Ben Jordan Case 3

Started by Grundislav, Sun 03/10/2004 07:41:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Just in time for October, the spoooookiest month of the year!

http://www.agsforums.com/games.php?action=detail&id=454

It's a large download, I know. But this is what separates the true fans from the casual gamers! Or something like that.

Edwin Xie

;D I have been waiting for this moment. I would download large games if they are great, like this, only it's better...
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

[Cameron]

UP

Two words: w00t w00t!

Finally! The audiotrailer was already too much...
(If you don't know it: http://www.agagames.com/grundislav/bj3trailer.mp3 )

Hmm... Stuck it appears:
Spoiler
The old lady was murdered, and I've talked to the imprisoned girl... I've seen the writings on the tree, but can't do anything with them...
[close]

Vel

Great game, finished it, and it told me to take the other path to learn all... However, I dont understand WHAT other path...

Athirwen

Quote from: Not Yet... on Sun 03/10/2004 10:57:47Hmm... Stuck it appears:
Spoiler
The old lady was murdered, and I've talked to the imprisoned girl... I've seen the writings on the tree, but can't do anything with them...
[close]
I'm stuck in the same place. But so far, great game!

crazyman

first:
Spoiler
When you didn't get shot  let him shoot
you
[close]
second:
Spoiler
When you did get shot don't let him schoot you,trow the bloody crowbar
[close]
Hope this helps.

crazyman

Spoiler
Did you look in the flowerbin next to Wilma's house?
[close]
Then if you're still stuck
Spoiler
After you broke in the tower look at the board in the sunlight
[close]

Ashen

How many endings are there? I've played two, but didn't get the maximum score on either of them, and both left unanswered questions. Am I just missing something?

Whatever great game, even better than the first two, if only becuse there was more to it. It'll be interesting to see if the alternate endings make any difference to Ben Jordan 4.

EDIT: I see, I must've just not noticed getting the last few points on the 'Good' ending, and yes, there was just the one question left unanswered.
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

Grundislav

There are two endings, each corresponding to a different "path."
Spoiler
the split occurs when the constable has you at gunpoint
[close]

You can get the maximum score if you take the "good" path. That one will leave you with only one unanswered question, but it will be answered later in the series...

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Congratulations, Grundislav - the series just keep getting better and better. This latest game is very good, and here's (another) one waiting for the next one!

Incidently, I finished the good ending, with the one unanswered question... but am still 2 points short. What could I have missed?

Spoiler
Considering I gave all three 4 point responses in the interrogation.
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

UP

Excellent, excellent... I'm stuck again, but I'm not so badly I'd request help... But I'm still a bit confused about the Handbook... Can you do nothing with it?

Ashen

Not Yet:
Spoiler
You need the hand book to help translate the Witches Code, but it's only really important in the 'Good' ending. However, I don't think the Handbook inventory item does anything, except remind you to read it.
[close]
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

UP

Oh, there's a book in the file... I never saw that... I guess that's what you get for not reading the readme (though I was thinking there might be one... Never bothered to look though. Damn...)...

Duzz

I just finished, and I have to say I haven't got into an ags game as much as this for quite a while. Ã, 
I was stuck for a long time in the same place as Athirwen and Not Yet, but I probably spent 3/4 of an hour wandering around trying to figure out what to do instead of giving up, because I wanted to find out what happens next. Ã, Other than that one, I really enjoyed the pacing and puzzles, especially
Spoiler
where you pull the sheriff through the roof. Ã, Although I figured it out straight away, it was a refreshingly different 'escape' puzzle.
[close]

The Percy character seemed to give the game a lot of extra depth too, having him working towards the same goal as the player character makes the game feel more like there's things happening behind the scenes, rather than everything revolving completely around the player.

Apart from the size of the characters in BJ's room, and some lighting issues when a character walks out of the screen (and onto region 0), I didn't encounter any bugs. And the music was very atmospheric as well.
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

edmundito

Quote from: Duzz on Mon 04/10/2004 14:14:27
Apart from the size of the characters in BJ's room, and some lighting issues when a character walks out of the screen (and onto region 0), I didn't encounter any bugs. And the music was very atmospheric as well.

I'd blame Pumaman for this one. :P
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

ida

Great game! Enjoyed playing it thanks!

Loved the way there were different endings as well.

JBiker51

The first two games were "I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF, THIS IS SO HARD" frustrating. I'm gonna see how this one is. Oh, and could you make sure you make the games a little LESS harder than they are now? I feel like I'm going to go bald with all the hair I've been pulling out of my head recently.
"Never leave a penguin unattended" -Weebl and Bob

InCreator

about 80% of things ruled:

*just about enough of difficulty
*improved graphics, compared to first two games
*superb music
*pretty atmospheric and exciting story.
*a THIRD SEQUEL to an AGS game!
*non-linear plot
*many really good animations
Yeah!

but 20% sucked:
*some messed up bg's, especially with blur and color choice
*some lazy and non-existing animations where needed
*Despite suggesting same for first and second part, game STILL has no indicator pixel or crosshair on inventory items, which makes clicking difficult and annoying

Puzzle that is completeable with combination of things from inside and outside of the game... I really can't say that this is neither very good or bad idea. Some people avoid all kind of documentation outside the game. Then again, it adds some atmosphere even before starting to play.
Interesting idea, though. Haven't seen things like this for a long time.

I just took screenshots from both witch codes, pasted into MSpaint and copied the witch code translation pieces there too. Then, drew over every letter, according to the translation.
This was funny. I'm playing and adventure game in MSPaint  :D

Overall, great job!
Is fourth game started already?

edmundito

Quote from: JBiker51 on Wed 06/10/2004 11:14:28
The first two games were "I'M GOING TO KILL MYSELF, THIS IS SO HARD" frustrating. I'm gonna see how this one is. Oh, and could you make sure you make the games a little LESS harder than they are now? I feel like I'm going to go bald with all the hair I've been pulling out of my head recently.

Ben Jordan is considered one  of those games criticized for its lack of hard (or not hard) puzzles! Maybe you're taking the game too seriously.  :=

Quote from: InCreator on Wed 06/10/2004 22:39:11
Is fourth game started already?

Of course!* Our slavesâ,,¢ at MonkeyGames Entertainment® NEVER stop working... except for me.

*I'm lying.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk