Melrin: Two new games.

Started by Joacim Andersson, Wed 28/07/2004 20:07:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Joacim Andersson

I've made two games for you guys to try out.

The first is called Melrin: The disciple ordeal. I've actually posted Part 1 of this game before, but this time it has been remade and contains all 4 parts.

What I've changed from the earlier post: Many of you complained about the confusion all the scrolling rooms caused so I've changed the resolution to 640x480 so there is no scrolling rooms. I've also changed the GUI to make it easier to spot all hotspots. Instead of being able to cycle through different cursor to walk, look, talk, or interact there is now only one cursor. Left click means either walk, talk or interact. Right clicking on a hotspot or other character means look at.

The cursor now also flashes when you hover a hotspot or other character.

The story: That I can't tell you because our hero Melrin finds himself in a strange land. He has no idea how he got there or what he's doing there. So your first mission is to find out why he is where he is.

Download 3.97 MB

Here's a couple of screen shots:

The second game is called Melrin: The Pendant Quest

This time Melrin has to find the royal pendant that has been stolen, and he has to do it in three days or a curse will destroy his land by fire and water.

Unlike the first Melrin game you can't die in this. The GUI is pretty much the same as in the first game, but you have two items in your inventory with special meaning. The first is your book of magic, looking at it in the inventory will bring up a list of available spells. Clicking on one spell allows you to read how you can create it. The second is your small couldron in which you drop items to create a spell. Looking at the couldron brings up a GUI that allows you to take out items you've dropped in it or allows you to create a spell (if you have the correct items needed).

This game is in hi-color 320x240.

Download 1.38 MB

Here's a couple of screen shots:

Coming soon:Ã,  Melrin 3: The Dragon Menace

Have fun.

Joacim

miryoku_81

I just wanted to compliment you on a great game!  I was really frustrated when I played the first version that you originally released...but it's very nice to see that you took everyone's comments about the original version and made so many great improvements.

I'm replaying the first game right now and I look forward to starting the second one soon.

cittymom

I really enjoyed playing the Disciple Ordeal !   I had no bugs or crashes..... just learned that one needs to save game often!
I am downloading and starting to play The Pendant Quest and I am looking forward to the completion of The Dragon Quest!

jane

Oooooo............now off to replay the first one ;D

Joacim Andersson

A demo of Melrin 3: The dragon menace is available.
See this thread

jane

Just completed them................absolutely brilliant! Can't wait for Melrin 3  ;D

cittymom

I, too am loving these Melrin games!   I am now playing the demo of The Dragon Quest.   I have one question, though:

Spoiler
  I have just completed the translator spell.  Aaron, the man, has no response when Melrin asked if he knew about any dragons.  Am I at the end of the demo?   
[close]

A comment:   I had to reconfigure screen size before playing.  The inventory/menu bar  and some text lines were running off the top of the screen.   

Joacim Andersson

Yes that's the end of the demo. He will have a reply for you in the full game.

sp

i have played melrin before and i have seen quite a few improvements  ;D
now i dont know what to do after i cross the water cause the first versionof the game has ended there
maniac mansion deluxe
enclosure
Melrin:the deciple order
melrin 2
couger's quest for freedom
7 days a sceptic
5 days a stranger
^^^^^^^^^^^
favorite games

Artphreak555

I think i found a bug in Melrin 2 ???:

Spoiler
Both before and after i get the egg from the tree stump on the island of portals i cannot interact with the stump itself to get the object i need to break open the cage after casting the metal to ice spell. I have restarted several times and still get the same result, am i doing something wrong or is this a bug??
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: sp on Wed 04/08/2004 17:12:27
i have played melrin before and i have seen quite a few improvementsÃ,  ;D
now i dont know what to do after i cross the water cause the first versionof the game has ended there
Yes well when I first released it I said it was part 1 of a 4 part game. This version contains all 4 parts, you have to get all four crystals before the game is over. I know now that I shouldn't have posted my origional Melrin game here since it was more of a demo but we all learn as long as we live. I hope you like the game anyway.

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: Artphreak555 on Wed 04/08/2004 18:57:16
I think i found a bug in Melrin 2 ???:

Spoiler
Both before and after i get the egg from the tree stump on the island of portals i cannot interact with the stump itself to get the object i need to break open the cage after casting the metal to ice spell. I have restarted several times and still get the same result, am i doing something wrong or is this a bug??
[close]
Hmmm........ I've played through that part many times so I don't know if you've found a bug or not....
Spoiler
You've picked up the egg and you've turn Angelas bars into ice but now you can't interact with the tree stump to get .... well, the correct tool ? Have I've understood you correct? If so what happens? If you indead have found a bug I really want to correct it but I've tried to play to the part you describe and I have no problem getting.... the correct tool.
[close]
Cheers.

J

Artphreak555

I have restarted two times now and i still get the same result:

Spoiler
When i examine the stump/nest all he says is that there is a birds nest. If i get the egg and examine the stump with it in my inventory he just says he already has the egg and when i click on the stump he says it is a birds nest. When i use the egg for the potion and go back he just takes another egg and makes no mention of the tree stump no matter where i click or how many times. You are correct, i have done the potion on the bars, they are ice but i cannot interact with the stump at all except to get another egg...urg.
[close]

Perhaps i should just download it again as no one else seems to have this problem???

Zaerth

I don't think downloading it again would make a difference.  I had this problem, too, but I'm not sure what eventually triggered it.  Try making a second metal to ice spell, then checking the nest.  Check it twice for good measure.  Hopefully that should work.

Joacim Andersson

I really can't recreate this problem but please try this:
Spoiler
Take the egg. Then walk back inside where the transporter is, but instead of using it walk back outside. The nest should now be gone and you can interact with the tree stump.
[close]

Artphreak555

I did both things at once so i am not sure which did it but i will just say...THANKYOU you were both right ;Dyour suggestions worked and i got my tool.

Bagpuss

Just finished Melrin 2.  Good game.  I like the larger sprites and the whole spell-making thing.  Can I make a few spelling/grammar corrections?

In the spell instructions, "yoke" should be "yolk".

Captain calls you "laddy".  Should be "laddie".

"If that armored troll would notice me I would be pulverised."  Should be "If that armored troll notices me I will be pulverised."  (Technically "If that armored troll were to notice me I would be pulverised," is more correct, but no-one actually talks like that."

Fairy: "I don't know if you will have any use of it but I thought it couldn't harm to give it to you."  Should be "... any use for it, but I thought it couldn't hurt ..." or "... couldn't do any harm ..."

Joacim Andersson

Thanks for the grammar corrections. I'm glad you didn't mention anything about the bartender since he speaks that way ;)

Bagpuss

Don't worry, I guessed about the bartender.  In fact I rather liked him.  Reminds me of an old Two Ronnies sketch (if you don't know what that means, don't worry, you're not missing a whole lot).

I think there were a couple more similar problems, perhaps I should play through again and pick them out.  When I can be bothered.

One thing I'll say is watch your commas.  The word "but" always needs a comma in front (unless you're using it to mean "except" as in "all but one").  Also, "Yes, you can," "No, I wasn't", and similar phrases requite commas (I've a feeling you missed at least one out).

I look forward to the third Melrin game.

wyr3x

mmmmm downloading ... seems to be a very good one ...
waiting for the AG of the century .....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk