Melrin: The Dragon Menace

Started by Joacim Andersson, Tue 26/10/2004 07:44:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Joacim Andersson

The third installment of Melrin is now done and ready for you to enjoy or hate....

This time a rumour has reached the royal court that a dragon is pestering the country side. So the king sends out our hero Melrin to investigate.

The GUI is very simple, Left Click = Walk, Talk, or Interact with. Right Click (on an object or other character) = Look at.
The cursor flashes when you're over a hotspot or character with which you can interact.
Move the mouse to the top of the screen to see the inventory list and to be able to save and restore a game.

If you've played Melrin 2 : The Pendant Quest, you know how to handle the magical spell bits, but if you haven't here's a short explanation:

You have a Book of Spells in your inventory, right click on it to see the magical spells available. Pick one of the spells to read on how you create it.

To actually create a spell you need to put the correct items in your bowl (or couldron). Right click on the bowl to create a spell (if you have the correct items the spell is created) or to empty the bowl (and restore the items to your inventory list).

In this game you also have a magical map on which new locations turn up as soon as you hear about them. Right click on it to have a look at it and click on a location to immediatly be transported there.

This game have more puzzles then the earlier Melrin games. Here's a couple of screen shots:

To those of you that have played the demo version I earlier release of this game: Don't think you will have such an easy time during the first part of the game.... I've made some changes and also added a couple of puzzlesÃ,  ;)

Download from here (~2.1 MB)

Enjoy...

Joacim

Joacim Andersson

I forgot to mention that in a couple of places in this game there are items that even though they are in almost plain view they might be a little hard to notice at first glance. This is because the color of the items are simular to the background. But they are all pretty large and the cursor will flash when you're over them so I hope you don't think it's to much of a pixel hunt since that wasn't my intention.

ggp

Oh excellent, i love the Melrin games! Downloading now..........

ggp

Great so far, but im stuck;
Spoiler
Ive got; Tar, hankercheif, bread, shell, lemon rind, knife, bowl. But where are the berries ? Is it something to do with the well, also where is the string ?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The berries are locked inside the garden so you need to find the key (which is well hidden). You have obviously missed an item in the Skoog Forest.
[close]

ggp

Spoiler
Ive got the lemons and something else.....cough......and have also fallen down the hole with the little man in. I dont think i have anything on me though to stop his leak ? I though it was the water to milk spell i needed to make, but i havent got the honey for that......am i just completly off track here ?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Have a closer look at your hankercheif, you need some of the water though.
[close]

sdh

stuck with the dwarf blocking the way to the hairpin

Spoiler

i have knife, lemon, lemon rind, bread, shell, handkerchief
i suspect i need a pipe but can't find one.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

You don't need to create any spells to get pass the dwarf you just have to give him the correct item.
Spoiler
You have the correct item it's just hidden.... Have a closer look at your hankercheif
[close]

ggp

Im right at the very end, but....
Spoiler
How do you sour the cream ?!
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
What have you used before that is sour?
[close]

ggp

Yay, ive finished the game, and really enjoyed it.
Didn't find any bugs, thought the puzzles were logical and think it's a job well done  :)

luutje

where can i find the lemon.  i can't get into the well. i have tar, 2 bowls, handkerchief,shell,knife,bread, and a map with only 2 places to go. please help

Joacim Andersson

You have probably not talked to the fisherman yet.... Find him

luutje

thanks joacim. i went there a couple of times but he wasn't there. but now is is.

sdh

oh well. stuck again.

Spoiler

after the dwarf cave

i have garlic bread, bowl of water, rope, string, handkerchief, knife, lemon, lemon peel, shell, piece of wood and the EASTER EGG

i can't seem to find this tar that ggp got so early in the game.
[close]

bugs :

- after u try to use item 1 on item 2 (and fail), the cursor icon still indicates that u are using item 1 but it is actually item 2 that is being used. for instance, after using rope on string, the mouse cursor is still a rope but any left click will have the effect of using string.

- similarly, remove all from the metal bowl seems to make all left clicks be with metal bowl no matter what u actually selected.

annoyances :

Spoiler

it seems pedantic that u have to select the handkerchief and click it on the character to get the wax when simply looking at the handkerchief does nothing. afterall, all other cases of selecting the item and clicking it on the character produces the same result as looking at the item
[close]

luutje

sdh: you can find the tar above the well.

i need help again. i know what the dwarf wants. but its to hard. how can i make it soft?......i don't have fire or matches etc.

ggp

Spoiler
I ended up with 2 easter eggs!
[close]

luutje

never mind.......i've got it soft........i am so :-[

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
If you look to the north of the well you can see that the ground looks a little bit different.
[close]

About the bugs... I haven't tested this yet but if you have selected an item in the inventory list and use it on another item and AGS then change inventory item without updating the icon it might be a bug in AGS... or it's just my scripting that fails...

About the annoyance:
Spoiler
Looking at the handkerchief doesn't and in my opinion shouldn't untie the knot. You have to interact with it to do so... Looking at the book could mean read the book just as looking at the bowl could mean look inside the bowl so I don't consider that to be the same thing. Besides it adds to the puzzles
[close]
Thanks for the feedback....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk