STAR WARS Shadows of the Empire: Graphic Adventure [HUNTING THE HUNTER video]

Started by Dusk, Fri 03/09/2004 11:58:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusk

[03/08/2012 - Hunting the Hunter prologue gameplay video on YT]
It's been a long time, isn't it?
Well, just to show that we're still alive and the project is paused but not dead (we've put too much time and energies to just abandon it - we *have* to complete and release it someday), we uploaded on YT a gameplay video: it's the beginning of "Hunting the Hunter".
It's a small part of what we released to Italian beta testers around three years ago.
We hope that you enjoy it!

So, click here to watch the video on YT!

[05/08/2009 - Hunting the Hunter portion given to italian beta testers]

About a year after the last update of this post, I'm here to tell you that the first part of our game has been released to italian beta testers.

It's our first "big" release, after the old tech demo and the prologue (to italian testers) about a year ago.
We are now waiting for feedback and of course we would appreciate any of you AGS guys (able to understand italian, of course) joining the beta testing, so if interested just step here.

If you want, you can support our recently opened facebook page, we'll post some minor news and background material there, at least until we go for a site renewal.

So, SOTE is *alive*, slowly approaching the complete public release.
Trust us: we worked too long and hard to abandon the project, so, someday, the complete, international release will happen. :)

Dusk & Hexence
(yeah, we changed "Death Star Games" to something less fan-boyish... :))

[08/08/2008 - Hunting the Hunter screenshots]
Isn't 08/08/08 a nice date to show you a pair of screenshots from Hunting the Hunter?

Hunting the Hunter screenshot 1
Hunting the Hunter screenshot 2

I hope that you like it as I do! :)
Well, since more three years are passed from the Tech Demo release, just a few words about the state of our project:
first, SOTE is *not* dead as often they ask us. We had many work/studying slow downs in the past years, but we're not gonna let the project die. And in this August we're working passionately to complete the first episode of the full game, that we named "Hunting the Hunter".
While it covers just part of the SOTE storyline, it should feature some hours of gameplay (with a pair of little surprises).

We hope to start the beta testing/translation phase in a few weeks, so if you're interested in helping just step into our forums and let us know.  ;)

I hope to post some other news in the near feature!

Bye,
Dusk & DSgames

[26/05/2005 - Tech Demo 1.1 online]
So, did you like Episode III? We did :)
By the way, a quick update to announce that the Tech Demo 1.1 is online for download... http://dsgames.guerrestellari.net/sotedownload.php

the website hasn't been updated yet because BobaFonts is busy with Episode III stuff for guerrestellari.net ... by the way, the archive in online (a tar.bz2 one, use winrar on windows and "tar xjf sote_adventure_tech_demo_1.1.tar.bz2" on linux).

Who should really download it?
- Linux users, because it contains fixed scripts and the updated engine by EvilTypeGuy, and the game doesn't crash anymore.
- German players,  thanks to Dennis "Hurrican" Pauler translation :)

We're a bit busy with work/university at this time, but work on SOTE (slowly) goes on.
Bye! Thanks for the 6000 and more downloads of the SOTE Tech Demo!

[01/01/2005 - Tech Demo released!]

Finally, the SOTE tech demo download. The site hasn't been updated yet, but the archive is there, ready to be downloaded!

http://dsgames.guerrestellari.net/sotedownload.php

Epic new year from Death Star Games - we hope you enjoy the game! : )

Mods: the tech demo is in practice a complete short-game... can we insert it in the AGS Games page?

[18/12/2004 - Tech Demo beta ready]
Ok people, we (almost) did it. :)
We released a first italian-only beta of the SOTE Tech Demo to a limited number of testers a few days ago, and we plan to upload a new beta as soon as the English translation will be complete. We fixed what we could, but we still have a pair of problems, maybe engine related (we'll ask in the Tech Forum as soon as the beta2 is uploaded).

We won't publish a download link here on the forums because we'd like to have a bugfree public release, I hope you understand us. By the way, if anyone of you wants to be added to the tester mailing list to help us, this is a good moment to ask.

Two updated screen shots for you:
(I remove the old ones to keep the page loading quick.)
Bye ;)

tech demo screenshot 1
tech demo screenshot 2

[03/09/2004 - first announcement]
I'm very happy to finally introduce on the AGS Forums "Star Wars Shadows of the Empire: Graphic Adventure".

We're working on it since April and now we have enough stuff to introduce our work, including about 40 backgrounds and a working multi-character personalized interface that required many hours and many hundred lines of code.
Today we've opened the SOTE:GA website, that I hope you'll give a look, where you can find more info.
I hope we'll release a tech demo soon and a game playable demo around Christmas, but nothing is sure at the moment.
The plot is an expansion to the union of the Shadows of the Empire book/comic book/action videogame, and in our plans it will be a really long game.
In the future (and on the Critics Lounge forum, of course) I'd really appreciate the help of the AGS community regarding any critics, ideas, suggestions about the game and, as the AGS scripter of the project, discussion about improving the code (I'll post some stuff soon, on the Tech Forum). Help with eventual poor english on the website (writing from Italy :)) is also really appreciated. Thankyou :)

Here you are two screenshots, we don't put them on the website because characters and objects you see in it in are temporary/incomplete... and may change completely, but.. better that nothing :)

[old screenshots removed]

Krazy

My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Mozesh

Krazy

Are those backgrounds original cause they look awesome.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Dusk

Quote from: Krazy on Fri 03/09/2004 12:07:05

Our artist uses his own technique of graphical-editing, a mixture of photo-editing, digital coloration, photocomposition of pre-esistent images with additional stuff painted pixel by pixel, and obviovlsy many filters... So, maybe they aren't 100% original, but hey, I think they look awesome too :)

By the way, thanks for the immediate feedback! :)

Krazy

Quote from: Dusk on Fri 03/09/2004 12:15:29

Our artist uses his own technique of graphical-editing, a mixture of photo-editing, digital coloration, photocomposition of pre-esistent images with additional stuff painted pixel by pixel, and obviovlsy many filters... So, maybe they aren't 100% original, but hey, I think they look awesome too :)

By the way, thanks for the immediate feedback! :)

Hey that's what forums are for. Good luck with the game!
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Barbarian

Looks like you guys have put a lot of thought and work into it so far. Good job and I wish you great success for your project.

I used to be a real Star-Wars fan, and sort of still am (though I'm more of a fan of the first original three movies). If you need any advice / input from an older-timer Star Wars fan, just ask.

Looking forwards to seeing your completed game in action.

*May the Force be with you. Ã, ;)
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Chronos

Same here, i've always waned to see Star Wars fan games and the backgrounds look great!
Good luck with that  project ;)

Krazy

Quote from: Chronos on Fri 03/09/2004 12:56:50
Same here, i've always waned to see Star Wars fan games and the backgrounds look great!
Good luck with that  project ;)

As if LEC's 5 SW games a year weren't enough.... Still as I said this looks cool, I'll definantly play it! It'll probobly be better than most of LEC's crap star wars money makers!
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Blackthorne

Looks great!

Though I will say this:  KEEP THIS UNDER THE RADAR.  LEC has lawyers with itchy trigger fingers, man.

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

Dusk

Quote from: Barbarian on Fri 03/09/2004 12:19:30
I used to be a real Star-Wars fan, and sort of still am (though I'm more of a fan of the first original three movies). If you need any advice / input from an older-timer Star Wars fan, just ask.
Thankyou! Your Star Wars knowledge will be obiovlsy useful in testing phase. By the way, we prefer the original three movies too.
*May the Force be with you.  ;)
Always ;)
D.

Dusk

Quote from: Blackthorne519 on Fri 03/09/2004 13:31:50
Looks great!
Though I will say this:  KEEP THIS UNDER THE RADAR.  LEC has lawyers with itchy trigger fingers, man.

Thanks. Yes, we thought that... we wrote the disclaimer on the website trying to be clear about the fact that SOTE is a no-profit project and that we don't want to damage LEC and Star Wars copyright owners in any way... let's hope they'll let us finish the game.

Darth Mandarb

This looks pretty promising.

I too am a HUGE (old school) Star Wars fan.  I was working on my own Star Wars game awhile back ...  but anyway, if you need any help (as Barbarian said) let me know I'd be happy to lend my [geeky] knowledge to your cause.

The force looks strong with this one ...

AGA

Right, that's it, anymore use of Force clichés in this thread will be dealt with severely! :P

Mr Jake

Master of the sith AGA is. Dark force within him there be.

Im not a great SW fan but this game looks great! I cant wait for it.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: AGA on Fri 03/09/2004 16:42:21
Right, that's it, anymore use of Force clichés in this thread will be dealt with severely! :P
Anger, fear, agression ... the darkside are they.  Remember AGA, once you travel down the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny.

Privateer Puddin'

What ya gonna do? Force people to stop?

Sorry.

AGA

If you guys weren't slightly amusing, your posts would be SO deleted.

Dusk

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 03/09/2004 15:23:19
I too am a HUGE (old school) Star Wars fan.  I was working on my own Star Wars game awhile back ...
Ehehe, I know, I read about it and saw your nice cartoon-like graphics searching "star wars" in the forums ; )
We're waiting you to finish it someday, uh! : )

but anyway, if you need any help (as Barbarian said) let me know I'd be happy to lend my [geeky] knowledge to your cause.

Great, thankyou :)
(Uh, funny to read this Star Wars speech here on the Forums... lol...)

TheJBurger

This really looks like a great project you've got here.  :D

I love the way Luke blends in with the fantastic graphics, and the interface looks very detailed too.

It really looks like you guys know what you're doing here.

This game looks really good, keep up the good work.  :)

Mats Berglinn

Now this is a game I'm looking foward to because I'm a Star Wars fan too (and unlike some of the forum I love ALL the Star Wars movies).

Dusk: By the way, if you want to I can help you by sending over some music-pieces from the movies (I don't got all of them but I got some) and also I've got some sound effects. If you want just tell me and I'll send them straight to you.

AGA: It's not very nice to bully with others because of you don't like guys say "May the Force be with you". If you don't like it, don't delete the posts, just ignore them. The forum rules don't say anything that it's not allowed to say such things, so you don't have authority to do it. If you really think so, I may have a little word with CJ about it. Hehehe...

Scummbuddy

you need to understand sarcasim. in his first post, he put the little smiley face with the tounge sticking out, which is the first form of sarcasim
then in his second post, he wrote 'SO' instead of just 'so' which put an emphasis on that word, which also brought it to sarcasim.

plus anyways, he is a moderator, and CJ has entrused in him to do his duty, and if he thought that this thread was going way off topic, he has the right to delete posts to keep the forum clean.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Moox

jason

NightQuest

WOW  :o :o :o WOOOOOOOO0000000ooooooow F*&kin Hell I CANT WAIT I will beta if you need it (nightquest2@msn.com).
Plz mail me if you wish for a inthusiastic beta tester or if you have news on it please.

Elianto

From the preview your work seems great!!! Go on please.... If you need beta tester speaking italian and english, here I'm.

Good to see that also good italian production are coming up  ;D

Dusk

Quote from: Mats Berglinn on Fri 03/09/2004 21:09:43
Dusk: By the way, if you want to I can help you by sending over some music-pieces from the movies (I don't got all of them but I got some) and also I've got some sound effects. If you want just tell me and I'll send them straight to you.
Thanks, but we already have some Gbytes of Star Wars music and sfx :)
But if we can't find something particular in our collection I'll remeber to ask you!

AGA: It's not very nice to bully with others because of you don't like guys say "May the Force be with you". If you don't like it, don't delete the posts, just ignore them.

I think/hope he was just joking... :)

AGA

Yes. You see, Mats, there's this thing called 'humour'...

Haddas

Krazy

My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Czar

Quotethere's this thing called 'humour'...

Hmm, can you eat that?
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

DinghyDog

No, I think it's the weird liquid stuff in your eyeballs.....

-DD
It's yer owld pal Dinghy Dog!!

Sam.

is that a photo luke or drawn? can we see a character view of him like full frontal jedi action?

weeee, star wars
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Joseph DiPerla

I really cant wait for yours and Darth Mandarbs games. This looks sweet! Please continue your work.

JD
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

LeChimp

it looks M*therF*cking Awsome! ;D

and i even dont like Star Wars that much

Pft!

Im a big fan! This game looks outstanding! please finish it!  8)

Iwan

I just finished watching the new trilogy box set so i'm pretty exited about this :).

Pft!

Quote from: Alpha on Wed 22/09/2004 17:20:31
I just finished watching the new trilogy box set so i'm pretty exited about this :).

Yeah, Im about to buy it now. But I hope this game comes through.  8)

Dusk

Just a quick post to show an example of SOTE sprite art...  it's a half-size and compressed jpeg of the original bmp of our R2-D2 loops - I hope you like it :)

Pft!

BobaFonts

Usually, updates are posted on our website. But sometimes we're gonna share parts of our work with you here to get instant feedback and criticisms (hey, seriously: aren't you gonna criticize our sprites? I mean, they're soooo cute  ;D ).

As stated on the webpage, any semiprofessional pixel artist with a good knowledge of Star Wars who's interested in helping with sprite animation can be considered to join our team. This adventure MUST come through, I promised myself some years ago.
It was first envisioned in 1989 after playing Indy Last Crusade and later took the form of Shadows of the Empire, as an unofficial (but absolutley faithful) adaptation of that adventurous and amusing story. Now, after 15 years, and thanks to Chris Jones's magic tool, the dream can come true. A motivated team has been formed and we're determined to face the hard work.
Now if you'll excuse me, there are a couple of backgrounds I must finish...

Darth Mandarb

If you want feedback and criticisms on the sprites (or any artwork) post it in the Critics Lounge.

This thread (board) is just for keeping people up to date on the progress of the game you're working on!

It's good to know you're still working on this.Ã,  I am a huge Star Wars fan ... if I had more time I'd definately help.Ã,  But I'm sorry ... I just don't have the time. :(

But still ... keep it up!Ã,  I like what you've got so far.

BobaFonts

Still working on it? You can count on it, Dark Lord ;)
We're not gonna give up. The Force is definitely with us; it's the Force of the love for Star Wars and for classic graphic adventures. Seeing the two thing merge together is a dream we want to realize. LucasArts never did it; we must assume they weren't interested in doing it since adventures cease to be a commercially profitable game genre. Well, let's do it by ourselves, as a no-profit unofficial fangame.

Although only 40 backgrounds have been completed and the work on the sprites is at an early phase, we go on tirelessly.

Iv4n

From what I've seen so far I can't criticize you in any way. But I just got big expectations about your game  ::)..

wyr3x

By the way, dusk, is your "drawing-man" ... god ?
waiting for the AG of the century .....

Dusk

Quote from: wyr3x on Sat 02/10/2004 15:09:57

Naaah, is BobaFonts, two posts up...  :)
By the way, we're working hard on a Tech Demo.  If all goes the right way, it will be released at the end of this month, as an italian/english win/linux compatible archive.
Bye ;)

Krazy

Quote from: Dusk on Sat 02/10/2004 18:39:46

Naaah, is BobaFonts, two posts up...  :)
By the way, we're working hard on a Tech Demo.  If all goes the right way, it will be released at the end of this month, as an italian/english win/linux compatible archive.
Bye ;)

Damn, I was hoping you knew god cause he sure could help me with my graphics.
My Stuffs:
Tumblr

Joseph DiPerla

I was just reloading the page to see the different Random screenshots, and they look great!!! I cant wait for the Demo.
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

BobaFonts

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Fri 08/10/2004 16:14:11
I was just reloading the page to see the different Random screenshots, and they look great!!! I cant wait for the Demo.

Happy you like them, but you're not gonna see *that much* in the upcoming tech demo; there will not be so many locations. By its own nature, it's only an early technical demonstration set up to show the engine, with three or four rooms, a few dedicated puzzles and a funny tutorial for the interface.
It definitely contains a massive dose of pure nonsense, far more than the real finished game, which still will be filled with humour (ranging from the tone of Beneath a Steel Sky, serious and funny at the same time, to some "Monkey" moments).

Konwinn

I just wanted to say that this looks freakin awesome!!!Ã,  I can't wait!Ã,  Ã, Keep up the good work guys.Ã,  :)

BobaFonts

Just a little update to show you some of our work in preparation for the SOTE Tech Demo we're gonna release soon. We plan to complete the demo for Halloween for a group of playtesters: if you want to help us testing it please write to dsgames@guerrestellari.net. One week later the demo will be publicly released.

This is an animation of Luke Skywalker -in his Shadows of the Empire outfit- walking in side view.

Chicky

Mephistophilis

Is it just me or is his head just a tiny bit big? I've never been good at proportion but...
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Scummbuddy

well, if you imagine that his hand is not a fist, but out, and you were to put it to his face, then i would say that his hand covers his face, which would mean to me that at least his hands and head are in proportion.

wonderful animation. it has its own style. its odd to look at. the hands look sooo real. very nice subtle movements all around. for something so detailed, it was needed.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

splat44

Quote from: Dusk on Sat 02/10/2004 18:39:46

Naaah, is BobaFonts, two posts up...Ã,  :)
By the way, we're working hard on a Tech Demo.Ã,  If all goes the right way, it will be released at the end of this month, as an italian/english win/linux compatible archive.
Bye ;)

Ah, I see a demo coming up. That great, I'm wondering can you give us a progress report or what is being done and add that to your original post (First one)?

Dusk

Quote from: splat44 on Sun 24/10/2004 03:21:18
Ah, I see a demo coming up. That great, I'm wondering can you give us a progress report or what is being done and add that to your original post (First one)?

The original post will be updated soon with an "official"  Tech Demo announcement,  we have to decide a pair of things about it first :)

By the way, talking about progress, my scripting proceeds slowly but well, BobaFonts is ultimating the Luke and R2 sprites and the objects/items needed for the demo, and Prof Epic, who tries to apper too busy to post here :D, is reviewing the demo "script" based on a completely fool idea we decided all together to base the demo on, a night on IRC...

Joseph DiPerla

Yeah the body isn't completely proportioned. His head and hands are the right size, but I think he needs to have more weight personally. Luke was sort of built in Empire Strikes back and this game takes place after...

JD

Mabou

Quote from: Dusk on Sun 24/10/2004 11:53:12
and Epic, who tries to apper too busy to post here :D, is reviewing the demo "script" based on a completely fool idea we decided all together to base the demo on, a night on IRC...

What?! Pal, "you disappoint me". It's just... well... ok, I'm too busy to be busy!

BTW, I am a member of the team and I will be the writer of many texts of SOTE, too (check our page for details :)) . In these days, i'm (errr... slowly) working on a final synopsis for the tech demo (with the certain help of Master BobaFonts and DuskÃ,  :=). If the dialogues are bad, you will know who is the responsibleÃ,  :P.

No kidding: thanks to all of you, for your support and kind words. :)

Joseph DiPerla

Hey Mabou, not to go off subject, but are you a Zak McKracken fan?

BobaFonts

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Mon 25/10/2004 03:09:29
Hey Epic, not to go off subject, but are you a Zak McKracken fan?

We all are.
Zak is the first graphic adventure I played, it's the game I had in mind -in terms of gameplay- when I envisioned the structure of Shadows of the Empire.
It's very long, maybe the longest of all.
It's quite hard.
You can swap up to four characters.
You travel a lot from one corner of the world to the other.
You get more jokes you can possibly ask for.

Those are features SOTE will definitely have. 300 estimated rooms, 50 already created, at least 40 main characters (circa 200 estimated), a very long plotline (70% preexistent, 30% original but already written), 4 swapable characters (Luke, Leia, Dash Rendar, Lando, plus their sidekicks following them with A.I. routines by Dusk) sometimes playing and solving puzzles in team mode, travels throughout the galaxy, more jokes than you would expect from a "serious" game.

But SOTE has many things Zak hadn't (thanks God), as dialogues. Dialogues, written by Epic, have a crucial role in solving many puzzles. And a modern GUI we're quite proud of.

As you can see, it's not something we can accomplish in a couple of months. We're already happy with the work so far, but there's a lot of it still to do, especially in the sprites department, since I'm alone working on them and on the backgrounds.

Mabou

Of course! Who is not? :)
Anyway, i very much admire Zak's storyline and puzzles (my first graphic adventure too! :)) but i think that AG system was too young in 1989 and Zak had 'just' a great potential. I prefer the immortal Monkey saga (especially MI2), Indy Atlantis, The Dig, Grim Fandango and i love Jensen's script (Gabriel Knight) and Broken Sword 3's screenplay (yes! BS...3!). The Last Express, Sanitarium, Syberia, Black Dahlia were very beautiful games, too.

With SOTE, we'll possibly try to move to a classic Star Wars script, with many funny moments - Sw movies' style-, that have much in common with Indy's adventures. More Star Wars and Indy, less Monkey and Day of Tentacle is our objective. Hope we'll succeed :).

For the Tech Demo, don't count on those 'rules' :). Eh eh...

Joseph DiPerla

Cool!!! I am glad to see that there are tons of fans of Zak McKracken. Zak is my all time favorite game period! I am actually awaiting these other projects in development.

Actually I was one of the Italian Translators for the "New adventures of Zak McKracken".

Its great to see that you are making a ton of progress on this and that you are mimicking a lot of features from the Zak Game.

Keep it up.

Buon proseguimento!

JD

Walrus

Mabou

Quote from: Joseph DiPerla on Mon 25/10/2004 21:48:49
Cool!!! I am glad to see that there are tons of fans of Zak McKracken. Zak is my all time favorite game period! I am actually awaiting these other projects in development.

Actually I was one of the Italian Translators for the "New adventures of Zak McKracken".

ahhh! yes i downloaded Zak2 one year ago, i think. It is good, but i've never finished it 'cause i was stucked and i didn't find any walkthroughs. Gee!
Anyway, congratulations for your translation :). I write on the italian newsgroup of Graphic Adventure, do you know somebody there? :)

However, the tech demo of SOTE is almost done. The synopsis is quite completed, so the items design and sprites too. We are very excited for that. :D.

Dusk

Quote from: evilspacefart on Wed 17/11/2004 00:06:08
release the tech demo now!

Ehm, we'd like to, but it's not ready yet :)
script and dialogues: 100%; graphics and sprites: 90%; ags programming: 70%

I'm busy in this period, but I've to script some stuff *essential* for a TECH demo, and a pair of animations by BobaFonts are "in progress".
We hope that another 10-15 days of work should be enough for all.

bye, and thankyou for asking! :)
D

hms

VERY awesome.....

And its looks fun too.

But when you done so much out of the background do somthing about the INV
Item /I dont know if you are'nt finisch yet...(Whidt the INV items i mean)
-------------------------------------------------------
It takes 42 muscles to look angry, but it only takes 6 to slap the idiot down!

BobaFonts

TECH DEMO released for selected playtesters! See the updated top post. English version coming very soon.

-------------------------
CONTENT ADVISORY
-------------------------
This Tech Demo contains an insane amount of gags. Take it carefully. And
it's packed with an even more insane amount of quotes from classic
adventures and movies. When you don't laugh, it's not our fault: it's
yours.Ã,  :P ::)
The final game will feature a more subtle humour.

BobaFonts

ladies and gentlemen...

STAR WARS Shadows of the Empire: Graphic Adventure
TECH DEMO 1.0 final

you can download it here:
http://dsgames.guerrestellari.net/sotedownload.php

Secret Fawful

This is funny. But it's also 80MBs fully unzipped. How big is this game gonna be??? :o

BerserkerTails

Wow, definatley a very professional looking demo you have there. The interface is quite nice.

I hope that you continue to work on this game, as it's definitley now near the top of my list of games I'm waiting for.

Any chance for a 2005 release?
I make music.

Dusk

Fawfulhasfury: SOTE is gonne be HUGE. It's mainly because it has lots of hi-res sprites, that AGS keeps as uncompressed bitmaps. But the download sizes should remain affordable :)

BerserkerTails: we're planning SOTE to be a *long* game, but we're thinking of "splitting" it into separated episodes. So, yes, we hope that there will be 2005 releases.

Thankyou all :)

Chicky

Awesome stuff!I Love it! The animations, the backgrounds the amount of effort that has gone into the game, it's GREAT!

Cant wait 'till the finished game :)

Iwan

That was a great laugh! Great backgrounds and the animations were perfect!

sedriss

Awesome indeed! Been waiting forever for a demo. Now go finish the whole thing!
By the time you read this you've already read it.

BobaFonts

We're very proud of your response. No: we're happy. Really really happy.
Now... spread the voice!  ;D ;D ;D

asd

wow! That tech demo is awesome! Though I still can't find the blue cup ???...

P

I can't find the cup either but so far I think this tech demo is AWESOME. Ã, I love the humor, I hope you don't settle it too much.

splat44

Hi,

Neither I can't find blue Cup. I know it is in the sand.

So far, I was able retrieve scissor using teleport or that round circle (cursor thing), Got curtain and cut with scissor.

In storage room, I opened box and saw some usefull things, one of is shovel. It is only logical that we should able to pick up and use it on sand but I can't.

Excellent demo.

henk

Keep take from the chest and after 4 times you take a box out the chest.
In box are the sensor. Found batterys for the sensor on the door from the dispender , use the tie from the curtain with the sensor and here im stuck ??
Hang the sensor on ??? and what to do next ??

jb2815

>Hang the sensor on ??? and what to do next ??

I'm guessing its the curtain rail so it can work like an amber fish on a string, but how do you get the curtain rail down? hmmm

splat44

Just take curtain,

After seeing bar,

Speak to R2 "if something usefull in there". You will able to seeing something on R2, After seeing bar, use Teleport on R2. Speak about how great he is" You will able to speak about bar. Finally use teleport on Him once again

henk,

Click on Box, use battry on sensor, go out, use bar sensor and if you were following R2 hint then you know where find cup. I did it. If you still fail keep on trying on various spots.

Iv4n

I've experience a serious bug. It happend when I run the game for a second time.
After skipping the introduction, when I click with the right mouse button, the cursor goes crazy and moves to the right edge of the screen. So this makes this tech demo unplayable.  :(

splat44

Hi,

I don't have that problem and I even tried using your example to trap that bug and no problems so far. The problem has something to do with your computer.

Try delete that game files from your folder and install it once again.

I hope that help

Dusk

Quote from: Iv4n on Sat 08/01/2005 08:31:22
...when I click with the right mouse button, the cursor goes crazy and moves to the right edge of the screen. So this makes this tech demo unplayable.  :(

??? this has never been reported, by both beta-testers and players...
Sincerely, I think that's a your problem :/
A CJ often says, try installing updated DirectX (and video/audio drivers).

Let us know :)
D.

Iv4n

Yeah It was my problem. Now - sloved.
Anyway, it was the best tech demo I've ever played. Thanx

henk

Quote from: splat44 on Thu 06/01/2005 21:36:06

henk,

Click on Box, use battry on sensor, go out, use bar sensor and if you were following R2 hint then you know where find cup. I did it. If you still fail keep on trying on various spots.

Thx solved now :)

Arrakis81

Impressive... most impressive...
The Emperor will be pleased.
Double Star Entertainment HOME

Skunthrope

Reptile

About time someone made a star wars adventure game. Great Demo, I love everything about it. Shake my hand.  ;)
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

PsychicHeart

Wow, a Star Wars game that isn't crap.
Also, the fact that your game isn't a dead set bludge like more recent LEC SW games like that crap Lego bs is a big plus.
By the way. Privateer Puddin, is your pic by any chance affiliated with Horrible Histories?
Formerly known as Flukeblake, Flukezy etc.

Darth Mandarb

From the Forum Rules:

[color=000055]DO NOT dig up old threads!![/color]
If you're interested in an old thread about a project don't post asking about the progress.  Send a PM to the game's author.  If the project has been cancelled and/or abandoned there's no point in bumping the thread!

I swear to God the ability to read and follow rules is being extinguished from the human race ...

Dusk

Thankyou all. Sorry Darth Mandarb. Seen that the thread has been bumped, I feel that's a good moment to give a quick report about SOTE progress.
We're (a bit slowing) continuing the game design and translating the sub-engine in AGS27 OOscripting and modules. If someone is interested, there's some previously-unpublished stuff on SOTE on the latest TheInventory Issue. A German translation of the Tech Demo has been completed and a 1.1 version of the Tech Demo, including it and a fixed Linux engine (there was a crash under Linux at the end of the demo) should be published soon. I'll write a quick note when it will be uploaded on our website. Thankyou for the attention and write you soon. :)

Privateer Puddin'

Quote from: Flukeblake on Thu 14/04/2005 06:16:04
By the way. Privateer Puddin, is your pic by any chance affiliated with Horrible Histories?

No, it's from a scene in Family Guy

Dusk

Bumping thread - Tech demo 1.1 released, I updated the "main" post of the thread :)

Mozesh

QuoteSo, did you like Episode III?
Yes I will when I see it  ;)
I'll download the tech demo 1.1 right away.

Dusk

bump!
We're alive. Slowly going on, but this time with a little preview to show thanks to BobaFonts: Introducing Tatooine.
Also, we recently reached the 10000 downloads quota, and we are proud of it. We're using a web-application I developed (we called it AGS TRACKER) to do distributed game design while keeping order with the dozens of rooms, items, object, hotspots and the interaction among them, involving actions and phrases.
Automatic script generation for the recurrent actions is in development. I have some topics to discuss on the Tech Forum to develop the Tracker in the best way (I think) it can be done, hoping it will become a useful game-design-tool for all the AGS developers.
We hope to release the AGS tracker around this Christmas.
If you're courious, this is a screenshot of the tracker

Bye!

D.

Mats Berglinn

I noticed that one of the screenshots had a close up on a picture of a Jedi. He really looks a lot like Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan's master. Is it really him?

BobaFonts

Yep  ;D
Qui-Gon is going to make an appearance. That's one of the elements we're incorporating into Shadows' storyline thanks to the Prequels.

ElementalWhite

Hey I can't believe I found someone else interested in making STARWARS adventure games!! I'm a huge fan... Like owning all the movies fan, and the clone wars cartoons, and the various guides, and the paperbacks, and the comic books.... You get the Idea. I should be able to help if you if there is something you don't know about starwars.  (P.S. I have exstensive knowledge of the EU expanded universe.)

Sorry
It's
So
Long.
"The Elemental War is coming..."

Dusk

bump!
SOTE goes on, and this time we decided to update this topic because we thought that some AGS friends would have liked to watch this flash movie that we recently posted in the updates on the game website.

In these hot august days what could be better than watching a planet with ice everywhere and snow falling?  :D

Dusk & DSgames

deadsuperhero

Awesome update! I'm really looking forward to the final product!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

jedispy

This project looks promising.  I'm actually working on a very similar project.  It's a Shadows of the Empire mod for the action game Star Wars Jedi Academy.  It's awesome to see similar interest in the same topic.

I'm all about artistic liberty (using a lot of it myself in our rendition of the storyline).  I am curious about one thing though.  In the SOTE story, Luke made his lightsaber crystal synthetically on Tatooine, never stopping by Ilum.  Am I correct in assuming that you're going to have him go to Ilum and get a natural crystal rather than synthesizing it?

Good luck on your game.  I am exciting to play the final product.

Dusk

Yes, you're correct :)
The lightsaber construction will be a quite typical adventure game "find and get the needed pieces in various places and then put the whole thing together", and Ilum is the place where you'll have to get a crystal.

I already found your mod-site searching for SOTE stuff, and I was thinking that maybe we could exchange/share some similar work someday.... models etc.
If you're interested we can continue talking about it privately (dsgames@guerrestellari.net).

Good luck with your project too! :)

Iv4n

Hey, since episodic games are so popular today, why not release every finished planet on a separate episode? This way we won't  have to wait sooo long for releasing the full game.

Dusk

Quote from: Iv4n on Tue 19/09/2006 20:27:14
Hey, since episodic games are so popular today, why not release every finished planet on a separate episode? This way we won't  have to wait sooo long for releasing the full game.

Mmm yes, we already decided to divide the game into various parts. But parts aren't bound to planets, it wouldn't have been possible to follow the story, dividing in that way...

By the way, each part is... huge to finish. Sorry :)

D.

Dusk

I've seen messy scripts you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Tatooine.
I watched particle effects glitter in the dark near an Ord Mantell gate.
All those things will be lost in time... like spam in our tagboard... if I don't decide that's time... to... BUMP TOPIC!  :P

(gotta get some sleep)

Jared

Wow, this is the most awesome-looking game I've seen here. If I was confident in anything but writing dialogue and basic scripting I'd offer a hand. As it is, I just look forward to playing it.

Darth Mandarb

Excellent news Dusk!!!

You should keep the old screenshots up (as links) so people can see the progression the game has made!

Keep up the good work!

Redwall

Although I'm not sure inciting comparisons between Blade Runner and Star Wars is the best idea ;), it's always great to hear projects like this are still in progress.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Jon

This looks great Dusk! I'd be happy to BETA for you if you like.

Dusk

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Fri 08/08/2008 14:36:29
You should keep the old screenshots up (as links) so people can see the progression the game has made!
Mm yes, it's what I did ("tech demo screenshot 1", "tech demo screenshot 2" links)... there's an old "old screenshots removed" at the end of the post but it's not from the yesterday edit, I think it refers to some ooooooooold screenshots that I can't remember of  ???
I can see that's not very clear, I promise to clean up a bit at the next edit :)

Thanks everybody for the feedback  ;D

D.

monkey0506

It's truly wonderful how many people find it important to start their post here, "I'm not a Star Wars geek, okay? I promise! Don't call me one. Please."

This game looks somewhat promising. Please finish it. :=

SuperDre

Looking forward to playing this adventure, as I'm a fan of the original trilogy... (not the new ones, they suck)..

linkin182

Hey I was just wondering what do you use to unpack a .tar.tar file? ???

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Dusk

Seeing that the thread has already been bumped, here you are some news:
beta testing of the italian version of the (part of the) game we released started a few days ago and is going well :)

If someone here understands italian and wants to join, just say "hi" in this thread
http://sote.freeforums.org/hunting-the-hunter-prologo-ita-call-for-testers-t16.html and register on the bug tracking platform.

Bye ;)
D.

Dusk

Hi, this post is mainly for italian users potentially watching the thread.

On december 7 (next sunday) we'll have a little talk about Star Wars: SOTE and fangame development at the Gamecon, in Naples.

Detailed info (in italian) are available on our website.

Anyone around is welcome to come and sai "hi!" :)

We'll talk about SOTE development and show some "behind the scenes" stuff.
I think that we'll publish some material on our website after the convention, so give it a look next week, if interested :)

bye bye!

D.

Iv4n

Great! Actually this game is the most looking forwarded one for me.

Dusk

bump!

Another (this time, consistent) italian-only beta is out! Details and new screenshots in the first post :)

bye ;)
D.

Takyon

Can't wait for it's release, the demos didn't work for me though, just extracted an OUT file.
ghost.

Dusk

Quote from: JJ on Thu 06/08/2009 14:48:50
Can't wait for it's release, the demos didn't work for me though, just extracted an OUT file.

Sure that it works, just extract with winrar or 7zip.
If you get a .tar file after the first extraction, extract the .tar too.

I think that we'll repackage the demo as a self extractor someday, it's incredible how many people hated the tar.bz2 we choosed to have linux permissions stored and get the game ready for playing after extraction on linux too :(

Dualnames

Quote from: Dusk on Wed 05/08/2009 01:59:18
bump!

Another (this time, consistent) italian-only beta is out! Details and new screenshots in the first post :)

bye ;)
D.

Wooohoo, this looks really professional!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dusk

*Bump!*
Is SOTE slowly coming back after a long break? Maybe it is!
I've just edited the original post with the following update:

[03/08/2012 - Hunting the Hunter prologue gameplay video on YT]
It's been a long time, isn't it?
Well, just to show that we're still alive and the project is paused but not dead (we've put too much time and energies to just abandon it - we *have* to complete and release it someday), we uploaded on YT a gameplay video: it's the beginning of "Hunting the Hunter".
It's a small part of what we released to Italian beta testers around three years ago.
We hope that you enjoy it!

So, click here to watch the video on YT!

KodiakBehr

Those backgrounds are absolutely gorgeous.  Were the cutscenes made in-engine?

I don't speak a word of Italian, but there's something about Boba Fett saying "si e tempo di prendere misure drastiche" before flying around with a flamethrower that requires no translation.

Joseph DiPerla

I thought this game wasn't using AGS anymore, but Multimedia Fusion.

Darth Mandarb

arj0n

Maybe it once was an AGS project but it isn't anymore.
It's indeed a Multimedia Fusion 2 project, like DiPerla said...

Darth Mandarb

This makes me sad... well if it ever finds its way back to AGS let me know and we can unlock this.
Received a PM... and am happy again!! 

Dusk

Sorry for the "misunderstanding": i clarify the development situation:

- I had to stop coding for the project a 3 years ago. So BobaFonts, the project founder, looked for a tool to work indipendently on the project without the need of a programmer. He picked up MMF and updated the site, but he started working on another area of the "Shadows of the Empire" story.
- The "Hunting the Hunter" part of the project, that is the one I did (lot of) coding for, is 100% AGS and will be finished in AGS with my collaboration. The video I posted comes from this part. There's about an hour of playable game ready and tested since years. I'm going to restart working on this and hopefully we'll be able to release the full "Hunting the Hunter", made in AGS, in reasonable time, even if I prefer not saying dates.

I have no idea of what will happen to the project after the AGS "Hunting the Hunter" release, but it's pointless to think about that for now :)

Joseph DiPerla

Hehe Ok. That clarifies it. Ciao Dusk. Io Parlo Italiano abastanza bene se ti serve qualcuno che traducca il gioco in Inglese o se ti serve uno per beta testing. Fammi Sapere. :)

Dusk

Joseph: hey, I remember about you :)
When the game will be ready, we will of course ask here on the forums for help with beta testing and translation review, as we did long time ago for the Tech Demo. Happy to count you in!

KodiakBehr: no, the cutscenes are ogg theora videos edited outside AGS by BobaFonts.

DBoyWheeler

Whatever is being used to make this adventure game, this shows promise, given the screenshots I've seen.  Hope this game is completed soon.

Oh, and... I'm saying this to be silly, of course, but think someday we might have a Jar Jar Binks Adventure Game in the future?

Takyon

I just watched the teaser video and I have to say this looks to be one of the best games I've ever seen on AGS. I just wish I could understand it! lol.

Hunting the Hunter sounds really clunky though, but who cares, this game looks incredible.
ghost.

Dualnames

I expected this awesome, but the video just made this super-fantastic in my eyes! Can't wait!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk