>> New Activity Suggestion <<

Started by .., Sun 09/05/2004 17:38:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok This time I've done this right I hope. I've posted here first.

This is more of an activity than a competition as it is open to everyone

Name: 1001 ways to escape a room!

Purpose: It helps people practise there scripting skills and others learn how to do stuff without having to worry about art.

How it Works: Well every week (or fortnight or whateva) Id post a background and some objects in the thread. It's up to anyone who wants to enter to make a short 1 room game of how the character would escape that room using those items.

They try to make a new and orginal way.

When submitting it you must give it in open source so anybody can download it and see exactly how the person managed to accomplish this. This way people can practise there scripting skills without worrying about art.

Pros : A competition where the art and sprites are provided so you can concentrate on good gameplay and scripting.

Cons: People can see your precious creations.

Do you think this is a good idea? Do you have any probs with it or any suggestions.

Thanx

Scummbuddy

instead of making it into a game for people to upload, we could just say how we would make the puzzle to get out of there. this way you dont need to post objects and sprites and such, and we just get to look at whats given on screen to find a way out. this way our imagination can run wild, and everyone wont have to download 30 games to see what the previous people did, and how to make it different. now, if you wanted to add how someone might go about scripting such a terrific escape, then fine, but i think just the ideas on how to escape, or how to get something, would be enough. i do like this idea, as it would help build peoples puzzle creating techniques, and get rid of 'give money to man blocking door', well, maybe that'll be the first submission, but after that it'd have to be grander, but not necessarily having to build upon the 'give money' it could be, 'hit with chair' or whatever.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Sam.

we could do it like the person who gets out in the best way gets to choose what the next situation will be..
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Scummbuddy

i like that idea, but dont have it be one response chooses the next. then itll become retarded like the mspaint thread got for awhile with dumb responses, just so people could pick the next one.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

I suppose thats a nice idea.

The person who thinks of the most imaginative way will pick the next one.  And i suppose if you were making a game and stuck for puzzle ideas you could put it up as an entry

Bluke4x4

I like this idea. Speaking of activities and competitions, whatever happened to Minimi's competition, where you write stories for games? I miss it.

Peter Thomas

This idea be cool!  I like it muchly.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

Apocathary Fairy

Moox

MOTAS

HEH "escape a room" :)

Great idea. Heh, I was already planning to port a small part of my game MOTAS ( http://www.albartus.com/motas/ ) and this game is all about escaping rooms. :)

I'm happy to learn some new tricks :)

Ginny

I like this idea a lot! Thinking of ways to excape a room is something difficult to do originally, so this should get the creative juices flowing. I was playing around with ideas for such a thing too. Hmm, I have an idea, maybe the winnning idea (by vote) will be made into a small game? Or maybe it's just left alone and yje winner starts the next thread. ;)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

DragonRose

MOTAS: Cool! I love your game!

I like the idea for the competition as well.  And it doesn't have to be ways to escape a room every time, either. Other simple problems could be adressed as well- you have to get something from a high shelf or you have to get someone's attention while they're concentrating on something else.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Ali

Sounds like a great idea. I can scarcely think of a professional game that didn't use the push-a-newspaper-under-the-door-then-use-a-pencil-to-push-the-key-through method of escape.

QuoteI can scarcely think of a professional game that didn't use the push-a-newspaper-under-the-door-then-use-a-pencil-to-push-the-key-through method of escape.
*Quickly Edits game to get rid of this puzzle.*

So should I start this is in the Activity Forum thingy now ?

Mr_Frisby

You should probably get a moderators okay first - but the idea is pretty popular there shouldn't be much of a problem doing that.

Unless you want me to pretend I'm a moderator-  in which case - *moderator me* - Go for it!!
Hey! All my awesome trophies dissapeared in the year since I was here last. CONSARN_IT! with an underscore!!! I earned dem tings!! Oh well. Hope your Monkey floats.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk