<----What's up w/ the coffee mug??

Started by Cpt_Jigglypuff, Sat 11/09/2004 08:31:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Alun

Quote from: rodekill on Sun 12/09/2004 03:27:29
Did anyone ever actually use the '@' sign before email?
Did anyone even know that '@' was 'at'?

Yes and yes.  It wasn't a particularly uncommon symbol before e-mail; it's just that after e-mail it's become so thoroughly co-opted that that's what people immediately associate it with.

Quote from: QuantumRich on Mon 13/09/2004 20:37:12Betcha also didn't know that & is designed to look like "Et" and the word "ampersand" is derived from "And per se and".

Did know about the &/"et" connection (actually, in some fonts, the resemblance is pretty obvious); didn't know about the derivation of the word "ampersand".

But while we're on the subject of the names for symbols: does anyone know what that backwards P paragraph symbol is called?  (Other than "paragraph symbol", I mean... it has a one word name.)  I do know the name, but I think I'll wait and see if anyone else here knows it before giving the answer.... ;)

Quote from: Kinoko on Sun 12/09/2004 09:14:23I also hand write (again, only when making quick notes) something/someone/somewhere as s/thing, s/one and s/where.

Eh... why bother writing all that?  When I write quick notes to myself, I abbreviate "something" as "sth" and someone as "so", among other similar abbreviations.  (Yeah, I know "so" is a word by itself, but it's generally pretty clear whether I mean "someone" or "so" per se from the context.)  I also tend to write extremely small...  frankly, if anyone else ever got ahold of my notes to myself, I think they'd have a heck of a time trying to interpret them... ;)

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

TerranRich

It's called a pilcrow sign.

Next: Give as many names of "#" as you can possibly think of.

Answers below:
Spoiler
UK: hash sign, gate. US: pound sign, crosshatch, sharp. MISC: octothorpe.
[close]

AGA

Why would it be called the poundsign?

m0ds

When drawing, Chris obviously chose a cup over an actual adventure game studio :P That would however, make a funky 3D intro. :D

TerranRich

Quote from http://www.daube.ch/docu/glossary/signs.html ...

QuoteUntil about 1970 this sign was also called pound sign (for weights) in the US and in German speaking areas (1 pound = 1/2 kg).

Alun

"Pound sign" is actually what it's still most often called in the U.S. (or at least it's what I've usually heard it called), though I've never seen it actually used to represent "pounds".  I guess its use as a symbol for "pounds" died out but the name stuck.

I prefer the term "octothorpe", personally, but that's one you don't see used very often...  ;)

Okay, you got the pilcrow question, so here's another one: what is the term for three asterisks arranged in a triangle?  (Yeah, that doesn't get used much, but there is a special term for it.)

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Phemar

Teh bluecup on my desk in my room in all it's glory :D

Mr Jake

I cant remember what the triangle is called... but I know what it means....

Pft!

Phemar

We all have that very mug...

Else we're not true AGSers ... Are we?

EDIT:

Who will win?

Mephistophilis

Somebody isn't trying to show off their collection of classics are they? heh, I don't have a Blue Cup because I believe it is a conspiracy and infact some new kind of spyware, of those of you who have one who can remember where they got it? and if you can did you fel compelled to because of AGS? CJ is invading our homes I tell you!

I'm not paranoid He really is after me!
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Phemar

Everyone sees the PC and says to themselves, "Hey sweet! That guys got SoMI and LSL1, he must be so l33t! Let me send him all the money in my bank account!"

That's how it works. Several AGSers have already donated their money to me, which due to security reasons name's cannot be mentioned.

Oh yes, that and the corresponding publishers also pay me for product placement.

Pumaman

I also have a Blue Cup on my desk, and just to prove it:

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I, however, do not have a blue cup, and am therefore not a true agser.  Yes, I am a spy.  George the spy, to be accurate.  Well, George the FBI Spy Guy to my friends.  Except that I hate being called George, and I hate blue cups....

Pelican

I have 2 blue cups! I had three, but some git broke one. And I do remember where I got them. Poundstretcher - we're such cheapos in N.I.

Domino

If i had a bunch of styrofoam cups and painted them blue.Ã,  Would that count?Ã,  I could probably attach little paper handles to them also.Ã,  :)

Geez, i only own clear glasses with no handles.Ã,  Now i feel terrible.

Phemar

CJ's cup is not the true blue of the AGS.
Either CJ has had trouble choosing the correct shade of blue for his cup, or he had trouble choosing the correct shade of blue for the AGS logo.

I mean, what if the dark blue cup was actually meant to be light blue, but CJ couldn't find that color in MSPaint?

TerranRich

Alun_Clewe: It's called an asterism. ;D

Back at ya... What do you call the Spanish/Portuguese C with a hook on the bottom? (Ç and ç)

Phemar

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

And "cê cedilha", or "cê com cedilha", in good ol' Portuguese.

Yarr, matey.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk