What is wrong with some people?

Started by .., Thu 13/05/2004 20:49:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, so I just signed up with the WMI forums (i was signed up b4 but forgot username) I go in the developers lounge and there are a load of questions in there about AGS. I go to help and realise that they are some of the stupidest and most basic questions ever asked? I replied, trying not to tell them to just read the F***in Manual.

Questions like

Someone help me get AGS to work. I just downloaded it and not sure how to use it.

I've read the tutorials and manual (yeh right) and I just don't get how you can use sound in AGS

Oh and... I've read the Beginners Tutorial and Advanced and don't know how to display a message when some1 gets an inventory item...

I know they may be newbies.. but they are ridiculous questions. And the funny thing is, they say theyve read the manual and can't find anything. Can't find anything on sound? Try the page called 'Music and Sound' perhaps.

Anyway, check them out for yourselves

here

here

and here

Sorry if i sound really rude and mean but these just made me think how stupid some people can be.

Sorry if this offends anyone?!

SSH

a) I think I'll post some of the PM  I sent you to help you get going with my savegames tutorial... bwuahahah!
b) Have you looked at what we get in Beginners Help here?
c) I've just noticed the "Insert quote" link on the post reply screen: was that there in the old forum version?

BOYD1981

perhaps they're fed up with you starting all these stupid threads?

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Dave Gilbert

I agree that some folks ask silly questions.Ã,  I had a MSN conversation with some kid a few months ago that went something like this:

kid: Hey, can you teach me how to do cool stuff in AGS?

me: Perhaps. What kind of cool stuff do you want to do?

kid: I dunno. I just want to learn how to do cool stuff!

me: Can you be more speciifc?

kid: You know.Ã,  Cool stuff!

me: It's not that easy.Ã,  You have to know what "cool thing" you want to achieve before I can teach you how to do it. :)

kid: I just want to know cool stuff about AGS!Ã,  Why can't you just show me?

me: Fine.Ã,  Just click the "Make Cool Stuff" button.

The actual conversation was more drawn out than this, but that's the gist.  I kind of found it amusing.

Evil

Yeah, I get that a lot too off of pixelation. I used to be really active but not anymore. But still one or two people a month email me asking for help. Not only have I not been on pixelation in ages, I havent seriously pixeled in ages either. They always end up demanding me to help them and shouting that I'm lying to them by saying I dont know what I am doing.

Meowster

Yeah well, you do lie.

I hate people who demand your attention online. Not like I do. But like, when strangers on MSN contact you and you're like, "Okay" and they're like "How are you" and you sort of ease away the conversation, and then they act like your best friend and every time they go online they say "hi" and you don't say anything back and they keep saying, "R U THERE?! R U THERE?! HELLO!?" and don't stop... like IVAN FOR INSTANCE.

Also people that say "hi" in a message, and you start talking, and they never say anything back. Or they say hi again, and then stop talking.

MrColossal

"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Meowster

U R BEIN PATHETIC AND NOT TLKIN TO ME!!!!

HA HA ha ha ha!!!

vedder

Quote from: Yufster on Thu 13/05/2004 22:10:10
Yeah well, you do lie.

I hate people who demand your attention online. Not like I do. But like, when strangers on MSN contact you and you're like, "Okay" and they're like "How are you" and you sort of ease away the conversation, and then they act like your best friend and every time they go online they say "hi" and you don't say anything back and they keep saying, "R U THERE?! R U THERE?! HELLO!?" and don't stop... like IVAN FOR INSTANCE.

Also people that say "hi" in a message, and you start talking, and they never say anything back. Or they say hi again, and then stop talking.

Yeah that is annoying. After a couple of times I just instinctively block them.

I had some pretty cool conversations with people I didn't know who just started talking to me on msn. Some of it literally made me rolling on floor laughing. They tried to piss me off and make fun of me but they only made fools out of themselves. Eventually they didn't know what to say anymore and they blocked me. I probably had more laughs than they did :)

People asking for help tends to be more annoying. I had it a lot with Jedi Knight editing. Some people just asked some things and you told them and they thanked you and were gone. But others implied they had done all the tutorials and wanted a simple thing done and while explaining they appeared to know completely nothing. Or they would ask an allmost similar question a week later. As if they refused to learn :( dreadfully annoying. Luckily I had just 1 such encounter.

TerranRich

Yes we do get quite a lot of stupid questions in the Beg Tech Forum. We've solved many of the common problem questions with the BFAQ (Beginners' FAQ) and sticky threads like "Yes you CAN make RPG's in AGS!" and "Neat undocumented features of AGS" and the like. Tutorials and stuff ease the bandwidth in that forum. We do get the odd "I read the manual and all tuts and don't get how to use music! or variables! or anything!" but we usually refer them to the BFAQ and manual and lock the thread, but those are rare occurences.

Pumaman

I think a lot of it stems from people who are too impatient to just play around with the thing, and instantly want to achieve X or Y.

By far the best way to get to know a piece of software is just to experiment with it, try various things, dabble around, and before you know it you know how to do most of the stuff you want.

But if you set out explicitly wanting to do something in particular, chances are you'll get frustrated and post a "SOME1 HELP ME!!111" style post.

QuotePeople asking for help tends to be more annoying.

Indeed. This is why I don't publicise my IM nicks here  ;)

LGM

his AIM Screennames are: imCJtheALLMIGHTY and TEHAGSMAST0R
You. Me. Denny's.

HillBilly

Fools! Destroy them all!

Now, can someone please please please please x 20 000 show me how to make an über cool full length game and please make the art, music, script and dialog for me? Within the next five minutes? thanks.

OK I will ........................................... five minutes later well kiss my ass. telling me I don't give directions I just told him to write poo all trough his game and everything in the game was poo.
It was an acciDENT he ran toward me and I hated him and I accidentally pullED OUT MY knife I had spent 5 hours sharpening.

TerranRich

QuoteBy far the best way to get to know a piece of software is just to experiment with it, try various things, dabble around, and before you know it you know how to do most of the stuff you want.

Can I quote you on that, and open up the BFAQ with that quote? :)

Snake

QuoteYes we do get quite a lot of stupid questions in the Beg Tech Forum.
Yeah, shit-posts like, "Where/What are the commands for disabling/enabling GUI buttons?"
What kind of ass crap is THAT crap?!15
Stupid people! "I could have sworn they were there! Could have SWORN they were there!"

vLaRgH!

--Andrew McDanington

--EDIT--
Speaking of MSN: Yeah, I don't mind it when someone just pops up out of nowhere saying hello....mainly because I never do it to anyone else since I hate bothering people. I got a handful of AGSers on MSN, but we never talk...which is a shame since they are awesome people, but there's nothing to talk about I guess :P If someone's on, I usually don't speak unless spoken to. Never know when they don't have much time and they have to fake like they're happy you said hello and next thing you know "Shit! I gotta go man..." ;)

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk