Norman Cooks is finally ready!1!

Started by danny*, Wed 09/10/2002 17:31:38

Previous topic - Next topic

danny*

Hallo,
My first game "Norman Cooks in...SEARCH FOR THE DON" is finally ready!
It's a small game,easy to solve,and I have included the 2 avi alternative endings for the game!!
The file size is 6.85mb
I hope you like it!
Thanks...
i have uploaded a new version whith a couple of bug fixes,.....
(click on the link below to download game and see more screenshots!)
http://wizkid.adventuredevelopers.com/

veryweirdguy

My god that looks amazing! I'm downloading that right now! Give me a sec..........

Spyros

Damn 6MB!!!!!!!!!!
I can't get it from home

I'll get it tomorrow from my work
If it's reaaly is the way it looks prepare to be a GAC member.

SPREAD THE GAC AROUND!!!!!!!1111!1!!!1!111!!!!!111111

Visti

Nice graphics, I really like it. Really unique. Yet you need to check some serious grammar in dialogue and stuff. That almost makes the game unplayable, because it's so annoying and that's a pity, cause it's a really great demo.

danny*

Thanks Visti,i'll keep that in mind.....Was it that bad?????

HI Spyro,
in fact it is not as good as it seems,(Danny needs to learn scripting) is my pesonal text as you can see.......BUT I AM PREPARED  TO BE A G.A.C MEMBER AND TO SPREAD THE G.A.C AROUND!!!111!!!1!1!!1111

Scummbuddy

Only had a second to try it before I have to go to work.  Its looks great, and Im sure everyone will say the things I would.  

One thing to look out for, on your GUI at the bottom, the words Button 1 and such are showing through...
Don't mean to be a downer.  Its a fun game and I laughed out loud when I was talking with Baldie.  Not enough time to play the rest...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Spyros

If you need any help with coding just ask.
Kyriakos will be happy to help you.

danny*

QuoteIf you need any help with coding just ask.
Kyriakos will be happy to help you.
What do you mean by that?
Hey,Scummbudy...i didn't noticed that thing with the button.......thank you!!11!1

Spyros

That Kyriakos"The butcher" will help you.
Don't make me say that in Greek :)

danny*

katalava me tin proti fora!
Do you mean,helping to continue Norman Cooks, or help me in general?
....'cause Norman Cooks is done!1!
Soon i'll be starting a new one(Norman was kind of tutorial game for me111!!!!111)

Ionias

Very nice game. I don't like that you can't cycle the cursor modes with the right click button. But other than that it is a fine first game indeed!

elizabeth

Wow!  I havn't gotten very far into the game yet, but I really like what I've seen so far.  It looks great and the atmosphere is fantastic!

Spyros

AD is sown again AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!1!11!11!!11!11111

Igor

Great work Danny! Just finished the game and i loved every bit of it- beautiful to look at, atmospheric to listen to and funny to play. And no, grammar did not bother me (could be, because my grammar is even worse ;)).

Two thumbs up for this one and i can't wait to play your second game!

Oh, and Spyros- i think he is ready to join you in GAC :)

danny*

Thank you guys....
indeed Norman Cooks has some bugs(i'm very sorry about that),...but what i was checking out  mostly was the basic stuff.
-On my 2nd game i promise to do better...in scripting and stuff!!1!1
THANKS.
QuoteAnd no, grammar did not bother me (could be, because my grammar is even worse
Oh, and Spyros- i think he is ready to join you in GAC
Igor,my friend....you boost me up all the time!....THANK YOU...

Frankenblitz

Very good graphics!
The "explosion" and the "dancing" animation are really great!
I can't believe that this is your first game!!

2ma2 - stuck

It's very very neat. I laughed out loud when reading the paper. It's looks very professional, yet I don't know how to respond on it.

You see, the style per see is what I refer as amateurish professionalism. nothing wrong with it. It's absolutely fabulous artwise, yet it bugs me alot. I don't know why, but these kind of 3d rendered graphics get's on my nerves, probably because of bad experiences of crappy games made by firms on macromedia and similar.

The gameplay however, I have nothing to complain about, except not being able to cycle the cursors, since you didn't use more than one extra mode. Otherwise it's just fine, tho' I miss getting replies on the inetractions. This is somethnig I find important, that you have a reply for every interaction on the hotspots in question, especially when using the look mode. It's to much to ask for that when using inventories, but perhaps include this in the unhandled_event function as a static reply.

Great first game tho', and the scripting is very good. I've defently seen worse than that. It's a highclass, both in animations and similar. The cutscene outside the don was very nice :)

I'm stuck tho'
Spoiler
I found the secret door, and I don't know what to do with the safe(?). I have a lighter, teh card and matches. How do one open the lcoked door?
[close]

danny*

2ma2,thanks!1!
Hearing fom you means a lot!
About the game now:
since you're stuck
Spoiler
go back to Norman's office and search again
[close]

-

The explosion-video-sequence was cool... (like the rest of the game, surely)
But now I have just found one ending...

Spoiler
Can you say me, what`s do to with the safe? I have the lighter, the matches, the lockpick and the card.
[close]

danny*

HaiDang

WOW!! That makes The Longest Journey look like childplay!! I'll download your game right when I can!

We have Danny and Igor and others here .. I can imagine how future amateur adventure games will look like. And Pleurghburg (or whatever, sorry Chrille) proves the unbeliveable atmosphere. I haven't played much of homemade games before .. but I can say it's a bright future for adventure games!!111!!1!!111

Congrats Danny! Keep up the good work.

-

Nostradamus

Great game, especially for a first!

And now I have to use the two words I almost always use in here - I'M STUCK! - I can't do anything in the club - can't open the door at the ground floor, can't open the door at the top where the boss is.

-

@Nostradamus:

Spoiler
To open the door: Search the box between the books in the office.... The other door: First push the little statue at the left.
[close]

.Sklate.

das tobi, do u think u could help me, i'm stuck too :(

Spoiler
i'm stuck with the place at the safe
[close]

Spyros

That was one of the best first-game i've ever seen.
Great graphics and nice scripting. The only thing's that are missing are some replies to interactions.
Also the gameplay could be something like :
left click -walk
right click - look for objects, talk for characters, interact for doors.

Have you filled the GAC application form?

danny*

HEEEELLLOOOO Spyro!!111!
I 've been waiting for this reply like hell!!!111!!!111!
THANK YOU!!!!11!!!
Tell me now...AM I IN OR NOT?
1:I already did the underwear thing!(i was on the evening news),
2:I'll be needing some time to play all G.A.C games(..but i'm going to..!!1)
3:I made a game!!!!!1111!!!!!
OPEN THE DOOR YOU GUYS!!!!!!

PS:will my picture be under your pictures  in the G.A.C page?

Spyros

Yes, you have to send us a picture of you and swear that you're going to make more games (and make some backgrounds/chars for me)

danny*

ok...i'll send you my picture in your e-mail,.......i will definately make more games(no dought about that).......but those backrounds and characters that you are asking for....well....it is going to cost you Spyro!!!111!!!111!!!

Butcher

Spyros ... are you implying that I'm not good at scripting?????????

how dare you!!!

(1,"I ARES THE SCRPTING GENIUS");

well danny boy I'm downloading it right now...but I'm already sure that this'll be your ticket to GAC...and a real honour it is to have you on board...

now with that lotion we'll send you your hair will grow 20% faster than with any normal shampoo!

I'll get back to tell you my opinion of the game

---------------------

danny*

thanks Butcher,
....waiting for the damn lotion.....till then ill be wearing a wig!!!111!!!

Butcher

well...W O W ! that's all I have to say

this is more promising than a 3 year old gets to conduct an orchestra at the French Opera!

trully great graphics, very good scripting, pretty good story, and TERRIBLE HAIR! IT'S A DISGRACE!

but you're working on that too...so I guess it's ok!

keep it up fellow GAC!
---------------------

danny*

thanks brother,
what you've said is a litlle TOO MUCH,....but ....what the hell...!!....i like the opera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(plaka kano!)  ;D

MillsJROSS

I can't finish the game. I keep getting an error message right after I go to don's office after I have gotten all the inventory items and such.

(Room11 script 29)
Error: FaceCharacter, Characters are in diffrent rooms

-MillsJROSS

.Sklate.

i had the same problem too, but i replayed the game from scratch and it seemed fine

danny*

i got that error a couple of times when i was making the game,but it never appeared again.....weird!!!111!!!

Spyros

Check all your FaceCharacter commands in room 11 and make sure that all characters are in the room.
Also if a character might not be in the room run a check before the FaceCharacter command

danny*

..ok!...
what i did in the script is:
from room 3,after a sequence i script this:
character.room=11;
character.x=153;
character.y=135;
.....and the other char. is the main char.who enters  room11 and meets character BLACK.....!!!!
SO THEY BOTH ARE IN THE SAME ROOM.....right????   ??? ???

Spyros

Is there a chance that the main character enters the room without the sequence in room 3 being played?
Or you can do this
if (character.room=11) {
 FaceCharacter etc....
}

MillsJROSS

I like the dance thing, I missed it the first time. It's Chopin is it not?

-MillsJROSS

danny*

thanks!1
About the dancing track.....well...i don't remember.....sorry!

Nostradamus

I finally had time to continue the game yesterday and sorry but I'm still stuck. I pulled the little statue and entered the secret room but I can't open the safe. and I still can't enter the ground floor room

danny*

Spoiler
do you have the lockpicking tools?if not ,go back to Norman's office and search in the bookcase!
[close]

Nostradamus

help:
Spoiler
OK, I got the tools and opened the door at the ground floor. hat do I do with the liquid\hole?  I tryed using the lighter on the hole and died... and I still can't open the safe
[close]

danny*

Spoiler
you die in the basement!!!in the secret room ,look closer to the wall next to the safe
[close]

Nostradamus

I didn't find anything.. .I HATE pixel searching... and what do I do in the basement?

danny*

come on Nostradamus...
Spoiler
there is a litlle hole on the right side of the safe!!!!!!!use there the lockpicking tools!!!In the basement you just DIE!!!
[close]

Nostradamus

OK..  just know that that hole is very hard to find.. pixel hunting is BAD

petaglair

woho
danny you look serious
i think i have to speed up my work on my game to get a 12 mb game!! ha ha
i'll download it when i have the time
understand i really don't know when

great it's motivating

Pétaglair
Avec Nutricrotte° je voie là  differanse j'est même developper du mucsle