Ben Jordan Case 3

Started by Grundislav, Sun 03/10/2004 07:41:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Ah, perfect score.Ã,  Great game.Ã,  My one nag, and something you might consider changing to make it more of a mystery:

Spoiler
the part where Ben is suddenly very suspicious of the McBee family after questioning them immediately sheds doubt upon their character day 1, and makes you suspect the town of a conspiracy right away.Ã,  Removing this initial suspicion would make it more difficult (and interesting) for the player to come to the conclusion, particularly once you start translating the witch code.
[close]

Anyway, that was my only issue.Ã,  Excellent work.

Mephistophilis

Damn! One of the Few games I'm waiting for then I miss it for 4 days due to Forum trouble, then it turns out to be FRICKIN' HUGE! Grrr, i think i'll need to get a Go!zilla thing for this, any suggetions on free ones?
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

viktor

This is a realy great game. I enjoyed the first two a lot. This one is the best one so far. I finished both paths and had fun with both. Any info if there's going to be a forth case?
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Quote from: Grundislav on Sun 03/10/2004 17:35:20
There are two endings, each corresponding to a different "path."
Spoiler
the split occurs when the constable has you at gunpoint
[close]

You can get the maximum score if you take the "good" path. That one will leave you with only one unanswered question, but it will be answered later in the series...

Does that answer your question? ::)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pet Terry

I just finished playing the first path and I must say excellent! The whole Witch code-thing reminded me of those puzzle adventure books. Very inspiring stuff, keep it up.

EDIT. I just accidentally read crazyman's spoilers and finished the second path aswell. Bring out the fourth part!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

mätzyboy

Ben Jordan does it again! Awesome game! I liked both paths.

I wonder what will come next. Ben Jordan, Paranormal Investigator, Case 4 - The loss of virginity pehaps?Ã,  ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Since you played both paths, here's a little snag in the story:

Spoiler
In the good path Ben sleeps with the girl, so he can't possibly be a virgin for the ceremony- yet he doesn't mention this fact to the vampires.
[close]

Pesty

Quote from: ProgZmax on Mon 11/10/2004 06:24:37
Since you played both paths, here's a little snag in the story:

Spoiler
In the good path Ben sleeps with the girl, so he can't possibly be a virgin for the ceremony- yet he doesn't mention this fact to the vampires.
[close]

Spoiler
The fact that the vampires tell him that they can tell he's a virgin after Mary spent the night with him proves that he didn't sleep with her. Just because they shared a bed doesn't mean anything went on in that bed.
[close]
ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

mätzyboy

I'm with Pesty on this one. I understood it like
Spoiler
Zoraphagus could in some way tell that Ben was a virgin, a fact that Ben didn't challenge.

I was expecting however, that the night with Mary would be his rescue from being sacrificed, something that in my opinion would have been a nice twist!

[close]

edmundito

ProgZMax-related converation:
Spoiler
Ben Jordan is a gentleman, though. Also, Mary is not a whore!
[close]
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Problem

I finished both paths. Fantastic game! I liked the first two, but case 3 is by far the best. It has more athmosphere and an interesting story. The music was fantastic. Some of the backgrounds could have been better, but that is not important. Great work!

Tomus

As other people in this post, I have to admit BJ3 really got me. I quite liked the first and the second one, but the third case is much more X-Files like and intriguing. If I was the author, I'd be mad from all the "I can't wait for BJ4, make it faster, larger, better..." messages, but in fact, I feel it like this too  ;).

Anyways - solid work. Expect a review in czech at http://plnehry.idnes.cz soon. It's written already and it only waits to be published, because we have a bunch of articles right now...

splat44

Quote from: Tomus on Tue 12/10/2004 20:04:41
As other people in this post, I have to admit BJ3 really got me. I quite liked the first and the second one, but the third case is much more X-Files like and intriguing. If I was the author, I'd be mad from all the "I can't wait for BJ4, make it faster, larger, better..." messages, but in fact, I feel it like this tooÃ,  ;).

Anyways - solid work. Expect a review in czech at http://plnehry.idnes.cz soon. It's written already and it only waits to be published, because we have a bunch of articles right now...

Yes, BJ3 is excellent.

Too bad the web link provided is not in english!

EKM

I beat this game yesterday and then went back to beat Ben Jordan 2 today. I love this series, I can't wait for the 4th.

The thing is, every Ben Jordan is perfect for the Halloween mood, not just particularly the third instalment. Anyway, I love the choice of puzzles and the plot...real interesting. I still think the first one is a classic haha.

afinch

???  I cant seem to download this game, I come to page that says the account has been suspended or something like that.  Can anyonelse download it because I really really want to play. 

edmundito

There's a mirror now available, you can download the game from there.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

GarageGothic

Thanks to the mirror site, I finally was able to play BJ3 this weekend. AWESOME game (as I expected ;))! It certainly suits the style of the series that the game is longer and that there's greater focus on the mystery (rather than unrelated puzzles as in BJ2).

I didn't get stuck a single time (other than having to wander around to find newly triggered events), but the puzzles were very nice. The inspiration from the GK games was obvious - the witch code in particular, but I also enjoyed the interrogation which reminded me of the conversation with Mosely, Bucelli and Madeleine in GK3. Two of the puzzles could probably have used more hints though:

Spoiler
1)Finding the crowbar in the flowers. Were there any visual hints for this?
2) Finding the diary under the floorboards (very Colonel's Bequest, by the way). The only hint seemed to be that the board was lighter, but according to the description that was because of the sun falling in. The only reason I tried it was that I knew there must be SOMETHING inside the tower (how would you get to the top of the tower anyway, there are no stairs or doors)
[close]

Another minor issue was that the graphics didn't really support the atmosphere. The very first image of arriving to the pub in the rain was awesome. I'd like to see more of that. Obviously the game has to take place at daytime, but it could have been much creepier - lots of fog etc. As it was now, everything seemed a bit too colorful and cheery.

But all in all a great game. The BJ series is certainly becoming one of the great titles within the AGS community, just like Pleurghburg and the Tierra games.

ggp

Please help;
Spoiler
Ive been shot and am in the dark room. Ive got out of the ropes and but the rope on the ceiling hook. When i pull it it says "As you pull you feel the board its attached to is loose" So i pull again, and again but it just says the same. What do i do ?
[close]

ggp

Still stuck on the ending above, but also;
Spoiler
In the 'good' ending i must be reading the witches code wrong, cause ive got it as 'eliminate pqj z' Ive checked it and thats what ive got, but the proffessor doesnt respond when i type it in. Is it wrong ?!
[close]

AGA

ggp:

Spoiler
It should be "eliminate pqj"
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk