A magic stone (September MAGS)

Started by Sinitrena, Fri 24/09/2004 16:26:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Story:
You are Nolan, a young man who is half human half elve. His father, a human, sends him on a mission to find and destroy the last 'magic stone' The magic stone is a dangerous magic object that was developed to fight against demons but it turned out to be more dangerous for those who made it.

Screenshot:

This game is half Point&Click Adventure and half RPG.
A fighting system is part of the RPG part and I thought of making it a template. Is someone interessted? Please post it here.
You can download the game here.
I would be really thankful if someone could make a download mirror.

A walkthrough to this game is also available. Pleas click here

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm interested in the template, so I can host it in my website along all the others in the collection.

EDIT - Scratch that, I can't seem to connect to my site anymore. But I'd still like the template, I collect them.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Bernie

The download doesn't seem to contain the game exe file. Please fix it. :)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Yes it does. I played it. Got stomped by the sphinx riddle, BTW - any hints?

EDIT - Nevermind, forgot the walkthrough. Nice graphics, nice idea, nice story, but, like with your previous game (I disremember the name, something about a dog) I think that it could have been so much better if it were better written. For instance, it's Hit Points, not Points of Hit. These trivial things to tend to bore the eye eventually. And the not-so-trivial things, like the dialogs. I'm sorry I can't be any more specific, but I felt that they were really just the indispensable - although you have obviously tried to make it not so, with your many dialog options and possible conversation tracks. Overall, it could be better written, methinks.

BTW, I've got the feather but can't give it to the Centaur... I don't have any inventory, apparently, and still have the same dialog options. What gives?

Kneel. Now.

Sinitrena

QuoteThe download doesn't seem to contain the game exe file.
You have to download two zip-files. Look carefully there are two links for the game in my first post and one for a walkthrough.

QuoteGot stomped by the sphinx riddle
Even if you don't need the answer anymore I will explain why this is the answer ('cause I didn't explained it in the walkthrough):
Spoiler
You have to count how many times one nummber is in the previos line. In the first line there is one 1, so the second line is 11. In the second line there are two 1's, so the third line is 21. In the third line there is one 2 and one 1, so this makes 1211 and so on.
[close]

QuoteI've got the feather but can't give it to the Centaur... I don't have any inventory, apparently, and still have the same dialog options.
Spoiler
First you have to talk to the centaur. After that try to give him the feather. You don't lose it in your inventory and you don't get a new item but the centaur tells you to bury the feather (If you talk to the centaur again he will tell you to bury it again). (If you try to give the feather to the centaur nothing happens, except for a massage that he won't give the feather to the centaur) You need a shovel to finish this puzzel. Go back to the dwarf. The next step is only possible if you already finished the 'magic hatchet' puzzel. After recieving the map from the dwarf just talk to him once more. He'll give you the shovel. Go back to the centaur and use the shovel on the hill. Use the feather on the hole. Use the shovel on the hole. Talk to the centaur. Puzzel finished.
[close]
I tried this puzzel again to make sure there isn't a bug. There is always a massage when you try to give the centaur the feather, so you should always be able to 'give him the feather' but he won't take it.

Quoteit's Hit Points, not Points of Hit
Really? I looked this word up in a dictionary, but well, I'll change it.

QuoteI felt that they were really just the indispensable
I don't understand what you mean. Could you explain it a bit more?

QuoteNice graphics, nice idea, nice story
Thanks

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

But how can I acess my inventory? I know that's dumb, but I don't see any way I can.

About the "indispensable" bit - I don't really know how to put this, except for one way, which is really a fault of many - not just your - games. The way the characters talk, go straight to the point (for instance, the way the centaur goes about how he knows Nolan's on a quest), doesn't look realisitc or appealing. It doesn't feel like dialog, mostly, more like directions - you talk to X and X says "Do this" or "Thanks for that" or "I need X". Now, not EXACTLY like this, of course, I did enjoy the Elven girlfriend and dwarf's dialog to some degree, but... well, I'm sorry I can't put it any better - it doesn't sound realistic, and IMO appealing.

But hey, that's just my opinion.

Kneel. Now.

Gord10

Just finished it. Nice game :) But I didn't like the fighting system, because it was too hard. I had to use the Ctrl+S cheat to gain healing and magic potions. Though this, it was a nice game. Also I loved the surprising ending. :)Ã, 

QuoteBut how can I acess my inventory? I know that's dumb, but I don't see any way I can.
It's in the right-top corner.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Bernie

You have to download two zip-files. Look carefully there are two links for the game in my first post and one for a walkthrough.

Heh, how could I miss this? :)

Anyway, I just downloaded it and wanted to say that I really love the old school look of the characters - they remind me of Sierra's SCI text parser games, well done!

Phemar

Just finished. I'm voting for you, ;)

Great game, I loved it. It was a little TOO hard IMO, and I also had to ctrl+s a lot to win, especially at the end.

Great game, keep it up!

BTW, are the characters Sierra traces at all? They look very similiar.

Sinitrena

About the "indispensable" bit - I don't really know how to put this, except for one way, which is really a fault of many...
Well, now I understand what you mean, and I think you're perhaps right. I know that this is a fault of my game and for the next ones I will pay more attention in dialogs.
QuoteBut I didn't like the fighting system, because it was too hard. I had to use the Ctrl+S cheat to gain healing and magic potions.
QuoteIt was a little TOO hard IMO, and I also had to ctrl+s a lot to win
I know it's hard, especially if you don't use the walkthrough
Spoiler
and go to the secret room. There are a lot of magic and life potions
[close]
BTW, it's a lot easier if you wait a bit every time you killed an enemy because the magic energy refreshes itself very fast
Spoiler
Just wait a bit untill the magic energy is at its maximum. Heal yourself and wait again for the max. of the magic energy. And always use magic when fighting!
[close]
ctrl+s cheat? I must have forgotten to change the debug mode! :o But I won't change it now.
QuoteJust finished. I'm voting for you,
Hey, thanks, I hope you're not the only one. ;)

sunshinegold

Quote from: Zoraphus on Sat 25/09/2004 15:45:43
Just finished. I'm voting for you, ;)

Great game, I loved it. It was a little TOO hard IMO, and I also had to ctrl+s a lot to win, especially at the end.

Great game, keep it up!

BTW, are the characters Sierra traces at all? They look very similiar.

Can you tell me where is the HOLY HILL ???

Thanks

Sinitrena

QuoteCan you tell me where is the HOLY HILL
Spoiler
It's in the room where the centaur is in. It's to the right of the centaur, a hotspot of, perhaps, 40 pixels high and wide.
[close]

sunshinegold

Quote from: Sinitrena on Sat 25/09/2004 23:56:32
QuoteCan you tell me where is the HOLY HILL
Spoiler
It's in the room where the centaur is in. It's to the right of the centaur, a hotspot of, perhaps, 40 pixels high and wide.
[close]

Thanks for your help. :)

I have now completed the game :P

It was a good game but I was getting fed up with the battles.

I preferred the 'Special Dog' but that is only my opinion.

Hope you make another game  soon. :)

Edwin Xie

Hmm, I just finished the adventure part of the game and the first part of the RPG (as mentioned in the walk through) but I am confused still.... Anyway, If I knew how to vote I would vote for this game for the MAGS competition
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Here's one still waiting for the template, BTW...

Kneel. Now.

Problem

The idea of mixing up elements of adventures and rpg is very good. I liked the game a lot, but the story could be more original. As already said, in the second part I think the battles were too hard and too much. There still is room for improvements, but there are no real weak points in this game and the idea is very good.  I'd love to see more games of that kind, and I hope you keep up that great work! Thumbs up!

Alun

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 24/09/2004 23:09:48
Quoteit's Hit Points, not Points of Hit
Really? I looked this word up in a dictionary, but well, I'll change it.

Er... you looked it up in a dictionary?  Okay, I've got to ask... what kind of dictionary includes the word "hit point"?  (Albeit includes it incorrectly, if it actually said "point of hit".)  I mean, that's a very RPG-specific term; it's not really in general use.  In fact, technically it's a Dungeons-&-Dragons-specific term, other major RPGs having come up with their own terms for the concept, though a few relatively minor RPGs have admittedly copied D&D.  It just surprises me that it would make its way into any language dictionary.  Heck, it's not even in the Oxford English Dictionary, and that thing runs to well over ten thousand pages!

Soup - The Comic Strip
http://www.soupcomic.com
Gods, heroes, monsters, and soup

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ok, I think I'm gonna keep bumping this until you post that template. ::)

Kneel. Now.

Edwin Xie

Still waiting on a walkthrough for the RPG part. :P
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Sinitrena

QuoteStill waiting on a walkthrough for the RPG part.
??? I'm a bit confused: There is a walkthrough for the RPG part (It's not written, it's just a map, but you don't need anything else) ???

QuoteEr... you looked it up in a dictionary?  Okay, I've got to ask... what kind of dictionary includes the word "hit point"?
Actually, not a real dictionary but an online translater (I should really stop to use them, really)

QuoteOk, I think I'm gonna keep bumping this until you post that template.
It will take longer than I thought to make the template. Basically because I wrote all ints and other stuff in german so there are a few thing I have to translate and other things I should explain in the script (things I don't understand myself anymore. I have to re-read the script and find out what every line meant) But, well, it will be finished in one week, I think. ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk