Platformerius: the ninja incident!!111! (open source)

Started by 2ma2, Thu 10/10/2002 01:23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

2ma2

Gee, another one. How is this then. We'll for some reason, Igor called me a scripting god which ofcourse is completely untrue. To earn this trust I made a joke abut writing a platform engine in AGS.

And now I have..

So get your copy today! The zip contains the ags files containing all info about how it's been done, but it also includes some special scenes which Fruittree must have loads of credit for. So basically:

1: A compiled game, short as hell and
2: the source to the platform routines

The game doesn't end when killing the ninja, you have loads of sparetime to explore the platform functions. If you want to kick his ass again, press F9. For the legal bull, read the readme, I'm currently to tired to rewrite it nor think straight enough to put it to print in a sensible way. SO READ THE README.. unfortunate, I wrote that one aswell while beeing quite tired, but it's more comprehensible than this crap I'm writing now.

I've also included a cheap eye candy feature where you can take screen shots of the "tense" gameplay.

You can also choose in which file you'll store that particular screen by pressing 0-9, ala emulators

So with that, let's have a screenshot jam. The most unique thing you can accomplish with P:TNI and an underlying text of your choice wins.. uh.. he/she winds.. I'll get back to that m'kay?

There's yet some minor bugs which I can't bother find out why they are and they're to complicated to fix. You can suddenly fall out from the screen near the edge of that thingamob in the middle, due to the level design, but I couldn't be arsed to redraw it and it only happens if you try to slip underneath it while jumping in 1/10 tries. Also, there's some problems with the jump contra throwing stars functionality, not the delay tho', that's meant to be, but sometimes he throws it twice which should be virtually impossible..

bleh..

Ok, I'll go to bed now, have fun and see if you can find all three ways of killing of that ninja bastard ;)

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Fruittree, you'll see why and
Trapezoid, cause you provided a useful midi package, just as I went out to look for some tune to use. Cheers dude!

Click here to download

EDIT:
I've updated ILB now with this featured. The latest upload has bug fixes and adjustments as:

- Game crashing when repetadly chopping the head off
- Dying when jumping up in the center before the ninja has thrown a star
- Dying in the far right when the ninja has thrown a star
- The distance measuring when chopping the ninja has been lowered
- Stars no longer continue to fly by when you take a snapshot
- Appearing to be ducking after jumping and throwing a star is fixed

What still is quirky:

- Game crashes if you hold the s button a while after you've ran out of stars. I remembered this after the download ofcourse.
- All animations are still carried out while taking a snapshot
- The infamous "flying spånTM bug", cause I won't redraw the scene just because of that :)

agsking

Wow! That is really really cool! I love the grafix and the music are very nice. Great game!

Duzz

There's a bug:  if you stand next to the ninja guy and hack at him with your sword really fast, his head flies off everytime you slash, and the game crashes giving the "too many overlays" error.

hmmm, and also, if you jump onto where the ninja's star has exited the screen  you die like you're getting hit by the star.

hop you don't think I'm whineing, just trying to be helful :)
It looks, and plays fantasticly though, you ARE the scripting god ;)
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

evenwolf

I love that background, very flashbackish?  or something. And the animation is just stellar, jumping etc.   Lush comes to mind for some reason.  Hope someone makes well with it.  
"I drink a thousand shipwrecks.'"

Esseb

Yes, I am still awake!

This is bloody great. Didn't know it was possible to make the EGO only move while the key was held. Lovely graphics.

Small bug: First time I played I didn't see the text around the screen, with throwing stars left etc, no idea how that happened, hasn't happened again.

2ma2 - scripting satan

As I said, there's some bugs. However, the continues slashing of the poor ninja was something I didn't foresee. The error is due to executing
the "Taste my steel!" over and over every time you chop it off.

The dying from jumping where the star exited is something else I never discovered :). Open your game up and alter the destination of NSTAR to the x value of 500 or something, should fix it.

Anyho', I will probably not fix the bugs, unless I'm very very bored or something. :)

Esseb: I'll blame AGS for that one, it should be impossible to not seeing them texts.

Even: I think the word you're looking for is anotherworld:ish. The room contains the full amount of 20 colors! Ahuh?!!!1!

Thanks peeps
//2ma2 - forcing people to use palette's since 1984

Esseb

New bug: When you kill the ninja with your star, head down to the lower platform and jump up into the long green bush thingie.

Owie.

Igor

Woh! Absolutely gorgeous- this looks completely Clickteam-like (as a matter of fact, if i wouldn't know it was made in AGS, i would have thought it's from MMF or something)! And pixels are so sweet they made me want to try myself in pixel drawing too...

Btw, can i call you scripting god now? ;)

jannar85

Yay!!! Really great game Linus!! Love it! Tho... (this is a tips) maybe there should be points for each ninja killed, and after one is killed - another enters. When you've fought like 10 ninjas, you'll proceed to the next level. That would be even cooler:)

--- edit --
It's cool that it's open source:D
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Layabout

wow! this is cool and by cool i mean totally awesome!!1!!!!!
I am Jean-Pierre.

MillsJROSS

It's good to know, that should I need an action scene for my game, I have one here. Excellent gaphics, I love Trapazoids music, the intro was superb. All in all a 3 out  of 10! I mean 3 out of 3!

-MillsJROSS

cpage

I love it the animations are great

I get errors when I load it into AGS tho

Goldmund

GREAT! 2ma2 YOU ARE SOMEONE VERY SPECIAL!

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO POST THEIR FAVOURITE TACTICS!

My FAVOURITE TACTICS is to come close to the ninja, wait when he throws his shuriken, and when EGO dies by jumping up kill the ninja in this exact moment this way THEY BOTH DIE and it is FAB.

Trapezoid

Wow! This is cool! AGS can do anything!
And you used my music. Even cooler.

Pumaman

Mighty impressive, up there with Moose Wars as one of the best non-adventure games done with AGS :)

Anyway, the reason the text in the corners of the screen disappears when you die is because dying calls RestartGame, and the GUIs were off when the game started.
The solution is to place a  SetRestartPoint();  call after GUIOn(1);  in the room Enters Screen script.

2ma2

Thanks people :D Oh, an actual post from CJ in the ann forum. That was unusual ;)

So how come you're restarting in room1 instead of intro?

Cpage, make sure ure using ags51beta2 or later. The files included are:
- ac2game.ags
- ac2game.dta - I thought this seemed unimportant to to dta being teh backup file before, but the sizes weren't equalent.. how knows :)
- acsprset.spr
- editor.dat
- room1.crm

Have I forgot something important?

jan: I was supposed to have two ninjas (hence the system name NONE, as in ninja one :)) who appeared again after the've died, as setting up a highscore system. However, time lacked and I couldn't be arsed to get things up and running. I left the status texts as a display of what CAN be achieved.. as in getting hype without doing it, my favourite hobby ;)

glod: Hehe, there's loads of fine things you can accomplish. I like going down and jump to that pedestial. And then jumply jump up and chop his head off. DEATH FROM THE DEPTHS!!!!11! Have anyone managed to put a star in his forehead yet?

CURRENT BUGS. WILL BE FIXED BEFORE PRESENTED AT ILB
if you for some reason want to keep this and skip downloading it again, do this:

The star collision is triggered from the coordinates, which ofcourse is independant of the star being in the room or not. This happens when jumping up in the middle of the screen after killing th ninja before he's thrown a star. It's also related to you getting killed if being in the far right end after he's thrown one.
Solution is: look up the character NSTAR and set it's starting coordinate to 500. Alter the x value of MoveCharacterDirect(NSTAR,400,character[NSTAR].y); in the timer routine in the beinning of the rep exec to 500 aswell.

Chopping the head off several times. Well it sure is fun to continue to chop it, so either remove the DisplaySpeechBackground() function for sword collisions or simply add a condition if you prefer keeping cliché like remarks.

The unusual happenings of rare violations of the law of physics, as suddenly falling out from the screen in the sides. This happened twice, and I tried hard as hell but I couldn't make it happen other than by accident.
To fix this, read all my code and find where the problem is. Happy hunting ;)

Chris told how to keep the GUI's visible, yet I don't know how it works when they disappear :)

I ENCOURAGE GLOD AND EVERYONE TO TAKE A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR FAVOURITE TECHNIQUE, AND SHOW IT IN THIS THREAD..

..if you like :)

Pumaman

Quote from: 2ma2 on Thu 10/10/2002 21:14:22Thanks people :D Oh, an actual post from CJ in the ann forum. That was unusual ;)

Heh, yeah I'd better clarify my position in this forum.

Basically, it is my policy not to reply to threads in this forum, saying what I thought of the game. I'd like to, but then if I missed a game, I'd end up getting a mail from its author saying "I noticed you didn't reply to my game, why, didn't you like it? am I really bad?" and so on.
(Before you say anything - from experience, this will happen, I'm not being silly :) ).

However, if there are technical problems that people are having I will of course reply and why not pay a compliment at the same time. :)

Anyway, the point of me writing this is to say to everyone - the games you're all making are great, I download and play as many of them as I possibly can, and I would love to post "excellent work" replies and so on if I could. You guys definately deserve credit for all you're doing. Keep it up :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk