January MAGS

Started by Klaus, Tue 04/01/2005 00:36:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again we have a topic where game authors can show their creativity as there are not that many restrictions:

Zoo

- One of your locations (of at least three) must be a zoo.
You could for example start the game in a zoo like in "The box that ate time" or use an animal that wants to escape as main character. Even better ideas may come to your mind. Just don't forget the zoo :)

- At least three different species must appear in the game.
This is not limited to the "usual" species. Own creations are also welcome.

- Include a gag or reference to a known movie start animal like Flipper or Lassie - there exist many more...

- No other restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by January 28th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Necro

I signed up for the ATC , and wanna do something inbetween just so I'm used to the new AGS version becaus I havn't used it in a while, so if anyone has a story for this mags , or wants to draw some bg or sprites for it , or just collaborate in general PM me!

Czar

Damn.
Again no Santa Claus.
You could have at least put some snow as a must!
;)

C.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Indie Boy

question- Can the animal be from a cartoon or tv program?
2nd- Does the 1 species include the ego ?
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

Arcangel

Adding to the question of Potter, the animal can be Cerberus of the animated series Hercules. Or it can be also of a video game (Kingdom Hearts) where Cerberus appears.

The species can be a fictitious creature, which does not exist or has become extinct.

Klaus

Quote from: Czar on Sat 08/01/2005 17:15:25
Damn. Again no Santa Claus.
And again you can use Santa as a character in your game if you wish like in all other MAGS competitions through the whole year. ;)

Quote from: Potter on Mon 10/01/2005 17:00:46
question- Can the animal be from a cartoon or tv program?
2nd- Does the 1 species include the ego ?
1) Yes - this would also refer to the gag/reference rule.
2) Actually it was meant as the player character plus 3 species.

Quote from: DarkArcangel on Mon 10/01/2005 20:17:25
the animal can be Cerberus of the animated series Hercules. Or it can be also of a video game (Kingdom Hearts) where Cerberus appears.
The species can be a fictitious creature, which does not exist or has become extinct.
Yes, go for it. This also works.

cpage

- One of your locations (of at least three) must be a zoo.
You could for example start the game in a zoo like in "The box that ate time" or use an animal that wants to escape as main character. Even better ideas may come to your mind. Just don't forget the zoo :)
can the whole game take place in a zoo as long as it has at least 3 rooms or does it have to have 3 locations?

Klaus

Quote from: cpage on Tue 11/01/2005 10:13:16
can the whole game take place in a zoo as long as it has at least 3 rooms or does it have to have 3 locations?
No - it should be three different locations.

AGS-GD

Since tomorrow is the deadline for submitting games I want to share my little unfortunate story with you.

At first I decided to participate, then I came up with the story, then I started drawing the scenes, then someone volunteered to do all the art work and animation for the project, and just yesterday Jan-22 he told me that he doesn't have the time and didn't do a thing, I felt extremely disappointed but the good news is that I still have a copy of the first scene that I drew.

Of course I won't be able to make the game in two days specially that I have a full time job and loads of life commitments but I'm pretty sure that I can finish it prior to the end of this month.

If it is to be accepted as an entry to this month's MAGS I'd be so happy, if not I'll finish it anyway but I will be really disappointed.

Long live adventure games,
AGS-GD

Neil Dnuma

I'm currently hard at work on my own little Zoo game, and nearly there (some testing to do, and then the intro, and a bunch of other details)... but if AGS-GD is given a little extra time, I wouldn't mind.

Then I could "polish" a little more myself.

But I guess it's up to others to decide. :)

Klaus

Okay - no entries, no winners  :o

No, just kidding - there are two requests to expand the working time. So let's do it like this: All games need to be in within friday 28th January. So we at least have the weekend for voting. Now don't hesitate to submit your entries and I'm hoping for a minimum of two of them this time... See you on friday :)

Neil Dnuma

Yes, finally you can be a kangaroo. At least for a little while.
Download "Zooreal" at: http://neildnuma.brinkster.net/zooreal/zooreal.zip
It's 13.5 Mb... I dunno, prob because of all 32 bits going into it. I'll try to less bit-hungry next time.

It's my first game (I found AGS two months ago), so don't expect too much, just have a little fun!Ã,  ;)

Takara

That's really good fun :)Ã,  And very impressive for your first game :)

I have to admit, I'm a little stuck though... I've rescued everyone except Freddy... I have lots of random items but they don't seem to be helping!Ã,  ???Ã,  A little hint would be greatly appreciated!Ã,  ;D

Takara.

Takara

Okay, ignore me :)  After giving in and asking for helped I then noticed the one thing I hadn't tried :)  They're all rescued now! Woo :)

Again, great game :)

Takara.

Gilbert

Please edit your posts instead of double posting (as it's only 5 minutes apart), also, hints request can be done in that game's announcement thread in the Completed Games forum or in the Hints forum.
This helps to make this thread more readible, thank you. :=

Indie Boy

Its funny I started a game for this months mags(notice not finished) and the ego was a kangaroo!
I won't use this login.
Try IndieBoy instead

AGS-GD

When worse comes to worse ...

That's not the name of my entry, it's just how I would describe my luck with this one ...

Anyways, I really hate when I miss deadlines, below are screenshots of my game, which will be posted online after 10 hours from now, and I hope it gets listed as a JAN-MAGS game, otherwise I'll kill myselfÃ,  :P

My internet service provider decided that today is the time to do some maintenance, and I'm having trouble uploading the game over a 33.6 connection! -I'm in an Internet Cafe' now-

I'll see what I can do to fix this and upload the game ASAP -no longer than 10 hours from now-

Long live adventure games,
AGS-GD

Mats Berglinn

AGS-GD, if you don't get the game finished in time you always can expand the game size or at least make the puzzles slightly harder than you originally intend to. There's no need to be shamed. I too have missed the deadline once even if I gave up that game at the time. Just a thought though, do whatever you feel is right.

Klaus

Okay now. The second deadline ist over and 10 more extra extra hours (or is it 30 hours already) are also gone. We should come to an end. I'm really sorry for Rani (AGS-GD) but I have to go with Mats' comment about the time limit - remember that the original end was 6 days ago.

So this time the cup goes to Neil Dnuma and his entry Zooreal.

On the one hand I'm happy that he won the contest with his first AGS game just like Rani did some months ago. That's why I'm also sure that Rani won't be too sad about the whole thing now as he already once set the rules for a month's competition... On the other hand only one entry is not that much of a competition. But as it is always said: It's not that much about to win - it's about creating nice games for entertainment and having fun.

Rani: Of course your game will also be listed on the MAGS site after you published it and it gets a second chance on next year's Maggies and like all other games in the annual AGS awards. So please don't be sad and keep up your good work.

Neil: Thanks for your nice game and congratulations. After this great start we're now waiting for more of this kind of adventures from you :) (Please check your PM)

AGS-GD

Klaus, thanks a lot for your patience with me, I really consider that a success by itself ...

I've had learned lots of lessons from this month's MAGS, and after all I'm happy with myself as I did finish the game after all in about a week of time and within the month of Jan :) and after all I'm so glad that my game will be listed ...

Neil: Congratulations, I really enjoyed your game, keep up the good work,Ã,  I adored the huge number of nice animations in the game, and the water in the fish bowl blew meÃ,  away :) -I managed to finish it without a single hint-

I've just managed to upload and actually finish a few unfinished things on the game, the time now is 4:11 A.M, and I really can't wait to get back home and sleeeeeeeeeep.

The link to the game:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=493

Tomorrow I'll add some info and screen shots, and I'll put a post on the completed games forum.

Klaus, I can never thank you enough for all your hard work and for being so nice, thanks.

Mats Berglinn, thanks a lot man, it's a great advise that you gave, I thought of it, but decided then to finish this entry in time rather than adding more content to it because I'm already participating in the ATC and I want to put all my efforts and pressure on that one instead.

Long love adventure games,
AGS-GD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk