MAGS July 2002 - Mittens Murder Mystery!

Started by Grundislav, Thu 18/07/2002 03:43:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Ok, here's my MAGS entry for July, "Mittens Murder Mystery" starring Granny Zombiekiller.

http://www.agagames.com/grundislav/games/mags.zip

Make sure you read the readme before playing. Also, the intro cutscene is an AVI which should play in-game. Make sure you have the latest version of DIVX. If it doesn't work, you can always view it outside the game.

Here is the voice pack:
http://www.agagames.com/grundislav/games/magspeech.zip

The voice pack is *gasp!* 15MB, BUT here are the top 5 reasons you should download it!

5. Features quality voice acting by members of the AGS community, many playing themselves.

4.Contains as much dialog if not more than the HMPP talkie, and it's only half the size!

3.Many people worked hard doing these voices. It would be evil of you to let their hard work go to waste!

2.The game's a lot more atmospheric and fun with voices.

And the number one reason to download the voice pack...

1.IT FEATURES THE VOICE OF NONE OTHER THAN CHRIS JONES HIMSELF!

So, get to it! And remember to vote for me if you like the game!

Love,
Grundislav

jannar85

Wow! This is the greatest greatest greatest greatest greatest....uhm...MAGS game I've ever played.

It was really fun! :D
I'll defently vote on this!
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

evenwolf

Grund, your game is the closest amateur adventure game I've ever seen to CMI quality.  The animation, dialog, voice-overs, bgs- were all splendid. I really enjoyed it.  You really took advantage of the resolution too, it  looked amazing.

*Stamps EvenWolf's stamp of approval on Grund's zip file*
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Sylpher

Not sure if something funky happend or what but when I first talked to the guy sitting in front of the tents the dialog zoomed by really quick with no voice acting...all the other dialog works fine only this guy...I'll try again and see what happens...

*edit*
Hmm worked fine this go round...must be one of those freak accourances. anyways game looks great. Can't wait to see who the killer is!

Esseb

2ma2

M

-Scid-

The game crashes when I try to talk to the guy in front of the tent. First, he says 'Sut Mae", and then the game just stop doing anything, and the music halts.

There's something strange about that dialogue, apparantly.

I'll have to play without the voice pack, and hopefully it won't do that then.

AGA

The guy in front of the tent is me! But nothing happened when I played, no problems at all...

2ma2

Yes, no problems at all whatsoever :)

..apart from the speech sounding totally crapola! Gsus, what did AGS do to it Grund? :o

Also.. SPOILER!!!!:

Whom else can you accuse? I've accused you allready so that's one. Is it possible to accuse the cat?

END O SPOILER

Grundislav

Thanks for the compliments, especially yours Evenwolf, that really means a lot. :)

*SPOILER FOR 2MA2*

You can also type in "moose" and "bea arthur" for different results.

Ed20

I'm downloading it now. it s ounds good

Pumaman

Hehe, I really liked your English Granny accent, Grund ;)

Jay V

not fair i wanna be a voice too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-[

I have a good voice! Well . . . . not all that great not for singin . . . but I should be a voice too! :D

i don't do much talking at www.mp3.com/mjv (all songs copyright © 2002, I Stole Speedy's Muse Music), but i think there's a track or two on www.mp3.com/vertucio (all material copyright © 1996-2000, M. Jason Vertucio) where i do spoken stuff . . . and my whole point is to show you that i can do good voice acting . . . . .
got voices?
jasonvoiceover.tk

Spyros

One of the best AGS games. The characters' graphics were great
Thanks

Fuzzpilz

Ionias

Grundislav, This is quite possibly the funniest AGS game I have ever played. Kudos to you dude!

m0ds

Bloody brilliant!

It will forever remain on my hard-drive. Once I've downloaded it again.

The killer is
*typey type*

Chrille BLOMQKVIST!!!11111

:)
Mods

Jay V

hahaha!!! That was too funny! I loved every second of it!!! :D

But . . . for some reason the opening movie wouldn't play as part of the game. :( boo hoo . . . . . .

got voices?
jasonvoiceover.tk

Ed20

It's fantastic. thanks to the options in the windows engine, i can play an ags game with voice for the first time, and it sounds fantastic!
Although the screen freezes, when i talk to people, and sometimes i can jus about get away with it, and save in time. I also couldn't play the vid, but that's 'cos of the limited software i own.
Great Game!
it makes me wonder if the voices in Night of The Hermit work well at all

-

You can also type in "Grundislav", cool... :O) I found that out...

Funny game...

Opo Terser

A+ goody, great game, great stuff. I really, really liked it.

rorschach

Cool game.

Too bad that some of the speech has crappy quality.
Oh well

AJA

Sounds almost too good... Well, I'll give you a comment later.. Once I've spent an hour downloading the talkie.

BruisedWeasel

I downloaded the game, and thought it was alright. Granny is very cute, though she creeps the hell out of me.

I haven't downloaded the voice files yet, because it will take 2 hours :(

And I didn't get to watch the movie. Which really sucks monkey balls.

But I liked it.

Jay V

yes i had the smae peoblem. it didn't run when i played the game. it only ran when i double-clicked from the explorer window.
got voices?
jasonvoiceover.tk

Pumaman

Hmm, people who didn't get the movie in-game, but it worked when loaded from explorer: what operating system are you using?

Jay V

well, i have win2k!!!!!!!!! ;D

a powerful piece of crap it is. aye. powerful. piece of crap.
got voices?
jasonvoiceover.tk

Ben

Hmm.. I couldn't see the movie in the game or iin Media Player either. And it couldn't download the codecs needed either..

rorschach

The cut-scene wouldn't play ingame for aswell.

2ma2

Ops... forgot to add this:

The 'e' in Chrille is NOT silent.

Thank you :b

Ed20

that's what i thought as i played it - it's like reading a book and someone pronouncing a name differently in a film version.

---
I couldn't play the film in or out of ags at all either

Grundislav

Well, it's been long enough, so I can post again.

I want to thank everyone who played the game and gave me such nice compliments. That's why I enjoy making games, so others can be entertained, and it seems as though this did it's job.

I also want to apologize to Chrille for mis-pronouncing your name. I'll do better next time, I promise. ;)

Finally, for all of you that can't see the movie, my apologies for using an apparently obscure codec. Here is the URL to download it.
http://www.divx-digest.com/software/mpeg4codec.html
I like this codec because of how well it compresses, and plan to use it for "Granny Zombiekiller" so download it please.

Anyway, thanks again to all who played, enjoyed, complimented, and critiqued.

Ed20

Ummm.....
that codec thing, has helped me to hear the video, but unfortunately i still am unable to see it. ah well

Esseb

CJ: Win98se....

So, you were supposed to see it ingame then? When, at the start or when you type "no" at the end, which I still haven't as I managed to hit enter without typing anything in :/.

Oh, and the 'e' in Chrille is pronounced as the 'e' in Zelda.

Pumaman

For the video, there are two different issues:

1. doesn't play in Media Player or the game - this means you don't have the right codec installed.

2. plays fine in media player, but not the game - this is the fault I'm trying to look into, where I would like some information.

Do you have the latest DirectX version installed? What OS are you using? This should hopefully narrow down the problem.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Personally I'm using Win2k with DX 8.1 and it plays fine in the game.

Esseb: it is supposed to play when you load the game, before the scene with granny and the policeman.

DasJan

The video didn't work for me in-game, too. I have installed the latest DivX codec. When I tried to install the Mpeg4 codec Grundislav mentioned, it said, I have a newer version installed.  I can see the video in the media player with sound, too. I'm using Windows 98 (it's so old, it really starts getting stable, sometimes) on an Athlon 1.4 MHz, 256 MB RAM and a GF4 4200.

Das Jan
"To be or not to be" - William Shakespeare
"To do is to be" - Friedrich Nietzsche
"Do be do be do" - Frank Sinatra

AGA

It played in Media Player (latest version with the latest codec), but not in-game. I have Win2K Pro, DirectX 8.1, running at 32bit 1280 x 1024 res on a Geforce 2 card.

Esseb

Same as aga, except win98se.

And yeah I can see it from media player.

magintz

do you have the divX codec?

great game grund...... [I found AGA's acting to be the best]. I found it difficult to hear what AGA was saying (unclear voice recording or something) anyway, i thouroughly enjoyed it.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

m0ds

I'm running Win 98se, I've got the DivX codec, and the video works fine in both media player and the game for me.

:)
Mods

Esseb

LGM

What I played looks amazing
Granny is wonderfully animated.. Grund, your helping me with Firewall!! :p

From what I played, everything was great except for 2 things..
The first BG looks a bit blurry, and the security Guard walks like he has a pole up his ass..
You. Me. Denny's.

Nellie

The policeman's walk is the best bit!

I liked this as a novelty game - it was great fun to see, but especially to hear, the AGS regulars.  The multiple endings idea was great, too.  Just one small point - it isn't always obvious who everybody is on the forums for terminally stupid people like me ;).

And what are the other two easter egg endings?  I typed in loads of names before giving up, but none of them produced any surprises.  I want spoilers!

Jay V

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Sun 21/07/2002 23:22:44From what I played, everything was great except for 2 things..
The first BG looks a bit blurry, and the security Guard walks like he has a pole up his ass..

um . . . he was a police officer . . . . . and police officers sometimes DO have poles up his asses . . . so it made perfect sense to me. :)
got voices?
jasonvoiceover.tk

D · Y · D · O

The game was great. Both the graphics and the voice pack were very nice.

By the way, I have DirectX 8.1, Win XP and the AVI worked fine for me.

Grundislav, I have a question, how do you make a movie from a single image, like you did, simply by zooming in/out or panning across it? What programs did you use for that?
We are number one! All others are number two, or lower. - The Sphinx
Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever. - Shane Falco
Instagame (FREE resources for your games!)

cornjob

Hey, I checked it out, and it's great. I like the graphics... too bad we didn't get to see more of the various people's personalities. Anyway, rock on, man.

Sluggo

This game's awesome!  I was up 'till 6:00 in the morning downloading the voice pack, but it was worth it! And I found one of the easter eggs: Accuse Francisco. I couldn't find any others though (and I didn't read this whole thread, so somone may have mentioned others).

cpage

BruisedWeasel

Woohoo! I downloaded that thingy-ma-jigger you recommended, grund, and everything works great!

Now to set aside time for the voice files...

Andail

Haha, that's great...Ghormak did a quite good voice impression of me, but the graphic did me too much a favour; I'm much skinnier than that. Very nice little game anyway.

AGS User

That was ... how should I say ... awesome. Bravo! I just loved accusing the main characters of AGS itself... especially CJ! :) hahaha... loved it... voice makes it even better!! Great work!! Nice graphics!! Keep up the dam good work!!

MachineElf

Hehe, this was cool, although I expected more of a puzzle or something... The Sierra GUI is totally unnecessary as you don't do much except talking and perhaps looking at things.

The character graphics are splendid, but the backgrounds were a little too blurred I think.

Overall a fun experience.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

MillsJROSS

I thought this wasd a well put together game, and grundi, you did a great voice acting job. You really conivinced me, kind of sounded a little bit like Mrs. Doubtfire. It cracked me up. Good job!

-MillsJROSS

agsking

Wow! This game is awsome and I loved the voice acting. I wish I could see the vidio but I don't know where to extract the zip file with the codec thing.

Also, I am having the same prob. as sylpher- the game freezes up after I talk to AGA... The voice gets all screwed up and it frezze.  BTW- the animations are GREAT.

djimmer

Hey,

Cool game! Had a good time playing it.
Just a question: How do you make those intro movies? I mean from animation to AVI?

--djimmer

Grundislav

Thanks for the continuing positive feedback. :)

To answer your question, the intro movie was made with Flash, then exported as an AVI.

Matt Brown

I really liked this game. I was the best animated game I have played with AGS, even better then perminant daylite. The different AGS users bit was funny, allthough it could have been funnier. I liked the voice acting, and the cat bit. I lament the total and utter lack of puzzles, and the logicness of the actual mystery, but who cares?? I liked it!
word up

monkeyman1138

I also get the talking to AGA bug but the difference is I don't have te voice pack,Any ideas?

Igor

monkeyman1138

Please tell me what I should do to get the bloody game to not freeze when I talk to AGA!P.S  don't have the  voice pack

Squinky

Loved the game, It's made me want to look into this whole "Talking Games" thing...
Also I'm looking forward to zombie granny killer....

Kyp

VERY GOOD GAME! , i solved the mystery in the first try,, i liked that alot , great , i vote that one as well.

ramiman

i dont have the voice pack, and i cant even get into the game! when i click the third option for no voice pack, it quits to the desktop! and i havent had this problem with any other game. Strange.

Jumpy

Having similar troubles! The game wont get any further than the speech selection screen. Have downloaded the voice pack, and didnt improve things! Any of the three options always quits the game and takes me to the desktop! Argh, i really wanna play as well cos it sounds sooo good!

Andail

Quote from: Kyp on Thu 01/08/2002 14:09:04VERY GOOD GAME! , i solved the mystery in the first try,, i liked that alot , great , i vote that one as well.

It'd be more impressive if you managed Not to solve the mystery in your first try :)

Matt Brown

no matter how you guess, it's right. thats why you can guess lots of people. One time, I typed in Chris Jones, and it didn't work. I thought only 2MA2 was the killer. Boy is my face red.
word up

cerebrit

I really liked the voice acting in this, what program(s) did you use for the recording of the policeman and grandma zombiekiller?   Any special audio equipment?

KANDYMAN-IAC

I have to say i found it hilarious.... I thought Mods's confession speech was the bestest....

it made me feel like i was back at mittens... ohhhhh :D
"Don't lose the bluecups they may be our only hope....!!1!!!1"

"I'm jealous of all of you guys, which means. I love your work, I just hate you as a person.... wait thats not right."

TerranRich

Huh, I didn't know you could accuse just anybody. I, too,  tried Chris Jones and it didn't work. Maybe it should've been Chris or just CJ?

Overall, it was excellent! Chris Jones holding a shovel was hilarious. "What shovel?"

AGA

It says 'first name' or 'nickname', so 'Chris' or 'CJ'...

Hobbes

I, too, love this game! :)

The accuse-whoever-you-want thing is really neat. Esp. the easter eggs... great humour!

Pumaman

To those of you where it crashes on the speech selection screen - try deleting or renaming the mittens.avi file and then running the game - see if it works then.

If it does work after doing that, could you let me know your operating system and DirectX version.

jannar85

Quote from: Jay V on Fri 19/07/2002 12:18:45hahaha!!! That was too funny! I loved every second of it!!! :D

But . . . for some reason the opening movie wouldn't play as part of the game. :( boo hoo . . . . . .

Download DivX
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk