Playstation 2 woes?

Started by Pesty, Sat 08/05/2004 18:57:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesty

Okay, so, we all know I don't start topics all that often. And I must admit this isn't a topic that will launch any interesting debates. But it IS helpful to anyone with the same PS2 problem I had, so don't get pissy!

So here's a story: Once upon a time, we bought a PS2 when it first came out. Life was lovely until one day the PS2 rebelled. "I will not play anymore games for you!", it declared. "Data Read Error! Data Read Error!" So we put it away and bought another one. One who enjoyed playing games for us. We eventually bought another one, as a companion to the new one, so that they could play happy games together.

But all was not well in Playstation Land. The first little PS2 sat, collecting dust like some long forgotten relic, for months and months. Until one day the hero of our story, Pete (that is, me), said "Gee golly whiz, that poor PS2. I want to make it happy!" and so she got on the internet and searched, finding places that would repair it for a lot of money. "This is not what I want, but I will resort to it if I must..." And then suddenly, like a gift from Cthulu, a link appeared!

http://www.tweak3d.net/articles/ps2repair/

Pete was so happy to see that SHE could fix the sad PS2 all by herself! So she followed the step by step instructions and smash bang! The PS2 was fixed!
"I will play your games for you! Gladly!" And Pete and the PS2 lived happily ever after.

The end.

If this story sounds at all familiar, don't fret! This website helped me, and it will help you too!

ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

BOYD1981

if you had sent the warranty card thingamedooda off when you got the ps2 (who ever does?), sony would have fixed it for you... i think.
i got really annoyed with my ps2 giving me disc read errors that i gave it a reason not to work, and now i can't Soul Reaver 2 :(

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Pesty

Quote from: BOYD1981 on Sat 08/05/2004 19:15:29
if you had sent the warranty card thingamedooda off when you got the ps2 (who ever does?), sony would have fixed it for you... i think.
i got really annoyed with my ps2 giving me disc read errors that i gave it a reason not to work, and now i can't Soul Reaver 2 :(

Yeah, they would've fixed it if I paid them $120. Bastards.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Chicky

Scummbuddy

I was one of those geeks that got up super early to buy an xbox on opening day back when, and i kinda regret it. its been having problems, but it doesnt seem to have them with the older games. the newer ones are... my tetris(which ive heard is ridden with bugs anyway), simpsons hit and run (also by radical from tetris) and my futurama game (less problematic) and lastly, my outlaw volleyball seems to have problems. Im pretty sure its my machine, but id be happy to know if it wasnt, and by my halo working just fine, im not sure.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Chicky

well tetris and futurama werent adzactly big hitters 9not saying they're bad), and hit and run was an all format game, so this may cause some problems but they shouldnt bee too big. Try this site  www.gamefaqs.com if these geeks dont have your answer, noone will.

;)

LGM

Why in the world would you need THREE PS2's? When some people don't even have ONE!
You. Me. Denny's.

c.leksutin

This post reminded me that I HAVE a ps2 with a bunch of games that I have YET to use...

ok, ok there is a story behind this, but I'm sure no one care to hear it...

C.

juncmodule

My girlie's brother has gone through 3 Xbox's.

It has to do with cheap manufacturing. Both the XBOX and PS2 suffer from this problem. I've heard all kinds of "reasons" for it happening. In the end, it's just that it's cheap crap. Pretty much if you bought a system early on it was like Russian Roulet, some people have systems that work just fine, others died about a year after purchase. My understanding is that the current systems on the market are just fine.

My PS2 will read CD's just fine, but not DVD's. I can play any PS1 games or CD-based PS2 games (there aren't many).

I found a great solution to my problem. It's called a Nintendo Gamecube. Problem is, the games just are not there for me. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid are fine but...I need teh GTA.

So, this week I will be buying an XBOX.

I am going to look for this magical gear from the link Pesty provided. Mine may be too old for this though...I adjusted my laser via two screws attached to a circuit board. This allowed me to play at least CD games. I do not recall seeing a white gear...guess I will have to open it up.

So, C. leks, what's yer story?

later,
-junc

evenatsisters

Quote from: OSC on Sat 08/05/2004 22:00:34

bought xbox, PROBLEM SoLVED!

Thats a lession to you all kids, go buy an xbox, its well worth it.

Unless you consider the following:

"Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas will be available exclusively for the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system"

auhsor

Didnt they say that for GTA?

Pesty

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Sun 09/05/2004 02:59:14
Why in the world would you need THREE PS2's? When some people don't even have ONE!

Well, the thing is there are more or less two families living in our house. One PS2 is my brother in law's, one is my dad's and one was, until recently, busted and useless. We're big gamers in my family.

Las Naranjas

3 ps2s are like a ps6 man.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

LGM

I use to have a PS2 but my dumbass bro pawned it.

But I'm not gonna waste my money on a console when I should pay for driving school, a car, insurance for the car, computer upgrades, and a web domain..
You. Me. Denny's.

c.leksutin

your brother pawned YOUR PS2 and he didn't receive a beating with a sack of nickles while he slept?

C.

Evil

Heh, if you think LGM's big...  :o  ;)

LGM

My brother feels no pain (for the lack of hardly any brain activity, other than to eat, sleep, and annoy).. Hence, any efforts of mine to brutally beat him are futile.
You. Me. Denny's.

Domino

I'm on my second Playstation 2, and i think this one is about to die too.

The disc tray always grinds when i'm putting in a game.

Damn you SONY!!

i'm going back to ATARIÃ,  ;D

shbaz

Used X-boxes aren't that expensive anymore, it's not a bad deal. I've heard of a Blender Animator who is going to wait til they drop to about $100 and buy a bunch of them for a renderfarm (you can build a sort of "supercomputer" by linking them all and using a master computer to delegate CPU usage). Supercomputer + good games, you can't lose.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

LGM

I want to build a big computer cluster... But I need computers to do that first.
You. Me. Denny's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk