clicking the link in the first post and using 'Save Target As...' should work.

Farsight

Guess who's back??

Ashen

Look at the timing, Farsight, you prob'ly posted as s/he was typing. Though you're a bit more polite. :P
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Farsight

Oh...ah sorry :-[ Ahem well done yeah, well done. :-[
Guess who's back??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk