Maniac mansion remake released!

Started by Vel, Sat 22/05/2004 09:58:04

Previous topic - Next topic

auhsor

Looks awesome. I'm off to download it...

Nacho

Ohhhhhhh! Ohhhhhhh! Ohhhhhhhh!!! Looks awesome!!! Downloading!!!1
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

LordHart

Farl seemed a bit too excited there... maybe he's having an orgasm... :-\

Anyway, it does indeed look awesome... very awesome indeed!

* Os àšltimo Quão Queijo ^_^ downloads teh gayme!

Abulafia

I haven't downloaded it yet but...is it any good?

modgeulator

Holy crap, this is amazing! It's a complete conversion of Maniac Mansion with VGA graphics, MIDI music and full sound effects. How was it done? Was there an FMTowns version of Maniac Mansion or are the graphics all redone by hand?

AGA

The graphics are good, but they're not quite up to LEC standards, which leads me to believe they're all redrawn. There was never a 256-colour version of MM anyway...

HillBilly

YAY!

IRONBOLT v3.1.0 -> FATAL ERROR 10 : Failed to Run Page 'ad_takeover'

A Fatal Error has occured preventing the rendering of the page you requested!

System Admin Name: FileFront, LA Network Operations
System Admin Email: lanetwork@filefront.com
Network Operations Phone: 213-341-0629

IRONBOLT Engine, FileFront Inc.

umm...Ã,  :-\

*tried again*
*Page is loading*
*waiting*
*still waiting*
*nothing happens*

Blah! I'll try again later.

EDIT: Downloadin' now.

Vel

They're done in the style of indy 3 and zak256 IMO.

Scummbuddy

Where is our beloved LucasFan, and his own post of completed game announcement? He hates us.Ã,  :'(
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Darth Mandarb

Maybe we could dance through a few more hoops just to download the game?

I'll never understand why you have to click 'Click Here to Download' 12 times to finally get the frickin' DL started.

Anyway ... I'm checking it out now.

DJ

I run into an error - FaceCharacter in Another Room or some business - when I  try and do the following.

Spoiler
If I give Weird Ed the exploded hamster, it gives me the cut scene and then the error.
[close]

And  then the game shuts down.

auhsor

If you go to the forums at his site, there seems to be alot of people talking about bugs and stuff.

Migs

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sat 22/05/2004 22:34:13Where is our beloved LucasFan, and his own post of completed game announcement? He hates us.Ã,  :'(

That's just not LucasFan's style. :)  Besides, most people respect his creative and artistic brilliance too much to complain.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Eggie

I just have one question..

Are the walking deads still there?

Redwall

I don't remember any of those in Maniac Mansion...? It's been a long time since I played it though.

This is fun fun fun. I love it. Except I can't get to the room behind the paint blotch on the third floor...
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Mr Flibble

I haven't even played it (yet) and I know the answer to that one.

You have to use the brush with the paint remover, then the wall.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

ElectricMonk

You have to use the brush with the paint remover, then the wall.

That's how I remember it, but it doesn't seem to work.

Kweepa

Quote from: Eggie on Sun 23/05/2004 12:58:27

I played for about 20 minutes until all my characters were locked in the dungeon.
I think that counts as a walking dead - but maybe I'm just stupid. I never seriously played the original.

There are very few default actions, which is a shame.
And Razor was joking about Bernhard's aftershave - to Bernhard.
Seems a bit unfinished.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

AGA

Read my review. It's a 1:1 remake of the original game, albeit aesthetically improved. So yes, all the walking deads are still there, Eggie...

Lucasfan-Fan

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sun 23/05/2004 16:52:27
I played for about 20 minutes until all my characters were locked in the dungeon.
I think that counts as a walking dead

As far as I remeber that was NONE of the dead ends :)

LGM

Damnit.. I may just suck at adventure games, but where am I supposed to go.. I can't find any of the rooms that I see in cutscenes.. bah..
You. Me. Denny's.

AGA

Um... go up the stairs. Keep going up. The second floor (third if you're American) is where all the bedrooms are...

If you meant the sekrit lab, that's hidden, and you won't find it 'til near the end...

LGM

Yea.. I'm following a walkthrough, but it would seem it's not entirely accurate

Spoiler
The door's combo in the dungeoun should be "0000" if you haven't messed with the arcade machine
[close]

I don't know.. I just got an error..
You. Me. Denny's.

AGA

All the numbers in the game are randomly generated each time you play. To find the door combination you need to
Spoiler
play the Meteor Mess game in the arcade room. To do this you need to fix the power, which is hidden somewhere upstairs.
[close]

Kweepa

Quote from: Lucasfan-Fan on Sun 23/05/2004 18:32:29
I think that counts as a walking dead

As far as I remeber that was NONE of the dead ends :)

So I guess I am just an idiot then. :(

Happyhelmet

Well you can get get out of the dungeon if all three get locked down there.
Spoiler
Pixel hunt the far wall for a brick you can push to open the dungeon door. For this to work, one character must push the brick while the other one or two can go through the door. Unfortunately one will always be stuck, until you find the key :)
[close]
*<@: ) ("Clown Hat, Curly Hair, Smiley-Face" - Cartman, South Park)

Kweepa

Thanks HappyHelmet.
You would think it could look just a little bit different!

The game looks nice but it's all a bit random for my liking.

Spoiler

Razor gave green tentacle the mating tape, but it just sounded like a piano playing when he played it. Then the game cut to a tombstone outside with a package on it and returned control to me. I'm guessing that's her dead, but... whaa?
[close]

Redwall

Ah, I figured out the paint blotch. You have to OPEN the paint remover first. I don't remember that being in the original, though...

SteveMcCrea:
Yes, you do NOT give Green the Tentacle Mating Tape... you give him a tape of Razor's piano playing. The vitrola should be OFF when you do that.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Kweepa

So she's dead?
What's with the package?

And why no message when you try to put a paint brush in a closed can?

I hope this is a beta!

deltamatrix

incredible lookin.

But I can't download it. I click the download buttons and guess what DOESN'T happen!
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

AGA

Steve: The package is all the stuff that character was carrying, so one of the other two still-alive characters can go and pick them up and finish the game without them...

piraatlife4me

I downloaded it and it soooo rules!!!!
Maniac Mansion is one of my all time favorite games  ;D
Hey is there supposed to be a theme song at the beginning? I'm only getting sound fx.

EKM

I downloaded this game yesterday but didn't really play it till today.

I beat it!!! this remake is actually a bit more fun than the original NES cartridge which I still have in my basement along with my Nintendo!

I like the graphics and music too...pretty funky. The whole game is fun though..

I used Razor and Bernard, some of the puzzles got me guessing since some of it is slightly different than the original but..in the end, I prevailed, woo!

Gilbert

Quote from: Everglaze on Tue 25/05/2004 02:29:54
I used Razor and Bernard, some of the puzzles got me guessing since some of it is slightly different than the original but..in the end, I prevailed, woo!

As written by AGA I think it's identical to the original, just that I had heard some things were changed in the NES/Famicom version.

LucasFan

QuoteWell, it's a completed game, whether LF wants to tell us about it or not.

Pictures tell more than 1000 words…Ã,  :)

QuoteSeems a bit unfinished. I hope this is a beta!

Heh… Ummm… I'm afraid it's too late to start a callback service now. lol Since Friday the game has been downloaded more than 70.000 times. But I promise, as soon as we sober up again, we will sit down and make our homework.Ã,  ;)

Kweepa

Very cool!
70,000! That beats the 700 my game has had in 6 months :(

Just for us non-Americans though, what is that show on NBC there?
Did AGS get a mention?
Do you have a mpeg?

Vel

70,000!!!
That beats the approx 2,500 downloads of WWTLF for 9 months!

Kinoko

Freaking hell, that's a lotta downloads!

I was amazed as soon as I started the game, it was great! I don't think (as far as I could tell) that a single thing was changed from the original except for, obviously, the improved graphics and bg music (that fit surprisingly nicely! Also, was that 'Loom' record in the original? I don't remember it but it's been awhile since I played the old version).

I did encounter one situation in which a number of glitches seemed to manifest at once. I ended up playing as Dr. Fred with no visible cursor... it was certainly interesting. Still, I loved it.

I played the whole thing through with no walkthrough for the first time ever :P I was rather impressed with myself. I know very little was due to memory because I was really thinking about a lot of the puzzles... I had the most trouble finishing (the very last action) which is strange when you consider just how many different ways there are to finish the game.

LucasFan

QuoteJust for us non-Americans though, what is that show on NBC there?
Well, it's a show about PC and console games. What did you expect?Ã,  ;)

QuoteDid AGS get a mention?
Heh, they only mentioned that the engine of MMD isn't compatible with ScummVM. lol

QuoteDo you have a mpeg?
No, only an asf.Ã,  ;)

QuoteAlso, was that 'Loom' record in the original?
Yes, in the NES-version.

Kweepa

Quote from: LucasFan on Tue 25/05/2004 14:43:15
Well, it's a show about PC and console games. What did you expect?Ã,  ;)
I expected it to have a name I suppose...

Heh, they only mentioned that the engine of MMD isn't compatible with ScummVM. lol
Boo!

QuoteDo you have a mpeg?
No, only an asf.Ã,  ;)
Errr, can we see it?

Cheers,
Steve

LucasFan

QuoteI expected it to have a name I suppose...
It's called Giga Games.

QuoteErrr, can we see it?
The file is more than 500MB big (the whole show lasted 2 hours). I'm afraid I don't know much about cutting and converting movie-files.

viktor

Quote from: Eggie on Sun 23/05/2004 12:58:27

I think that counts as a walking dead - but maybe I'm just stupid. I never seriously played the original.

There are very few default actions, which is a shame.
And Razor was joking about Bernhard's aftershave - to Bernhard.
Seems a bit unfinished.
yeah but one of the characters can escape if there are at least two in the dungeon...
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Kweepa

And Razor was joking about Bern[h]ard's aftershave - to Bern[h]ard.
Seems a bit unfinished.

Actually Bernard jokes about Bernard's aftershave!

Quote from: viktor on Tue 25/05/2004 15:49:34
yeah but one of the characters can escape if there are at least two in the dungeon...

I saw that - thanks!

CoffeeBob

Hmm, Not a very bad remake. Not bad at all!
I liked the original alot too.
I don't have the time to write a review right now, but I will as soon as I can.

foz

This was one of the first adventure i ever played ....great game.

Shame they did`nt do the remake in Day of the tentacle style....

Still excellent none the less..

foz

Mats Berglinn

Kediri

I'm having problems downloading this  ??? It seems I can only get it as a HTML doc. Even if I right click it! Any suggestions?  :(

Kediri

It's ok - I worked it out! Always seems to work out after I post a query  :-\

deltamatrix

Any updates released lately?

Found a bug. When I was being chased out the kitchen by edna and I left out the door. The game crashed saying 'Too many screen overlays'
BAD WOLF - TORCHWOOD - MR SAXON - THE BEES ARE DISAPPEARING - PANDORICA - RIVER SONG

CoffeeBob

Bug report:
While my brother was playing it, this really odd glitch happened.
POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING!
He went into weird Ed's room with Bernard and gave him the package, then he went in there with Dave as well, then, the mouse pointer dissapeared and he was playing as Ed! :o He could move him around like he was a character! :D

Do0kie

Couple of bugs:

1. I was playing with Bernard & Razor, sent the demo tape, the cutscene is shown of the guy recieving the demo, then I check the mailbox - nothing. I play a few more minutes, the cutscene is shown AGAIN, then finally the contract appears.

2. Happened a couple of times - while trying to climb the stairs to the third level (to the room where GT first shows up), sometimes the character is being thrown back in the middle of the room, then continues to walk to the stairs and eventually climb them.

All in all, a GREAT game!

Mats Berglinn

Quote from: Do0kie on Sun 30/05/2004 20:52:37
2. Happened a couple of times - while trying to climb the stairs to the third level (to the room where GT first shows up), sometimes the character is being thrown back in the middle of the room, then continues to walk to the stairs and eventually climb them.

That happened to me too as well.

viktor

how do you download the freakin game. Whenewer I click on the download buton it just sends me back to the previous screen
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Azure

http://www.gamershell.com

has a copy up for download as revealed by a google search.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Migs

LucasFan,

This is the best remake I've ever seen, and I mean that.  You did a fantastically wonderful job.  Keep up the great work!
This signature intentionally left blank.

Scummbuddy

i didnt want to register there at the forums for just one post.
But, I got this funny image when playing. it was probably caused because of a timing issue. bernard was just coming out of the pool, and was actually walking around, and then purple tentacle was doing his check of the reactor room, and the when it returned control to me, I got:

I know it looks like a bad photoshop job, but i have a savegame to prove it...

Just for a laugh:

EDIT* I just wanna say I'm having a blast replaying the game, but is there a way to see the high scores of the meteor mess game, either again, or slower, because itwent too fast for me.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Redwall

Scummbuddy:

Spoiler
Get the key from Nurse Edna's room and use it on the Meteor Madness coin box.
[close]
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Do0kie

Another bug... Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to complain about the bugs, I LOVE this game, and I'm just telling you about them so IF you plan to fix them sometime, you know where to look. ;D

Playing with Michael and Wendy. Gave package to Ed, then sent the manuscript (dunno if this is related to the bug) - this time the contract showed up immediately ;) then went to Ed's room to give him the pictures and he turned hostile. I gave him the pictures, he thanked me, then threw me into the dungeon. However, after I entered the secret lab, he showed up and saved me... yaaay! ???

Darth Mandarb

I got a little irritated downloading (I'm over it!) but I wanted to post in here again to applaud this game!

Simply awesome!

I didn't get very far for 2 reasons:
1) I'm not very good at Adventure Games and
2) I never played the original (gasp!)

But it's the best AGS game I've played to date!

Bang up job!

Punch

Very cool remake. I love Maniac Mansion, so this was a lot of fun.

I noticed a couple of bugs too. If you get to the end of the game too quickly the timed events still happen. So, even though you're standing in the Sekrit Lab with Sandy tied to the bed thing, the cutscene showing Dr. Fred talking to her and saying that he's going to attach her to the brain sucking machine still plays, and she magically disapears from one room and appears in the other.

Similarly, Dr Fred will walk away from the intruder in his lab and play himself a nice game of Meteor Mess while the house's self destruct sequence is activated.

Nice work, though. It was a huge project to undertake, so massive respect for getting it done.

- Punch

viktor

I noticed a similar problem. I caled the space polic eand I took care of the meteor myself (without the help of the police). But when I finished the game the cutseen with the space police runs again and then an error window pups up.
signature" border="0

Ciro Durán

For those who asked about the paint remover, you have to...

Spoiler
...open first the paint remover, it's not quite exactly like the original game, where you could use it directly
[close]

The game looks a quite massive project, I applaud LucasFan for his efforts in remaking the game, although such a big game like this has its problems:

Spoiler
When I was repairing the cables in the hidden door next to the man-eating plant, I switch the breakers off, and with the old batteries tried to fix the cables. Of course, the batteries went dead, and the character told me so. But when I tried to do something else, the game aborted telling me the active inventory wasn't in the character's inventory.
[close]

The game looks pretty cool, but with the type of bugs I found, I couldn't play it anymore, I just got out the original one and finished it (with Michael and Bernard).

Primus

Ciro:

Spoiler
those old batteries are a kinda "red herring", as the good ones are in the radio which is on the swimming pool. It's necessary to find a door key, then someone to (SAVE HERE) empty the pool; meanwhile, other character gets the radio and opens it to get them.
[close]

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. (Sir James Dewar)

Queen Kara

Since I didn't see any mention of "easter eggs" and such from other posts... For those interested :
The original game had to go through quite a few changes , due to censorship people ( I can't remember if it was some group within the lucasarts team or an outside group...and don't feel like checking... ) ....some of the stuff was considered too adult so they had the team dumb it down...if I remember correctly you couldn't put things like "suck" in your games so they had to change "Pretty soon I'll get to see your pretty brains sucked out!" ( or whatever the line is ) to something else.
Nurse Edna especially was suggestive , if you get caught she'll make a comment about tying you to the bed if you're a boy and saying "pity you're not a boy" or something like that if you're a girl. If you have somebody that can fix the phone..."Is this supposed to be a prank phone call? You're not doing it right. Here , let me teach you. *breathes heavily*" ..that's the sort thing she'd say at different points in the game , and some of the calendars and art ( like the mermaid ) are supposed to be suggestive too. ( ie the mummy calendar is imitating a swimsuit calendar or some such thing and supposedly that was a no-no for the original too ) "For a good time call ... " ( edna's number ...but they had to change it to be less suggestive ...sorry for any bad spelling here )
Thankfully back when I had the original , nothing or little seemed to have been changed and in the remake all the good "naughty" stuff is there too.
I just thought people would like to know some more Crazy Mansion history. oh and of course there was a television show once but it was different in alot of ways from the game series .
( I prefer the idea of giving it the title Crazy Mansion instead of Maniac Mansion...not that I'm saying the remake should have a minor update just for that title but just saying..lol )
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

Snarky

All that stuff was changed for the NES version only. Nintendo back then were pretty uptight.

Matt Brown

slashdot article on the game. check it out
word up

Yvonne

I have never played the original Maniac Mansion, so this one is really difficult for me.
What can I discover with the telescope?
Is there a safe here as well - I've been reading walkthroughs for the first MM...
Can I repair the phone? Or, I have to make Fred get out of his roo, so I could use his phone?

LucasFan

I think that's one of the best walkthroughs you can find for Maniac Mansion.

Yvonne

Thanks a lot!
I had already lost hope that someone would respond...

Gord10

I have played it.  Nice game:)
I didn't download it. It was published in a game magazine's CD in Turkey:
http://www.level.com.tr/level/
The "Level CD Icerigi"/"Full Oyunlar"
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

artphobia

I played this game a ton when I was younger so it is good see some updated graphics for it. ;)  What I have always wondered though is Jeff(the surfer) just a red herring or what?  I have never noticed anything special that he alone can do.
Scott Jarvis's Developer Profile
http://www.ambitiousgamer.com

LucasFan

Quote from: SteveMcCreaErrr, can we see it?

Better late than never.  ;)

Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe Take 1.asf 9 min / 21 MB
Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe Take 2.asf 10 min  25 MB
Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe Take 3.asf 8 min / 19 MB
Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe 1.2 Take 1.asf 8 min / 19 MB
Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe 1.2 Take 2.asf 7 min / 17 MB
Giga Games - Maniac Mansion Deluxe 1.2 Take 3.asf 7 min / 16 MB

PS.: Remove the http:// from the links. This board is stupid.  ;)

Scummbuddy

They dont seem to be working, even when you take the http off.
-Hoagie from DOTT

LucasFan

Are you sure you have eDonkey or eMule on your PC?

Scummbuddy

heh, sorry. I did at one time, but i got rid of it. thanks.
-Hoagie from DOTT

R4L

If you were trying to make the EXACT Maniac Mansion, you didn't quite get it at it. Only because there was a way to beat the game in like 30 mins on the original. You have to get the glowing key and the radio tube. Only Bernard can get the radio tube. When you get both, look at the poster in the room with the radio in it. Use the radio tube with the radio and then call the Meteor Police. They will tell you to meet them in the brig in 5 mins. Get caught. When in the brig, use glowing key on both padlocks and open inner door. Open inner door. The reason why I couldn't beat it just now was because the original code was 0000. Now I don't know what it is. Plus, the original had different ways to do stuff, like opening the grate outside you had to use the tools, but now, all you do is pull the bushes and pull the grate, which gets you furthur into the game faster. But, if you were trying to recreate it but not making it easy like that, or adding some changes, then you succeded. Original was a very good game. This wasn't bad but the animation could be better. I loved the pictures. They were good quality. I ain't saying this game is so bad that no one else should play it, I just prefer the original more. Others might disagree but, I still love the original. Good job. I liked this game even though I didn't beat it the real way. Now, I shall go get my NES and play the original.
BTW: found a bug. If you have someone pull the gargoyle and don't let him go, that person ends up by the front door and if you try to walk anywhere, it doesn't walk. But to get rid of this, walk out the front door and walk back through it to be able to walk again.
Corey

Scummbuddy

Quote from: Rap4Life42o on Sat 07/08/2004 04:38:37
even though I didn't beat it the real way.

There is no real way, but there are many ways. I'm sure you realize that there are many ways, as you said, but you make it sound as if this is the only way. Half the fun is to find all the different endings.
-Hoagie from DOTT

LucasFan

Quote from: Rap4Life42oThe reason why I couldn't beat it just now was because the original code was 0000.

Heh, we have enough own bugs in MMD. We don't have to steal bugs of console ports.Ã,  ;)

Quote from: Rap4Life42oOthers might disagree but, I still love the original. Good job. I liked this game even though I didn't beat it the real way. Now, I shall go get my NES and play the original.

Hmm? I thought you love the original!Ã,  ???
So get your Apple II, C64, Amiga, Atari ST or IBM.
The NES-version is just a "family-friendly" remake, made for some console kiddies. It's definitely not the original. ;D

viktor

Quotelike opening the grate outside you had to use the tools
Sorry if I misunderstood but this is not the only way to open it. You probably used the exercise machine without realizing that will help you open the grate. I don't know if that's in the newer wersion though becouse I only played it once and I automaticaly used the machine without trying to open the grate first.
signature" border="0

R4L

They had it on Amiga?! Commodore?! ARGH!!!! Well, the NES version isn't bad it's still fun to play although I always turn all the kids' CD players off(Damn music, so annoying!)

Simmy

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 25/05/2004 11:52:11
Very cool!
70,000! That beats the 700 my game has had in 6 months :(

Just for us non-Americans though, what is that show on NBC there?
Did AGS get a mention?
Do you have a mpeg?

Im from germany, my english is not so good. This show called GIGA GAMES. on this, the netreporters presenting games. thats verry funny. from 10:00pm-0:00am. an GIGA GREEN from 3:00pm-8:00pm okay?

LucasFan

Quote from: SimmyThis show called GIGA GAMES. on this, the netreporters presenting games. thats verry funny.

I found this on a Giga Games-Fanpage. It's not complete but it shows some of the german eastereggs and it's a direct download. And yes, that music in the background is from Trapezoid.Ã,  :)

MonkeySpank

Wow, you did a really good job on remaking the game :)

I absolutely love it.

As I was playing an idea popped into mind: it would really be cool to play this game with like two other guys or girls (or tentacles, or whatever) over the internet.. Now with the tcp/ip plugin that could very well be possible. How about that suggestion? :)
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

AGA

That was actually LucasArts' original plan, MonkeySpank. The technology to make it work just wasn't available.  Same as the fourth Larry game was supposed to be online too.

MonkeySpank

Yeah, I kinda thought that I wasn't the first guy to figure this out, but hey.. what the hell...

I heard them romans ate hamburgers and drove taxi cabs around like year zero or something  ;)
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!

Nansober

This is a great game I love the fact that the story can be different with different characters. Keep up the good work  ;D

Scummbuddy

Quote from: Nansober on Fri 24/09/2004 16:10:30
This is a great game I love the fact that the story can be different with different characters. Keep up the good workÃ,  ;D

umm, LucasFan and his team didn't "create" the game, they just made an updated version of the original.
-Hoagie from DOTT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk