Stranger By Night - download now!

Started by fivetrickpony, Fri 03/09/2004 19:27:51

Previous topic - Next topic

fivetrickpony

Thank you guys for the feedback, and especially to  Albert Cuandero  for that in depth report on the strengths and weaknesses in the game. I'm definately going to use all this user feedback to improve on the next game I make. Thanks so much.

ggp

Really enjoying the game so far, but may of found a bug;
Spoiler
If you open the mythology book the same time as looking at the statues, you can't get back to normal screen again, and 'exit' for the statues takes you to look at the open book, and 'done' with the book takes you to close up of statues again ?
[close]

fivetrickpony

Yeah, that unfortuantely was a bug, I just need to remove the GUI Interface when in the statue room that would make more sense. I'm going to fix that soon. Thanks for pointing it out :)

LeChimp

cotogosch

hi, i`ve not finished so far. i like it, but for me the background graphics are way too unsharpened..
the sounds and athmesphere are nice.

bye,
cotogosch

fivetrickpony

Hmm,a lot of people don't like the unsharpened backgrounds... darn it was a specific style I was going for but I guess I'll see what I can do in the future to change this. Thanks for the feedback...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Well, I haven't finished yet - the "open-book-while-looking-at-statues" bug kinda prevented me from playing further and I haven't replayed yet... but I have to say, from the intro alone I knew it was going to be great. The intro is simple, and very effective.

And personally I love that graphic style. Onle one gripe, the characters themselves stand out because they're... I don't know, brighter, I guess. Not the same as the background. I, for one, loved that unfocused style. It added a lot.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

ggp

Me too, the 'unfocused' style makes your game stand out from others (that pretty much all look the same.....) I think you should make more games with the same style.

fivetrickpony

Oh cool, thanks :) I'm glad you guys liked the style, so I guess I'll try to find a happy balance between the two, try to create a style that is not sooo blur/unfocused but also try to make it different from the others. I'll also try to make the characters darker to blend in with the background. I've already have a sequel mapped out and I'm going to revamp the whole interface and use a Lucas Arts style with the status bar, I think that would help identify hotspots faster especially with the unfocused style that I'm using for the backgrounds.

BlackMan890

man i can't see to get through the gods puzzle, some help, maybe?
Spoiler
i got william shakespear book and gods book but not longer(i also have the note)
[close]
a little help please

PS please create a walkthrough, i found a site somewhere and it had walkthrough for many games but it was a question and answer, you pushed the question and then it came with a hint, when you can't seem to understand you pushed again and another hint came upp a little easyer than the first one, can you make a walkthrough like this because the you won't be able to see any what you are suposed to do next
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

fivetrickpony

Spoiler

For the gods puzzle, you need to push the buttons in order of of their ROMAN names (refer to the book for the Greek God's roman names) and then push the butons in order: DAMN V (Diana, Apollo, Mercury, Neptune, Venus)
[close]

mätzyboy

What a great game! The artwork filled it's purpose very nicely. Blurry, yes, but it contributed to the eerie feeling of the game. Maybe a little less blur would make things mor recognizable just from their looks... :P
I liked:
Spoiler
The music and sfx. It really set the mood of the game. I also think the encounter with the Stranger was very well needed to make sure that the player understood that he was dangerous. The massive banging on the door was dramatic!
[close]
I liked a little less:
Spoiler
This might be a more personal preference, but the kind of puzzles that are based on codes, in this case the gods, doesn't really appeal to me. It reminds me of Myst, a game I highly disliked due to it's lack of clues. However I have to admit that this one was clever with the confusion involved with the Greek and Roman names of the gods. This leads me to the next thing I don't like, looking for books in libraries. 5 days a Stranger had the same problem. I dont see what this kind of look at a lot of similar items to find on special leads to more than frustration. Still the William clue was kind of good...
[close]

Thanks for some 45 minutes of challenging gameplay!

fivetrickpony

matzyboy: Thanks for playing ! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm currently taking note of all the suggestions and comments here, and I'm beginning to get a good impression of what a majority of people like and don't like. Thanks.

Robert_Kosten

Hi,
I wanted to add that I very much enjoyed the game, puzzles were good (I was stupid not to "get it" myself ::) ) and the mood was great (neat sounds and music). The only thing I disliked was the blurry backgrounds, which look nice, but make it hard to see stuff (It took quite a while to find William for example...)

So,
Thumbs up :)
Eritis sicut deus scientes bonum et malum.

fivetrickpony

Kediri

Wow.
That was a scary game.  :o
I needed to save often, to take a breather from all that adrenaline shooting through my body. It was exciting, atmospheric, definetely scary and I enjoyed the puzzles as well.  :D  ;D

I did have one problem, which was a little irritating.
Spoiler
The volume of the music in the background, made it really difficult to hear the clicks when I pressed the buttons for the gods puzzle. Eventually, the only way I could play it, was to wait for a lull and hope that the sound I heard was right. So it took a couple of trys to get it right.
[close]
:-\

fivetrickpony

Ooh, okay, thanks for playing. I noted the problem about the music and will try to fix it. Right now I'm brainstorming for sequel ideas :) Glad you found the first game scary, I'll have to think of innovative ways to frighten people in the sequel.

BlackMan890

great game, i played i in windows(the reason)
i just saw that my computer doesn't supoort 16bit color(for the dos version)
oh well, overall a nice game
about the blurry, i find it really nice, but you could make it less blurry ON the objects
Jonatan Nilsson
860 Iceland

Please go to www.simnet.is/elinnils52 and download my non ags/adventure game :)

fivetrickpony

It's recommended you play the windows version since it's the most updated one :P The DOS one still has a few bugs because I didn't post an updated DOS compile :)

lakerz

Quote from: fivetrickpony on Wed 08/09/2004 10:28:27
Oh cool, thanks :) I'm glad you guys liked the style, so I guess I'll try to find a happy balance between the two, try to create a style that is not sooo blur/unfocused but also try to make it different from the others. I'll also try to make the characters darker to blend in with the background. I've already have a sequel mapped out and I'm going to revamp the whole interface and use a Lucas Arts style with the status bar, I think that would help identify hotspots faster especially with the unfocused style that I'm using for the backgrounds.

Hello, just finished your game. Ã, Really quite well done! Ã, Two of the puzzles had me stumped. Ã, I had to check this forum to get the answer to one of them. Ã, I think it would be a great idea if you could incorporate a feature to display the name of an object the cursor is currently over. Ã, That way, you can continue to utilize your unique "blurred" graphic style (which I think is nice too) and give the user a little more direction on which objects can be interacted with. Ã, :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk