Death and Transfiguration

Started by Sluggo, Thu 17/06/2004 19:09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Sluggo

Download it here:
http://www.agsforums.com/games.php?category=0&action=download&game=417

You can read a little bit about it in the short games section.
It's sort of a thinking game, everything in the game means something, even if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I hope it's comprehensible.

A few comments:
The game is in 640x480 16 bit color, so I hope it doesn't go really slow. Some things are timed to the music so you might not get the full effect if you have a slower computer.

I think the music is what I'm most proud of in the game. In some instances I wrote the music first and then added stuff to fit it.

Graphics have often held me back so I just gave up drawing all together and did a bunch of photo-editing. It was actually pretty fun!

LordHart

OMG! What the hell just happened?! ??? :-[

Great music, couldn't understand the game though... it seemed to be some sort of trippy and dark story in some other language. Was the game first person?

Gilbert

Looking nice but ARRRRGH can you make an English version, I have no idea what languaue it was.

I think I'd completed the game but I couldn't understand a thing.
Spoiler

Is it the end when I walk into the doorway and be burnt?
[close]
I'm currently playing without sound, maybe it'll be better with sound on.

Sluggo

Gilbert: If I translated everything I think it would lose some its effect. It's a dead language, but you can always translate online if you don't get what's going on. Yes you finished the game, and it's ten times worse without sound. Plus there's no written dialog, it's all voice.

Also, if you didn't read the summary on the games page, it's basically about your soul's journey to Hell after committing suicide.

Pet Terry

That was mysterious, and very nice too. Reminded me a bit of 'In memoriam'. Sound and music was excellent, and nice atmosphere too.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

MoodyBlues

Uh... I'm not really sure what was going on.Ã,  Still, the graphics were good, and the music was perfect.

Spoiler
The burning music at the end creeped me out to no end.
[close]

Any idea where I could find a Latin translator on the internet?
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

Lazy Z

This game is definitely interesting, I like how it's different to most AGS games. Hell, it's different than most games, period. The music was great, and the graphics were quite good as well.

May I ask what the inspiration behind this game was? And why Latin especially? One complaint about your game has to do with the fact that the latin text was sometimes blurry, so it was difficult to read. Combine that with my somewhat limited knowledge of Latin and you've got one confused person. :P I'll replay it using those translators, hopefully I'll understand more about the game.

All in all, I enjoyed your game, it'd be cool if you released similar games in the future. ^_^

(edit)
Forgot to say, that's an interesting quiz you posted, heh. I only made it to the 5th level of hell. :P
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

Al_Ninio

Sounds VERY interesting, I'll have to download it and give it a try.

(I got to the 8th level of hell >:|)

Sluggo

Lazy Z: I think some of my inspiration for the game came from the fact that I just wanted to write some music for a game, and some of the music I had written fit best in a weird game like this. Another thing was that I have been here for awhile and never released a game, and I didn't want to waste a bunch of time making a long game. I also like strange artsy type stuff and just wanted to make something that would be hard to understand for a change. I was also sort of influenced by DG's Dada game he released awhile ago. So I guess that's how it came about.

About the Latin, I chose it because in some place like Hell, there's probably weird writing or symbols and stuff (well in my Hell at least), and Latin seems like a pretty good choice. Plus it's a dead language so pretty much everyone who plays it is going to have the same problem understanding it. And Latin is the only other language I really have any knowledge of besides English.

The text itself is blurry because I wanted to look like it was chiseled into a rock and has been sitting around for a long time, corroding and stuff.

And one more note about the Latin, if you really have no knowledge of it at all, remember the Ancient Romans didn't use the letter 'u' so sometimes a 'v' is actually a 'u' in a modern spelling. But sometimes it's really a 'v', so, um, have fun with that.

And since nobody will probably get this, the text is actually Latinized quotes from Dante's Inferno.

kl4Uz

I had to learn Lation 5 years at school and this going to be the first time this knowledge will be of any use :D

LordHart

Must not have learned it very good to be calling it Lation... ::)

Lazy Z

QuoteAnd since nobody will probably get this, the text is actually Latinized quotes from Dante's Inferno.

Damn, I should have seen that coming!

Thanks Sluggo, I always find it interesting to learn what the inspiration was behind games such as yours (whoa... bad English alert). And Dada came to mind while I was playing your game, this probably happened because both games are pretty unique, especially by AGS standards.

By the way, I'm guessing things don't really corrode in Hell, as the laws of our universe probably don't work there, but let's not nitpick here. :P
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe. All mimsy were the borogroves and the mome raths outgrabe.'

Top-5 Games

viktor

Damn this game is wierd. At first I thought what language is that !? Even though I leraned latin for about a yer. Non the less.  Great graphics and music.
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Skio

Can anyone explain to me WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO in this odd game???
I read (!) the signs, I make the hooded man moan, then what? There is no other place to click!

I going nuts!!!
Î'νδρων Επιφανων Πασα Î"η ΤαφοÏ,

Lazy Z

Look for a rock, I think it's in the room with the large door, or the one before it. When you pick it up, throw it at the window (the first one you come across).

Top-5 Games

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I suppose it would be blasphemy to request an english translation...?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Vel

I think that it is not necessayr for 5 latin sentences throughout the whole game.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Those five sentences also happen to be the only text in the game. And I, for one, would like to know what they mean. As in, enjoying them in the context of the game. I never had Latin, and although I am Portuguese and there are some similarities due to the origins of the language, I have no idea what those sentences mean. And I'd like to. After all, I play games to enjoy them, not to rush them through without knowing what they mean.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Vel

You *could* look the 20 words in the dictionary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk