Helpe me solve this, I'm Going Crazy!

Started by .., Thu 27/05/2004 20:20:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok so in English today I get given this activity. Fair enough i kind of glance down at it and carry on talking then after a sharp jab in the back I quickly read it. Its a hidden message you have to decode it. And I haven't got a clue, It's really annoying me and the teacher won't give us the answers!! I really want to solve it.. anyway here it is

Early one Saturday morning Susan Holt sighed deeply as she opened her homework books. When her mother asked what was the matter Susan explained that she had to do an excersise on capital letters for school, and that she wanted instead to send out a message to her friends in the Smashing Six Secret Society. Mrs. Holt was sympathetic and suggested that Susan could make the morning more enjoyable by sending out a message in code which was based upon the correct use of Capital Letters. "That was you will all get some useful practise and at the same time enjoy yourslef." she said.

Susan thought that this was a great idea and below is the passage that she send to the members of the Smashing Six Secret Society. See if you can work out what message was hidden in ith. It will help if you first of all try to remember the rules for the use of capital letters. Look carefully at their position in the passage, and at whether they have been used correctly or are missing.

THE PASSAGE:

immediately the Prime Minister called a cabinet meeting to discuss the threat. He was worried about security. many lives could be lost. The newspapers had not yet picked up the story but Michael best, the reporter, was aware that something was going on.  The letter had been posted in otley. both the envelope and its contents had been sent for analysis. ideas and plans for action were being collected together by harry Preston. Further news was expected later in the week when attention would switch to Manchester. The tension was unbearable. emma Jones had been assigned to the case to work at the operations room in clamp Road. clearly the home of lady scott would need special supervision on the Tuesday morning.

Ok thats it. I worked out that the following things were wrong
I in Immediately
M in many
B in Best
O in otley
B in Both
I in Ideas
H in Harry
E in Emma
C in Clamp
C in Clearly
L in Lady
S in Scott

And When I said is the answer something like Im Bob I heccls, apparently I was on completely the wrong track. Any Ideas?!?!?!?!

TerranRich

The rule about use of capital letters, she said? Well, you don't JUST capitalize first words of sentences. What about "Prime Minister"? "Tuesday"? "Emma Jones"? "Michael"?

Hmmmm?? :P

Hmmm....

Never mind, I see where you were going with this. You seem to have been on the right track with that one. Don't think it's very fair to give you a test that doesn't really test anything.

Maybe it's the way it was written/typed on the paper?

Esseb

[...]Look carefully at their position in the passage[...]

Maybe you overlooked this clue.

I mean, you just typed the text here without preservering the line breaks. They might be needed to solve it.

TerranRich

Exactly what I said. Maybe you could scan it, Scuthbert?

Peter Thomas

Well, if you mix the letters up you get BIMBO CLICHES, so that's my guess. Not that it actually MEANS anything...
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

TerranRich

We know where your mind is, Mr. Thomas.

* TerranRich pictures Jessica Simpson making a Michael Jackson-pedophile joke. *

Bimbo cliche!

Peter Thomas

actually, I was thinking more along the lines of Jessica Simpson making a Michael Ja....

oh, wait....

yeah, you got it it one.
Peter: "Being faggy isn't bad!"
AGA: "Shush, FAG!"

QuoteThe rule about use of capital letters, she said? Well, you don't JUST capitalize first words of sentences. What about "Prime Minister"? "Tuesday"? "Emma Jones"? "Michael"?
Erm I saw those..

Anyway I worked it out, nothing to do with anagrams of those letters.. Ill give you the answer and see if you can work out the rule.

MEET AT TEN TODAY NORMAL PLACE

Meowster

Figured it out!

Spoiler

immediately the Prime Ministeare called a cabinet meeting to discuss the threat. He was worried about security. many lives could be lost. The newspapers had not yet picked up the story but Michael best, the reporter, was aware that something was going on.Ã,  The letter had been posted in otley. both the envelope and its contents had been sent for analysis. ideas and plans for action were being collected together by harry Preston. Furtheare news was expected later in the week when attention would switch to Manchester. The tension was unbearable. emma Jones had been assigned to the case to work at the operations room in clamp Road. clearly the home of lady scott would need special supervision on the Tuesday morning.
[close]

...Er, or something like that?

EDIT: Er, the Hide tags killed my Bold tags... Anyway, I figured out how to get the first part of the sentence, but not the second...

TerranRich

Yufster, that makes no sense.

Spoiler
It looks as though you just picked random letters.
[close]

Ok anyway hers wot u have to do.

Spoiler
Where ever a capital letter should b used take the letter immediately after it. Whenever a capital letter has been used corretly take the letter immediately b4 it... Try it.. It works :P
[close]

Meowster

See, what I did was take every word that had a Capital Letter, and then try to form a sentence using one letter from each other. And it bloody worked! It bloody, bloody worked! I got the first part of the sentence!

*grumble grumble*

TerranRich

That's a pretty far-fetched solution for a SCHOOL problem. Smack your teacher.

Kinoko

Yeah, screw that. I'd get the school shut down for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk