Which one should I choose?

Started by .., Sat 15/05/2004 13:03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, I finnaly managed to scrape together some money to buy an adventure game.

I went into my local Game to see what i could find for £10...

So which one of these do you think i should choose, I've never played anyof them? I'm in love with Comedy games like CMI but love the seriousness and gameplay of things like broken sword.

So... Should I get...

Grim Fandango
The Dig
or Sam and Max & Day of the tentacle double set :D

Help me chooooooose!

Ali

Buy Sam, Max and the Tentacle first, because you get 2 for the price of one. Logic, comrade, logic.

When you get some money together buy Grim Fandango, it's just as good as the first 2, but there's only one of it. If you're a movie buff this one might be the best choice actually.

Finally buy the Dig. I think it's terrific, but it's not to everyone's taste. It is quite serious though, while the first are solidly comic.

Vel

Peter Thomas

I agree with ali. Go the 2 for 1, unless you are a movie buff (then go for GF). I liked the Dig, but not as much as the others.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

LordHart

Okay, the choice is easy... go to a cheap store, and buy a belaclava... then find some big pole/bat/stick and then break into the store and take all the games..

You should have some money left over, which you can use to buy a hooker. ;D

HillBilly

I'd go for door number two! Or sam and max/day of the tentacle. Classics.

ElectricMonk

Sam & Max / Day of the Tentacle.

The Dig, as has been said, is not to everyone's taste, and the 3D interface in Grim Fandango might turn you off the game at first. I know it did with me.

Buy Sam, Max and the Tentacle first, because you get 2 for the price of one. Logic, comrade, logic.

When you get some money together buy Grim Fandango, it's just as good as the first 2, but there's only one of it. If you're a movie buff this one might be the best choice actually.

Finally buy the Dig. I think it's terrific, but it's not to everyone's taste. It is quite serious though, while the first are solidly comic.

Er.. In other words buy all 3? lol

auhsor

For sure Sam and Max/ DoTT. They are both awesome games, and are classics. As well as the others. I'd say that Grim is my favourite out of them, so get that next, but as Ali, said, 2 is better than 1. I havnt actually played The Dig, but I've heard mixed reviws of it. I still want to play it one day.

Oh and don't worry about the Grim Fandango interface. I played it just after playing Monkey Island 4, which has an improved interface of GF's. It was confusing at first, but I was very quickly immersed in the game.

I'm actually surprised that you have a shop with those games. The only adventure games I could find in my games shop were Runaway, MI4, MI3, CSI and Law and Order. As well as Myst. Not really any of the classics... Except MI3.

BOYD1981

damnit, can't people make their own decisions about waht to buy anymore?!?!?!!!?!??!!?
but i'd get grim fandango and definitely wouldn't behead any cats with shovels...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Phemar

Definately go for Grim...I loved it, you will too...;D

Ginny

Depends on your experience eith games, as Grim is a bit more difficult in level than S&m and dott. All of these are great, and I bet the dig is good too, just havn't played it yet, so can't tell for sure. GF is by far my favorite game of all times, but I am a fan of epic, story-driven games, and the immersion in grim really is fantastic. Dott and s&m are more comic.
Man, I wish I could find games like these in stores here! I'd be lucky to find even a decent action-adventure like BG&E, not to mention classics like those. I want another copy of GF, and I want the dig.. If I saw these games in a shop, I'd buy them all at once! Of course, I do have about 500 dollars in the bank account, so money is less of an issue. Then again, I want to get Syberia and Broken Sword 3 aswell.
Hmm.. *Ginny stops rambling.*
:)

P.s. Where do you live Scuthbert? Which country is so incredible to have these games for sale? ;)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Ishmael

I'd say the two-pack. I have only The Dig of those myself, but I know S&M and DOTT are fun...

and then GF later...

(I bought Full Throttle and The Dig a while back...)
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

m0ds

Get Sam & Max and DOTT, they're mandatory to anyone's collection. Which you buy next is a matter of taste and decision. Not everyone likes The Dig. Not everyone likes GF.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: m0ds on Sat 15/05/2004 18:17:29
Not everyone likes The Dig. Not everyone likes GF.

That's true, but I think in most cases GF is more popular that The Dig, so he is probably more likely to like that.

But anyway, I say get DOTT/S&M first. Both classics, & both inspirational to the type of thing achievable in AGS itself.

Then rob a bank.

Then get GF.

Then get The Dig.

Oh yeh, And I also saw MYST (Forgot about that) ... so I can get that..

I was really looking for CMI but I cant find it anywhere!

Ginny

No way, give up GF, The dig, S&M/Dott, for Myst? Never! :P There are some people who liked myst, but it comes nowhere near these wonderful classics! :D
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

jetxl

Get all 3 of them. For real.
It's amazing how much money you can find under registers. And bugging your folks for money is not degrading!

In the past there have been games that I wanted to buy but didn't or couldn't. Now I have regrets, because they don't sell them anymore.  :-Ã,  Ã,  Ã, (

Quote from: Scuthbert on Sat 15/05/2004 19:39:21
Oh yeh, And I also saw MYST (Forgot about that) ... so I can get that..
Don't they give them away for free by now?

Meowster

AGA

Don't buy The Dig, it'll give you AIDS. If you want a really awesome game, get Grim Fandango. If you want two slightly-less-awesome games which add up to an altogether more awesome experience, get the double-pack.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk