Tutorial demo game for making RPG's with AGS (Finally started ^^; )

Started by Gord10, Sat 02/10/2004 15:40:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Gord10

Hello :)
I'm thinking of making a demo game with its source code, which teaches making RPG's with AGS. It will be called "Quest For The Blue Cup" and include all the scripts for turn-based fighting system, different endings changes according on our decisions etc. I wonder if anyone would be interested and where I would announce this tutorial game.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Phemar

Actually I just started making a turn-based battle system and Old-style pokemon/first final fantasy gameplay template.

I say go for it, I'd love to see the differences in the way that each of us does ours.

TerranRich

Go for it! I could link to it in the Beginners' Forum with all the people asking about RPGs in AGS. :P

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

And don't forget to make a template from it!
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Sinitrena

It's a really good idea to make a RPG demo game. I thought of it myself. (Actually I make a template out of the fighting system I used in my september MAGS game). I saw the system you used in your RPG and I think you saw mine. They are different and there are a lot of other systems you could use in an RPG game.

That's why I want to suggest you something: Perhaps we could work on this demo game together to show all people who are interested in making RPG's with AGS more than one way to do it. I thought of a RPG system based on the system used in "Realms of Arkania" (perhaps you know it, if not I think there is a download on http://www.abandonia.com) I think it would be a good idea to show as many different systems as possible to make some kind of "standard" demo game for RPG's.

If you're intressted to work together with me, please PM me.  8)

Gord10

Thanks, I'll go for it :) But I haven't decided which style I will use for the game yet:
a) A serious game like Asporia: Hidden Threat. I'll use pre-rendered 3D graphics again.
b) A funny game with jokes about AGS. I'll use cartoon style graphics. Our quest will be to find the Blue Cup which was stolen by the followers of the evil Green Cup; and the quest will be given us by CJ, the arch mage of the High Blue Clerist Tower. We will start the game as a n00b, but we will get experienced later. But I will need an artist as my drawing skills suck :(
P.S: I've sent the PM, Sinitrena. Yes, we can work together. I think this game would be better if it includes different kinds of RPG systems for each chapters.Ã, 
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

WackyWildCard

Quote from: Gord10 on Sat 02/10/2004 15:40:48
Hello :)
I'm thinking of making a demo game with its source code, which teaches making RPG's with AGS. It will be called "Quest For The Blue Cup" and include all the scripts for turn-based fighting system, different endings changes according on our decisions etc. I wonder if anyone would be interested and where I would announce this tutorial game.

Whichever way you make it, I think that is an exciting idea!

Yes please let me know when it will be ready!

I'm designing a Sci-Fi/Fantasy Adventure/RPG Game: Knight's Quest: Shield Search and it would really help my project!

Again, please let me know when it is ready to download!
I'll be most grateful.

Thanks.

ManicMatt

Yes Gord! It's been OVER TWO YEARS since you mentioned it! When will it be ready?

Gord10

Errr, I just thought people weren't so excited about it. It seems like it is not such a bad idea for me to make that demo game.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

WackyWildCard

Quote from: Gord10 on Thu 04/01/2007 06:53:35
Errr, I just thought people weren't so excited about it. It seems like it is not such a bad idea for me to make that demo game.

So sorry that not enough people were giving you support for your RPG in AGS Tutorial Program Project! Please realize you have my moral support!

Also, if you do get the Tutorial Program up and running, and I am successfully able to complete my Adventure/RPG Game Project by means of it, I'll make sure to put you in my credits page in the game, ok?  ;D

Dan_N

Go for it, Gord! Seriously.

After I saw your tutorial in the agswiki, I got inspired, and I started working on a battle mech/RPG/adventure/space trading sim.

Also, when are you going to update the tutorial?

And I'd like to see the funny RPG done.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do :).

Gord10

OKay people.
I seriously have just started working on this RPG tutorial game. If I can achieve, it will be both a template and module. I will try to script multiple RPG systems inside every level. The graphics will be simplimistic.
I will let you know my progress.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

WackyWildCard

Quote from: Gord10 on Fri 05/01/2007 23:16:12
OKay people.
I seriously have just started working on this RPG tutorial game. If I can achieve, it will be both a template and module. I will try to script multiple RPG systems inside every level. The graphics will be simplimistic.

ALL RIGHT!

I'm thrilled to hear that! Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Postmodern_Boy

This is a great idea!  I think a lot of people will be very happy to see it, myself included.

WackyWildCard

Quote from: Gord10 on Fri 05/01/2007 23:16:12
OKay people.

I'm working on my Adventure/RPG game as we speak. I would like to know, Gord10, if you can somehow incorporate Armor Strength and Shield Strength, as well as Hit Points. Y'know, say if the hero is a Knight or some kind of warrior with armor. The armor and shield would reduce his/her damage points. What do you think? That would be really helpful!

Gord10

AC point is something I'm thinking of adding. RPGs need it :)
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Dan_N

Don't forget to add some towns, or some shops, where the player can buy verious items, Gord. :D

Also, enchanted items would be very nice, like the Sword of Many Deaths, which deals 30% more damage or something.

Of course, if you feel like it ;D.

Stupot

Haha... "The Sword of Many Deaths"...  like it, thats a game title in it's own right, surely.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out Gord. Go for it.

charliechuck

Good luck with this, I thought of making a tutorial for Adventure Quest 2 as I was making it, but (as usual) never got around to it.

WackyWildCard

Hey Gord! How's the Game Template coming along! I'm still so excited - I have some great graphics that I'm working on with my game, I'll give you updates on my game-in-progress announcement of Knight's Quest: Shield Search ASAP. In the mean time, I have some more ideas that may or may not be helpful for the RPG Game Template/Demo for AGS - Could you please include:

- Simple GUI Graphic indicators, perhaps for hit points and armor strength, etc...like a power bar? Simple number indicators are ok as well

- money GUI indicators

- healing abilities, perhaps from a bottle of medicine

- The ability to choose to either attack with weapon, block with your shield or flee!

- If you are riding a horse, the abiltiy to dismount at certain parts of the game

- Different weapons have different attack strengths; some weapons are more powerful than others e.g a sword may be more powerful than a bow and arrow, but a bow and arrow can shoot a farther distance?

- The ability to repair armor, when the armor is damaged, perhaps you could go to a blacksmith to get it repaired, or, use an armor repair potion to magicly make the armor good as new!

- The ability to defeat certain monsters, only if you combine certain items, e.g. just an example - a giant evil monster scarecrow attacks you, regular weapons, have no effect, too strong or heals itself - use bow and arrow with flaming arrow! Set the monster scarecrow on fire!

- the abiltiy to obtain treasures that could aid you on your quest.

That's all I've go for now. More in the future.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk