game nostalgia - Top 5 list

Started by Hinders, Sun 13/06/2004 22:42:20

Previous topic - Next topic

MrColossal

I remember rags to riches... i hated it cause i never really knew what to do...

i've been meaning to try it again but i fear it will best my 22 year old brain like it did my 10 year old brain
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

CobraKaun

Hehehehe, it can be like that, but really it's a very simple game and very fun once you understand how to play.

Right off the start of the game though your character is basically about dead. So, the first thing you need to do is get food. Go straight to your left and into the store, first it'll turn in all 5 bottle for a dollar, then go back in, and buy some food.... it's not much, but enough to keep you alive. Then, wait till 11 and get some food in the soup kitchen. From then you're good.
Pick up coins for dollars, and 5 bottles can be turned in for a dollar. Or sometimes you get lucky, and there is a dollar on the ground.

Then once you have a couple bucks, go buy some bones @ the meat shop... and go to the junkyard (extreme left) and use the bones to get 5 bottles from the junkyard and turn them in for a dollar next door. Basically 4 dollars profit per purchase of bones. Stay @ the Roach Hotel at night for $2, buy food if you need it, or go to the soup kitchen... avoid the $4 lunch, it's not worth it.

Then once you have about $40 go the the west side of town, get a haircut, so the cops quit bugging you, and get a job. Rent and apartment, go take some highschool classes.... etc. Remember, if the IRS, and burgalar, or the cops are on you and you need to escape, go in the nearest building... it will make them turn around.

Good luck. =)

Mr_Threepwood

Every time i start thinking about MI2 i gotta beat it, god it was a great game.  I loved the colors and the amazing backgrounds, and collecting the map pieces.
I am a mighty pirate

R4L

Ahh... finally, someone mentions Alone in the Dark. I hear its a great game but I had the demo of it from DOS and it was pretty cool.

leone

My most nostalgic games are:

Express Rider (Arcade)
Ninja Emaki (Arcade)
Ghosts'n'Goblins (Arcade)
Rastan (Arcade)
Rolling Thunder (Arcade/ZX Spectrum/Amiga)
Operation Wolf (Arcade)
Black Tiger (Arcade)
Bubble Bobble (Arcade/ZX Spectrum)
Commando (Arcade/ZX Spectrum)
Saboteur (ZX Spectrum)
Aufwiedersehen Monty (ZX Spectrum)
Gold of the Aztecs (Amiga)
Torvak the Warrior (Amiga)
Another World (Amiga)
Alien Breed (Amiga)
Mister No is coming

Totoro

Mmmh... Apart from Lucas Arts Stuff I could get very nostalgic about...

It Came from the Dessert
This was so scary and it was so big fun to escape from the hospital, riding the wheelchair or hiding in the bed  :=

Kick Off
This soccer-game was extremely unrealistic, but so much fun. 

Speed Ball 2
Some sort of SF-Football, got so excited over the league mode in there.

Oil Imperium
Oh my god, digging for oil was so easy, when I realised I should use the joystick instead of the mouse  ;) ...

Wing Commander 2
It had a great story and the main character had MY NAME!! :D I liked it much more than the later 3 or 4...

BlackMan890

ahh... i remember...

You see, i am 15 years old, but my brotheres were MASTER of finding games....

Mines are:

1. Final Fantasy 7
2. Tales of Destiny 2 (Tales of Eternia)

and all the games i played with my older brothers, now i am only alone.... Everyone is grown up, and i am the only one left in the family playing these games.... sometimes i want to cry :'(

Final Fantasy has always been the BEST game i have played, i really felt in the game and cryed at sad parts (like the end of Disk 1)

THen there are all the DOS games, like CIV, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Minebomber (now that was a GREAT game ;D) and MUCH more
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

SpacePirateCaine

For as long as I can remember, my Dad has had an old "TI Home Computer 99/4A". I remember back when I was about 4 getting Pole Position for my Dad for his birthday. He's long since stopped playing video games, but we had long, long hours of fun playing Alpiner (With that annoying and condescending lady that talked down to you whenever you made a mistake), Tunnels of Doom, Pirate Adventure, Parsec, Munch Man... Ah yes. I think I'm gonna get it out of its box and set it up here in my room.

We also had an Atari 2600, that my brother bought from one of his school friends for, like, 20 bucks. Back then, Snoopy and the Red Baron was state of the art, I tell you. We also grooved on Berzerk, ET... Yeah. But the one video game moment that I remember the most was back when I was about 8, and my family went to Disney World. I don't actually remember Disney World all that well (Except for Space Mountain, which was my first roller coaster ever), but we went to Toys 'R' Us and got an NES, with the Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cartridge; hooking it up in the hotel room, and watching my Dad dying on the first goomba four or five times before he proclaimed: "There's nothing to do in this game but die". And the game that wins the award in me for the most fights started between my brother: Street Fighter 2 on the SNES, and all of it's thousands of remakes. We just couldn't play it without nearly coming to blows once one of us was trapped in a corner getting sweep kicked over and over again...

And I almost forgot to mention Commander Keen, which was the first game we had on our old 386. I found my Dad playing it in the computer room of our house one day after school, and after he turned the keyboard over to me, I was hooked. I sucked at it... but I was hooked.

Okay, so that's not 5, but 12. Oh well.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Pelican

Most of my early gaming experiences involve my old Atari ST. Amazing the thing still works, because I was feeling a bit nostalgic a few weeks ago and dug it out. I recall playing Monkey Island 1 for the first time, and Loom aswell (classic game!). I did have a spectrum before that, but most of my memories are of the atari. Oh, and of course, Elite 2 is a mega nostalgia trip for me. For all their proclamations, X, and X-2 just don't measure up!

JD

Most old games give me that nostalgia feeling, but these two are just.. special to me :)

Especially when I play them in cga with pc speaker sound!

Ubel

Ahh... Prince of Persia. Brings back memories. I used to play that with my friend a LOT when I was younger. As the matter of fact my friend still has got this game. I have to ask him to borrow it.

*wants to play it very much*

Quote from: Goél on Thu 17/02/2005 22:33:10
Final Fantasy has always been the BEST game i have played, i really felt in the game and cryed at sad parts (like the end of Disk 1)

You too? I've finished the game about four times and am still playing it. The thing I fell in love with the game were the musics. They created a great atmosphere for it. I have also bought the Original Soundtrack of the game and when I'm in a need of inspiration (for example in writing stories) I just listen to it.

Arboris

oh, I have alot of games wich I get nostalgic with.

Apart from the most obvious, like monkey island or leisure suit larry, these are some of the games wich I get nostaligic with.

Secret of Mana

I never owned this game myself tho (I had a sega myself at that time), but a friend of mine had it on his snes and we played it almost every day for months in a row. Too bad that the sequal never was released outside of japan. Instead we got secret of evermore and the SoM sequal is only available as a fan-sub ROM game known as Seiken Denetsu 3.

Bio Menace

Like commander keen, only with blood and gore. Yea, probably my first "bloody" shooter :)

Sim city

Everybody knows this game. The classic that started it all. I sucked at it tho :)

Concept shooter. Demo version 1.05

JD

Ah yeah Simcity! That was fun.

Here's another nostalgic one, one I never finished!

Domino

1. PONG
2. ADVENTURE (Atari 2600)
3. MISSLE COMMAND (Atari 2600)
4. LODE RUNNER (Tandy 1000)
5. SPACE INVADERS (Atari 2600)

oops, almost forgot the original Castle Wolfenstein.  I loved that game.

Arboris

no river raid? :) Thats the game I always played on the trusty old 2600 i got when i was 6 or so.

Ubel

Oh yeah, and this is one of the most nostalgic games in my life:

One Must Fall 2097!!!

I first played this game when I was 6 or something (can't quite remember) and I still play it. It's one of the greatest games I've ever played ;D

Arboris

Oh yea, I remember that one :) The char creation was really great, playing with colors on your fighter, buying upgrades etc.

Too bad their latest version of OMF, OMF Battlegrounds, kinda was a let down.

CoffeeBob

Quote from: Def on Thu 31/03/2005 20:59:58

Ah, yes, Prince of Persia. One of the greatest games ever made, IMO. Too bad I don't have a real AdLib card anywhere so that I could play it properly. :-\
It's incredible that one person made that whole game. Incredible. Cuz Jordan did make it alone, didn't he? From what I've heard, he did. But I also heard his father composed the music and his brother was model for the prince's moves.

Ubel

Well, OMF 2097 was also made by only two guys (as far as I remember)

And on these forums there are lots of people who make games by themself ;)

Helm

COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!
WINTERKILL

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk