Black Cauldron remake 1.2

Started by dreammaster, Sun 26/09/2004 14:23:46

Previous topic - Next topic

dreammaster

EDIT: Version 1.2 has been released - it fixes a problem with the game not properly ending if Gurgi sacrifices himself for you.

EDIT: I've uploaded a new version that fixes the problem with the restore button on the death dialog not working.

I'm pleased to announce version 1.1 of my Black Cauldron remake. In addition to giving all the gui's a consistant look and feel, this new version alsoÃ,  includes:

* Support for more than 20 saves (I wrote my own save/restore wrapper code)
* Full keyboard support in the save/restore dialogs
* Double click support in the save/restore dialogs
* The up/down arrows in the save/restore dialog support repeatedly scrolling

I've also fixed a few bugs that people have found in the game.

You can download the game from http://tg_comics.tripod.com/bc.html

The download contains both the executable and the full source for the game - hopefully, the source will be helpful to other people starting out with AGS.

Pft!

Well you should of made better GUIs, the GUIs that are there dont match the game at all sorry to say.

Iv4n

Found one bug: when you are at the brige screen, go to the lower left corner and you will find yourelf on the other side of the fence.

Pft!

Yeah I got that bug too. Great game BTW add some new GUI's and its a master piece, I've never wanted to play BC before you remade it.  8)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Another remake as first project... AGIStudio and SCIStudio make it ideal, I guess.

I haven't gotten far, haven't really even tried, but a couple of things:

1 - SQ4.5 has a point about the GUIs. If you can't draw, try and make something fitting. For instance, my GUI for Larry 2 remake was very, very simple - in the style of the entire game. It was basically like the game's original pop-down menu (visually, not functionally). Consider this.

2 - Careful with that goat in the 2nd screen! If the goat hits you, it won't move on right away! It might keep hittihng you 3, 4, 5 times at a stretch before moving on!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

dreammaster

Thanks for the feedback and bug reports.  8) I'll have to have a think about the GUIs, and see if I can figure out a style of GUI that would suit the game a bit better.

Kweepa

Get someone here to do some GUI elements for you.
You just have to ask!
Not me mind you - I haven't played Black Cauldron. And I'm not going to until the GUI fits  ;D
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Developer

Why not make a GUI like RedruM's Larry 2 remake?

Pesty

I've only played a little bit, but I'm confused by everyone's criticism. What's wrong with the GUI? It's a Sierra game and, although the backgrounds and characters are AGI, it fits fine. If it were in VGA would it be any different than other VGA remakes of AGI games that Sierra did officially and Tierra did unofficially? Just because it's the AGS ult GUI doesn't mean it's wrong for every game.

Now, aside from that, I would like to see the graphics redone in VGA. Because it's a remake, it should have more than just a point and click interface added. I never finished the original Black Cauldron, though, so I'll still play this one, but you might keep redoing the graphics in mind for maybe a later re-release.
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

dreammaster

Thanks for the enthusiastic response. I'd certainly have redone the graphics if I had any graphics talent. As it is, if anyone's ever interested in providing VGA graphics, I'd certainly be willing to integrate them.

I'm currently putting the fine touches on a consistant GUI interface, complete with my own implementation of the save and restore dialogs. It should be ready within the week for a version 1.1 release.

Bigryan

When that goat hit me I was stuck eternally.

I was a big black cauldron fan as it was my first adventure game ever played.

dreammaster

Yes, version 1.1 will contain a fix for that - I've set up a flag so that the goat won't butt you a second time until it's been a fair distance away from you after the first butt. I'm still sorting out the custom save/load code, and am hoping to have it done by the end of the weekend.

iron_man

I downloaded your game dreammaster, and i have to say that you did a very nice job!Ã,  :=
The source can be very helpful for the begginers and it was a kind move of yours.

I believe that soon an artist will help with the graphics.
Someone called auroranoir(do not remember the exact name) had draw some good backgrounds for this game.
Does anyone have his email?

How long did it take you to program the game ?

PS : are you interested in replacing your current icons
(hand, talk, walk etc) with colored icons of space quest 4 CD ROM version ? or even king's quest colored pointers ?

Rulaman

Hi there,

I loaded the source into AGS, but when I selected a room
AGS gives me an error:

---------------------------
AGS Editor
load_room: room file created with newer version (too many hotspots/objects)
OKÃ,  Ã, 

PS: I use the version 2.61
whats wrong?
I haven't found any newer version.
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

JBiker51

Hey, Rulaman? You look a little like my cousin. ;D And the Black Cauldron remake looks like a promising adventure game. I haven't really gotten to play it, but I probably will. Still waiting for Apprentice 3: Checkmate! , so until then, I am a forum game hunter.
"Never leave a penguin unattended" -Weebl and Bob

splat44

Quote from: JBiker51 on Sat 16/10/2004 02:04:30
Hey, Rulaman? You look a little like my cousin. ;D And the Black Cauldron remake looks like a promising adventure game. I haven't really gotten to play it, but I probably will. Still waiting for Apprentice 3: Checkmate! , so until then, I am a forum game hunter.

Yes, Apprentice series are great. Apprentice developement will probably start in year 2005 as state in following link. So I providing that for your information.

http://herculeaneffort.adventuredevelopers.com/app3.html

Rulaman

Hey I got it,

i have downloaded the new Beta version 2.62.
Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

dreammaster

Yeh, sorry I didn't reply too quickly. As you found out, the current source has been compiled with the latest beta. It's taken kind of longer than I expected to get the save/restore dialogs working properly, since I want them to have more than 20 slots, which means I had to implement my own ordering code. Hopefully I'll get it finished shortly.  ;D

iron_man

dreammaster, how many months did it take you to finish this project?

dreammaster

About two months for the main body of the game, once I got beyond general experimenting with AGS and decided to concentrate on remaking Black Cauldron. But keep in mind that I dedicated a lot of time to it, frequently working until after midnight on weekdays, and all day on the weekends.

I somewhat sacrificed my social life whilst working on it, but it was so damn engrossing, and so cool to see the game coming to life as a result of my efforts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk