"A very special dog" (July MAGS)

Started by Sinitrena, Sun 11/07/2004 22:07:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

"A very special dog" was made for the July MAGS 2004. You are a german shepherd dog called Rex who wants to go for a walk.  On this walk his human friend Norah gets hit by a car. It's up to you to save Norah and to find the driver of the car.

You can download it here: http://people.freenet.de/Sinitrena/hund/SpecialDog.zip

Pet Terry

Hey, that's pretty nice game! Graphics are very nice and "old schoolish", nice interface and kudos for making your own save and load GUIs instead of using the custom ones. Also, "speech" is nice add, I thought it would get repetitive but it hasn't got so far... I haven't finished the game yet but I'll try to finish it as soon as possible. :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Barbarian

Hi Sinitrena. I think you've done a wonderful job with your game.
It's an interesting game to play and unique in it's own way.

However, I did encounter some problems during game play (and one nasty bug that locked things up forcing me to do a Ctrl, Alt, Delete to exit the game). I'll put the rest of my comments in hidden text below so as not to reveal too much of the game for others who haven't played it yet. (Please note, the following hidden text is meant as some of my observations and constructive critisism  ;) )

Spoiler
I found it really difficult to walk between some rooms, especially rooms requiring to enter/exit from up or down, such as the kitchen or bathroom. It's also difficult to find you way back out of the area where the man is standing by the building. I had to end up repeatedly pixel-hunting in order to finally enter or exit those rooms.

The "line" is hard to interact with, and also took a fair amount of pixel-hunting to be able to take it.

It's rather confusing about what to do at the button to cross the road. I tried all interactions with the button to no effect. Then, I think I ended up standing off to one side and "barked" then Norah pushed the button?Ã,  Anyways, no problem, so Norah get's run over by the car, nasty..Ã,  :PÃ,  then it tells me I have 4 minutes to save her. Okay, so I'm near the butcher shop, so I figure, maybe I can go in and bark at the butcher or something.. but.. as soon as I go to enter the Butcher's shop, the game gets stuck in an infinate loop message of "You have 4 minutes to save Norah" or something like that. The game won't let me do anything else at this point and is essentially locked up. I had to use Ctrl, Alt, Delete at this point to exit the game.

I managed to find the driver of the car who hit Norah. If I take too long in the garage, he comes back after a minute and will kill me. The end screen that says "Start New" or "Load" or "Quit",Ã,  the "Load" option does not work from that screen. I have to end up startinng a new game again if I want to load in a previously saved game at that point.

Also, I managed to get the police officer to follow me to the driver's house, at whice time he says "I'll take care of it.", then is that the end of the game? I end up back on the street area close to the crosswalk, and not able to go back to where the driver's house is.Ã,  And, I've tried giving the man by the building a cake, but he always says "It's too dirty.", then the cake dissapears from my inventory anways.
[close]

Overall, it's a good effort. You have some good talent and imagination.
Some of things I mentioned (above in hidden text) I found makes the playability a bit tricky at times, but with a little tweaking your game's overall enjoyment and playability could be improved.

Best regards.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

evilspacefart

I'm downloading because it has a "lick" action!  ;D

Sinitrena

Thanks for the bug report. I will change it as soon as possible.

I don't know how to hide text, so please read the next sentences only if you want to read a hint how to solve the game.

You have to give give the cake to the man, but you shouldn't give it this way. In the house there is a basket and a cloth...

Barbarian

Kool. Thanks for the tip Sinitrena.
I look forwards to seeing more projects from you.

By the way, to make text in a hidden format on the forums here, useÃ, 

[*HIDE] You text you want hidden here.[*/HIDE]

Ã,  Remove the asteriks "*" from the code to make it work. I just put them there so you could see the code.Ã,  ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Sinitrena

OK, fixed the bugs Babarian mentioned.  You can download the new version at the link in my first post.

jane

HelpppppppppÃ, 
Spoiler
I've got the cake but he eats it before I can find out what to do with it................you mention giving it to a man - is that Paul?????  If so I've tried that and no matter how quickly I do it, as soon as I get into the house he eats the cake! 
[close]

Sinitrena

Jane

Spoiler
Did you find the hospital? You have to give the cake to the man in front of the hospital. (It's the street right of the baker's shop.
[close]

wyr3x

A VERY GOOD GAME FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN EVREYTHING (OR PERPHASPS THE BIG PART) .... I TRIED THE GAME, `CAUSE IT SEEM STRANGE A DOG FOR A HERO .... AND  A QUESTION ..... WOULD YOU ACCPET A CAKE FROM A DOG ????????????????????????
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Tiki

Hold on there wyr3x!  We can read normal writing, we don't need you to use Caps Lock to help us.  Also, cut back on the smilies, please.   And I doubt that good grammar is beyond your capabilites.

Blasted trolls...

As for this game, well, what Petteri said matches my feelings exactyl

Hey, that's pretty nice game! Graphics are very nice and "old schoolish", nice interface and kudos for making your own save and load GUIs instead of using the custom ones. Also, "speech" is nice add, I thought it would get repetitive but it hasn't got so far... I haven't finished the game yet but I'll try to finish it as soon as possible.

Yup...great job!

jane

Thanks Sinitrena ...............when you say the street right of the bakers - do you mean the one pointing north....................if so I can't seem to walk any further than top of scene. Have tried walking right as far as I can, e.g past butchers and even left past policeman, but its not allowing me to go any further to find hospital..................is this a bug?

Barbarian

Hi Jane.. yes, that little street going up, North, leads to the Hospital (a building with a man in a white shirt standing in front of it).
Try walking along the right side-walk to get to it. It's one of those areas where you may have to pixel-hunt in order to get to it.

You may have to move the dog down then up a few times before you can finally go up into the area. I think the walkable area there may have been made too narrow, and at times, the dog seems to get "stuck" when trying to move up or down from between some rooms. But, with some repeat clicking of pixel-hunting, you should be able to eventually get to it.  :P

I finished the game, and it's a really nice little adventure overall.

afinch

??? After Norah gets hit I cant leave the screen at all to go left or right.Ã,  When I try the dog says "I have to save Norah" and stops.Ã, 

I love the game so far.  I love dogs ::)

Drew

Ok...blame me...
Spoiler
Where is the line?!
[close]

Drew

Oh yeah...by the way...if I bark at Paul twice...the game would crash and say something like "Trying to execute cutscene: Already in cutscene"

Sinitrena

afinch
Spoiler
I think you mean the dog says: I must try to wake Norah first. Just try to wake her. (bark at her)
[close]
Drew
Spoiler
Paul is sitting on the line, just lick him twice and he will leave the room
[close]
and thanks for the bug report. I fixed it, new version is online.

Drew

Remco

Spoiler
Am i right there are 2 endings? because i here you all talking about going to that driver, but when i gave that cake to that man in front of the hospital, i get a scene and then the gam is finished.
[close]
There is only 1 entertainer, the Q entertainer!

Sinitrena

Remco, actuelly there are not two endings. It's not possible to give the cake to the man if you haven't find the driver. I don't know how it could be possible for you. I tried it and it didn't work.  Can you tell me what exactly you were doing? It really shouldn't be possible to finish the game without finding the driver.
Nevertheless, I realised a littel bug when testing what you mentioned. Thank you, I fixed it.  New version online.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk