'The Next Curse' converted to latest AGS version (2.5)

Started by fidodido, Sat 12/10/2002 16:24:21

Previous topic - Next topic

fidodido

I've converted 'The Next Curse' to the latest version of AGS, and fixed some bugs and other things.

Things that was changed in this updated version:
1.  AGS 2.4 > AGS 2.5.
2.  Mouse cursor disappears in WAIT modes, what makes the game smoother.
3.  A bug that might get the player to be STUCK (in the Museum) was fixed.
4.  Several tiny bugs were fixed.
5.  The player can skip the introduction sequence.

Download it here: The Next Curse

-

Thanks a lot for updating it! I hope it will work now.

-

I`m completely stuck...

Spoiler
what`s to do with the dead owl. I have the money from the green lantern manager, the toy mouse and some other stuff...
[close]

fidodido

das TOBI - AS:

First: is the game working fine now? Let me know please.

Second: You asked for it...

Spoiler
Use the axe on the dead owl to cut its stomach, and now you can take blood from it (with the test tube).
[close]

-

Spoiler
I`ve already done that... but the test cube...? Where can I get it?
[close]

Yes, the game works perfectly!

-

Spoiler
ok, it`s solved so far... I have the owl blood and the salt. But I don`t know, how to get rid of the guardian in the museum.
[close]

fidodido

Important bug notify.

Everyone who got stuck in the museum (getting rid of the guard), read this:

Spoiler
There's a slight problem - if you took the nails before taking the sign, you'll be stuck. It shouldn't have happend, but I accidentely made the NAILS hotspot too big, and it was bigger than the SIGN object. You see, the nails shouldn't be active before you take the sign. If you had this problem, you can start the game from the point before you took the nails, or you can download the game again - I've updated the file.
[close]

I'm very sorry for this annoying problem.

fidodido

Hey, people...

I havn't heard from any of you a long time.

Has anyone finished the quest? What do you think about it?

A lot of people downloaded the game, but I get very few replies.

-

I`m still waiting for a hint, so I wasn`t able to finish it....

fidodido

Tobi - did you download the game again after I notified about the bug in the museum?

-

I havent this problem you speak about... which nails do you mean? I haven`t any nails.

fidodido

Tobi - here are some hints:

Note: start by reading the first hint only, and if you're stuck again, proceed to the next hint, and so on...

HINT 1:
Spoiler
To get rid of the guard, you have to go to the second room of the museum, and spill blood on the giant.
[close]

HINT 2:
Spoiler
Then, you have to use the camera on the giant, and bring the photo to the guard. The guard will go to the other room to check the giant.
[close]

HINT 3:
Spoiler
Now you have to lock the guard in the giant's room: pick up the big sign, and use it on the entrance to the giant's room. Then take the nails from where the sign was, with the crowbar. Use the nails on the sign.
[close]

Good luck...

-

thanks for giving me some hints in one post... The first one could help next...

Snake

Fido, your game is really good! I've really enjoyed it so far. I need to download it on my computer cause I downloaded it on my cousin's and played there.

Looks like only me and Tobi downloaded it so far..according to this thread anyway. What a friggin shame. The others don't know what they are missing, it really is great (so far ;) ).

I guess what stalled me from downloading it when you first posted this thread (just downloaded this afternoon) were the two screenshots you show. The graphics didn't look that appealing, but they grow on ya after playing and they fit perfect :)

Everyone needs to play this. It's fun, the music is GREAT (I absolutly love the music in the museum) and it's got some excellent scripting :)

A must download me thinks, at least, I'm enjoying it pretty well :)

Two snakes up!

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Squinky

fidodido

Quote from: Snake on Fri 08/11/2002 02:27:11Looks like only me and Tobi downloaded it so far..according to this thread anyway....

According to the Games Page - Medium Length Games, the game was downloaded 218 times so far...  It's just that very few people replied in this thread.

-

Hmpf, I haven`t seen before, that everybody is able to add his games to the list of the AGS-Games... now I`ve first seen it.
Ok, I will check it out.

Thanks for your help. I finished and the game was especially great.... !

Quickstrike

I found it very intertaining, humorous, and I like the ending.
Spoiler
The scarecrow being Erwin's Grandfather, I didn't see that one coming
[close]
"You know something people,  I'm not black, but there's a whole buncha times I wish I could say 'I'm not white'"-Frank Zappa, "Trouble Every Day"

fidodido

Hi all,

Has anyone found any bugs in the game? If so, post them here please.
And I'm still waiting for more comments about the game, from those who are playing it or played it.

Snake

I finaly got around to playing it again last night. I'm still at the beginning but I'm afraid I'm stuck. Can I have a hint?
Spoiler
I've got the: Crowbar, cheese on the fork, axe, red scarf, fake cat, sign.
I know I need to switch the cat in the museum with the preserved one, and somehow get the mouse out of the hole..but I need a hint ;) Thanks
[close]

--Snake

fidodido

Snake,

Spoiler
To switch the cats, you obviously have to get rid of the guard. Think about a thing you can do to make him go to the second museum room (the room to the left). What could possibly make him go there? Maybe he'll need to check for someone's condition? About the mouse thing, you have to add another thing to the "cheese on fork", something that will make the mouse go for the cheese and "eat it forever" (if you know what I mean...)
[close]

If it didn't help you, post again and I'll provide you with more specific hints.

2ma2

Ok, I've spent a couple of days playing this now. It's quite good, tho' the gameplay is a bit slow. It may be psychological but the anti-glide mode really bugs me due to the low amount of walking frames. But enough about that.

The plot is quite strange, very mysterious yet it gives one no real urge to find out more. But you do fiddle around with very interesting enviroements and characters, I tell you that. The game has alot of pros, but alot of cons aswell, so it's hard to make a judgement.

The graphics works well, especially the more bizarre creations like the cashier :)..

I'm stuck about in the same place as Snake
Spoiler
I've dipped the cheese in tar, but I need to color it yellow. HOw the hell do I get that deaf colordude to hear me?

How do I.. "do" something to the giant, so the guard will leave (ok, with this one I got help from your spoiler, but I'm still stuck.

I've got apart from the cheese, a fony cat, a scarf, an axe and I think that's about it ;)
[close]

ratracer

Ok, now I'm curious.
It seems very difficult, though, as people keep asking for hints...

Maybe you should do a walkthrough?

fidodido

Ratracer - that's a good idea, I'll start working on a walkthrough, it will be up very shortly.

Until then, here are some hints for 2ma2:

Spoiler
The colorman has some sort of 'screaning system'. You have to ask someone how it works, by showing him something that belongs to the colorman. About the giant, you have to make him look dead or injured, and then you tell the guard to check up on him. Note: in order to get the object that you'd use on the giant, you have to do a lot of things you havn't yet done, so I advise you to start working on the mouse thing first.
[close]

Good luck.

Snake

Alright...
Spoiler
I've got to give scarecrow 3 things to make the happy potion. I've already gave him the salt water. I need blood.
???
I've tried killing the pig, but that was a no-go. I'm guessing I have to kill the owl? I've tried getting the owl down by showing him the mouse toy, but that didn't work...
Then I'm guessing I put blood on the giant.
[close]

thanks..

--Snake

fidodido

I finished writing the walkthrough. Here it is.

The Next Curse Walkthrough

Enjoy.

Snake

it won't work
When I open it up it displays a window saying:
"Wordpad has caused an error in
MSWRD832.CNV
Wordpad will now close."

--Snake

fidodido

I saved the file as an Office XP Document, so you must have XP to view it. I'm so stupid...

Anyway, I saved it as an HTML now, and it should work for everyone:

The Next Curse Walkthrough (HTML)

Have fun.

Snake

Spoiler
Sorry to say Fido, but I think the sign blocking the door puzzle is totally unnessesary. The Gaurd is in the other room, why would you have to nail the sign to close the entrance? You'd just call way more attention to yourself rather than swiftly switching the 2 items off the table :(
Where the hell are the nails? I went back to where the sign was and there isn't anything there. I also click the crowbar on the sign in the inventory, but that was a no go also. Is this a bug?
Anyway, like I said. I think the boarding the door up puzzle isn't nessesary at all. I would have never guessed to do that. At least not with the sign. Maybe if the character had found some boards and nails and there was some hint of having to board something up.
[close]

--Snake

fidodido

Snake:

Spoiler
First, about your problem: I think we are talking about a different sign here. You have to pick up the MUSEUM SIGN, when the guard is in the other room, and put this sign in the entrance, and then take the nails (which you'd see clearly) and use them on the 'blocker'. I think you accidently thought I'm talking about the COLOR SIGN...
[close]

Spoiler
Second, about my problems: you may have a point about the necessaty of the lock-the-guard puzzle. Nevertheless, there are some points that justify this extra puzzle, and even some little clues that may lead you to this action: 1) When you left-click the sign while the guard is present, Bill tells you "not while the guard is here", which means you'd probably take the sign at some point. 2) The guard is deaf, so he probably won't hear all the blocking process (the nailing). 3)When you try to switch the cats while the guard is in the other room, Bill tells you "the guard might come back soon, it's too risky".
[close]

So, I understand that you wrote your points after only looking at the walkthrough, and you haven't actually done all those things in the game. I think it would make more sense to you after you do the blocking thing inside the game, and I'll be happy to hear your response after that.

- Fido

Pet Terry

Ok, I finished game yesterday and I really enjoyed it! The plot is good, puzzles pretty hard (good thing) and musics are really good. Keep up the good work!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

fidodido

Hi everyone,

I was thinking about making a sequel to The Next Curse, and I'd like to know what you think - should I make a sequel?

I have several plot ideas in my mind, but I don't want to start until I know what those of you who finished the game think about making a sequel.

Fido.

minataure

I definitely think you should do a sequel, fidodido!I enjoyed your game very much and I'm always looking fot this kind of games!Don't waste any time and start!!!

ramon82

Live today and forget tomorrow

Elad

that was excellent, i really enjoyed it

and I really liked all those seinfeld stuff.....

lyn

Quote from: fidodido on Mon 18/11/2002 00:20:42
Hi all,

Has anyone found any bugs in the game? If so, post them here please.
And I'm still waiting for more comments about the game, from those who are playing it or played it.

HELP!!!!
i played through your game (very good) but i have got stuck the cashier wont let me have the toy cat and when i click on the cat it tells me that its of no use i thought perhaps i had missed doing something so i found your walkthrough but found i had done all that and more and still couldnt get toy cat, so i started again and followed your walkthrough step by step and still no toy cat please help

FEEZ1A

im sorry but i seem to have discovered a bug, i cant get the toy cat it keeps saying cant see the use even though i have done everything else, so i started again using your walkthrough step by step and yet i still cant get the toy cat what am i doing wrong,  i love the game thus far but am frustrated as i cant get any further.

fidodido

As far as I remember, you have to look at the toy cat, and then talk to the cashier.

FEEZ1A

I have looked at the cat and then gone to the cashier who has asked me if i have seen anything i like and i always reply i will keep looking.

Reptile

A very nice game. Just work a bit more on your backgrounds but overall a very cool game. 7/10
(Signature removed due to violation of image size rules).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk