No-Action Jackson

Started by cerebrit, Fri 07/05/2004 05:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

cerebrit

I recently finished a project I've been working on.. I would consider it a beta version but it's complete and playable as is.

A website with screenshots and the link is up here...

http://66.96.236.220/noaction/

The download is about 6 megs, TYIA to anyone checking it out.

Cerebrit

Edit:  I have a mirror available now at http://www.talesofinterest.com/no-action/

Das Plans

Hi there!

Just downloaded your game. I only played it for a couple of minutes, but I have to say... WHOA! The looks of this game are fantastic, great, unbelievably funny... From what I saw, the same goes for the animations. I'm overwhelmed with joy.  :D

Pet Terry

Indeed it looks really nice, downloading now... and title is awesome!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Dart

Whoa... the graphics and animation are fantastic; I really like your drawing style. As with Stein, I've only played it for a couple of minutes I already love it. The puzzles are neither simple nor hard, which is what I like most. It definitely shows that you put a lot of effort and time into No Action Jackson.

I'll finish playing this later since I must get going to school.

Awesome job!

Pstonie_work

I'm gonna download this one when I get home. Great site. I love that Bernard-esque character there.

TheDude

Spoiler
"That's 1d4 points of damage at best"
Blue cup monument!!!
[close]

Ha ha, this is an excellent game.

ElectricMonk

Wow! Very very cool. The graphics are excellent, very professional and DOTT-esque. The sound is very well done too, especially the way things get louder when closer and quieter when further away. Also, as a role player, I love the geeky references.

A few bugs I noticed:
Spoiler

- When Jackson moves while talking, his speech moves as well.
- When looking at the War Room sign in the game shop, the status line says "plug in cable" or something.
- I've completed the first mission (getting out of the house) and am now working toward finding my friends. I've just walked into the construction site room when the game crashed with this message: "(Room 13 script line 102) Error: ReleaseCahracterView: invalid character supplied." And yes, it did say CahracterView, not CharacterView.
[close]

TheDude

What's the tag for a spoiler?

ElectricMonk

Click on the "Help" link on top of every forum page, because I'm not sure if this will come out right...
It's [*hide] and [/*hide] without the *s.

TheDude

Scummbuddy

I was wondering where this game went. the vacuum-scene was shown a real long time ago in the critics lounge. I was so excited to play it then. I'll check this out later tonight.

I know other professional games where the speech above the head moves with the character
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Pstonie

Played up until the grandpa scene, but I could tell it was great within the first five minutes. Great, great game.
"The reports of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated." -Picard, First Contact

Ashen

Really nice game, but I found a bug or two.

Spoiler
In the kitchen, if I try to pick up the cutting board, it crashes and says script error at line 1104, AnimateCharacter: invalid loop.

In the laundry room, if I try to pick up the clothes, I get the same invalid character error as EM.

Also, in the Games Shop, if I try to use the cable wire on the glass case at the bottom of the screen - not the main counter one - it says 'That doesn't need any deep cleansing action'.

Oh, and the warning.txt file contains a bunch of stuff - mostly to do with trying to change the character view without having called ReleaseCharacterView first.
[close]

Looks like a lot, but only a couple are really important, and you did say this was more of a beta than a finished product anyway.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Kweepa

Really enjoying it - I'm a bit stuck but I can tell it's going to be a logical puzzle.
Superb DOTT style graphics!
I'd say it's up there with Apprentice for graphics.
Lots of great incidental animation, dialog, and cutscenes.
And it seems to be quite a long game too (several hours).

Thanks, Cerebrit!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Chicky

The screens look absolutly amazing, ohh 90%. I'll post a proper comment when ive played, ohh 100%  ;D

InCreator

Supergood. Found a little bug though:
Spoiler
When trying to pick up walkie-talkie, worker's sprite changes to a blue cup for a moment
[close]

Pstonie

Thought you might like to know of a mention of your game here (alternate).
"The reports of my assimilation have been greatly exaggerated." -Picard, First Contact

Nostradamus

Looking good but I need help!

Spoiler
I got the dice, the comforter and Dexcalibur. Can't do anything now. I figure I need to get Knuckles out of the cage so I opened the door but he doesn't let me touch him. What do I do next?
[close]

simian

To Nostradamus:
Spoiler
You can also find a sheet and a facial cleanser pad. Look at the next bit if you can't find them.
[close]
Spoiler
Sheets on your bed, cleanser pads behind the mirror in the bathroom.
[close]

I need abit of help too:
Spoiler
How do you get the kichen door to stay open so Rufus will go in?
[close]

nickeedoo

This has to be THE best looking game I've played that was created with AGS. It's just those LucasArts style graphics. Just... so... comforting. The puzzles are also fantastic. The whole game. Fantastic. WOW.

Anyways, I've found a bug:

Spoiler
In the Gameshop, if you use the TV or Cable Wire with the hanger, the bedroom window appears. It doesn't appear to do any harm, but looks kinda funny!
[close]

I'm stuck too. I need some help please if anyone has a moment:

Spoiler
I've given Grandpa the cane and got his pocket knife. I've given Grandma the coffee. I've got Thurston out of the shower and got his robe. How doÃ,  I get Mom out of the lounge - I assume I need to make a mess upstairs - but I don't know how.
[close]

maggie

To get mum out of lounge
Spoiler
push sunflower in bedroom, pick up seeds and give to knuckles. go down and talk to mum
Spoiler

Can you tell me how to get thurston out of shower. I've switched on washing machine but he doesn't come out.
[close]
[close]

nickeedoo

Thanks Maggie. You're a star!

Here's your solution:

Spoiler
Turn on the dishwasher in the kitchen
[close]

simian

Spoiler
Could you give me a hint on how to get the coffee please?
[close]

nickeedoo

Sure thing:

Spoiler
You need to slip something in the Pedestrian drink that doesn't agree with him. Talk to him to find out exactly what.
[close]

If anyone has any hints as to how I can keep the kitchen door open, I'd be most grateful. Or how to open the vent outside the Dojo. OR how to get the TV working in the Gameshop. I don't need much help.

simian

Thank you, but:
Spoiler
Could you give me a hint on how to get the health food stuff?
[close]

The TV:
Spoiler
You need to use the hanger as an arial to get the TV working (detailed explanation below).
[close]
Spoiler
Use the cable wire with the TV out socket, use the hanger with the signal in socket then use the TV wire with the TV out socket.
[close]

nickeedoo

Thanks for the hint!

Here's yours:

Spoiler
You've looked in the tumble dryer, right?
[close]

If that's still no good, then:

Spoiler
You can buy something with that quarter. But it's not IN the Gameshop
[close]

If that's no good, then:

Spoiler
Use the quarter on the coin slot one the newspaper dispenser thing outside the Gameshop/Contruction worker place. The newspaper will help you.
[close]

nickeedoo

Another bug:

Spoiler
After you've got Thurston out of the shower and you pick up all the items he leaves, you can go back down to the kitchen and use the turn the dishwasher off, then on again repeating the scene where he gets out of the shower. If you go back into the shower the sponge is there again - but if you pick it up you don't get two of them.
[close]

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO stuck:

Spoiler
No clue what to do with the construction worker. No clue what to do with the CD player or CD-R I get if I open it. No clue how to keep the door open. No clue how to open the vent outside the Dojo. No clue how to get a membership for the fitness club
[close]

I'm rubbish.

Remco

i'm about as far as nickeedoo and i am stuck to. Really don't have a clue, someone please give a clue :S.
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

Kweepa

Well, this was a FANTASTIC game!
Certainly the best so far this year.
Probably my favourite AGS game...
nickeedoo, you hit it spot on when you said the graphics are comforting.

So, your hints:
CD player...
Spoiler

Open it again.
[close]
Vent outside Dojo:
Spoiler

Use sponge on grandma's cooking pot.
[close]
You should be good to go from there!

Again, thanks for the great game, Cerebrit. Great hints in the incidental dialog, great sound effects, etc. There's just a bunch of little bugs, mostly to do with the default responses.

Ashen

About Thurston:
Spoiler
How do you get hm out of the shower? I've turned on the dishwasher, but he only says running out of hot water. Is there anything else I need to have done?
[close]

Scummbuddy

alright, alright, move the "IM STUCK" questions to the hints and tip forum.

Bug reports stay here, and your love for the game as well.

I finally downloaded the game. Holy crap. What a game. I love how everything has a comment. not I can't do that. I love what you chose to say about all the things, like the plunger "always on duty" and the cleaning pads, "I can really get down and fight with these" (okay, not verbatim) but still, wow, and the extra things your grandpa says when you almost go downstairs. The only thing I can say that bothered me, was the way you added to the characters talking views, by taking half their face and moving it, sometimes. But I got used to it, and really, just wow....
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Nostradamus

more help:
Spoiler
Well I got the cleansing pads and sheets (also have the dice, comforter and Dexcalibur) but still can't advance in the game. I still can't do anything to get Knuckles out of the cage. What do I do next?
[close]

nickeedoo

Spoiler
You can't go downstairs, so the only way out is through a window. You'll need to find a window you can open, but the obvious choice is stuck shut because it's so DIRTY. You'll need something to climb out the window with too.
[close]

I'm stuck. It's midnight now and I've obviously not thought of what to do.
Spoiler
Grandma won't let me in the kitchen, I've opened the vent but I can't stick anything in the vent. I've got some batteries. Oh, I'm going to bed. Grrrr
[close]

Scummbuddy

I would like to see a page of yours with all of your completed backgrounds, maybe some tutorials on how to make several of them, and of course, whats next for you. Sounds like an eZine article waiting to happen.
also some characters design with tutorials.  ;D
-Hoagie from DOTT

Kweepa

All I need to hear is that you're working on a new game!
I don't think tutorials are going to help us much - it seems to me your artwork is the result of skill, not technique. I hate you ;D

nickeedoo,
Trip over to the thread in Hints and Tips for help in your situation.

Ashen

Got another bit of a bug....
If I leave the 25 hour gym in the middle of the training session, the floating upper body of the fitness professional follows me around, even on the map screen. He's clickable as well.
NOTE: this only happens the first time, but not if I go back and leave again.

jb2815

This game is great! I've just finished it, some of those puzzles were quite challenging too. Maybe for the final release you could add a credit sequence instead of it just quitting straight away. Good work.

LucasFan

This is the best thing I have played since Maniac Mansion 2!

skulls

I love the graphic style !  :D
Un francais parmis la comunauté AGS

Remco

argh, i'm stuck again and i am getting desperate. damn game.
Spoiler
I have that cutting bord, that cooler and that bottle with ketchup. I don't know what to do know, it seems like i have to get some distraction in that dojo but i don't know how. Please someone help me  :-\
[close]

nickeedoo

This isn't really a bug, more of an oversight probably:

Spoiler
After Thurston has given you the hearing aid, if you talk to him again you can still ask him why he doesn't just give you the hearing aid.
[close]

Right, I'm off to play it again, I think I've just worked something out! I love this game.

nickeedoo

Hurrah! Just finished it! Congrats Cerebrit on what I consider to be the best game made with AGS ever. Simply astonishing.

simian

Need a bit more help:
Spoiler
I've burst the ball in the gym but I don't know what to do next. I'm guessing you have to do something with the bench press?
[close]

DanClarke

I havent played a lot of this but it's the most solid, best looking AGS game i've played so far. Fantastic :)

nickeedoo

Simian:

Spoiler
You're right. The fitness instructor seems to find the bench press incredibly easy. Perhaps you could make it SEEM a little heavier without using weights.
[close]

simian

Thanks but I'm still stuck:
Spoiler
Do I need to use the glue gun on the bench press? I don't know how to get into the constuction bit to get it. Also, how do I make a distraction in the dojo?
[close]

Remco

Quote from: Remco Bogaard on Sun 09/05/2004 11:01:38
argh, i'm stuck again and i am getting desperate. damn game.
Spoiler
I have that cutting bord, that cooler and that bottle with ketchup. I don't know what to do know, it seems like i have to get some distraction in that dojo but i don't know how. Please someone help me  :-\
[close]
please someone, help me with this.

Minimi

First of all very good game! It is one of the best games I've ever played, so far.

The Game crashed! Help me! When I talked to grandma and said goodbye, the game crashed with this error :

(Global Script line 2249)
Error : AnimateCharacter : Invalid loop number specified

I hope you can fix this, because i'd love to finish this game!

nickeedoo

Simian:

Spoiler
Good thinking. The construction worker isn't always looking at what he's doing, he could have an accident and he wouldn't even notice. Why not make him believe he's had an accident?
[close]

nickeedoo

Remco:

Spoiler
You've gotten Thurston out the shower right? Perhaps he's left something in the shower that could get you in on the lesson?
[close]

Remco

yes, i have that white coat, but then he says that i am to late, and i need to get distraction or something. And about the glue pistol, i have that worker away, but when i want to take that pistol, that walkie talkie is shouting. this game is making me crazy.

Ashen

Whoo hoo! Finished! At least, I think I did. Was there a Game Over screen or something?
Great game, not too easy, not too hard (mostly), looks great. Did I mention I liked it?

Remco:
Spoiler
You need to get the walkie talkie out of the way. Or at least, off the wheelbarrow....
[close]

Remco

could you be a little more clear? i don't get a thing of this :S.

Ashen

At the construction site:
Spoiler
Pick up the walkie talkie (you may have to try this twice before it let's you, don't quite remember). Then pick up the Glue Gun.
[close]
Then, at the dojo:
Spoiler
Use the walkie talkie on the open air vent. When the instructor comes out, sneak in and put on the robe.
[close]

Remco

finally, i solved it. Great game, only a bit to difficult (for me).

Do0kie

Hold it, hold it. :)
Spoiler
I can't find a buck to buy a haute dog in order to get the ketchup.
[close]

I like the game a lot, but although I'd say I have quite some experience with adventure games I find it to be not exactly one of the easiest I've played. The main problem would be that the dialogs have almost no role in this game and give only very little info.

Ashen

Do0kie:
Spoiler
You get the dollar from the Grandad, after you've found hi cane, his hearing aid, and the missing brownie ingredient for Grandma.
[close]

The one problem I saw, if I'm being critical, is
Spoiler
The coffee drink/brownie ingredient is a little obscure. I might've missed something, but it was only a guess that that's what you needed. Maybe if the pedestrian had said something about getting the last ones in the shop, and just beating some old lady to them, it'd made a little more sense.
[close]

Do0kie

Finished it! One of the best AGS games so far. I'll add it to my favourites next to 5 Days a Stranger. ;D

simian

Still need more help:
Spoiler
I take it I need to use the ketchup on the builder? And I need to buy a hotdog to get it? How do I get grandma to finish making her cookies? Do I need to get Rufus to go into the kitchen? How can I keep the door open?
[close]

EDIT: Its alright I've finished it now. Great game.

InCreator

Completed it too!
Hm. How it happens for you to use only bright colors? Have you studied art/color composition somewhere or what? I looks so good.
Really, Tutorial would be nice. And a sequel.

nickeedoo

Speech for this game would make it perfect.

Kweepa

Quote from: Ashen on Sun 09/05/2004 21:32:39
The one problem I saw, if I'm being critical, is
Spoiler
The coffee drink/brownie ingredient is a little obscure. I might've missed something, but it was only a guess that that's what you needed. Maybe if the pedestrian had said something about getting the last ones in the shop, and just beating some old lady to them, it'd made a little more sense.
[close]

Spoiler

I seem to remember that he did say they were the last ones in the shop, and grandma did say the shop was out of her secret ingredient.
But yeah, if you miss those hints first time around I'm not sure you get them again...
[close]

TheHotTrout

(Note I haven't added spoiler highlights to this post, however nothing below cannot be immediately accessed once you've escaped from upstairs)
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, the style, the humour, all pitched round about perfectly. The puzzles where good for the most part and completely logical, however a couple of clues wouldn't have gone amiss. I think I spent the most time trying to break the air conditioner outside the dojo so that sounds wouldn't be drowned out by the noise of the fan, maybe add a comment about how jackson thinks he can hear a voice perhaps? another area of much forehead slapping was turning on the dishwasher, everytime I'd press the button, the screen would go away and he'd proceed to tell me that it wasn't on, ARGH!, till i eventually spotted that there was a handle (??) poking out the bottom, oooh that was nasty make the screen not disappear till the player has turned it on so they know that theres something to do there. I didn't have problems elsewhere (except maybe for a little run around when it looked like you couldn't pickup the walkie-talkie after 'dispatching' the worker, but luckily i tried again) but if people are missing clues then you need a way so that jackson can hear\give the clue again, possibly in a slightly different format (however take this last point lightly as missing clues has as much to do with player's ability as it does game design)

Right there you go, all in all an excellent game, if you make a another that's like this that's maybe a touch longer I'd certainly consider selling it however of course free is always welcome! ;D (regardless I hope there's more to come!)

foz

Finished this great game......

Shame about all the bugs.....lots of crashes due to unexpected actions...

such as when grandma`s chopping if you pick up chopping board game crashes..

Apart from this and abrupt ending ...this has to be the best game we`ve seen here...

Attention to the small details is excellent......

It`ll be hard to beat....

How long did it take to make?

MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE...

cerebrit

:D Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I'm glad there weren't TOO many bugs.. (I'll try to fix those crashes in a newer version, perhaps with a German translation.)

but I'm super thrilled with the response here, it's very satisfying to finally have it available for everyone to click through.

I'm trying to take a break from computer-drone status for a while, but I'm anxious to build on what I've learned from this project and get started on some new ideas I have!

Cerebrit

Peder 🚀

This game look really nice!!!! iam gonna play it now :D  :P

aicram

Quote from: Ashen on Sat 08/05/2004 20:26:04
About Thurston:
Spoiler
How do you get hm out of the shower? I've turned on the dishwasher, but he only says running out of hot water. Is there anything else I need to have done?
[close]
Ashen,
How did you get Thurston out of the shower?  I've turned dryer & washing machine one - he says, "running out of hot water" but he's still in there.  Help!

Ashen

aicram:
Spoiler
Are the dishwasher and the washing machine set to hot, and is the washing machine set to large load (click the little slider button to change it)? That should get him out.
[close]

aicram

Quote from: Ashen on Tue 11/05/2004 20:45:06
aicram:
Spoiler
Are the dishwasher and the washing machine set to hot, and is the washing machine set to large load (click the little slider button to change it)? That should get him out.
[close]

Thanks Ashen, I'll try that.

Nacho

I am playing it... it's amazing... sorry not to contribute more, I hope this works at least as an encouragement...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

evilspacefart

Good gravy! This game is amazing. DOTT style. Attention to detail, the anims and changes in facial expressions. crap my pants. I'm jealous.  :P

m0ds

Game looks great, haven't played it yet but hope to soon!

I look forward to the sequel, No-Action Samuel L Jackson.

Floco-Zeppelin

guess i found a bug
Spoiler

i played the game once without finishing it, but then i started all over again and when i bought the newspaper form the vending machine, it does not have the healthy food coupon!! i restarted the game and it still does not have it, now im stuck, and cant get another quarter!
[close]

sunshinegold

Quote from: cerebrit on Fri 07/05/2004 05:24:35
I recently finished a project I've been working on.. I would consider it a beta version but it's complete and playable as is.

A website with screenshots and the link is up here...

http://66.96.236.220/noaction/

The download is about 6 megs, TYIA to anyone checking it out.

Cerebrit

Love your game.Ã,  Some puzzles are a little hard (like the dishwasher, I am still working on it).Ã,  Is there a bug here because I cannot get it going. I just get the 'it's not on' message.  Does grandma have to be out of the kitchen or something?

Very nice graphics and very enjoyable.Ã, 

Just wished that we didn't have to go through the whole introduction when we go back to a 'loaded' game.

Hope you make a new game soon and as someone else has already mentioned, make it longer if possible.Ã,  A game is always too short when it is good. ;)

Oliver

WHOA! The game is awsome. Atleast what I see in the screen shots is awsome.
My internet connection is too slow to download it thought...6 MB with a 56 kb modem. Not gonna happen. Im too lazy to wait:P

Keep it up, dude!

You got it!

Coming Soon!

sunshinegold

Quote from: cerebrit on Tue 11/05/2004 01:05:35
:D Thanks for the feedback everyone!Ã,  I'm glad there weren't TOO many bugs.. (I'll try to fix those crashes in a newer version, perhaps with a German translation.)

but I'm super thrilled with the response here, it's very satisfying to finally have it available for everyone to click through.

I'm trying to take a break from computer-drone status for a while, but I'm anxious to build on what I've learned from this project and get started on some new ideas I have!

Cerebrit

Please don't take a too long break. :(  Your game even if there were bugs, and although it was sometimes frustrating, was GREAT.

Are you sure you don't have another game hidden in your back pocket ??? ;)

Next one try to make it so that we can go back to a 'load' game faster (without going through all the intro/talking) ;)

GOOD JOB. GREAT GAME.  Looking for next one. :)

Primus

Cerebrit:

I can't do anything else as agreeing with all people here telling your game was simply brilliant. If someone doesn't agree, well, that green little that makes us green... ya knowÃ,  ;)

Where did you find so many too glueing and stucking puzzles? Cerebrit, you made me use too many times my whip to catch again my escaping brains, they went on strike too many times, they asked for alotta breaks, and so on: Well, even Day of the Tentacle didn't seem so challenging!
Had to ask for help, hints, tips, tooooo many times, too!Ã,  :-[

Even the game bugs where really funny, never annoying ones - except once, I don't remember where, the game crashed... Oh, it's ok, I had saved it already. Please, on the final version, place alotta saving slots, ok? They WILL
be needed!

Go on, go on, make more Oscar... sorry, AGS award winners soon, ok?! I'm sure everybody will be glad to have more games which fry and cudgel one's brains again and again!Ã,  ;D
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar)

Snake

Hey, you've done a kick-ass job on this game  8)

//snake thinks it slaps the cats ass

I only had time to play for a few minutes this morning (downloaded last night) and I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow night!

I'll get back to ya,

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Czar

OMG, it is unbelievable how good games go forgotten in these forums (i mean, it fastly goes on the second page, on which is hardly seen).

I had to read in the Inventory about this game.
First I could believe it was from here because ithough, i must have heard about it if it was from there.
Something must be done with this problem, like a top ten chart of games released this week/month. :)

Anyway, I really like the graphics and as i hear, it is teh funny, so i'll be DLing it now.

Live long and stuff.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Happyhelmet

Well I finally completed this wonderful game. Very unique and I hope very well that you will release a speech pack and if not, at least another game as good as this one.

For all of you guys that are stuck on this game, I have created a walkthrough file which can be found below. Thanks again Cerebrit!!

No-Action Jackson Walkthrough
*<@: ) ("Clown Hat, Curly Hair, Smiley-Face" - Cartman, South Park)

Azure

Wonderful stuff! I'm already stuck by brain hurts, and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Ahhh nostalga!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

EKM

This game really is awesome haha....
man...it's been a while since I've played something as fun, witty and cool as that.
Some of the reactions of the characters in that game are real funny, gramps is hysterical.

I like how you made it so that we never get to see Thurston.

Nice plot too...the whole, trying to get Anderson and Morry to the War Room is nice and he's telling this story of how he got there and how he brought them there too, nice work.

kristofski

I found a bug, don't know if it's already been spotted. I've already given brotehr the brownies and got the hearing aid, but when I talk to him the conversation is like it never happened.
wow, a blue car!

www.bluecanary.deviantart.com

Yvonne

Brilliant game!
Puzzles, story, characters, sense of humour, graphics - everything is really awesome!
Congratulations!

Esseb

The game is quite excellent Cerebrit. I haven't come very far yet but what I've played has been of a very professional quality.

I took the liberty to announce it over at Adventure Gamers. Hope you don't mind.

The exact thread is here:
http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?p=59494

Joe999

Any chance of putting together something for the Linux users?

Scid

The people from slashdot are reading this thread. I think the forum may die soon :(

Check it out at the games section back at www.slashdot.org
Those who can, do, and those who can't brag about how they do it at least fifty times a day somewhere on the internet.

scotch

It's only on the games section, I'm sure we can handle it.
I'm off to play the game now.  Hi /. readers, yes it can run on linux :P

Barbarian

Quote from: Joe999 on Tue 08/06/2004 06:54:27
Any chance of putting together something for the Linux users?

Hi Joe. From what I understand you can run AGS games on Linux.

Here's a text-quote and link from the AGS downloads page (under other downloads):

"Linux port of the AGS game engine. This allows you to run all AGS games created with v2.5 and later.
Maintained by Shawn Walker. "  http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Gilbert

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 08/06/2004 09:05:33
Well, not if the game used plugins, I don't know whether this game used plugins or not though.

Joe999

Quote from: Barbarian on Tue 08/06/2004 09:05:33

Here's a text-quote and link from the AGS downloads page (under other downloads):

"Linux port of the AGS game engine. This allows you to run all AGS games created with v2.5 and later.
Maintained by Shawn Walker. "Ã,  http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

Thanks for the link, if nothing else I feel like I'm at least making some progress in getting there. I'm on a QUEST! I'm on a debian unstable install, and surprisingly it seems that its version of allegro is a little behind the times. I took the lazy route and used alien to convert the redhat rpm to a deb, and it seems to have installed fine. After that the AGS configuration utility ran like a charm, and the actual AGS binary seems to run fine as well. But then I'm getting "Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted.". Anyone have an idea if I should be renaming no-action's current.exe? On the off chance that being in a case sensitive enviroment was the problem I tried renaming it to Current.exe with no luck, and while I was at it I tried without the extension as well. No luck with either though. Then while trying crazy renamings I took a chance with current.dat, no luck there either. I wish the error messages were a bit more verbose in their complaints.

The windows binary almost ran with wine, but the mouse was nearly unusable. The taste from the intro was enough to fuel me on though. I'm going to set the cvs version of winex compiling while I'm at school to see if it might work a bit better than the vanilla wine.

three27

Would anybody happen to have a mirror?

cerebrit

I have a mirror available now at http://www.talesofinterest.com/no-action/

Would a DOS executable work better on Linux?  :-[

Cerebrit

AGA

The reason the old link has gone down is because it was linked in the games section of Slashdot.

Joe999

Quote from: cerebrit on Tue 08/06/2004 20:33:41

Good question. :)  I was hoping at least some people from the thread over at
http://games.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=110353&cid=9363112
might have followed me over here. I feel bad placing myself as the linux guy when this is my first experience with ags. :)

Someone mentioned a raw dat file, but I don't know if there might be some issues with releasing something like that. Or even if it'd help for that matter. A dos executable might very well do the trick. One of the posters on the slashdot thread seemd to think there should be no problems with the linux ags reading from a non linux game executable - so that might in fact do the trick if there was something about the windows executable the linux ags was choking on. At the least though, it'd open up one more possibility - dos emulation in linux. While of course native is always better than trying emulation, I suspect ags might not be overly processor intensive to the point where it could possibly run smoothly through emulation, or at least with a little frameskipping in dosbox.

Joe999

Quote from: cerebrit on Tue 08/06/2004 20:33:41

Minor update, I found the problem with the linux client. The problem would seem to be that I'm an idiot :) There wasn't any documentation with the linux client, which I thougth was odd.  But the reason for that would appear to be that there's a FAQ on the page which I somehow failed to notice multiple times. All one has to do is rename the game "ac2game.dat" and it seems to run fine in the linux client.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and of course for the game and engine itself!

Barbarian

Good to know you got this sorted out, Joe.
How's the AGS games working for you so far in Linux?

Enjoy.  :)

Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Grundislav

Just curious, you ever considered making a talkie version? If so, Evenwolf and I would be ideal candidates to do all the voices. Trust me on this one.

evenwolf

"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Mats Berglinn

The game is great! One of the best ever made of AGS!

I agree with Grundislav on the talkie version, I bet it would rock even more.

By the way I got this error when I tried to take the clothes in the laundry room: Room 4 script line 102 Error: RealeaseCahracterVeiw: invalid character supplied.

aussie

All I have to say is that "No action Jackson" ranks number 1 among my favorite AGS games of all time.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Joe999

Quote from: Barbarian on Wed 09/06/2004 07:58:26
Good to know you got this sorted out, Joe.
How's the AGS games working for you so far in Linux?

I havn't had much time to play yet thanks to summer classes. Which, oddly, has made for an odd cross betwean life and art with the plot of the game. But so it's working like a charm, and has been more than worth the time it took figuring out the setup. I'm really surprised that I hadn't heard of ags before, especially given the mix of old-school gaming fans in linux as well as the smaller amount of available games there.

Atlas

Could someone tell me how to keep the kitchen door open to get Rufus in there?Ã,  Thanks!

Great game by the way!Ã,  The humor and writing is all very nicely done!

EDIT:Ã,  Never mind.Ã,  I found the walkthrough posted in the Hints and Tips forum.Ã,  Thanks anyway!

I just finished the game and it was really great.Ã,  I was a little suprised at the end though when it suddenly quit and left me in Windows--it left me wondering if it had crashed.Ã,  Maybe it should put you back to the main menu instead after you beat it.

Atlas

Rj

How do u keep the door open for rufus to get in, i cant find the doorstep, where is it?

Pumamam

OMG, so much Lucas arts goodness.

Very good.

I must finish this.
8)

sunshinegold

Quote from: Rj on Fri 16/07/2004 21:21:00
How do you keep the door open for rufus to get in, i cant find the doorstep, where is it?

You have to go inside the  DoJo first. :)

Jokester

ive read the thread and both walkthroughs, but havent found an answer (despite it being asked several times), so please help:
Spoiler
How do yo get the cat into the kitchen???  I chase it all the way to the door, but then it just turns around and it says that it "has no other options"
[close]
Please Help

Jokester

ooops
I guessed i didnt read the whole forum, missed that last post. sry

smaropapa

Amazing game!Wonderful artwork,story and graphics!Congrats celebrit!Please help me!!!!I'm completely stuck!I've given grandpa the cane.I've given grandma the secret ingredient.I've been in Dojo and Fitness Center.Now when I get in the kitchen grandma sends me out cause as she says the brownies aren't ready yet,in Dojo I can't take the doorstop cause I haven't the walkie talkie and in fitness center I can't make any progress cause I haven't got the glue!The walkthrough is a bit odd.It says ''use the doorstop'' even before getting into Dojo! ??? ??? ???

jddd

Quote from: smaropapa on Wed 21/07/2004 17:32:35
Amazing game!Wonderful artwork,story and graphics!Congrats celebrit!Please help me!!!!I'm completely stuck!I've given grandpa the cane.I've given grandma the secret ingredient.I've been in Dojo and Fitness Center.Now when I get in the kitchen grandma sends me out cause as she says the brownies aren't ready yet,in Dojo I can't take the doorstop cause I haven't the walkie talkie and in fitness center I can't make any progress cause I haven't got the glue!The walkthrough is a bit odd.It says ''use the doorstop'' even before getting into Dojo! ??? ??? ???

I have the same problem. I can't get into the dojo cause i need the walkman but i need the ketchup to get the walkman but i need a dollar to get the ketchup but i can't get a dollar unless i get a brownie which i need the cat for.

How do I keep that door open?! where do i get the doorstop! argh... so furstating

Please help :)

Kediri

jddd,
Have you seen the walkthrough? - It's very helpful!
http://www.agagames.com/agswalkthroughs/soldb.php?cmd=showGame&id=124

Have you tried going into the dojo? I think you can go into the first part of it, where the leaflets are.
Spoiler
Then if you look down by the floor you can see the doorstop
[close]
Try and take it.....
Spoiler
There's a problem because the door swings shut - you'll need to keep the door open
[close]
How?
Spoiler
Push the chair over to it
[close]
Hope that helps - it's been a while since I played this  :-\
By the way there are some good hints on the rest of the pages for this post - if you don't want to read the walkthrough!  :D

jddd

i have looked at the walkthrough but it just sats "use doorstep on door" but doesn't mention where to get the doorstep. i can't go inside the dojo, it tells me the door is locked. i'm sure i'm missing somnething obvious, but i can't figure out what!

sunshinegold

Quote from: jddd on Mon 26/07/2004 07:11:50
i have looked at the walkthrough but it just sats "use doorstep on door" but doesn't mention where to get the doorstep. i can't go inside the dojo, it tells me the door is locked. i'm sure i'm missing somnething obvious, but i can't figure out what!

Get the professor out of Dojo :)

jddd

sunshinegold

Quote from: jddd on Tue 27/07/2004 01:49:29
how?

Use your walkie-talkie on the a/c on the left of the building :)

jddd

but thats it.

i don't have the walkie talkite
i need the ketchup to get it
i need a dollar to get the ketchup
i need to get the cat into the kitchen to get the dollar
i need to get a doorstop to get the cat into the kitched
and i apparently need to get into the dojo to get a doorstop!!!!!!

Nobody you Know

Seriously jddd, if you read through this thread from the begining you'd find most of your questions answered twice, and at least one link to a very very comprehensive walk through.
If you still can't find anything try the Hints and Tips forum

jddd

look, i have read the thread and the walkthrouhg. all the walkthrough says is use "doorstep on door"

it doesn't say where to get the doorstep. it also says you go to the dojo AFTER you let the cat into the kitchen. so why do people say go to the dojo to get the doorstep? i just want a simple answer, if you don't want to help then don't post.

Nobody you Know

The excellent walk through is by Happy helmet on page 4 of this thread BTW

jddd

thank you. i was assuming that walkthrough was the same as the other one. it does solve my problem! :)

jannar85

Oj, I forgot about this.. Really really great game.
*thumbs up*

This game must be the one AGS game that actually has commercial-quality graphics.
Meh like. Um.. Love actually.

Great game as well :)

Any more game in production or something?
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Abisso

The game seems undownloadable. I tried the mirror also, but gives me an "Object not found" message.

Could anyone else try, please? I'm really curious to play this game.
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

Scummbuddy

try the mirror again, for it allowed me to download it.

http://www.talesofinterest.com/no-action/
-Hoagie from DOTT

Abisso

IT's still impossible for me. Maybe it's due to restrictions on the connection, since I'm using my university's PC. But I've already downloaded about 100 games, and this is the first time I can't.

Any clue?

Anyway it says "Error while trying to retrieve the url...."

Maybe is there another place where I can download the game?
Welcome back to the age of the great guilds.

tux

Doesn't work on linux.

Game crashes and this cames just after granpa has slashed with knife.
(There was one another situation but i didn't have forgotten where.)
Quotein (unknown section) (line 1676)

Error: The character 'Grandpa' could not be displayed because there were no frames in loop 0 of view 10.

BOYD1981

Quote from: tux on Mon 02/01/2006 13:47:01
Doesn't work on linux.

Game crashes and this cames just after granpa has slashed with knife.
(There was one another situation but i didn't have forgotten where.)
Quotein (unknown section) (line 1676)

Error: The character 'Grandpa' could not be displayed because there were no frames in loop 0 of view 10.

heh, it just about works on windows, it's great game but it's full of bugs, one of which is stopping me from getting past a certain point.
also, what DOES work on linux? :D

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

So what happened to the author? Why he abandoned such a great game? At least he should've had polished it and cleaned all the bugs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk