Stranger By Night - download now!

Started by fivetrickpony, Fri 03/09/2004 19:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

fivetrickpony

Hello! It's been a long time since I posted here. My new game Stranger By Night is finally complete. I didn't post anything about this in the Development forum because I was worried I couldn't finish it and didn't want to seem like a hack (that acutally happened with one of the earlier games which I posted about monttttthhhs ago, so I didn't want to repeat that).

Stranger By Night
A serial killer known as 'The Stranger' has been butchering young women throughout the past months. Without any leads, authorities are at a dead end.Ã,  One night, Katrina Rose, a reporter for the New York Times, receives a phone call from a mysterious woman offering information about the serial killer. What happens next leads Katrina into a night of unspeakable terror.... a night she may not live to see through.

Screenshots:

download here: (3.8 MB) [windows and dos executable]
http://projects.lateralshift.net/stranger/files.html

MIRRORS: [windows executable only]

1) http://www.geocities.com/fivetrick_pony/
(go to the website and download form there, I think Geocities is being a pain about hotlinking)
or
2) (temporary)
http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=4544F27788051C9F832025A7DAC3F540

:)

Mephistophilis

Oooh! Looks Funky, You can't go wrong with serial killers! or Ninjas!
Hmm... Trying to Download but Yahoo is complaining, Bastards.
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

fivetrickpony

Grrr... I'll try to find a new webspace then..... grrr I hate Yahoo and I hate geocities.

fivetrickpony

A temporary place to download it while Geocities refuses to cooperate. Hope this works:

http://s2.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=4544F27788051C9F832025A7DAC3F540

Mephistophilis

yay it does Just started the download.

viktor

signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Cyberion

well i'm downloading... so far looks nice, will post more after some time of playing ;)

Mephistophilis

Tis pretty good!
But I am at a loss:
Spoiler
I've got The Gods Book, Noted the buttons and I've got the lead of William,
I've tried doing the Gods in book order, but no leads, a little hint perhaps?
[close]

BlackMan890

how big is this game?, i hate when people show video or musik or games without telling the size, please do not be one of these people
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

Barbarian

Quote from: blackman890 on Sat 04/09/2004 00:28:40
how big is this game?, i hate when people show video or musik or games without telling the size, please do not be one of these people

Well, the Zipped file is 3.79MB to download, so that's not too bad, but yes, most "free hosts" such as geocities, tripod, etc... generally sux for trying to share a file with the public (especially if the file size starts exceeding 1MB size), and those type of hosts tend to have sooo many restrictions on file-size, bandwidth useage, and slapp the visitors silly with ads, pop-ups and the like.

FiveTrickPony: I just downloaded your game. I'll check it out soon after I finish a long day of work. Look good so far though.

Here's a thread with several suggestions of where one can perhaps upload and share a file: http://www.agsforums.com/yabb/index.php?topic=7920.0

But If you're stuck for finding a decent place to host your game-file, I might be able to put it up on my site if you like?
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Secret Fawful

ooh looks scary
no really it looks scary
i am downloading now ;D

BlackMan890

hey, can you make an dos executable for me ;)
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

fivetrickpony

Woo hoo! Found a good host. Thanks to Barbarian for pointing out that helpful link. The Windows executable is here. I'll upload the Dos executable next:

http://projects.lateralshift.net/stranger/files.html

Mephistophilis:
Spoiler
Amber's reference to 'William' is actually in regards to a famous author. You may find one of his books in the library, which will contain another clue as to how to unlock the Greek Gods puzzle
[close]

Mephistophilis

I'm so stupid! I had thought of It being related to the library but I always thought of his second name!

fivetrickpony

Chicky

wow, nice game. It has a lovely spooky atmosphere to it. With the random noises and all.

Great game, havn't finished yet.

fivetrickpony

Oh, crap, I just finished 7 Days a Skeptic and I realised that not only do I have a very similar theme, there is one similar puzzle and even one of the MIDI files is same! How frustrating for me, and here I thought I was being different :P This saddens me because even to me, now my game looks like a cheap rip off, oo, bad for my PR.

I've changed the MIDI but I decided to leave the puzzle because it's too much work to change it. Nevermind, next time I'm going to think of more wildly creative puzzles.

Robert_Kosten

Hi,

I think I discovered a bug:
Spoiler
When looking at the statues and then opening the gods book, I'm stuck swapping between the two whenever I click exit.
[close]
Eritis sicut deus scientes bonum et malum.

Robert_Kosten

BTW, I'm stuck as well
Spoiler
I've got the gods book, shakespeare and the "damn V" note (which seems to reference _V_enus/Aphro or _V_ulcan/Hephaistos, who does not appear among the statues.) I further think that the pink line corresponds to a secret connection (not passage!) between the statues and the upstairs room containing all the stuff... Either I need to find another hint or I'm to dumb to solve this one :-)
[close]

Mephistophilis

Same Here Kosten:
Spoiler
I was under the impression it was a map of the top floor, the pink line connecting the red Tapestry area in the hall to the broken grandfather clock in the top left room.
[close]

Snarky

Hey, fivetrickpony. I just finished your game, and since I enjoyed it, I thought I'd give you the kind of feedback I would like when I release a game.

First of all, it took me two-three hours to play through from beginning to end. I got hints for one puzzle from this thread.

GRAPHICS
Pretty good. I love the cutscenes, both in design and artwork. The Katrina sprites are also very good looking, though at first I did think she looked a bit too cartoony for such a dark game. The backgrounds are atmospheric, but they're also very blurry and indistinct. I often couldn't make out what things were supposed to be, or if a blotch of color was even an object or just a patch of light. I should also mention that the graphics for the GUI were top-notch.

A word on the animation. Because the side walk animation has a different number of frames for each of her legs, it looks (and more importantly sounds) like she is limping.

MUSIC AND SOUND
Nice to have a constant soundtrack, which didn't have time to get on my nerves before I finished the game. The random/situational noises added a lot, too, and were well integrated. The only time there was a problem was in pressing the buttons by the Greek statues, when the music drowned out the sound of the clicks.

STORY
Very efficient storytelling of a fairly basic plot. The intro did a good, no-nonsense job of setting up the game, and the devices used to develop it within the game worked well.

The fact that the first and the second story of the house had completely different floor plans bugged me. Some of the rooms on the second floor must rest on stilts! Also, the lack of a kitchen, a bathroom, or Amber's room (mentioned in the end sequence) required a certain suspension of disbelief.

The ending wasn't as satisfying as it might have been, perhaps.

Spoiler
Although there was some tension at first, it soon became obvious that the killer wouldn't actually attack you as the player (except in one restricted situation), and this rendered the menace later in the game less effective. Also, how could the killer get from room to room without running into you? Of course, you have to make a design decision whether this is something you care about, and it would have led to a quite different game.
[close]

GAMEPLAY
I'll talk about the puzzles separately.

I had some major issues with the interface. Because the cursors didn't mark the active pixel and the objects were so indistinct, I often had to pixel-hunt unnecessarily (especially to make sure that something wasn't a hotspot). Katrina walks slooooooowly, and there's no way to set the gamespeed or her walkspeed. There are walkto points even for Look and actions that don't exist, and there's no way to cancel commands: Katrina will insist on slowly walking over and telling you she can't do that. The inventory interface was cumbersome too, and clicks on objects were only recognized in their upper half. The interact cursor seemed very limited and limiting: I really wanted to play around with the clocks (change the time, take them apart, whatever), but Katrina assumed I was trying to pick them up or open them.

Most of these complaints are issues with the default AGS interface, but they are things I always find frustrating. Besides, my background is in UI design.

Oh, and some doorways you had to Interact with and others you had to Walk to. What's up with that?

PUZZLES
I thought that with one exception, the puzzles were fair and at the right level of difficulty. Some I could solve easily, others stumped me for a while until I thought them through.

I guess when you're designing puzzles, it's difficult to know what players will be able to figure out and what they'll get stuck on. Therefore, I'll try to go through how I solved the game, how I approached each puzzle and what I thought about it. Obviously, this will be 100% spoilers for the game. Also, it's only one person's perspective.

Spoiler
After finding Amber, I went into the moose room, and investigated it. I almost didn't notice the buttons by the statues, but instantly saw that they were some sort of code puzzle. The moose head seemed incongruous, and I wondered if it might open a secret passage (no joke). After talking to Amber, I went upstairs, and having seen the Shakespeare hint, picked up his book with the piece of paper. Since I knew it was a hint for the statues, I instantly guessed that "V" was Venus (knowing that Aphrodite was called Venus by the Romans). I didn't figure out the rest of the puzzle. I looked at the other books, but didn't think to pick up the one on mythology. Therefore, I was stuck, and only got any further when I read in this thread about the "Gods" book. After finding and reading it, I had another look at the statues, and "Diana, Appollo, Mercury, Neptune, Venus" was pretty obvious. Cool puzzle, by the way!

OK, so I got the key and got into the locked room. Locking out the killer before he could open the door was a really frustrating puzzle. It wasn't clear what you were supposed to do (I tried hiding under the bed and in the closet, and escape through the window), especially since the thing by the door wasn't recognizable as a bolt. I thought it was a light switch, and it was only by trying to turn off the light that I discovered what it was for. I probably had to reload this bit five or six times before I managed to survive. Timed sequences, man. Don't do them!

The diary entries didn't seem to have anything to do with the plot, so I already suspected it was something in the dates. However, I couldn't find anything to do after I left the room. I walked all over the house (trying to cut stuff with my shard of glass), and only ended up in the room with all the clocks by exclusion: It was the only room that hadn't been used for anything in the game yet. Having concluded that, cutting the tapestry was relatively straightforward. I didn't have any trouble opening the safe. Wasn't there an article on code puzzles that used the "calculate date of birth" (or wedding day) as an example?

OK, this is where I got thoroughly stuck. I couldn't figure out what those pink lines meant. I had two interpretations: that they showed some sort of connection between the grandfather clock and the red painting (which didn't explain the second line), and that they represented the hands of a watch (set at 10:00), and I would have to set one of the clocks to that time. Of course, neither theory led anywhere. Then I went around the house using the locket and the combined note (the only new objects I had) on everything I could think of, to no better effect. Then I reasoned that the moose head was the only other thing in the house that hadn't been used yet, and I tried everything on that. It was when I tried using the pen to pry the amethyst off the locket that I accidentally used it on the combined note, and found that I was at least in the right room. Now, finally, I was allowed to mess around with the moose head.

It really confused me that the moose eye disappeared when it fell out. I wanted to pick it up. Since prying out the amethyst with the pen hadn't worked, I didn't think to use the glass shard (the pen still makes more sense to me) for a long time. I tried stuffing everything into that eye socket, and even using the shard to cut the head open. Also, the fact that the eye socket itself was a non-hotspot was frustrating. OK, the locket had to be involved somehow, and prying the amethyst off was the only thing that made sense (dammit), so finally I tried the glass shard. Problem solved, game over.

OK, so in summary, I got stuck at these points in the game:

-Picking up the book on mythology
-Cutting the tapestry
-Drawing on the note
-Using the glass shard to pry the amethyst off the locket

These things acted as red herrings for me:

-The clocks
-The red painting (because the one of the pink lines seemed to point to it)
-The moose head (before the final puzzle)
-That white globe thing in the living room. What was that?
[close]

I hope you find this feedback useful. I look forward to your next game!

fivetrickpony

Wow, that's a pretty detailed review. Thanks for taking the time to play through the game. I've definately taken down those pointers and will use them to improve the next game I make. Thanks again for writing that, and you've essentially written a walkthrough as well, so that's good :D

Some points about the story:
Spoiler
I put a timed sequence because I wanted to test the feature in AGS. Sorry :D And I also thought it would increase the tension abit and break up the gameplay monotony, because otherwise you were just wandering around room to room with an invisible killer that never did anything.

You didn't bump into him at all (except for the room) because I wanted to make it a game where you never get to see your attacker - things get scarier when you let your imagination run wild.

And Amber's room, which was mentioned in the ending, is the same room in which the killer tries to break in.
[close]

As for the bug mentioned earlier:
Spoiler
Doh... I forgot to remove the GUI during the Gods puzzle... that would have solved everything. Will fix that.
[close]

Kosten/Mephisto:
Spoiler
The use of the pink lines might become more apparent when you have the other piece of the map
[close]

Snarky

Quote from: fivetrickpony on Sun 05/09/2004 01:41:31
Wow, that's a pretty detailed review. Thanks for taking the time to play through the game. I've definately taken down those pointers and will use them to improve the next game I make. Thanks again for writing that, and you've essentially written a walkthrough as well, so that's good :D

Some points about the story:
Spoiler
I put a timed sequence because I wanted to test the feature in AGS. Sorry :D And I also thought it would increase the tension abit and break up the gameplay monotony, because otherwise you were just wandering around room to room with an invisible killer that never did anything.

You didn't bump into him at all (except for the room) because I wanted to make it a game where you never get to see your attacker - things get scarier when you let your imagination run wild.

And Amber's room, which was mentioned in the ending, is the same room in which the killer tries to break in.
[close]

Hey, I'm glad you found it a worthwhile read.

I can understand your reasoning for the timed sequence, and although it's frustrating to play through, I think it does achieve what you were going for. So maybe it does strengthen the game overall. Sometimes you have to sacrifice one part for the good of the whole.

Spoiler
So when exactly did the killer stick Amber's body in the locked room, and where was it in the mean time? OK, so I'm overthinking it.  :P
[close]

fivetrickpony

Snarky:

Spoiler
About where he put Amber's body in the meantime... oops, that's a plot hole... *sheepish* :P Let's pretend he carried it around with him wherever he went.
[close]

Elianto

I still have to download and play the game but I've to say that I liked very much the kind of reply that Snarky gave.
In a thread like this usually I find only request for hints, his post was indeed very usefull for the author and for any other creator  ;)

fivetrickpony

Yup, definately, he's great to have done that.  It let's me see what are the shortcomings of the game from a player's perspective (whenever I play my own game it is marred by the fact that I'm usually playing it as a developer), so it gives me more pointers as to make a better game next time. I found his post to be very helpful and so I'm utterly greatful for that.

Elianto

Ops... I just downloaded the game but i cannot manage to run it. Strange since it's never happened with any ags game.

Whatever config I choose the game starts only with music then after 10 seconds the intro image appears but i cannot move the mouse cursor....

suggestions???

fivetrickpony

Hmmm that's weird... Did you download the windows or the DOS executable? If you downloaded the windows one try the DOS, and vice versa, maybe that'll help. The intro graphic and the music should appear at the same time, I didn't program it for the music to start first, so that's really strange.

PS: "The inventory interface was cumbersome too, and clicks on objects were only recognized in their upper half" - does anybody know how to fix this? I'm not sure why this happened since essentially I didn't change the inventory interface except for its cosmetic appearance and the number of items per row.

Elianto

Damn... I just found out that at the moment I cannot run any more ags game... It must be dued to the new omega drivers I installed on the notebook. So it's not related to your game.

??? i cannot manage to restore the old and working situation!!!!!!

Barbarian

Quote from: Elianto on Sun 05/09/2004 11:26:12
Damn... I just found out that at the moment I cannot run any more ags game... It must be dued to the new omega drivers I installed on the notebook. So it's not related to your game.

??? i cannot manage to restore the old and working situation!!!!!!

Major bummer Elianto. Can readjusting some of the Display Adaptors settings help you?

What version of WIndows you running? More recent Windows versions (XP, ME, 2000, etc)... have a built in "System Restore" feature. Usually found from Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Then you can pick a recent date to before when you installed those new Omega drivers you mentioned.

If not, alternatively you may be able to use a "Rollback Drivers" feature (but the older versions of Windows, I forget if it has that option).

From the main Windows desktop, right-click on the "My Computer" icon, then select Properties. From the Properties box, click on the Hardware tab. Then click on the Device Manager button. Find the Display Adaptors, open up that list, find your current graphic adaptor name, right click and "Properties" again. Then select "Driver" and if you're lucky, you may have a "Rollback Driver" button. Click, then restart computer, and if all goes well, your computer will have re-installed the previous drivers for that Display Adaptor.

If all that still not of help to you, do you know specifically what model your Display Adaptor is? Do you have the original drivers for your Display Adaptor on a disk someplace you can try to reinstall them? Or if not, perhaps we may be able to help you find some better drivers you can install.

*Salutes
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Elianto

I've already managed to reinstall the old driver but now (and I don't know why since It never happened to me) the system doesn't allow me to modify any parameter of the dislay setting (and I'm administrator on this shitty XP)....

Edit: problem solved after 6 different driver installation (also 1 from microsoft!!!), with one only dx games, with one only videos, one ags... finally found one working, I hope not to find a bug in this too   ???

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

fivetrickpony

Glad you solved your problem (hopefully) :D 

Kweepa

Pretty funny that Elianto praised Snarky for a useful post, then dragged the thread completely off topic...

Interesting game - great use of sound to build the tension, and I personally liked the timed sequence.
Spoiler
A bit of a nod to Mourier en Mer perhaps? "He's coming up the stairs!" Nicely done with the door thumping and the shadow in the doorway.
[close]
The graphics were also interesting - you managed to pull together (I'm guessing) a lot of source material into a semi-coherent style. The main character stood out like a sore thumb though!
Reading through Snarky's walkthrough, I have to agree with most of it.
Spoiler
I particularly disliked that the moose head was non-interactive until the pink lines were joined up. On the other hand, I did like the gods puzzle, but that's probably because I solved it without the book.
[close]

Thanks for the game!
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

fivetrickpony

Yay, someone liked the timed sequence :)

Spoiler
Sorry about the moosehead. The reason I had was that since she didn't know the passage was in the dining room, she wouldn't think to be more thorough with her searches. But once she knew that the passage was in that room, she would go out of her way to search everything, and that's why the interaction with the moosehead revealed different results once you joined up the lines.
[close]

Albert Cuandero

OK I just finished the game

Spoiler
(after being a real idiot and overseeing the hint of the "6 (six) digit code and entering the safe combination as auggested by the diary: 06161944...)
[close]

So being stuck there is not to blame on the game but on me!

After Snarky's in depth review pretty much gets it all, I will try to keep mine short. (It's just my humble opinion, which I want to share with you - don't take me too seriously!)

++
+ Sound! Good atmospheric tracks with very fitting effects. Fit well the length of the game.
+ Overlay art. I am a fan of horror comics. The style used fits the mood so good!

+
+ Backgrounds. A bit too blurry but still very nice. If the details would have been easier to make out, I would have moved the backgrounds to the ++ category.
+ Puzzles. They are well thought through and balanced. Mostly (as the game as whole) they remind me of Resident Evil. I love puzzles that move way above "use-all-on-all-and-hope"!
+ A lot of "unnecessary" objects, false hints etc. It makes the game feel more "real"

-
- The story and the characters are a bit too thin, even for a short game. Some plot gaps were already pointed out. Many questions for those topics are coming to my mind, but I suppose, i will have to accept the game "as is"... I didn't really like the ending too.
Spoiler
The described ritual destruction of Amber's body sounds a bit like unnecessary violence. If it would be possible to replay the game and try and succeed in saving Amber this would be a good "50:50" alternate ending. So it is just unsatisfying - at least for me
[close]
- Snarky and others already spoke about some other weak sides of the design. Let me just come back to one - the buttons of the god-puzzle. Since I had the volume down (thus didn't hear the clicks, just like the others) I expected the buttons to move or come out or anything visual to happen to give me feedback. For the first five tries on this puzzle, I thought it wasn't activated yet!

All in all I give this game 70% of what I expected, considering all circumstances.

This is actully quite good!

Fivetrickpony , I hope you keep up the game-designing and to hear/see/play from you soon again.

Instead of a "thank you" I offer you to translate this game into german for you. If you are interested PM me and I will give you my E-Mail, so you can send me the translation file...
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Mephistophilis

Heh... I suck at this game:
Spoiler
I'm in the locked room and I know I have to lock the bolt but it is rusted, I would just try everything but I Inadvertantley save with about ten seconds to go, and I can't be bothered continuially reloading to try one more action again and agian.
[close]
Tis Quite hard, but maybe I just suck.

Kweepa

Look around. You'll know when you have the right answer.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Albert Cuandero

Quote from: Mephistophilis on Mon 06/09/2004 21:54:15
Heh... I suck at this game:
Spoiler
I'm in the locked room and I know I have to lock the bolt but it is rusted, I would just try everything but I Inadvertantley save with about ten seconds to go, and I can't be bothered continuially reloading to try one more action again and agian.
[close]
Tis Quite hard, but maybe I just suck.
Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Mon 06/09/2004 22:32:36
Look around. You'll know when you have the right answer.

If Steve's answer is still too cryptical:

Spoiler
on the left side of the screen, on the cabinet with drawers there is a white object, which is a flask of baby oil. So when you are trapped in the locked room, just walk quickly to left get the flask, use it on the bolt and then push the bolt shut
[close]
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

pslocum

Very nice game. Impressive. The use of sound, especially, is the best I've seen in a while.

fivetrickpony

Thank you guys for the feedback, and especially to  Albert Cuandero  for that in depth report on the strengths and weaknesses in the game. I'm definately going to use all this user feedback to improve on the next game I make. Thanks so much.

ggp

Really enjoying the game so far, but may of found a bug;
Spoiler
If you open the mythology book the same time as looking at the statues, you can't get back to normal screen again, and 'exit' for the statues takes you to look at the open book, and 'done' with the book takes you to close up of statues again ?
[close]

fivetrickpony

Yeah, that unfortuantely was a bug, I just need to remove the GUI Interface when in the statue room that would make more sense. I'm going to fix that soon. Thanks for pointing it out :)

LeChimp

cotogosch

hi, i`ve not finished so far. i like it, but for me the background graphics are way too unsharpened..
the sounds and athmesphere are nice.

bye,
cotogosch

fivetrickpony

Hmm,a lot of people don't like the unsharpened backgrounds... darn it was a specific style I was going for but I guess I'll see what I can do in the future to change this. Thanks for the feedback...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, I haven't finished yet - the "open-book-while-looking-at-statues" bug kinda prevented me from playing further and I haven't replayed yet... but I have to say, from the intro alone I knew it was going to be great. The intro is simple, and very effective.

And personally I love that graphic style. Onle one gripe, the characters themselves stand out because they're... I don't know, brighter, I guess. Not the same as the background. I, for one, loved that unfocused style. It added a lot.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

ggp

Me too, the 'unfocused' style makes your game stand out from others (that pretty much all look the same.....) I think you should make more games with the same style.

fivetrickpony

Oh cool, thanks :) I'm glad you guys liked the style, so I guess I'll try to find a happy balance between the two, try to create a style that is not sooo blur/unfocused but also try to make it different from the others. I'll also try to make the characters darker to blend in with the background. I've already have a sequel mapped out and I'm going to revamp the whole interface and use a Lucas Arts style with the status bar, I think that would help identify hotspots faster especially with the unfocused style that I'm using for the backgrounds.

BlackMan890

man i can't see to get through the gods puzzle, some help, maybe?
Spoiler
i got william shakespear book and gods book but not longer(i also have the note)
[close]
a little help please

PS please create a walkthrough, i found a site somewhere and it had walkthrough for many games but it was a question and answer, you pushed the question and then it came with a hint, when you can't seem to understand you pushed again and another hint came upp a little easyer than the first one, can you make a walkthrough like this because the you won't be able to see any what you are suposed to do next
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

fivetrickpony

Spoiler

For the gods puzzle, you need to push the buttons in order of of their ROMAN names (refer to the book for the Greek God's roman names) and then push the butons in order: DAMN V (Diana, Apollo, Mercury, Neptune, Venus)
[close]

mätzyboy

What a great game! The artwork filled it's purpose very nicely. Blurry, yes, but it contributed to the eerie feeling of the game. Maybe a little less blur would make things mor recognizable just from their looks... :P
I liked:
Spoiler
The music and sfx. It really set the mood of the game. I also think the encounter with the Stranger was very well needed to make sure that the player understood that he was dangerous. The massive banging on the door was dramatic!
[close]
I liked a little less:
Spoiler
This might be a more personal preference, but the kind of puzzles that are based on codes, in this case the gods, doesn't really appeal to me. It reminds me of Myst, a game I highly disliked due to it's lack of clues. However I have to admit that this one was clever with the confusion involved with the Greek and Roman names of the gods. This leads me to the next thing I don't like, looking for books in libraries. 5 days a Stranger had the same problem. I dont see what this kind of look at a lot of similar items to find on special leads to more than frustration. Still the William clue was kind of good...
[close]

Thanks for some 45 minutes of challenging gameplay!

fivetrickpony

matzyboy: Thanks for playing ! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm currently taking note of all the suggestions and comments here, and I'm beginning to get a good impression of what a majority of people like and don't like. Thanks.

Robert_Kosten

Hi,
I wanted to add that I very much enjoyed the game, puzzles were good (I was stupid not to "get it" myself ::) ) and the mood was great (neat sounds and music). The only thing I disliked was the blurry backgrounds, which look nice, but make it hard to see stuff (It took quite a while to find William for example...)

So,
Thumbs up :)

fivetrickpony

Kediri

Wow.
That was a scary game.  :o
I needed to save often, to take a breather from all that adrenaline shooting through my body. It was exciting, atmospheric, definetely scary and I enjoyed the puzzles as well.  :D  ;D

I did have one problem, which was a little irritating.
Spoiler
The volume of the music in the background, made it really difficult to hear the clicks when I pressed the buttons for the gods puzzle. Eventually, the only way I could play it, was to wait for a lull and hope that the sound I heard was right. So it took a couple of trys to get it right.
[close]
:-\

fivetrickpony

Ooh, okay, thanks for playing. I noted the problem about the music and will try to fix it. Right now I'm brainstorming for sequel ideas :) Glad you found the first game scary, I'll have to think of innovative ways to frighten people in the sequel.

BlackMan890

great game, i played i in windows(the reason)
i just saw that my computer doesn't supoort 16bit color(for the dos version)
oh well, overall a nice game
about the blurry, i find it really nice, but you could make it less blurry ON the objects
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

fivetrickpony

It's recommended you play the windows version since it's the most updated one :P The DOS one still has a few bugs because I didn't post an updated DOS compile :)

lakerz

Quote from: fivetrickpony on Wed 08/09/2004 10:28:27
Oh cool, thanks :) I'm glad you guys liked the style, so I guess I'll try to find a happy balance between the two, try to create a style that is not sooo blur/unfocused but also try to make it different from the others. I'll also try to make the characters darker to blend in with the background. I've already have a sequel mapped out and I'm going to revamp the whole interface and use a Lucas Arts style with the status bar, I think that would help identify hotspots faster especially with the unfocused style that I'm using for the backgrounds.

Hello, just finished your game. Ã, Really quite well done! Ã, Two of the puzzles had me stumped. Ã, I had to check this forum to get the answer to one of them. Ã, I think it would be a great idea if you could incorporate a feature to display the name of an object the cursor is currently over. Ã, That way, you can continue to utilize your unique "blurred" graphic style (which I think is nice too) and give the user a little more direction on which objects can be interacted with. Ã, :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk