Constance the Barbarian (September MAGS)

Started by Pelican, Mon 27/09/2004 02:23:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

O.K. I've finally finished. And here it is:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/game-haven/CTB.zip

Constance the Barbarian - A humourous take on Conan the Barbarian/Xena Warrior Princess, with a dash of Monkey Island.

Please go easy on it. It's my first game, and has been mostly a learning project. And I spent so much time on improving my backgrounds, that I didn't get as much time to spend on other areas. Anyway, enjoy (if you can). And constructive criticism please, if you feel like commenting.

Edwin Xie

Hehe, Conan the Barbarian/Xena Warrior Princess and a dash of Monkey Island. I get a vibe telling this will be a good game.

Edit: Hmm, the quest seems easy.....just need to get the feather.
EDIT2: Ehh, this game seems quite easy. If anyone needs help on this here is a short walkthorugh....Or am I going to ruin it for you guys?
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Sinitrena

The download doesn't work for me. Um, well, the download works but my computer tells me the zip-file is destroyed in some way. Could you try to fix it? Or is it a fault of my computer? :'(

EDIT: Nevermind. I tried it again and it worked. Must have been something wrong with my computer. Sorry

Albert Cuandero

Nice first game. Pelican! I will note the things that could use improvement later - it's all meant in a constructive way, OK?

It shows great potential, no big mistakes and it rolls down smoothly.

The dialogues, the idea and the character great!!!

BUT (yes there always is one)

you should have taken maybe more time for this. While some rooms (or most of them) show great potential, some have simply an unfinished look (eg. the cave) That's a pity since you CAN produce great graphics. Also the walkcycle looks rather improvised...

Even for a short game this one is way too short and too easy - just my thoughts...

One little bug (or maybe not?) even after reading the plants book, the description of the wishlist ends with "what's that flower" (or something like that)...

I didn't really like the music to be honest - it is much too monotonous even for the very short game time.

And last: "Rincegust" !?

@ SQ4.5

QuoteWheres the feather?

Spoiler
in the pillow
[close]
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Sinitrena

Nice little game, but much too short and much too easy. I finished it in five minutes.
One little logical bug I noticed:
Spoiler
I picked up the flower before I had the encyclopedia (sp). But the main character knew that this was the flower she would need in the potion.  ???
[close]

Pft!

Quote from: Sinitrena on Mon 27/09/2004 19:24:53
Nice little game, but much too short and much too easy. I finished it in five minutes.
One little logical bug I noticed:
Spoiler
I picked up the flower before I had the encyclopedia (sp). But the main character knew that this was the flower she would need in the potion.Ã,  ???
[close]

I agree.  ???

Problem

It is okay for a first try.
The weakest point is the music. It really would have been better without this music. Music contributes to the athmosphere as long as it is well done. But otherwise it can really get annoying. You could have used some soundeffects instead. The walking animation could also be improved, and the game was quite short.

BUT (yes, this is a positive "but"  ;))
all in all this is a good first adventure, there were no big mistakes, some nice jokes and you did a good job on background graphics. I think there is a lot of potential, so I'd like to see more of your work  :)

Pft!

Pelican

Thanks for all your comments. As I said, this was a learning project mostly, so it was nowhere near what I wanted it to be. To address some of the points made:

-Yes, it is very easy. That was intentional. I didn't want to plan out too big a game, with complicated puzzles, and find my scripting talent wasn't up to it.

-Yes, I came across a problem with the whole flower thing when I was finishing everything up. For some reason, the code I had put in to check if you had read the enclyclopedia didn't seem to work, and I couldn't pick it up at all. So, I just had to cut it out, so I could submit it in time.

-Yes the music is dire. I had spent so much time trying to improve my backgrounds that all I had the energy or inspiration for was a quick little tune. Music is not my strong point either, and it's not quite as easily improved as artwork.

-Yes, the sprites are pretty dire too. Now that I'm a bit more comfortable with my backgrounds, I'm going to work on improving sprites now.

Final note: Would anyone actually be interested in seeing more of Constance's adventures? I thought of redoing this game, now that I'm not under time-restrictions, but also thought perhaps I should treat this as an intro or a prequel to a bigger game. I'd probably do it anyway, just for myself, but I'd be nice to know if anyone else thinks its a good idea. ;D

Albert Cuandero

QuoteWould anyone actually be interested in seeing more of Constance's adventures? I thought of redoing this game, now that I'm not under time-restrictions, but also thought perhaps I should treat this as an intro or a prequel to a bigger game. I'd probably do it anyway, just for myself, but I'd be nice to know if anyone else thinks its a good idea.Ã, 

Yes surely. Keep it up! Nice idea using this as an intro to the "real" game! See you in CL thenÃ,   ;D
int do_you_like_me;
if (do_you_like_me == 1) Display ("You can call me Al");
else {}

Problem

I think it is interesting enough for a bigger game, and without time limits you could make a funny game that's really worth playing  :)

JBiker51

Wow, this is your very first game? I'm very impressed. Looks like there will be a lot to look forward to from you.
"Never leave a penguin unattended" -Weebl and Bob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk