Frog Island

Started by LeChuck, Wed 03/11/2004 02:50:09

Previous topic - Next topic

LeChuck

Audunsoft proudly presents Frog Island v1.00!

After surviving a horrible accident, you wake up on... Frog Island! Your goal is to get past the hideous french guard with a baguette which is, of reasons unknown, stopping anyone from leaving the area. Frog Island is a short adventure game about a creature stuck on an island with a gigantic frog, an unhappy banjo player and good rhythms!

Features:

- Runs in the good old 320 x 200 resolution
- 16 bit colour
- At least 15 minutes of gameplay
- Same kind of interface as in Sam & Max
- Almost 10 different background images
- A broad variety of ingame sounds
- Cutscenes that will blow you away
- A main character with some serious personality

Screenshots:

Download

readme.txt
frog_island.zip 1.8 MB (fastest)
frog_island_installer.exe 1.8 MB (installer that creates start menu group w/ uninstaller)

Notes

I've worked on this game for a couple of months, off and on, while learning AGS at the same time. As it's my first game, please be gentle with me.

I hope you enjoy playing it, and that you leave a message on the games' homepage (http://audunsoft.moo.no) as well as here when you've tried it out!

Gregjazz

Congrats on the first game!

Backgrounds look great -- are they drawn over photographs or something?

Gilbert

HAHAHA very funny game. Animations are nice, wish it's a bit longer. PACMAN!

Spoiler

Does "GAME OVER" mean that I had actually completed the game? :=
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Whoah haa haaaa haaaaaa!!!!!!! This was one of the funniest games I've played in a long time. A bit short but very funny. 5 thumbs up (Hey! Don't make fun of me! I can't help that I have 5 thumbs, 3 on my left hand and 2 on my right.).

It's also nice to see a new Scandinavian here in the community. Welcome! Now go make a new game!!!!  :D

LeChuck

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Wed 03/11/2004 03:43:11
Congrats on the first game!

Backgrounds look great -- are they drawn over photographs or something?

The backgrounds are a mixture of original art and pieced together photographs that's been through a variety of photoshop filters and colour changes to make them look "cartoony".

For example, the second screenshot consists of 5 different parts of photographs that was filtered and changed by hand, grass texture similar to that of the fourth screenshot, and lots and lots of colour changes to give it a "tropical" and light feel.

But that's not for you to worry about, just try to enjoy the game!Ã,  ;)

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Wed 03/11/2004 04:10:40
HAHAHA very funny game. Animations are nice, wish it's a bit longer. PACMAN!

Spoiler

Does "GAME OVER" mean that I had actually completed the game? :=
[close]

Yep, sorry! The thing is that with this game, I wanted to make it as good as possible in terms of interactivity and detail, and that usually means shorter gameplay! But, making a short game that you're content with is more important than making a longer that's got this half-finished feel to it, don't you agree?Ã,  :)

Ieremiou

Oooh, C64 (Commodore 64) music.. Download.. I'm a sucker for old SID tunes now most are under the term.. Chiptunes as I've been hearing (and spreading)... :).

From the previous posts it sounds pretty good.

Nice game, very clever animations... annoying kid.
Alas, all I heard were sound effects and no music.. :-\
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

LeChuck

Quote from: Ieremiou on Sat 13/11/2004 05:10:45
Oooh, C64 (Commodore 64) music.. Download.. I'm a sucker for old SID tunes now most are under the term.. Chiptunes as I've been hearing (and spreading)... :).

From the previous posts it sounds pretty good.

Nice game, very clever animations... annoying kid.
Alas, all I heard were sound effects and no music.. :-\

Is your midi volume muted or set very low? If you don't know how to check it out, here's how: Go into Control Panel, hit Sounds and Audio Devices, and under Volume / Device Volume click Advanced (It's possible that you have a shortcut to this in your traybar). How is Midi synth positioned? Try dragging it all the way to the top. I can't think of anything else... it's just an ordinary AGS game.  ???

Ieremiou

EDIT

I figured it out. It was a weird problem on my side... for some reason when I had Use Default Devices on my Sound Setup in Windows unchecked the Midi would not play properly... But when I checked it and ran your game again it worked great...

Strange, but that's was the issue. Not volume or anything else just a weird Windows Use Default Devices issue. :-\
Ieremiou
-----------

Love of Adventure games everywhere :)

monkey0506

Quote from: LeChuck on Wed 03/11/2004 02:50:09The ingame music might be a little unoriginal, I am aware of that, but I thought it fitted the game somehow. It's likely to get changed at a later point though, as I'm not entirely sure Lucasarts likes that people use their music in home made games...

Of course LucasArts doesn't like people using their copyrighted material without even giving them credit for it. Put them in the credits or they could make you change the music. But LucasArts isn't so bad as they used to be about making people change stuff like that. They haven't done much in that area since Fate of Monkey Island game 4 or 5 (I think it was 4 or 5?)... This game was funny. But it was so horrible. wait... how do you put a spoiler?

Spoiler
You hit that kid in the head with a shovel, and then you shove a grenade down the frog's throat and kill it as well as the guard. That's not cool...
[close]

But still a funny game...

Edwin Xie

Heh, the ending was....ha......ha......HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!  :D
Moving at superhigh speed getting to the planet called Earth. But it is boxed in white......thing.....

Phemar

A Grim Fandango Fandango fan then, eh?

Haha good game. I love violent games. Games with a sick sense of humour.

Good Job.

LeChuck

Quote from: monkey_05_06 on Sat 20/11/2004 20:30:55

Of course LucasArts doesn't like people using their copyrighted material without even giving them credit for it. Put them in the credits or they could make you change the music. But LucasArts isn't so bad as they used to be about making people change stuff like that.

Oh, they are mentioned in the readme file, check under "Legal Stuff"...

This game was funny. But it was so horrible. wait... how do you put a spoiler?

Spoiler
You hit that kid in the head with a shovel, and then you shove a grenade down the frog's throat and kill it as well as the guard. That's not cool...
[close]

But still a funny game...

Did you honestly feel sorry for the frog? I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I would have thought the sound effects made the voilence more acceptable / funny. I don't think the voilence in Frog Island is worse than what you see in any random episode of Tom & Jerry.

Also, hitting that kid in the head (isn't he all head?) with a shovel was your choice, you could've finished the game without knocking him out, or even ruining his sand castle! Shame on you!

PS: I loved your description of the voilence in the game, it warms my heart every time I read it.Ã,  :)

lakerz

Quote from: LeChuck on Fri 26/11/2004 16:23:21
Also, hitting that kid in the head (isn't he all head?) with a shovel was your choice, you could've finished the game without knocking him out, or even ruining his sand castle! Shame on you!

Haha, that was the funniest part of the game for me.  Wonder how many people just automatically trampled the poor tyke's sand castle and then wacked him with a shovel just because?  :P

Stitch

Short little game, which I liked. Kudos

HillBilly

Great little game. I loved it.

Nethros

Spoiler
I've found the fishing bait, but how can I get the container for it? And how do I repair the banjo?
[close]

HillBilly

Spoiler
Try looking at the tree where the frog is. That should help you.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk