Melrin: The Dragon Menace

Started by Joacim Andersson, Tue 26/10/2004 07:44:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Joacim Andersson

The third installment of Melrin is now done and ready for you to enjoy or hate....

This time a rumour has reached the royal court that a dragon is pestering the country side. So the king sends out our hero Melrin to investigate.

The GUI is very simple, Left Click = Walk, Talk, or Interact with. Right Click (on an object or other character) = Look at.
The cursor flashes when you're over a hotspot or character with which you can interact.
Move the mouse to the top of the screen to see the inventory list and to be able to save and restore a game.

If you've played Melrin 2 : The Pendant Quest, you know how to handle the magical spell bits, but if you haven't here's a short explanation:

You have a Book of Spells in your inventory, right click on it to see the magical spells available. Pick one of the spells to read on how you create it.

To actually create a spell you need to put the correct items in your bowl (or couldron). Right click on the bowl to create a spell (if you have the correct items the spell is created) or to empty the bowl (and restore the items to your inventory list).

In this game you also have a magical map on which new locations turn up as soon as you hear about them. Right click on it to have a look at it and click on a location to immediatly be transported there.

This game have more puzzles then the earlier Melrin games. Here's a couple of screen shots:

To those of you that have played the demo version I earlier release of this game: Don't think you will have such an easy time during the first part of the game.... I've made some changes and also added a couple of puzzlesÃ,  ;)

Download from here (~2.1 MB)

Enjoy...

Joacim

Joacim Andersson

I forgot to mention that in a couple of places in this game there are items that even though they are in almost plain view they might be a little hard to notice at first glance. This is because the color of the items are simular to the background. But they are all pretty large and the cursor will flash when you're over them so I hope you don't think it's to much of a pixel hunt since that wasn't my intention.

ggp

Oh excellent, i love the Melrin games! Downloading now..........

ggp

Great so far, but im stuck;
Spoiler
Ive got; Tar, hankercheif, bread, shell, lemon rind, knife, bowl. But where are the berries ? Is it something to do with the well, also where is the string ?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The berries are locked inside the garden so you need to find the key (which is well hidden). You have obviously missed an item in the Skoog Forest.
[close]

ggp

Spoiler
Ive got the lemons and something else.....cough......and have also fallen down the hole with the little man in. I dont think i have anything on me though to stop his leak ? I though it was the water to milk spell i needed to make, but i havent got the honey for that......am i just completly off track here ?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Have a closer look at your hankercheif, you need some of the water though.
[close]

sdh

stuck with the dwarf blocking the way to the hairpin

Spoiler

i have knife, lemon, lemon rind, bread, shell, handkerchief
i suspect i need a pipe but can't find one.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

You don't need to create any spells to get pass the dwarf you just have to give him the correct item.
Spoiler
You have the correct item it's just hidden.... Have a closer look at your hankercheif
[close]

ggp

Im right at the very end, but....
Spoiler
How do you sour the cream ?!
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
What have you used before that is sour?
[close]

ggp

Yay, ive finished the game, and really enjoyed it.
Didn't find any bugs, thought the puzzles were logical and think it's a job well done  :)

luutje

where can i find the lemon.  i can't get into the well. i have tar, 2 bowls, handkerchief,shell,knife,bread, and a map with only 2 places to go. please help

Joacim Andersson

You have probably not talked to the fisherman yet.... Find him

luutje

thanks joacim. i went there a couple of times but he wasn't there. but now is is.

sdh

oh well. stuck again.

Spoiler

after the dwarf cave

i have garlic bread, bowl of water, rope, string, handkerchief, knife, lemon, lemon peel, shell, piece of wood and the EASTER EGG

i can't seem to find this tar that ggp got so early in the game.
[close]

bugs :

- after u try to use item 1 on item 2 (and fail), the cursor icon still indicates that u are using item 1 but it is actually item 2 that is being used. for instance, after using rope on string, the mouse cursor is still a rope but any left click will have the effect of using string.

- similarly, remove all from the metal bowl seems to make all left clicks be with metal bowl no matter what u actually selected.

annoyances :

Spoiler

it seems pedantic that u have to select the handkerchief and click it on the character to get the wax when simply looking at the handkerchief does nothing. afterall, all other cases of selecting the item and clicking it on the character produces the same result as looking at the item
[close]

luutje

sdh: you can find the tar above the well.

i need help again. i know what the dwarf wants. but its to hard. how can i make it soft?......i don't have fire or matches etc.

ggp

Spoiler
I ended up with 2 easter eggs!
[close]

luutje

never mind.......i've got it soft........i am so :-[

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
If you look to the north of the well you can see that the ground looks a little bit different.
[close]

About the bugs... I haven't tested this yet but if you have selected an item in the inventory list and use it on another item and AGS then change inventory item without updating the icon it might be a bug in AGS... or it's just my scripting that fails...

About the annoyance:
Spoiler
Looking at the handkerchief doesn't and in my opinion shouldn't untie the knot. You have to interact with it to do so... Looking at the book could mean read the book just as looking at the bowl could mean look inside the bowl so I don't consider that to be the same thing. Besides it adds to the puzzles
[close]
Thanks for the feedback....

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The game actually contains 3 easter eggs :)
[close]

ggp

Spoiler
I did get 3, but 2 were from the same place so i didn't think the 3rd counted.....
[close]

Joacim Andersson

You shouldn't be able to get two eggs from the same location  ???

luutje

the game is too hard for me i guess. need help again.....i can't find cheese or lemon.  what to do with the bees and i can't get in the well with my rope

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You'll get information about how you get the cheese when you've got the jam.
There is a place in the Skoog Forest you haven't visited yet, sometimes you must leave the path you're walking on....
The bees are busy creatures.... They need to relax a bit.
The rope need to be anchored somehow... Read the spells and figure out what items you have and which spells you can create now.
[close]

Khris

I'm stuck, too
Spoiler
I only need to find the thing to catch my dreams...what is it and where can I get it?
[close]

Thanks

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You have to combine two things you have to create it....
[close]

ggp

Luutje you should use spoilers....you're giving away information and possibly ruining it for others.
Joacim;
Spoiler
I got an easter egg from the grave, then returned to the grave and got another one.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Thanks for the info ggp I must have made a misstake there, you should only be able to get that once.... There is one more on another location

godfreako

how do i get out of that hole after i helped the dwarf and got the pin?i have lost the map

godfreako

ok figured out that now wheress the string?

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
When you exit out into the wood again look carefully around and you'll find a rope
[close]

godfreako

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Wed 27/10/2004 02:44:13
Spoiler
When you exit out into the wood again look carefully around and you'll find a rope
[close]
i am asking for the string not the rope

Khris

Quite impolite, aren't ya?

Spoiler
use the knife on the rope...
[close]

Khris

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Tue 26/10/2004 14:21:30
Spoiler
You have to combine two things you have to create it....
[close]

Spoiler
I have (apart from spellbook and bowl containing sour cream and hotdog): map, translator, feathers, hammer, tar...am I missing something?
[close]

minor glitch:
Spoiler
you can get the hammer over and over again, probably 'cause the script only checks the inventory (actually a bug, because the barrel is said to be empty after picking up the hammer for the first time
[close]

ggb

Khrismuc;
Spoiler
Yes you are missing something.......maybe try finding some more rope......
[close]

zxc

Spoiler

stuck at the bees.
how do i get the pipe for the spell?
[close]

ggp

Spoiler
What are pipes/flutes made from ?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

khrismuc:
Spoiler
I understand how one can miss to see the second rope... It's on the Island of Gastar so you don't have to go search every screen for it. Look closely...
[close]

About the minor glitch:
Spoiler
That is not a bug... It just happens that it lives an irish leprechaun on that island named McHammer and he comes around every once in a while to make sure there is still a hammer in that barrel. Why? How would I know, he's crazy...
[close]

luutje

i am sorry for the other players........how do i use de hide spoiler?

Moox

Joacim Andersson

[ hide ] This text is hidden (well it would have been if I didn't use spaces in the hide tag) [ /hide ]

luutje

Spoiler
where can i put the honey in and where can i find milk?
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You will not find any milk. Look in the book of spells for more information about milk.
About the honey: I guess you still have a white handkerchief? You will need some red silk soon...
[close]

luutje

Spoiler
so how can i carry the honey and red silk....is that the jam? i don't know what silk is i am dutch and not good in english.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Silk is a fabric... The handkerchief is made out of silk. You have to change its color.
[close]

AGA

It's [ hide ] message [ /hide ], only without the spaces.

Jen

Ok... what do I do if

Spoiler
I'm already in the hole with the dwarf, but I don't have any water!
[close]

luutje

jen:
Spoiler
you don't need water now. you have to help the dwarf then you get water from him.
[close]

Jen

OH.... ok, I thought that...

Spoiler
I needed to the water to soften the wax... then how the heck do i spften the wax?? [\hide]
[close]

Khris

Quote from: ggb on Wed 27/10/2004 09:46:48
Khrismuc;
Spoiler
Yes you are missing something.......maybe try finding some more rope......
[close]

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Wed 27/10/2004 12:47:18
khrismuc:
Spoiler
I understand how one can miss to see the second rope... It's on the Island of Gastar so you don't have to go search every screen for it. Look closely...
[close]

I actually HAD the item, must've been the only combination I didn't try :)

luutje

jen:
Spoiler
try the fire near the door
[close]

luutje

i am stuck again.
Spoiler
what can i use so i can't get lost in the woods
[close]

luutje

yes i finished it. thanks everybody. especially joacim.

omg

joacim the tribe has spoken i need  u to bring ur torch

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: omg on Thu 04/11/2004 03:55:49
joacim the tribe has spoken i needÃ,  you to bring your torch

OK.... If I had any clue of what you're talking about I could bring you a whole burning house if you wanted me to :).

Bee921

How do you get the sea breeze for translating?

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
In what can you hear the sea when the closest ocean is 100s of miles away? Where would you find such an item?
[close]

Nansober

How  do I get past the ghost? and where do I find a feather and a hammer?  ???

Joacim Andersson

To get past the sceleton ghost:
Spoiler
You have to use a spell to shake the ghost up a bit
[close]
Feather:
Spoiler
You have to visit a place you've already been at (or maybe it's where you like to bee).
[close]
The hammer:
Spoiler
You shouldn't even know about a hammer at this point of the game!  ;)
[close]

Nansober

Thanks have another problem
Spoiler
got the ghost and met the boy roasting hot dogs and found hammer how do I get thru the forrest?
Spoiler
???
[close]
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You can not get through the forrest maze until you've helped Orvar find his cat.
[close]

SHE DEVIL

Dreamcatcher ?? I've tried everything I could think of in the inventory,I can't get it. I know it's two items but nothing works. Thanks

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Well I don't know how much information I should give you since I don't know what you have in your inventory. Have you been able to get past the sceleton ghost yet?
[close]

SHE DEVIL

Thanks for the reply, I'm at the end where I need to make the fire extinguisher spell. I have a lemon,tar feathers, rope, translator,hotdog and sourcream. I've tried every two items in the inventory to make the dreamcatcher and nothing works.

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
You've missed an item! It's on the Island of Gastar and in the room (screen) you've entered this island.
[close]

SHE DEVIL

Thanks for your help but I can't find the item. Is the item on the screen with the teleporter? 

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
No that's the hidden island of the hunters. Use the map and go to the island of gastar. Now have a close look around, especially near the trees...
[close]

Ieremiou

Great game.
I also found all three Easter Eggs.
The first one caught me by surprise, totally unexpected...
The second one was pretty much out in the open.
The third one wasn't too hard to find.
Below is just when you can access them into the game...
If you want to know exact locations I can tell ya in another post, just ask...
Spoiler

The first one can be found fairly early into the game...
The second one is about early/middle part of the game.
The third is about near end.
[close]

Also I found a few "bugs"? Just incase this may spoil peoples games...
Spoiler
You can go back and get more tar which you don't need.
You can repeatedly make yellow feathers after you made the spell but only one new yellow feather ever gets created in your inventory.
(I think it also said you made acquired a new item in your inventory each time you did it.)
After making the sour cream you can get another unnecessary lemon.
[close]

I think that's all that I ran into.
And you were pretty sneaky in hiding some things... good job.

Thanks,
/Ieremiou
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

holly

help where is the guys cat?

shy

Where is the cream and third egg?

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: holly on Sat 18/12/2004 22:44:52
help where is the guys cat?
Spoiler
On the Island of Gastar... There is a place you can go south where you obviously haven't been yet.
[close]

Quote from: shy on Sun 19/12/2004 00:09:04
Where is the cream and third egg?
Spoiler
What is cream made of? Who did you give that to? The egg... Sorry I wont tell you that :)
[close]

holly

shy

Ieremiou where is the third egg?

Joacim Andersson

You don't need the easter eggs to finish the game. Don't spoil the fun for others by revealing their positions.

shy

ok do not give me the position but how do i get invited to the feast then?

Joacim Andersson

You wont! The feast is for Melrin not for you sorry :). It's a joke, congratulations for finishing the game.

shy

Marie Nomad

Joacim Andersson

Quote from: Marie Nomad on Fri 01/04/2005 04:34:04
How do I get the bread?
Spoiler
Have you found the bakery? It's on the Normansdal Island
[close]

eb

joacim the tribe has spoken i need u to bring me ur torch

amc

Ok, clearly I'm an idiot here...

Spoiler
I can't find either the knife or the key to the berry garden, and can't figure out how to get into the well. What do I anchor the rope to? I have the lemon, bowl of water, bread, garlic, shell, handkerchief, rope, tar, & stick. I've tried every combination of things that I can think of!

I've been enjoying the games, though!

Thx...
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
Well you need the knife to create a spell to have something that can be used to anchor the rope. The knife are outside the hut on the first island (look closely near the window). The anchor must be made out of steel.
[close]

amc

Aha! Thank you!!!! Now if I could just figure out the sea breeze... :~)

Joacim Andersson

Sea breeze:

Spoiler
What can you use to hear the sea even though you might be 1000 miles from the nearest sea?
[close]

jcast

hello

I have made the dreamcatcher but I do not know how use it or make the spell

regards

jcast

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The dream catcher is used to create the fire extinguisher. To create that you also need some meat and sour cream. Do you have that? Have you been able to get rid of the sceleton ghost on the Island of Gastar? Have you found the cat?
[close]

jcast

hello

Spoiler

I have got the cream and a sausage (after finding the cat), but when I mix the 3 elementes in the bow to create the fire extinguisher it does not work.
[close]

Regards

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
That's because you need sour cream, not regular cream. What have you used before that is sour?
[close]

jcast

Hello

This weekend I've finished the game, and really enjoyed it.

Thanks everybody. especially joacim

hamish20

Where are the bees? I cannot find them anywhere.

Joacim Andersson

Spoiler
The bees are in the Kobhara Wasteland. If you can't find that place you are not yet finished in the Skoog Forest. Do you have the ceramic bowl? If not find that and get the spring water.
[close]

sunshinegold

Cannot download game. I get the following message:

This domain is parked, pending renewal, or has expired.
Please contact the domain provider with questions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk