Quest For Glory: A Hero's Death

Started by poc301, Mon 15/11/2004 15:16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

poc301

http://www.cmtonline.net/qfg/qfg-herodeath.zip

Main site: http://www.cmtonline.net/qfg/index.html

The server is being strange Ã, >:(Ã,  Ã,  My buddy said he is doing maintenance and it may sputter periodically here and there for the next day.Ã,  It is up now though.

SCREENSHOTS:
#1 ) Warrior Information Screen

#2 ) Spielburg Throneroom

#3 ) Gnome Ann's Inn in Silmaria after slaughter of city

#4 ) Room upstairs at the Inn

Man I hate Tripod...  These pics work if you Right Click the link, and choose Copy Shortcut.  Then open a new window and paste the URL into the browser.  Sorry :(

The game is still in its infancy beta-demo test stage, but the first level is working and able to be completed.Ã,  There is still a lot of coding, touchup, etc, etc, to be done, so keep that in mind while playing it.

STORYLINE/PLOT:
You are the son of the hero from the original Quest For Glory series of games.Ã,  The game takes place 30 years after the ending of the Dragon Fire game.Ã,  Your father (the hero) was a world famous fighter, and married Elsa von Spielburg.Ã,  The two became King and Queen of Silmaria and ruled prosperously for years.Ã,  When you reached your 17th year of age, you are sent for 'toughening up' to the Barony of Spielburg to serve your Uncle Barnard von Spielburg.Ã,  You are there for two years when you get word that Silmaria was invaded in the night by a mysterious invasion force.Ã,  99% of Silmaria is missing, even the corpses are gone.Ã,  You rush home to try and find what happened.Ã, 

This game takes place in all previous lands of the other QFG games and 1 more land newly created for this game.

Check the website for info on the battle system, class progression system, and other features.

Bill Garrett

sedriss

By the time you read this you've already read it.

poc301

Thanks for the link.  Here they are :

WARRIOR INFO SCREEN

THRONEROOM IN SPIELBURG

GNOME ANN'S INN AFTER MASSACRE

UPSTAIRS IN THE INN

Radiant

This seems like a good effort with a lot of time put into it. Keep up the good work!

Some thoughts...
I'm assuming the statistics screen is a placeholder? You should keep the stats to the left and the skills to the right. You may want to consider adding some new skills (or dropping some old ones). It would also be nice to start with different spells than in the original.
I believe showing Ann Agramma like that is gross and uncalled for.
Story-wise, I would like to point out that if the main character is anything but a fighter, sending him to Uncle Barnard would not be appropriate. Also I do believe Elsa hates her brother's guts, and quite possibly so does the Prince of Shapeir. By the way do you wish to hardcode the assumption that the Prince of Shapeir is indeed a fighter, and that he married Elsa? Because when most people finish QfGV, that is not actually the case. It seems to have no bearing on the story anyway, since he and his wife have just disappeared.
Also story-wise, it seems strange that, given the distance between Spielburg and Silmaria, the hero's son arrives just in time to rescue an infant from the burning house.
I can understand about the turn-based combat as that would allow for some interesting strategies, but why exactly are you using levels in a QfG game?

By the way - you may want to know that Vivendi sent a Cease & Desist order to shut down Quest for Glory 4.5. I am unsure why they have done this since they haven't (to my knowledge) attempted to shut down other fangames, but do be aware of the risk.

BerserkerTails

QuoteBy the way - you may want to know that Vivendi sent a Cease & Desist order to shut down Quest for Glory 4.5. I am unsure why they have done this since they haven't (to my knowledge) attempted to shut down other fangames, but do be aware of the risk.

They have also sent a cease and desist to LucasFan for his "Quest for Orgy" games.
I make music.

Blackthorne

Interesting idea - I wish you luck.Ã,  One thing you should consider is unifying your graphic appearance somewhat.Ã,  The original QFG series used the 320x200 resolution for the CLASSIC Sierra Feel.Ã,  With a little editing, the QFGV stuff could be made to look like that.

x2 - From QFGV

x2 - From QFGI

- resized image; used a pixelate/mosiac filter on low setting
- reduced colors

Good luck!

Bt

-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

poc301

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 16/11/2004 18:26:05
Some thoughts...
I'm assuming the statistics screen is a placeholder? You should keep the stats to the left and the skills to the right. You may want to consider adding some new skills (or dropping some old ones).

Nope, the stat screen is the stat screen.  I wasn't planning on revamping it, but I might.  Nothing is set in stone :)

It would also be nice to start with different spells than in the original.

The spells are just placeholders.  All the spells in the game are there now, and I haven't decided upon which ones to begin with.  There are a few new ones and a bunch old oldies but goodies.

I believe showing Ann Agramma like that is gross and uncalled for.

I was trying to show the barbarism involved in what went down in Silmaria.  I figured the shock of showing a gnome with a heart of gold treated in such a manner would drive home the point.

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 16/11/2004 18:26:05Story-wise, I would like to point out that if the main character is anything but a fighter, sending him to Uncle Barnard would not be appropriate. Also I do believe Elsa hates her brother's guts, and quite possibly so does the Prince of Shapeir. By the way do you wish to hardcode the assumption that the Prince of Shapeir is indeed a fighter, and that he married Elsa? Because when most people finish QfGV, that is not actually the case. It seems to have no bearing on the story anyway, since he and his wife have just disappeared.

Good point.  But yes, I am hardcoding it into the storyline, as the plot of the game and how it progresses relies HEAVILY on that storyline having taken place after the original set of games.  I toyed with the idea of allowing the player dictate whom their father married, and have it reflect on the plot, but it wasn't practical.  I think the plotline is pretty well done.  But it does rely upon the fact that the dad was a Fighter and married Elsa.

Also story-wise, it seems strange that, given the distance between Spielburg and Silmaria, the hero's son arrives just in time to rescue an infant from the burning house.

Hmm...  VERY good point.  I hadn't thought of that...  Thanks.

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 16/11/2004 18:26:05I can understand about the turn-based combat as that would allow for some interesting strategies, but why exactly are you using levels in a QfG game?

I liked the stat increasing automatically thing from the original series of games.  However I also like Level-Based RPGs which allow you to tweak your stats as you see fit.  This way the stats auto-increase as you use them, but you get an allocation of a few stat points with each level-up (not integrated in the demo) to divy up as you see fit on each level-up.

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 16/11/2004 18:26:05By the way - you may want to know that Vivendi sent a Cease & Desist order to shut down Quest for Glory 4.5. I am unsure why they have done this since they haven't (to my knowledge) attempted to shut down other fangames, but do be aware of the risk.

Ouch.  All I can hope is that they don't with me.  :(

Blackthorne :

That is a great idea.  I may just do that!  Thanks!

Bill

Fog

I love the concept of the game, I agree with BT, make the game in the same style. I'd be willing to help you with backgrounds and original ones.

replie if you are interrested. Ã, ;D

poc301

Quote from: Fog on Sun 21/11/2004 20:53:42
I love the concept of the game, I agree with BT, make the game in the same style. I'd be willing to help you with backgrounds and original ones.

replie if you are interrested. Ã, ;D

Thanks, but the game is on the backburner for the moment.  I got sidetracked with another project :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk