Quest for Cinema Version 3.00

Started by Estaog, Thu 01/07/2004 18:17:48

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottDoom

Quote from: blackbirdâ,,¢ on Fri 02/07/2004 12:41:00
hey tanker if you wan't i'll proofraed you're next game.

Hahaha. That's great. Why? It's great because you put "raed" in bold to mark your mistake that you made on purpose, but right after that you made a real mistake that you probably didn't catch. It's "your next game," as in the game belongs to him. Not "you're next game," which would mean something like him being the next game.  :-*

Oh, and I'll try out this game when I have time just to see what it's all about. I'll wait for the updated version.

Estaog

Hey thanks Blackbird!I will tell you when i need proof reading.

Good news:
Version 1.50 is out!Fixes are on the readme.Update now.
Think about the kittens man!

http://members.aol.com/johnk0/godkills.jpg

Barbarian

Okay, I downloaded your newest version and spent a bit more time today playing it.
Thanks for making some of the fixes, game play is improved from your first released version.

Anyways, I'm stuck in some places, and not really sure what to do or where to go next.

A couple fo things to also consider. You have the "Bob" and "Vikingo" guy using the same talking color as your main character, so when you talk to them, it's hard to tell who's saying what, so you might consider having different talking text colors for different characters.

Also, when I went to the part where the big steel door is.. I was really stuck in that spot for a while, as there was no appearant way to exit that area again. However, with some repeat pixel-hunting and clicking on the right-lower-edge of the where the background was, it finally was able to exit that area. Perhaps make it easier to find a way to exit that area, as right now, it's like it's almost a dead-end with no way out.

I wasn't able to use or interact with any of the inventory items other than looking, but I guess that's how you made your game as reading previous posts here.

And, I don't know if I can't explore any more areas because of badly-designed walking areas (such as in the Steel Door area or the Bathroom), or if it's only about 9 rooms/areas to explore overall that I could find?

Oh yes, for the stairs, I needed to "use" them to walk up them, but when I want to walk back down than it says to "walk".Ã,  Perhaps should be consistant. Just seems strange that had to "use" for up and "walk" for down.

Anyways, I rexplored all the 9 areas I was able to find a few times each, and talk to the 3 NPC's I could find several times, but, basically I'm stuck and can progress no furthur unless there's something I'm missing.

Ã,  Okay, overall, the game is comical and fun, and I like some of the comments you put in, but it really needs some improvments to be more playable.Ã,  Best regards.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Estaog

Oh yes one more thing i forgot, you can pick up the inventry(use).I dont think the stairs is a major bug, but i will fix the others.I dont have much time because i am working on my site (you can visit btw) but dont worry, it will come up.

Estaog

Redwall

In the future, you might want to consider something known as "beta testing".
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

ScottDoom

Well, considering we don't have to pay for this game, we could consider this beta testing.

Although I do agree that it would be wise to give the game to a select few people to test before full release.

InCreator

QuoteIn the future, you might want to consider something known as "beta testing".

Indeed. Making a game and then improving it for ever while people have to update it every day is stupid.
It's almost like we're making the game with you together, Tanker.

Get all known bugs out, do all improvements and then - before releasing, ask few people to beta test it. This means - have them to try out whole game, find all bugs and got-stuck-places, errors and mistakes. When testing is complete too, and bugs are swept out, THEN you compile the final version and share it with greater publicity.

You need other people to do that because adventure games usually have a defined way from start to finish and ways people try to find it - are personal, so other people think differently and try alot more different things - which increases the possibilty to get stuck or fing bug in a place you would never try or expect.

Estaog

I wanted to beta-test it, but i thout it would spoil it for everyone.Il do it next time.

Phemar

Well the zip link works for me, I just downloaded:

Spoiler

1. The cinema guy's talking color is transparent, rendering the writitng illegible.
2. I don't know how to use an invemtory item with something.
3. The interface still has a lot of bugs.
4. You should switch it to  "GUIS don't change when disabled."
5. The character still walks painfully slow.
6. Why would there be a ham in your bedroom cupboard?
[close]

That's all from me, nice game so far.
Far better than my first one...

Estaog

Man thats the last time i ever made a game without beta testing it, anyways check out the new version.

Estaog

Any problems post here (bugs/ask for hints)!

Mr Jake

Im not try to play Moderator but PLEASE stop double posting

There is a Modify button in the top right  of your post, you have just over a third of the post since you registered a couple of months ago then I have got since August 2002.....

mätzyboy

Ok! I tried out your game, as promised...

Cowman is cool! The new walkspeed is fine imo. I think your disclaimer about having asked before using graphics seems fake since you have used MI grapchis for inventory, and I doubt you have asked for those...

My biggest concern though is the lack of hints of what to do next. I picked up a bunch of stuff (ham, oil, pot, idol, paper cup and maybe something more) giving me some ideas that maybe I should cook something? The NPCs were interesting but gave nothing as far as hints on what I had to do to get into the cinema...I also got stuck in the "room" with the metal door, bread, fence and so on. The hotspot for the hill is so big you can't walk out of there! I read that Barbarian managed to get out, but I didn't... I also don't think that having to use "pick up" in order to use inventory is a good way of doing it. I picked them up once, now I want to "use" them!

Still, not bad! I'ts amusing to just walk around with a man dressed as a cow! I had no problems seeing what stuff were. I only wish I had a clue of what to do... And that hidden "get someone to move in" thing tempts me aswell... Maybe you could supply me with some hints?

Cheers! /Mätzyboy

Estaog

Veriosn 3.00 is out (update all).

Some hints:
You can open the maintenance box with the library pass.
The library pass can easily dissolve.
The viking has a shop, use it!
Always try to mix the same stuff.
The handless guy needs something, help him and you might just get something back!
The idol can be used as a hook!
The tv wire is sharp.
The oil also cleans.

This should be enaugh to help.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Here's an advice from someone who made the same mistake - get ALL the bugs and fixes, even if you have to get even ten beta-testers at this late date, and release a final version. I know how frustrating it is to keep updating little things one could have avoided with a little forethought...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

lesss

Estaog

Here is a guide:
Spoiler

Open the maintenance box with the library pass, and turn on the valve.Open the drawer up on the maintenance box to get the money and the library pass.
Then fill the pot (found outside) with water (beach) and use it with the sink to boil it.
Use the library pas with itÃ,  to make it red paint.
Open the wardrobe lower door and take the meat and the oil.
Use the meat with the tv wire.
Take the string found on the toilet.
Go into the forest and pick up the idol.
Use the idol with the string to make a grappling hook.
Use the grappling hook with the bread, sorry for the walkbale area.
Use break with wire.
Use slice of ham with now sliced bread.
Give other ham to the handless guy, he gives you the cinema ticket.
use the oil with the cinema ticket to reveal the label.
You can now complete the game by giving the ticket to the cinema guy, but here is how to get the secret:
Talk with vikingo.
Combine the money with the pennies, and go talk with vikingo again.
He gives you a hand, use it with the upper wardrobe door to and then get the wall paper.
Use the balls for a funny phrase.
Use the wallpaper with the hand, give the hand to the handless guy.
He gives you a straw.
Get the cup from near the cinema.
Use the cup with the red paint, and then use the straw with it.
Finally use the cup with the burger and go talk with vikingo.
Congrats to me for completing the game for you!
[close]

Tiki

Quote from: Tanker on Mon 26/07/2004 22:59:17
Use the balls for a funny phrase.

I hope that what I'm thinking is not what happens.  Also, maybe you should make that guide a spoiler, as not every single person who uses these forums will have beaten your game.

Moox

I havent even played it, THANKS ALOT TANKER

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk